The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 07:29 AM
Heir Apparent

The dress has a pretty pattern. A wider brimmed hat would have been a better choice.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:02 AM

Not a bad choice (IMO) but i have seen better dress on her I like the hat, suits the dress

I expect nothing. I fear no one. I am free.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Majesty

This look doesn't bother me, but it doesn't 'wow' me either. I have seen better.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:44 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

more pictures. the dress doesnt "wow" me either, not liking the hat at all.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...61_634x686.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...16_306x423.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...53_306x423.jpg
Old 07-02-2012, 03:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Don't like the hat at all. The dress isn't amazing but the hat is what really ruins the look.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Old 07-02-2012, 03:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Granny stuff IMO yuk!!
Old 07-02-2012, 03:27 AM
Courtier

Totally agree, the dress would rather fit an older woman. The hat is ugly.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:34 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

She doesn't look fantastic, old and dowdy more like and we see those shoes again. Maybe those shoes will become a permanent fixture like the flowing messy hair.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Looking at better pictures, the dress itself is not bad for a casual day or a day at a polo match.
To me, it just seems quite casual and again I say it's not a dress to be matched with a hat.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Imagine the dress in a larger size, add a brooch and pearls, and the style, cut and flower print is exactly what Queen Elizabeth herself has worn ca. thirty years ago.
IMO it's not that casual but just matronly, which equals dowdy on Catherine, and this kind of 'hat' does not work with it at all.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:27 AM
Heir Apparent

The hat is white, doesn't match the style of dress, sits wonky on her droopy locks and the nude shoes go with nothing else she is wearing. All of which begs the question . . . does she have a dresser for those "important" occasions where the look may be boring but at least harmonises, leaving her looking like a train wreck at her private appearances?
Old 07-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

I like the dress but not the hat.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Kate Middleton: The price tags on the The Duchess of Cambridge's most iconic pieces are rocketing | Mail Online
Old 07-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, the cost of living has not gone up anywhere near that much so these designers are making money off Kate's back. This was always going to happen to someone with such a high profile wearing what is essentially High Street Fashion and unfortunately becoming a High Street Show Pony.

In the near future she is going to have to make a decision as to whether she wants to stay true to her stated "Common Man" version of wardrobe when that has largely become an illusion. With the actual prices rocketing up for no other reason than she wears clothes or accessories made by a particular designer she is going to have to decide wheter to go up market, where no one will be able to tabulate the exact cost of her ensemble at any given engagement or, use someone like the Queen's magic dresser.

I seem to remember one occasion that no one could find out anything about the provenience of her ensemble at a function. I think "going off the grid" was a master stroke which I think we will definitely see more of.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I seem to remember one occasion that no one could find out anything about the provenience of her ensemble at a function. I think "going off the grid" was a master stroke which I think we will definitely see more of.
I believe that was her aubergine Christmas services coat

The coat is said to have been made by “an independent British designer,”
Old 07-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Well, the cost of living has not gone up anywhere near that much so these designers are making money off Kate's back. This was always going to happen to someone with such a high profile wearing what is essentially High Street Fashion and unfortunately becoming a High Street Show Pony.

In the near future she is going to have to make a decision as to whether she wants to stay true to her stated "Common Man" version of wardrobe when that has largely become an illusion. With the actual prices rocketing up for no other reason than she wears clothes or accessories made by a particular designer she is going to have to decide wheter to go up market, where no one will be able to tabulate the exact cost of her ensemble at any given engagement or, use someone like the Queen's magic dresser.

I tend to agree with this Marg. Personally, I'd love it if she had her clothes designed and made in-house like the Queen. Then for special occasions such as evenings or tours, her favourite high-end designers could be chosen to provide he clothes.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Fussy floral pattern and semi-billowing sleeves and along with the hat, just too dated.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Fussy floral pattern and semi-billowing sleeves and along with the hat, just too dated.
I don't think that floral prints and gathered sleeves are dated, just maybe not to everyone's taste. They are fashionable in the UK, particularly now. The fact that the British summer is chilly and wet means that summer clothes with sleeves are necessary.

I like the dress and accessories. I dont like the hat - she doesn't really understand hats. She should talk to Sophie

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Courtier

She chose the wrong hat the dress is o.k.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I don't think that floral prints and gathered sleeves are dated, just maybe not to everyone's taste. They are fashionable in the UK, particularly now. The fact that the British summer is chilly and wet means that summer clothes with sleeves are necessary.

I like the dress and accessories. I dont like the hat - she doesn't really understand hats. She should talk to Sophie
Well, then, IMO, I feel the dress is dated since it's a style that I wore back in my 20s which was awhile ago. I agree with Boris that by adding pearls, a brooch and in a larger size, this is a fashion HM wore back in the day. But, then, I guess the retro look is back again and the hat just emphasizes the old-fashioned look which looks pretty matronly on Kate.