The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 9: June 2012 - September 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:
No idea.
But Mr Choo might have mentioned the Countess of Wessex as well, who has been inseparable with her pair of nude Jimmy Choo's lately.

Here is perfect Kate - think again.
Lace is reserved for after the dinner hour and the lace that is on the McQueen selection is very delicate so as not to photograph well. Just like the wedding gown - inspired by Grace of Monaco. Lace is for the cocktail hour no matter what. Then her fascinator was very coarse in straw and veil tulle thicknessnot aesthetically balanced as juxtaposed to the dress.
Except for the length everything was off. This outfit needed a different headgear and different outfit- a suit would have been far more suitable rather than these romantic sheaths with the beige patent leather shoes. What does Kate look like in aregular hat with wide brim ?

What does Kate look like in aregular hat with wide brim ?
Check out Catherine at Williams Sandhurst Passing Out Parade!

william's passing out parade | Tumblr

And for a full length view: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/kate-middleton-jubilee-dress-her-latest-862401

But I think that's about it . . .

But to be honest, I think that is one of her more classic and unfussy outfits. It beats the her latest Garter ensemble, with it's fluffy frills and high hem, hands down.

Last edited:
Since when is lace for the 'after dinner hour' only? Is this another one of these silly, old-fashioned rules, like not wearing white after September, that no-one bothers with anymore?

Check out Catherine at Williams Sandhurst Passing Out Parade!

william's passing out parade | Tumblr

And for a full length view: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...-latest-862401

But I think that's about it . . .

But to be honest, I think that is one of her more classic and unfussy outfits. It beats the her latest Garter ensemble, with it's fluffy frills and high hem, hands down.

To me, that outfit would work better on Camilla. The whole thing is really very middle-aged woman. Full hats tend to be worn mostly by older women these days. I'm 27 and I wouldn't wear one.

EIIR said:
Since when is lace for the 'after dinner hour' only? Is this another one of these silly, old-fashioned rules, like not wearing white after September, that no-one bothers with anymore?

To me, that outfit would work better on Camilla. The whole thing is really very middle-aged woman. Full hats tend to be worn mostly by older women these days. I'm 27 and I wouldn't wear one.

I agree, why restrict such a lovely and delicate clothing style to one moment of the day.
As to hats.
I don't really understand the English fascination with fascinators. Most of the time they don't even resemble one, let alone actually function as one. Give me a normal hat any day and I'm only 1 year older than the Dutchess. ;-)

I wouldn't call it "middle-aged woman," I would call it demure. She looked wonderful, but definitely a cocktail dress.

June 30th- This is the best shot I could find. I really dislike the print and the sleeves. Also, that hat is hideous! One of her worst looks for me.

Pic Dress on Model

Last edited:
The hat with the dress does not work at all.

The dress has a pretty pattern. A wider brimmed hat would have been a better choice.

Last edited:
Not a bad choice (IMO) but i have seen better dress on her :flowers: I like the hat, suits the dress

This look doesn't bother me, but it doesn't 'wow' me either. I have seen better.

Don't like the hat at all. The dress isn't amazing but the hat is what really ruins the look.

Totally agree, the dress would rather fit an older woman. The hat is ugly.

She doesn't look fantastic, old and dowdy more like and we see those shoes again. Maybe those shoes will become a permanent fixture like the flowing messy hair.

Looking at better pictures, the dress itself is not bad for a casual day or a day at a polo match.
To me, it just seems quite casual and again I say it's not a dress to be matched with a hat.

Imagine the dress in a larger size, add a brooch and pearls, and the style, cut and flower print is exactly what Queen Elizabeth herself has worn ca. thirty years ago.
IMO it's not that casual but just matronly, which equals dowdy on Catherine, and this kind of 'hat' does not work with it at all.

The hat is white, doesn't match the style of dress, sits wonky on her droopy locks and the nude shoes go with nothing else she is wearing. All of which begs the question . . . does she have a dresser for those "important" occasions where the look may be boring but at least harmonises, leaving her looking like a train wreck at her private appearances?

I like the dress but not the hat.

Well, the cost of living has not gone up anywhere near that much so these designers are making money off Kate's back. This was always going to happen to someone with such a high profile wearing what is essentially High Street Fashion and unfortunately becoming a High Street Show Pony.

In the near future she is going to have to make a decision as to whether she wants to stay true to her stated "Common Man" version of wardrobe when that has largely become an illusion. With the actual prices rocketing up for no other reason than she wears clothes or accessories made by a particular designer she is going to have to decide wheter to go up market, where no one will be able to tabulate the exact cost of her ensemble at any given engagement or, use someone like the Queen's magic dresser.

I seem to remember one occasion that no one could find out anything about the provenience of her ensemble at a function. I think "going off the grid" was a master stroke which I think we will definitely see more of.

Last edited:
I seem to remember one occasion that no one could find out anything about the provenience of her ensemble at a function. I think "going off the grid" was a master stroke which I think we will definitely see more of.

I believe that was her aubergine Christmas services coat

The coat is said to have been made by “an independent British designer,”

Well, the cost of living has not gone up anywhere near that much so these designers are making money off Kate's back. This was always going to happen to someone with such a high profile wearing what is essentially High Street Fashion and unfortunately becoming a High Street Show Pony.

In the near future she is going to have to make a decision as to whether she wants to stay true to her stated "Common Man" version of wardrobe when that has largely become an illusion. With the actual prices rocketing up for no other reason than she wears clothes or accessories made by a particular designer she is going to have to decide wheter to go up market, where no one will be able to tabulate the exact cost of her ensemble at any given engagement or, use someone like the Queen's magic dresser.

I tend to agree with this Marg. Personally, I'd love it if she had her clothes designed and made in-house like the Queen. Then for special occasions such as evenings or tours, her favourite high-end designers could be chosen to provide he clothes.

Fussy floral pattern and semi-billowing sleeves and along with the hat, just too dated.

Fussy floral pattern and semi-billowing sleeves and along with the hat, just too dated.

I don't think that floral prints and gathered sleeves are dated, just maybe not to everyone's taste. They are fashionable in the UK, particularly now. The fact that the British summer is chilly and wet means that summer clothes with sleeves are necessary.

I like the dress and accessories. I dont like the hat - she doesn't really understand hats. She should talk to Sophie

I don't think that floral prints and gathered sleeves are dated, just maybe not to everyone's taste. They are fashionable in the UK, particularly now. The fact that the British summer is chilly and wet means that summer clothes with sleeves are necessary.

I like the dress and accessories. I dont like the hat - she doesn't really understand hats. She should talk to Sophie

Well, then, IMO, I feel the dress is dated since it's a style that I wore back in my 20s which was awhile ago. I agree with Boris that by adding pearls, a brooch and in a larger size, this is a fashion HM wore back in the day. But, then, I guess the retro look is back again and the hat just emphasizes the old-fashioned look which looks pretty matronly on Kate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom