The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Courtier

I have a questions. Does GB have a tall miss clothing industry. We have a great selection in the US. That is what Catherine needs. Then things would fit better.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Serene Highness

I think there is a wide variation in attitudes towards dress depending on where one lives. IMO, calling something vulgar is a bit over the top, much is in the eye of the beholder. :) I see women everyday wearing things that I would not be caught dead wearing but I think we need to be careful about some of the value judgements. At least if we can include and "IMO" it would help. Even in the States there is a wide range of acceptablility in what is appropriate depending on the region. Something acceptable in the northeast might well be frowned upon in the south. I grew up in a city and became accustomed to a certain "code" if you will and I still have difficulty when I see people in a city dressing as if they are on a picnic or at the beach. Catherine is able to wear a lot of things that other people should not wear simply because she is slender and can get away with it. I've seen women in dresses much more covered up who, IMO, look vulgar simply because for their body type their choice is far from the best.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:26 PM
Aristocracy

I don't have an issue with the jeans. A little tight, but I think European notions on vulgarity and revealing too much are different from ours. But then again, with some of the garb I see women Catherine's age wearing here in the southern U.S., she looks like a Victorian model.

I think she's wearing the 35 pound dress because of the outrage expressed by the common man over that 49,000 pound necklace the other day. Poor Kate can't win!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Peach View Post
I don't have an issue with the jeans. A little tight, but I think European notions on vulgarity and revealing too much are different from ours. But then again, with some of the garb I see women Catherine's age wearing here in the southern U.S., she looks like a Victorian model.

I think she's wearing the 35 pound dress because of the outrage expressed by the common man over that 49,000 pound necklace the other day. Poor Kate can't win!

Very true; no matter what she wears, she comes in for criticism.

I've liked some of her outfits but not others. However, I'll say this for her: she always is dressed appropriately for the occasion. JMO.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:35 PM
Courtier

Brightly colored skinny jeans are popular/trendy in the US too (or at least parts of it - certain styles take a while to make their way throughout the country, and some never do at all). While I like the style and the color of her jeans very much, I really think the fact that she's so skinny is what makes them look perhaps a bit revealing. The style is one I'm very familiar with, but seeing them on such tiny thighs made me do a double-take! Mind you, I don't think they were inappropriate, but they do seem a bit "off".
Old 07-26-2012, 11:45 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
Im sorry but I dont like those skinny jeans/jeggings for such an event.
I also think those pants need a slightly longer top. I would've liked it if she wore the teams track pants or a plain skirt/pants.
I agree. I think the jeans are a bit too tight, they even look uncomfortable.

I also thought the jeans looked silly with the platform wedgies.

But I liked the summery gray print dress...I just don't think it was necessary to let everyone know how cheap it was. It was an obvious ham-handed effort to counter bad press over the expensive and gaudy(imo) Olympic necklace.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:57 AM
Serene Highness

How charming! The more I see of Kate the more I like her. (i am becoming aware how much she physically resembles her father in the face!) The grey dress was great - watched her playing table tennis and the dress seems to be of a silky fabric, rather shiny. Looks comfy anyway. Would not have worn a belt - don't know what that was about as the style clearly accounted for the front in a design way - would have been nice to see that.

For once - and I'm surprised - her make-up seemed okay. I didn't see heavy underliner.

Wedge shoes look uncomfortable. I've tried them on and imo they are not wearable and don't look attractive. Don't like seeing wedgies on anyone.

Unfortunately, the leggings emphasize her exceeding thinness. Very unattractive - that attenuated form. Doesn't even photograph well - ironically.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Totally unattractive look for the torch arrival photo op.
It's a good thing that a word has been invented that sounds just as tacky as this legwear looks in order to define the garment which needs to be avoided by any means - 'Jeggings', indeed... Cute only up to the age of 12, a tad vulgar beyond.
Perhaps Kate had misunderstood, thinking that she was supposed to grab the torch and run a couple of miles towards the stadium? But nah, the ghastly wedges speak against that.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:41 AM
Heir Apparent

I totally hate the skinny jeans and I don't lioke the top though I get that she has to wear Olmypic gear but she does not look great IMO and she should!!!
Old 07-27-2012, 03:24 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Count me in the camp who think the "jeggings" are borderline vulgar and bad taste. Of course they are trendy and the average young girls wears them but Kate is neither the average young girl nor supposed to be a trendsetter.

By wearing such outfits Kate is only inviting the press to speculate on her body or photograph her legs and beyond whenever she is out and about.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:30 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Count me in the camp who think the "jeggings" are borderline vulgar and bad taste. Of course they are trendy and the average young girls wears them but Kate is neither the average young girl nor supposed to be a trendsetter.

By wearing such outfits Kate is only inviting the press to speculate on her body or photograph her legs and beyond whenever she is out and about.
I'm not a fan of these jeans/leggings (though she can pull the look off), but I will say that she may have been trying to fit in. No one was formally dressed (and yes, she could have pulled out a khaki or denim skirt for this event), so Catherine may have felt that dressing in team colors would have helped her blend in, and not be the center of attention. Unfortunately, the efforts backfired.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:34 AM
Heir Apparent

The dress is fabulous, very very elegant. I like also the torch relay outfit (blue leggins/jeans) but I hate the black wedges!!! She should wear flat loafers or ballerinas, she is tall enough for that.

Sometimes I do not understant her obsession to wear soooo high heels. Maybe she feels "petite" near the very tall William?
She should learn from Letizia
Old 07-27-2012, 04:50 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

I get that her skinny jeans are in fashion but that is not an excuse for it being appropriate for an event. It's like saying its fine for Kate to step out in a micro mini skirt or head to toe leopard print or even have her hair styled messy because it's in fashion, it doesn't make it ok given the event and her status. As her being a member of the royal family, IMO jeggings/skinny jeans are not appropriate for such an event. If she wears them in private thats fine but not while representing the family.

I get that many do like the jeans (including myself) but that doesn't mean we should agree for her wearing it in public.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I get that her skinny jeans are in fashion but that is not an excuse for it being appropriate for an event. It's like saying its fine for Kate to step out in a micro mini skirt or head to toe leopard print or even have her hair styled messy because it's in fashion, it doesn't make it ok given the event and her status. As her being a member of the royal family, IMO jeggings/skinny jeans are not appropriate for such an event. If she wears them in private thats fine but not while representing the family.

I get that many do like the jeans (including myself) but that doesn't mean we should agree for her wearing it in public.
She worn this kind of skinny jeans in official evenst only twice, both in athletic events! She considers them like appropriate for sports occasions.
Personnally I think that Kate is always appropriately dressed up, even that many times people complain that she dresses old...
For once she is dressed young, ...
Old 07-27-2012, 05:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia
The Duchess of Cambridge today:

- The dress
- Side view
- Close up

She is apparently wearing a sold-out £35 dress from Hobbs.
I don't care about the price tag; that dress is really nice! It looks very summery and nice, and the shoes are nice too.+

I'm actually a bit surprised at how lovely the dress looks because my own experience with Hobbs was less than present. I once bought a red top (which was more expensive than this dress) from Hobbs, and its quality was absolutely horrible. Took it back to store next day and stayed away from the brand ever since.
This is a very nice outfit and I love the color scheme matched with the shoes; I usually don't like her wedges but these work well. I also am liking her hair flowing in the first pic, it looks so shiny and curls in an amazing way. Makes me want to get hair extensions.
As for her blue jeans I think she looks great, it is laughable that people actually use the word vulgar to describe them when they are far from it. The only thing you can see are the defined muscles in her thighs; how the heck can that be vulgar?! Are people really offended that her backside is defined? Is the royal bottom supposed to obscured in baggy khakis?
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-27-2012, 05:42 AM
Heir Apparent

http://www.hobbs.co.uk/product/displ...8-3638L00-GREY WHITE-16&refpage=dresses/casual-dresses

I went through the site, as I never heard about this store, but it is not a very cheap store. Normal prices are from 120 GBP to 280 GBP, whih is not cheap!! It does not justify the bad quality. This dress was 119GBP!
Old 07-27-2012, 07:01 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
View Product | Hobbs WHITE-16&refpage=dresses/casual-dresses

I went through the site, as I never heard about this store, but it is not a very cheap store. Normal prices are from 120 GBP to 280 GBP, whih is not cheap!! It does not justify the bad quality. This dress was 119GBP!
Hobbs is on the level on LK Bennett and if not mistaken Kate has been seen in Hobbs before.
The dress was 35GBP when it wen on sale, I don't know why the fuss of how cheap the dress is, it wasnt the original price.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:18 AM
Heir Apparent

We can buy cheap things and look nice, we have seen Catherine wearing Zara before, that blue dress was very nice and it was very cheap...we have seen catherine wear a black lace dress form Zara that now on sabe costs 29€...so she can look nice with low cost clothes, we only must have a little taste! I love that skinny jeans, they are in fashion these days, she looks young, she is young, she should dress according to her age! She looks lovely for the event...it is a sport event...even if it is the Olympics
Old 07-27-2012, 07:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Hobbs is on the level on LK Bennett and if not mistaken Kate has been seen in Hobbs before.
The dress was 35GBP when it wen on sale, I don't know why the fuss of how cheap the dress is, it wasnt the original price.
But we do not know at which price she bought it, both scenaris (35GBP or 120GBP) are possible. In any case Kate buys oftern cheep and often expensive, she is allowed to, where is the problem.
Personnally, my remarks were that a dress at 120 GBP is not justified to be of very low quality, it is not that Pull and Bear items at 15 GBP each....
Old 07-27-2012, 08:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
How charming! The more I see of Kate the more I like her. (i am becoming aware how much she physically resembles her father in the face!) The grey dress was great - watched her playing table tennis and the dress seems to be of a silky fabric, rather shiny. Looks comfy anyway. Would not have worn a belt - don't know what that was about as the style clearly accounted for the front in a design way - would have been nice to see that.

For once - and I'm surprised - her make-up seemed okay. I didn't see heavy underliner.

Wedge shoes look uncomfortable. I've tried them on and imo they are not wearable and don't look attractive. Don't like seeing wedgies on anyone.
She does look like her father, while Pippa and James look more like Carole, imo.

On the Hobbs site, they do recommend a belt for the dress (although not the one Kate wore).

As for the shoes, I love the wedge style; I can't really wear very high heels so the wedge are a nice alternative.

Closed Thread