The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 9: June 2012 - September 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The coat looks all uneven around the mid seam dare I say a little homemade? personally Im not happy with the style and I dont really like that buttermilk colour but I have to say the colour looks nice on her. The hat is cute but Im not really liking it with the buttermilk colour.

If your buttermilk is the same colour as Kate's coat it's probably time to throw it out. Buttermilk is used in lots of traditional baking here and it's always been milk coloured for me.

The scarf was presumably there in case it was needed. It's been wet and foggy in Edinburgh this morning so having a scarf on hand if it's a bit chilly makes sense.

I have to agree with helenbee, the coat/dress looks very poorly made. I think that it would have been much better if it had some sort of "belt" where the top met the skirt. It just does not look finished. I'm okay with the color and the hat and the scarf. The scarf was a great nod to her title, whether it was needed or not.

We use a lot of buttermilk in baking here, too. My monitor shows the garment as what I know as "buttermilk", both in the U.S. and the U.K (at least the West Midlands). Perhaps London buttermilk doesn't have any butter bits left over.

None of the DofCa's (or CofS) ensemble go together and I have to agree that the dress/coat does look "loving hands, made at home." Anyway, what is with the no button look. It looks like staples where buttons should be. Her pink, pleated dress looked that way too.

Last edited:
Blerrgg! Ialmost wish it had been colder and she'd worn the scarf to add a pop of colour. Emily Wickstead describes this colour as gold - maybe the photos wash out the colour but it is sooo bland.

I agree with the comments about "home made". And I also think that perhaps Wickstead isn't very good at button holes because she either hides them or uses studs. No button holes on this, the pink pleated dress and the green coatdress worn for the St Patricks Day parade. If the purpose is for a smooth line then she's failed - just look at the finish.

According to the Daily Mail, this boring Emilia Wickstead design has a hefty £1,200 price tag - and still reeks of bad craftsmanship indeed.
A covered inside button line is supposed to be covered… without the buttons pressing through the fabric, the threads visible… and for £1,200, I’d ask for the centre horizontal seam to have a nice finish too, please.
Along with the strictly-for-PR scarf and the wrong headwear (yes, I want REAL hats again, too), this is a miss.

Worst part of quality lacking in close up:
http://s13.postimage.org/aghwksxyf/Screenshot_1.jpg

Its this middle of the road designer wear - buy prada, elie saab, chanel and you get the workmanship. I've had a moan on another thread this week about poorly finished garments (Princess Matilde). But the real question is WHY do they buy them?

This apparently is a bespoke piece! So as her customer I would be spitting nails over the fact that the designer told the DM how much it cost.

Calm now - thank you for listening :)

I agree about the tailoring. It is atrocious!!! The color is fine and the style is ok but the finishing is just not good. As I recall the pink Wickstead dress had the same problems in the waist seam. I love the St Patricks coast dress but then it was dark so if the tailoring was bad it was not obvious. Honestly, I would not have accepted this dress as is. The shoulder seams also appear too wide causing the Princess seams at the top to buckle. She looked nice BUT bad, bad tailoring and certainly not worth the cost.

I loved the dress at Wimbleton. I think it's very lovely and elegant and I love the style. I am glad she wore it again!

I love the color of today's dress but I hate the material. It just ruins the look. If the dress had better material, then I would have loved the dress. Also, I don't think the hat goes with the dress.

Last edited:
I like the color of her coat and the plaid scarf that she's carrying. I think it's a scarf.

She looks old, boring and safe. The coat dress doesn't suit her and the fascinator doesn't match.

I love the wimbledon outfit, tried something similar on today.

Considering the occasion she is dressed for, I can understand why she chose to wear this ensemble. I think it looks nice on Catherine. The color doesn't stand out too much, but it also gives the look a bit of life, if you will. I like the hat better today than I did when I saw it last year at the Epson Derby. As for the scarf, I thought it was a handbag at the first glance. However, again, since this is Scotland, it's better to be prepared than to walk around with chattering teeth. I love the hair style. It suits her.

I think everyone's already expressed my own feelings about the coat. It is too babydoll for her, the tailoring and lack of finish look like something a novice would make, the accessories are all disparate pieces put together, the shoes are too dark and the fabric looks like it's easy to fray. I even thought that in some pictures the hem was uneven in the back. The hat did not coordinate well at all with the color of the coat, which I like, and I also wish that she'd worn a traditional chapeau. The best item is the tartan scarf she's carrying, which I also thought was a handbag at first and got a bit thrilled about that. Her hair also looked very nice; I like the curled style at the juncture where it's pulled back.

Last edited:
IMO it is just not stylish enough it lacks finish and the hat appears an after thought I have never been crazy about this baby doll on anyone, and said so particularly on someone sooo skinny, I think we all remember the theme during the Canada tour. m
Her look is IMO based on the same theme nothing too stylish just basic dress or coat nude LKB or dark Prada's so though is no departure the look is shabby.IMO of course.

Its this middle of the road designer wear - buy prada, elie saab, chanel and you get the workmanship. I've had a moan on another thread this week about poorly finished garments (Princess Matilde). But the real question is WHY do they buy them?

Because Wickstead is a rising star, so by wearing her clothes her clients feel they are doing something novel and trendy, rather than same old same old Chanel or Prada.

That's my theory, anyway.
Time will tell whether Wickstead has any staying power.

Last edited:
I watched my granny make scones, wheaten bread, soda bread, fruit slims, what we would call buns but the rest of the world calls cupcakes, among many things every Saturday morning. I never saw the buttermilk she used in all these recipes look anything like the colour of Kate's dress. This is what it has always looked like and I would suggest if your buttermilk is more yellow than this then there's something wrong with it.

Since when is a coat with a slight flare on the bottom half 'babydoll'? That word makes me feel slightly nauseated on its own, but I have only ever heard 'babydoll' used to describe suggestive lingerie, usually worn by very young women to please older men.

I hope Kate continues to stear well clear of full hats. Even the nicest full hat ages any woman under the age of about 50 who wears them. The couple of occasions when Kate has chosen to wear a full hat have done absolutely nothing for her.

I hope she goes head straight for them! She looks almost stupid with these top hat forehead covering pieces of laughable material in my eyes. The black headband hat/fascinator that's just sold or is selling currently has been my all time favourite, she looked beautiful. Think she wore it to an Order of the garter ceremony.
I just wish Catherine would try!

The yellow coat was a big disappointment. For that price I would expect better detailing finishing. The color was great so was the cut but was that coat stitched in the dark? The waist stitching line didn't look straight and the buttons looked like they had fallen out. The coat also could've been a bit tighter IMO.

The overall had too much going on - Hat was a color, coat was light and the shoes way too dark for the look.

I hope she goes head straight for them! She looks almost stupid with these top hat forehead covering pieces of laughable material in my eyes. The black headband hat/fascinator that's just sold or is selling currently has been my all time favourite, she looked beautiful. Think she wore it to an Order of the garter ceremony.
I just wish Catherine would try!

Leave the full hats to the Queen and Camilla. Kate's fascinators, if that's you want to call them, are no more 'stupid' looking than any other hat. They're also much more practical when it comes to getting in and out of cars and being able to see what's going on around you. Not to mention that they allow others to see her face, even from some distance.

Full hats, when worn by younger women, either have tall crowns which makes the wearer look like a 17th century pilgrim; or are oversized with the exaggeration of the hat an attempt to not make them look like something the 86 year old Queen would wear.

I agree, the fascinators are favorites of the young and I can understand why. I think Kate has worn 2 full hats in the last decade. This particular fascinator she is wearing is a favorite of mine, I like the color and the position on her head is much better than what she has been wearing recently.
I love the style of her hair, I know she likes to do it herself but I wonder if it is really possible that she could do such a beautiful look on her own. That's the hair she should have had on her wedding day.

Last edited:
Not a favourite of mine, it's rather boring and the colour isn't great on Catherine.

It's the high waist combined with the flare that give the coat a babydoll look.

Really loved the McQueen outfit from yesterday. It's actually become one of my favorites.

Today's outfit was a disappointment. I liked the color, but the dress looked unfinished. I'm just not a fan of Wickstead's no button look.

I too hope Kate sticks with fascinators. They suit her and I just like them better than most of the hats I see.

Hello, first time poster here.:wave:

Normally I love anything Kate wears, but this dress was a big letdown for me. There was nothing structurally interesting, the color was very bland (I know she was trying to coordinate with the tartan scarf, but still.), and it looked a little ill-fitting, especially in the front. It needed a belt or some jewelry to offset the extreme simplicity. It's a shame the Queen didn't lend Kate a brooch for the event. Surely she's got something with a thistle on it to be appropriate for the day.

The hat is horrible. The coat uninteresting. It looks like she ended up with a Camilla mistake.

I think the McQueen dress is really nice and suitable for the occasion

The yellow dress..or coat...is nothing special and I don't like coats wear has a dress...

Leave the full hats to the Queen and Camilla. Kate's fascinators, if that's you want to call them, are no more 'stupid' looking than any other hat. They're also much more practical when it comes to getting in and out of cars and being able to see what's going on around you. Not to mention that they allow others to see her face, even from some distance.

Full hats, when worn by younger women, either have tall crowns which makes the wearer look like a 17th century pilgrim; or are oversized with the exaggeration of the hat an attempt to not make them look like something the 86 year old Queen would wear.

We have a difference of opinion, I think Catherine looks stupid wearing silly box hats you do not. As for getting out of cars, she hardly does any engagements, once a month getting out of a car wearing a proper hat wouldn't do that pretty little head of hers any harm, it's not hard to get out of a car gracefully wearing a hat. If a 86 year old woman can do it, Catherine should have no trouble.

I also severely disagree with your analogy of when younger women wear full hats they either look like a pilgrim or an 86 year old Queen. I am 19, I have worn several full hats in my time to Ascot and to the Epsom, I have never looked 86 nor like a pilgrim. I can't imagine that you have seen everyone under the age of 30 who wears full hats, so your analogy is flawed.

Wow at some of the posts . Lol I don't get it . She looks lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom