The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 12:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

The "Carrington" dress is awful. It looks like something from my 1980 closet. I liked it then, but no reason on this Earth to bring back something so dated. I do like the color though. It would have been nice in satin-backed silk crepe or lightweight wool crepe.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Aristocracy

I've seen this dress before...on Madonna. Is this the same dress?

http://bit.ly/jarTKk

Old 06-14-2011, 12:20 PM
Courtier

I thought this was interesting:

Grazia Fashion: Kate Bought Her Dress In The Joseph Sale But Not THAT Dress!

The blogger mentions Kate buying this Stella McCartney dress on sale and that Madonna also wore the same dress for the 2008 AmFar Gala.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Aristocracy

The McCartney dress is a problem. I dislike the salmon color for one thing. It's hard to tell from the picture exactly what the cut is, but a couple of sites are showing Madonna in what appears to be the same dress. If that's what it really looks like, it reminds me of a design that was very popular in the 70's but wasn't very attractive: a sort of belted shirtwaist with a floppy bow at the neck. The Duchess seems to look better in it than Madonna did, but again, it's hard to tell.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Aristocracy

Oh, thank you for the link. I'm pleased to know I spotted it correctly! :)
Old 06-14-2011, 01:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Now that is one ugly dress IMO but I agree IO cannot stand Stella McCartney so just that would turn me off but it actually looks better on Macdonna.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:14 PM
Majesty

You know the dress/piece of clothing is a no-no when it looks better on Madonna. Yeah, Catherine, this dress is hideous. This is the first Stella McCartney that I've seen, and based on that alone, I'm not thrilled.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Kate Middleton: Duchess of Cambridge looks to Hollywood fashion | Mail Online
Old 06-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Nobility

Good Grief..

Do Not care for this one AT ALL>>>.

too retro for me...
Old 06-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Courtier

I have never seen anything by McCartney that I liked. IMO, her name has a lot to do with her "success". I hope that is the last dress by McCartney we see. If Catherine wants to try more color or a different style better that she makes another choice.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Serene Highness

Love the coral colour
Old 06-14-2011, 04:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...36_306x555.jpg

From what we can see, not liking the dress. Maybe there is a full view shot later on.

Red shiny dress at Prince Philip 90th Bday private family dinner. Doesnt look like one of my favourites on Kate!
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...12_306x713.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...36_306x555.jpg
The worst part is it's so wrinkly....

It's just vey unflattering
Old 06-14-2011, 05:28 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
The worst part is it's so wrinkly....

It's just vey unflattering
I agree, a good steam on the dress before wearing would make the silk look much better. It also looks like the curl in her hair fell out from the day before. I get it, it happens and I can't expect her to blow dry and curl her hair everyday.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Again as previously stated, if Madonna looks better in the dress that's telling me something at least.

I do like the color but the design and shape of the dress do nothing for Kate. It kind of hangs there, no definition of where her waist is, just not becoming at all.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:40 PM
Nobility

I liked the dress. I think it looks good on her. It's shiny and the color brings out her skin and it makes me think of her special reality, which I imagine is particular and out of the plain. She shines and we or I know it.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:51 PM
Royal Highness

I think the colour really suits her, but there's a frumpy aspect to the style which is unecessarily fussy. I'm not a fan of the neckline either. However Kate still manages to look okay.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:59 PM
Heir Apparent

It's a very 70s look so the wearer need to be fashion forward with hair and accessories or strong personality

which is why Madonna pull it off so successfully. But my problem is that it's wrinkled and sacklike on Catherine's frame. But these are pictures of a private event where she'd been spending a few hours sitting at dinner hanging with family, of course it's wrinkled.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:02 PM
Courtier

McCartney= overrated IMHO.
Color is nice.
Otherwise it is NOT a good choice, I actually think Madonna looks better in the dress than Catherine.
Advice=it should go in the charity bin. :)
Sometimes buying things on sale just really don't work.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Dress is too shiny and thus has a creased effect too it - by looking at it you would think it was a cheap cast off rather than costing (in the original price not the sale price Kate paid) quiet abit

Old 06-14-2011, 06:29 PM
Aristocracy

Location: Somewhere in a hole in the wall town in Wisconsin, United States
The color-yes
The design-absolutely not.

Closed Thread