The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #181  
Old 08-12-2011, 10:05 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Ha! The Princess Diaries books are all over the royal forums lately. I was just talking about how great they are in the forum about Jazmin Grace Grimaldi. (Also, for a witty fictional account of the royal wedding from the perspective of Princess Mia of Genovia, check out Mia Thermopolis)

I love this article!
That was a hoot . Some good observations on her part too.
__________________

__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
  #182  
Old 08-13-2011, 06:07 PM
princess-royal's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom
Posts: 64
I understand that Catherine's been wearing her hair down for ages, but until a few months ago she wasn't a duchess. Now her life has changed. She isn't supposed to be some kind of celebrity or model, with long wild glossy bouncy curls. It didn't look too bad at the BAFTA event but it was awful when she wore the navy lace dress in Canada (really messy and scraggly) and way too big at the Trooping of the Colour, the polo event, and Zara's pre-wedding party. It looks much more elegant wrapped up. Catherine needs to understand that she's not just dressing for herself any more and that the Disney princess/high fashion look isn't really appropriate. Every time she stepped off a plane it was obvious that she'd had her hair styled and glossed and sprayed and curled, and it's probably more vain than hiring a clothes stylist. I'm not sure that HM would approve.
__________________

  #183  
Old 08-13-2011, 06:56 PM
Donovan's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess-royal View Post
I understand that Catherine's been wearing her hair down for ages, but until a few months ago she wasn't a duchess. Now her life has changed. She isn't supposed to be some kind of celebrity or model, with long wild glossy bouncy curls.
I don't quite understand what you're trying to say here. Now that she's a duchess, she can't wear her hair the way she has done for years? Must she, and any other female royal, wear their hair up all the time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess-royal View Post
Every time she stepped off a plane it was obvious that she'd had her hair styled and glossed and sprayed and curled
Yes, it was widely reported that she brought her hair stylist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess-royal View Post
It's probably more vain than hiring a clothes stylist. I'm not sure that HM would approve.
So, you think she is vain for having her hair styled, and yet you want her to wear her hair wrapped up more, which she has not done much in the past. Wouldn't it be more vain to suddenly change the way she's been dressing/styling her hair for many years now that she's married a prince?

I might agree with what you're saying, that now she's in the public eye she should change the way she dresses or does her hair, if she were known to leave the house falling out of her clothes. But Catherine has always dressed very appropriately, and I don't think she should change, unless she wants to.
  #184  
Old 08-13-2011, 07:09 PM
PrincessKaimi's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hilo, Malibu, United States
Posts: 1,328
There's no proof she's not doing her own hair. And, I would think with her change in status, she gets to wear it how she likes. That would be 'representing' to me.
  #185  
Old 08-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
I don't quite understand what you're trying to say here. Now that she's a duchess, she can't wear her hair the way she has done for years? Must she, and any other female royal, wear their hair up all the time?
I take it that princess-royal means that Catherine should wear her hair like befits a true English royal - up. Wearing her hair down gives Catherine a Disney Princess look and those (playground) days are over since she is no longer Miss Catherine Middleton but HRH Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge.
I think princess-royal has a view of how British royals appear and it is time for Catherine to start living up to that image.

Quote:
Wouldn't it be more vain to suddenly change the way she's been dressing/styling her hair for many years now that she's married a prince?
My thoughts exactly.
  #186  
Old 08-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Durham, United States
Posts: 1,306
From the photos I saw of Cathrine in Canada I thought she looked lovely. She could hardly have gotten off various planes look sleepy and without makeup as unfortunately all too many people do on trans Atlantic flights. As to her hair looking scraggly and messy .... well, I'm confused. Is it messy or is it that she has had her hair done just prior to getting off a plane. Hmmm, as I said, I'm confused.

ETA ... looking like a BRF Princess ... I guess you mean like Princess Anne?
  #187  
Old 08-13-2011, 07:20 PM
MRSJ's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: ******, United States
Posts: 1,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi
There's no proof she's not doing her own hair.
Do you mean privately like when she goes shopping or in general? Because Catherine clearly has her own hairdresser (she's made no secret of that) and brought him on official engagements so she does 'do her own hair' in the sense of styling........
  #188  
Old 08-13-2011, 07:27 PM
princess-royal's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan

I don't quite understand what you're trying to say here. Now that she's a duchess, she can't wear her hair the way she has done for years? Must she, and any other female royal, wear their hair up all the time?

Yes, it was widely reported that she brought her hair stylist.

So, you think she is vain for having her hair styled, and yet you want her to wear her hair wrapped up more, which she has not done much in the past. Wouldn't it be more vain to suddenly change the way she's been dressing/styling her hair for many years now that she's married a prince?

I might agree with what you're saying, that now she's in the public eye she should change the way she dresses or does her hair, if she were known to leave the house falling out of her clothes. But Catherine has always dressed very appropriately, and I don't think she should change, unless she wants to.
But she has to an extent changed her hairstyle: a lot more effort goes into making it big and wavy and she's had highlights etc. The Queen liked to have her hair up and it looked a lot neater. The public could also get a good look at her. Being in the royal family is life changing and I just don't think Catherine has got the 'regal' look yet. I'm not suggesting that she wears her hair up all the time but she has it down too much and she's constantly fiddling with it, even during important speeches and when she's talking to people. When it blew all over her face at the airport it was a bit cringy. Having it up more often just looks more elegant and practical and doesn't require constant fiddling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham
From the photos I saw of Cathrine in Canada I thought she looked lovely. She could hardly have gotten off various planes look sleepy and without makeup as unfortunately all too many people do on trans Atlantic flights. As to her hair looking scraggly and messy .... well, I'm confused. Is it messy or is it that she has had her hair done just prior to getting off a plane. Hmmm, as I said, I'm confused.

ETA ... looking like a BRF Princess ... I guess you mean like Princess Anne?
It was quite messy - she'd been outside for a while and it was straggly, which was noticeable. What generally happens is that she comes off the plane looking perfect and within a few hours it's gone crazy and for the rest of the day she'll be fiddling with it :P
  #189  
Old 08-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Durham, United States
Posts: 1,306
I understand. It's too bad that she can look perfect for only a few hours/minutes.
  #190  
Old 08-13-2011, 09:11 PM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, United States
Posts: 3,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess-royal View Post
But she has to an extent changed her hairstyle: a lot more effort goes into making it big and wavy and she's had highlights etc. The Queen liked to have her hair up and it looked a lot neater. The public could also get a good look at her. Being in the royal family is life changing and I just don't think Catherine has got the 'regal' look yet. I'm not suggesting that she wears her hair up all the time but she has it down too much and she's constantly fiddling with it, even during important speeches and when she's talking to people. When it blew all over her face at the airport it was a bit cringy. Having it up more often just looks more elegant and practical and doesn't require constant fiddling.
She really hasn't changed her hairstyle though. She's been wearing it the same way for years - highlights and all.

As for wearing it down, that's obviously how she likes it and I don't think she needs to wear it up just because she's in the BRF. I mean, with the exception of Anne, the other senior women in the BRF constantly wear their hair down too.
  #191  
Old 08-14-2011, 12:28 AM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 6,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
She really hasn't changed her hairstyle though. She's been wearing it the same way for years - highlights and all.
That is the whole point. She has worn her hair like that for years and years and years . . . . . . It was a perfect style for Alice from 'Alice in Wonderland' but she was a girl and Catherine is a grown woman, and it's starting to look a little mutton dressed as lamb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
As for wearing it down, that's obviously how she likes it and I don't think she needs to wear it up just because she's in the BRF. I mean, with the exception of Anne, the other senior women in the BRF constantly wear their hair down too.
Her hair is longer than it has been for years and it takes constant work by a professional to keep it in condition. That Catherine is a little vain when it comes to her hair is a no-brainer . . . . don't take a L-I-W on an overseas trip but take a full-time hairdresser? But it's when it comes to eveningwear that the "hair issue" emerges.

Take two fabulous gowns:

Catherine, Hertogin Van Cambridge 09/06/2011 - Fashion of royals

and

http://cdn.buzznet.com/media/jj1/201...o-watch-03.jpg

Both of these creations deserved an elegant, adult updo. The hair all over the place ruined the line of the gowns around the neck and sholders and mostly obsucred her earrings.

It looked like she got dressed and found she'd run out of time to finish the "look" so fluffed her hair to look "cute" instead of chic.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #192  
Old 08-14-2011, 06:07 AM
princess-royal's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar
As for wearing it down, that's obviously how she likes it and I don't think she needs to wear it up just because she's in the BRF. I mean, with the exception of Anne, the other senior women in the BRF constantly wear their hair down too.
Most senior royals have their hair short or tied back - check out the Queen's hairstyle when she was younger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG
That is the whole point. She has worn her hair like that for years and years and years . . . . . . It was a perfect style for Alice from 'Alice in Wonderland' but she was a girl and Catherine is a grown woman, and it's starting to look a little mutton dressed as lamb!

Her hair is longer than it has been for years and it takes constant work by a professional to keep it in condition. That Catherine is a little vain when it comes to her hair is a no-brainer . . . . don't take a L-I-W on an overseas trip but take a full-time hairdresser? But it's when it comes to eveningwear that the "hair issue" emerges.

Take two fabulous gowns:

Catherine, Hertogin Van Cambridge 09/06/2011 - Fashion of royals

and

http://cdn.buzznet.com/media/jj1/201...o-watch-03.jpg

Both of these creations deserved an elegant, adult updo. The hair all over the place ruined the line of the gowns around the neck and sholders and mostly obsucred her earrings.

It looked like she got dressed and found she'd run out of time to finish the "look" so fluffed her hair to look "cute" instead of chic.
Completely agree.
  #193  
Old 08-14-2011, 07:08 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess-royal View Post
Most senior royals have their hair short or tied back - check out the Queen's hairstyle when she was younger.
So she should wear her hair up because that is the 'correct' hairdo to have when you are a part of the BRF?

I think it's much more important that she doesn't change just because she is now part of the BRF, but rather remains herself. Changing yourself because of a different status is, imo, the fast track to eventually losing your identity.

Either way, she's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
That is the whole point. She has worn her hair like that for years and years and years . . . . . . It was a perfect style for Alice from 'Alice in Wonderland' but she was a girl and Catherine is a grown woman, and it's starting to look a little mutton dressed as lamb!
AKA start looking like your age and status? If that be the case, then I find it a perfect example of pigeonholing.
  #194  
Old 08-14-2011, 08:03 AM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 6,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
So she should wear her hair up because that is the 'correct' hairdo to have when you are a part of the BRF?
No, because she is in the public eye and oftentimes her hair looks great for and hour or two and then it's a mess and she's fiddling with it. Not a good look and yes she should care what she looks like for an entire engagement not just in front of the mirror before she leaves home.

I don't think it unreasonable to expect her to do away with her little girl look in public, she is 30 after all and to be honest, it looks weird. Celebrities on the red carpet only have to pose and then move inside and sit down whereas Catherine is on show for the entire time she is at an engagement. She is representing the BRF and to be honest, that is what she signed up to do.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #195  
Old 08-14-2011, 09:11 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,502
Sorry to disagree, but I think Catherine is doing a good job.

I also find it refreshing to have a Royal with long hair !

She's the most refreshing addition to the BRF for a long time.
  #196  
Old 08-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
Sorry to disagree, but I think Catherine is doing a good job.

I also find it refreshing to have a Royal with long hair !

She's the most refreshing addition to the BRF for a long time.
Exactly. I think her hair is just fine the way it is. She's doing a splendid job representing her country and the House of Windsor.
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
  #197  
Old 08-14-2011, 02:43 PM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, United States
Posts: 3,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
That is the whole point. She has worn her hair like that for years and years and years . . . . . . It was a perfect style for Alice from 'Alice in Wonderland' but she was a girl and Catherine is a grown woman, and it's starting to look a little mutton dressed as lamb!
Some women are more experimental with their hair, but others have a style and stick with it. Kate obviously falls into the latter. I think her hairstyle is fine (I prefer long hair) and see no problem with her not changing it.

Quote:
Her hair is longer than it has been for years and it takes constant work by a professional to keep it in condition. That Catherine is a little vain when it comes to her hair is a no-brainer . . . . don't take a L-I-W on an overseas trip but take a full-time hairdresser? But it's when it comes to eveningwear that the "hair issue" emerges.

Take two fabulous gowns:

Catherine, Hertogin Van Cambridge 09/06/2011 - Fashion of royals

and

http://cdn.buzznet.com/media/jj1/201...o-watch-03.jpg

Both of these creations deserved an elegant, adult updo. The hair all over the place ruined the line of the gowns around the neck and sholders and mostly obsucred her earrings.

It looked like she got dressed and found she'd run out of time to finish the "look" so fluffed her hair to look "cute" instead of chic.
See, I disagree. I thought her hair went well with both of these dresses. In fact, I personally would have disliked an updo with the last dress.

At the end of the day, Kate can't and won't please everyone. And she'd be extremely unhappy if she tried. Just look at these threads. There are so many opinions on what looks good. Some prefer her hair long, while others think she should change her hairstyle. Some think certain dresses deserve updo's, while others prefer her hair down. Some think her updo's look messy, while others think they look fine.

There are always going to be criticisms, so she might as well wear her hair in the style she likes. It may be boring or even wrong to some, but at least she's happy with it.
  #198  
Old 08-14-2011, 04:12 PM
MRSJ's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: ******, United States
Posts: 1,863
I personally don't mind her hair, though the updos are nice once in awhile,as long as she's doing good works, which I'm sure soon we will see the charities she's choosen to become involved in or patronize......
  #199  
Old 08-14-2011, 04:34 PM
Molly2101's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
Sorry to disagree, but I think Catherine is doing a good job.

I also find it refreshing to have a Royal with long hair !

She's the most refreshing addition to the BRF for a long time.
Princess Beatrice has long hair.

I adore Catherine's hair, I think it is one of her best assets. I'd be upset to see her cut it off. It looks so touchable!

I thought the Royal women all took hairdressers with them on these visits, and when they attend Royal gatherings in Europe. They are often seen having to wear tiara's and such with their hair up, which I doubt many could do themselves and their husband wouldn't be of much use!
__________________
"I am yours, you are mine, of that be sure. You are locked in my heart, the little key is lost and now you must stay there forever."
Written by Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in the diary of her fiance, Tsarevich Nicholas.
  #200  
Old 08-14-2011, 05:25 PM
olebabs's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Århus, Denmark
Posts: 283


I just thought of W-A, Frederik and the other men with hairpins in the mouth and sweaty brows trying to do their wifes hair.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Princess Beatrice has long hair.

I adore Catherine's hair, I think it is one of her best assets. I'd be upset to see her cut it off. It looks so touchable!

I thought the Royal women all took hairdressers with them on these visits, and when they attend Royal gatherings in Europe. They are often seen having to wear tiara's and such with their hair up, which I doubt many could do themselves and their husband wouldn't be of much use!
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 5: October 2011 - December 2011 iceflower Archives 398 12-26-2011 02:00 AM
The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 4: August 2011 - September 2011 iceflower Archives 391 10-01-2011 04:14 AM
The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 3: July 2011 - August 2011 dazzling Archives 403 08-19-2011 05:40 PM
The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 2: June 2011 - July 2011 dazzling Archives 589 07-07-2011 03:35 AM
The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 1: May 2011 - June 2011 JessRulz Archives 399 06-11-2011 12:57 PM




Popular Tags
#choker addresses ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit brunei royal family catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll game grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king harald king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess marie princess mary princess mary and the women deliver conference princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:35 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises