The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Aristocracy

I love Catherine's hair. It's healthy and suits her. As she gets older she will probably change it, most women do...let her sort it out.

MM

Old 08-14-2011, 04:33 PM
Courtier

IMO, Cathering should do what she is most comfortable with, within reason. She is adjusting enough to life in the BRF and if everything changed at once it would be very strange for her. At the same time, it is completely true, IMO, that whatever she does will draw negative criticism from some quarters, it is literally a no win situation and the best thing for her is to do what she is comfortable with. I think she has beautiful hair and I loved it pulled back as she wore it the evening of the purple dress in Canada, a very good compromise for those more dressy events. However, we do KNOW that if she did that on a frequent basis there would be people who complained ... as I recall some people also knocked that hair style. Again, as I say, a no winner for Catherine. So ... please yourself Duchess of Cambridge.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Princess Beatrice has long hair.

I adore Catherine's hair, I think it is one of her best assets. I'd be upset to see her cut it off. It looks so touchable!

I thought the Royal women all took hairdressers with them on these visits, and when they attend Royal gatherings in Europe. They are often seen having to wear tiara's and such with their hair up, which I doubt many could do themselves and their husband wouldn't be of much use!
Princess Beatrice is in her early twenties and is not going to be the Queen of England.

I think the point is that yes, some people will prefer Catherine's hair down, but it's about what looks dignified and elegant. I'm sure some people would prefer the Queen to wear different hats, but she wears hats that allow people to get a good look of her face. That's what being a good royal is about - being aware that you have an audience. Catherine's hair would look great on a magazine cover, but she's not a normal celebrity. It seems like every public event is more of a chance for her to play dress-up than anything else. She looked so different and more stately with her hair up:

http://catherine-middleton.org/Photo...normal_071.jpg

Contrast this to shopping before the wedding:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-nE_ZQ97SME...opping-001.jpg

Valentino said: "She has to do something with this long hair because that is very important. To be a future queen, she can't keep her hair this long." And he's not exactly Vivienne Westwood :P

Do you guys seriously think that wearing her hair up more often will be too traumatic because it's supposedly changing who she is? She's a royal now: most of the things she does will be different. There's a difference between being a crowd-pleaser and being a future queen.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:03 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess-royal View Post
Princess Beatrice is in her early twenties and is not going to be the Queen of England.

I think the point is that yes, some people will prefer Catherine's hair down, but it's about what looks dignified and elegant.
But some (like me) think she looks just as dignified and elegant with her hair down.

Quote:
It seems like every public event is more of a chance for her to play dress-up than anything else. She looked so different and more stately with her hair up:
Not everyone thought that though. There were some in her thread that didn't like that updo. If I recall correctly, a few thought it was too aging or too messy. I think someone even said that updo's don't suit her face and preferred her hair down. It's really all a matter of opinion.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar
But some (like me) think she looks just as dignified and elegant with her hair down.

Not everyone thought that though. There were some in her thread that didn't like that updo. If I recall correctly, a few thought it was too aging or too messy. I think someone even said that updo's don't suit her face and preferred her hair down. It's really all a matter of opinion.
Having it blowing about all the time and flicked up (eg when meeting the Obamas), fiddling with it etc isn't very regal. Having her hair down makes her look younger but I don't think that's necessarily a good thing: she's nearly 30; it's natural for one's style and face to mature. She can't keep her hair like this forever so it would be nice to see a gradual departure from the little-girl look. It's got to the point where sometimes she's paying more attention to touching her hair and holding it out of her face than the actual event that she's at. I'm sure Princess Elizabeth's hair was beautiful but she knew when to put it up, and it always looked very pretty.

(Also, if she wants to look less aging, she ought to tone down on the eyeliner and put some weight on.)
Old 08-14-2011, 07:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think Kate's hair looks great up or down. Maybe she trim a few inches off so it won't get too messy but that's her decision. So long as she isn't dressing like the Kardashian sisters she's still a regal lady.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Having it blowing about all the time and flicked up (eg when meeting the Obamas), fiddling with it etc isn't very regal. Having her hair down makes her look younger but I don't think that's necessarily a good thing: she's nearly 30; it's natural for one's style and face to mature. She can't keep her hair like this forever so it would be nice to see a gradual departure from the little-girl look. It's got to the point where sometimes she's paying more attention to touching her hair and holding it out of her face than the actual event that she's at. I'm sure Princess Elizabeth's hair was beautiful but she knew when to put it up, and it always looked very pretty.
Like I said, it's all a matter of opinion. I think Kate's hair looks fine and find her regal during official engagements. I don't equate long hair with a little girl look, so I don't mind if she keeps it long.

I do notice she fiddles with her hair (I think it's a nervous habit), but I'm sure she'll learn to control it as time goes on. She is new to all this, so I cut her some slack. If she's still fiddling with her hair years from now, then I'll start to have a problem with it.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Majesty

I've said this before, but I'll repeat myself. Perhaps Catherine could wear her hair half-way up. It would keep it out of her face, but will still be down. I think she's more comfortable with her hair unrestricted, and I can understand that. As for fiddling with it, there are nervous habits that are a lot worse. I'd rather fiddle with her hair, than perhaps bite her finger nails when she needed to do something with her hands. Up-dos have their place and time, and sometimes they're just not what the occasion calls for.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:41 PM
Serene Highness

I'm sure that most of us can agree that Kate wants to look both beautiful and regal. Helicopters and long hair don't mix well, wind and long hair are hard. I don't think she "fiddles with her hair" out of nervousness, exactly, but because it is hard to keep it under control and she's concerned about how it looks.

She'll eventually learn how to deal with it (and I agree, losing 2-3 inches would make it easier). But I don't think she'll do that yet - not for awhile (more likely when she approaches 40, not 30).
Old 08-14-2011, 10:12 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi
I'm sure that most of us can agree that Kate wants to look both beautiful and regal. Helicopters and long hair don't mix well, wind and long hair are hard.
Didn't Diana once say the wind is not her friend ? Thought I read this from another poster but can't remember where.....yes helicopters and windy days make for a bad hair day sometimes :)
Old 08-15-2011, 12:07 AM
Serene Highness

I was just thinking about how, at the time, Diana's hair seemed...short. Now, a lot of us went and imitated it at the time - so it was certainly fashionable, but now, I'm realizing how practical it was, as well. It's been breezy here, fighting hair is no fun.

I had not heard that Diana quote - thank you. Diana's hairstyle revisions seem to reflect a desire to keep her hair in place and look stylish at all times. Will be interesting to see how Kate copes with this same dilemma (always going to be wind and helicopters and photogs everywhere). Maybe Kate isn't bothered by it.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Anyone (male or female) who has had long hair for a considerable time, would find it extremely difficult to switch to short hair - don't ask me why...

Both my son (32) and I have always had thick long hair, and the idea of having to cut it off would be unbearable....
Old 08-15-2011, 02:20 AM
Courtier

I think Kate will need to experiment if she is using a helicopter that day then maybe a chic ponytail or up do so she doesn't come of the helicopter looking a mess same with windy days. I think she will learn over time I don't think wearing it down all the time like she seems too is going to work with her new life style. She can be as windswept as she likes with her hair anywhere as Kate but as the Dof C going to events and representing the Royal Family she needs to be a little more neat and tidy. I don't want her to do an Anne and just throw her hair up and never let it down there is a time and a place for various styles. She has a hairdresser for these events listen to them and use them! The Queen has made several decisions based on her role, her hair has stayed the same for continuity, she wears bright lipstick so she can be seen. Even her hats and clothes are done with people and events in mind. Kate will one day be the Queen so she will need to think of these things herself.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Meadow - I've only just realised that the Queen always has the same kind of coiffure :-)
Am I right in thinking that she sometimes wears a hairpiece ??
Old 08-15-2011, 09:44 AM

I think she is slowly learning. She wore her hair pulled back and in ponytails several times during the Canadian and California tours. She's new to this so she's going to make mistakes with her clothing choices and hairstyles. As time goes on she'll learn what works and what doesn't.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I'm the first one to stay Catherine's down do is boring, but it looks good. The condition of her hair, whether it's up or down, side to side doesn't really matter in the long run. There's nothing really to 'learn' about your hair, you pick a style that suits you and you stick with it. What else is there?
Old 08-15-2011, 11:10 AM

A few people up thread said it's always blowing around on windy days, which is what I was responding too. So when I say learn, I mean she'll figure out the best way to wear it for certain conditions.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Gentry

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lp...7inlo1_500.jpg

Possibly one of my favourite hairstyles on Kate!
Old 08-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Royal Highness

I especially like the fitted camel-couloured jacket;-) Her hair looks natural and nice
Old 08-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Majesty

Quote:
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpzfo1OJLC1qi7inlo1_500.jpg
Possibly one of my favourite hairstyles on Kate!
She looks quite lovely here.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Closed Thread