The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 9: June 2012 - September 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Count me in the camp who think the "jeggings" are borderline vulgar and bad taste. Of course they are trendy and the average young girls wears them but Kate is neither the average young girl nor supposed to be a trendsetter.

By wearing such outfits Kate is only inviting the press to speculate on her body or photograph her legs and beyond whenever she is out and about.

I'm not a fan of these jeans/leggings (though she can pull the look off), but I will say that she may have been trying to fit in. No one was formally dressed (and yes, she could have pulled out a khaki or denim skirt for this event), so Catherine may have felt that dressing in team colors would have helped her blend in, and not be the center of attention. Unfortunately, the efforts backfired.

The dress is fabulous, very very elegant. I like also the torch relay outfit (blue leggins/jeans) but I hate the black wedges!!! She should wear flat loafers or ballerinas, she is tall enough for that.

Sometimes I do not understant her obsession to wear soooo high heels. Maybe she feels "petite" near the very tall William?
She should learn from Letizia

Last edited:
I get that her skinny jeans are in fashion but that is not an excuse for it being appropriate for an event. It's like saying its fine for Kate to step out in a micro mini skirt or head to toe leopard print or even have her hair styled messy because it's in fashion, it doesn't make it ok given the event and her status. As her being a member of the royal family, IMO jeggings/skinny jeans are not appropriate for such an event. If she wears them in private thats fine but not while representing the family.

I get that many do like the jeans (including myself) but that doesn't mean we should agree for her wearing it in public.

I get that her skinny jeans are in fashion but that is not an excuse for it being appropriate for an event. It's like saying its fine for Kate to step out in a micro mini skirt or head to toe leopard print or even have her hair styled messy because it's in fashion, it doesn't make it ok given the event and her status. As her being a member of the royal family, IMO jeggings/skinny jeans are not appropriate for such an event. If she wears them in private thats fine but not while representing the family.

I get that many do like the jeans (including myself) but that doesn't mean we should agree for her wearing it in public.

She worn this kind of skinny jeans in official evenst only twice, both in athletic events! She considers them like appropriate for sports occasions.
Personnally I think that Kate is always appropriately dressed up, even that many times people complain that she dresses old...
For once she is dressed young, ...

Artemisia said:
The Duchess of Cambridge today:

- The dress
- Side view
- Close up

She is apparently wearing a sold-out £35 dress from Hobbs.
I don't care about the price tag; that dress is really nice! It looks very summery and nice, and the shoes are nice too.+

I'm actually a bit surprised at how lovely the dress looks because my own experience with Hobbs was less than present. I once bought a red top (which was more expensive than this dress) from Hobbs, and its quality was absolutely horrible. Took it back to store next day and stayed away from the brand ever since.

This is a very nice outfit and I love the color scheme matched with the shoes; I usually don't like her wedges but these work well. I also am liking her hair flowing in the first pic, it looks so shiny and curls in an amazing way. Makes me want to get hair extensions.
As for her blue jeans I think she looks great, it is laughable that people actually use the word vulgar to describe them when they are far from it. The only thing you can see are the defined muscles in her thighs; how the heck can that be vulgar?! Are people really offended that her backside is defined? Is the royal bottom supposed to obscured in baggy khakis?

Last edited:
View Product | Hobbs WHITE-16&refpage=dresses/casual-dresses

I went through the site, as I never heard about this store, but it is not a very cheap store. Normal prices are from 120 GBP to 280 GBP, whih is not cheap!! It does not justify the bad quality. This dress was 119GBP!

Hobbs is on the level on LK Bennett and if not mistaken Kate has been seen in Hobbs before.
The dress was 35GBP when it wen on sale, I don't know why the fuss of how cheap the dress is, it wasnt the original price.

We can buy cheap things and look nice, we have seen Catherine wearing Zara before, that blue dress was very nice and it was very cheap...we have seen catherine wear a black lace dress form Zara that now on sabe costs 29€...so she can look nice with low cost clothes, we only must have a little taste! I love that skinny jeans, they are in fashion these days, she looks young, she is young, she should dress according to her age! She looks lovely for the event...it is a sport event...even if it is the Olympics:flowers:

Hobbs is on the level on LK Bennett and if not mistaken Kate has been seen in Hobbs before.
The dress was 35GBP when it wen on sale, I don't know why the fuss of how cheap the dress is, it wasnt the original price.

But we do not know at which price she bought it, both scenaris (35GBP or 120GBP) are possible. In any case Kate buys oftern cheep and often expensive, she is allowed to, where is the problem.
Personnally, my remarks were that a dress at 120 GBP is not justified to be of very low quality, it is not that Pull and Bear items at 15 GBP each....

How charming! The more I see of Kate the more I like her. (i am becoming aware how much she physically resembles her father in the face!) The grey dress was great - watched her playing table tennis and the dress seems to be of a silky fabric, rather shiny. Looks comfy anyway. Would not have worn a belt - don't know what that was about as the style clearly accounted for the front in a design way - would have been nice to see that.

For once - and I'm surprised - her make-up seemed okay. I didn't see heavy underliner.

Wedge shoes look uncomfortable. I've tried them on and imo they are not wearable and don't look attractive. Don't like seeing wedgies on anyone.

She does look like her father, while Pippa and James look more like Carole, imo.

On the Hobbs site, they do recommend a belt for the dress (although not the one Kate wore).

As for the shoes, I love the wedge style; I can't really wear very high heels so the wedge are a nice alternative.

Last edited:

Completely agree, I think you read my mind!;)

Very smart dress the one with the belt, luv the wedges :)
The lady has personal style.
Respect plz.

I think Kate looks teriffic. Have to disagree with the personal style, tho. She's wearing what everyone else is wearing!

But I liked the summery gray print dress...I just don't think it was necessary to let everyone know how cheap it was. It was an obvious ham-handed effort to counter bad press over the expensive and gaudy(imo) Olympic necklace.

Clarence House not only didn't announce the price of the dress, they chose not to even confirm who made it. They would only say that Kate has had it for a while. The press figured out that it was Hobbs and that it was on sale at £35. The was no attempt to counter any press received as a result of the necklace whatsoever.

Looks like I'm going to have to have words with all my female friends who wear skinny jeans on an almost daily basis. They obviously don't realise how vulgar they are and how inappropriate it is for them to be seen wearing them in public. Some of them even wear them to church, horror of horrors!

Are your female friends all representing their country on the highest level when wearing their skinny jeans? :)

I find it ridiculous that Clarence House feels the need to say ANYTHING about the clothes Kate wears.

Are your female friends all representing their country on the highest level when wearing their skinny jeans? :)

I don't see anything wrong with her wearing skinny jeans at the events she's worn them at--which have been athletic-type events. It's not like she's going to a gallery opening or something in them.

I sincerely doubt there is any official dress code for 3 young people to follow while watching the Olympic torch being passed from one runner to another. All 3 were dressed is a casual sporty fashion entirely appropriate to the occassion and for their age group. It wasn't exactly a formal event.

I don't think Clarence House ever comments on what the Duchess is wearing and certainly never reveals the costs of her clothes. That seems to have become a fixation of the fashionistas in the press. I guess it does help the designers and retail outlets since they seem to sell out and require reorders to meet demands after being seen on Catherine.

A couple of them are daughters of a well-known politician. Another is the daughter of our church's minister. I suppose if it's good enough for the First Lady of the US, Mrs Obama then it's good enough for them.

Clarence House does exactly the same as Buckingham Palace by confirming the designers of the clothes that Camilla and Kate are wearing to official engagements. We get told who designed the Queen's outfits when she's in public. That's been happening for years. On this occasion, CH refused to say who designed Kate's dress simply saying that it was a personal piece she'd had for a while.
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=mi...183&start=0&ndsp=23&ved=1t:429,r:19,s:0,i:132

She does look like her father, while Pippa and James look more like Carole, imo.

As for the shoes, I love the wedge style; I can't really wear very high heels so the wedge are a nice alternative.

I agree that she favors her father, who I think is a very nice looking man, rather patrician.

Wedge shoes are all the rage this season; she has chosen a very conservative pair which look nice and lend a more casual look with her dress. All in all a very attractive and appropriate outfit!

P.S. Love the capped sleeves; I wish Sophie would follow suit instead of wearing so many sleeveless dresses.

There is a dress code for everything when you're royality and I think you only fool yourself if you think rules don't apply in that world at least. I see some comment was make above to the effect that a dress code for torch lighting was not avaliable ... well it may not be written in stone but it's not jeggings IMO ....

Oh, let's move on from the jeans, shall we? :)

Kate wore another blue outfit today.
According to reports, her outfit for the reception is ice blue dress by Alan Jones of PA.

designer is Christopher Kane. According to Express, Aides dont know if its what Catherine will wear to the opening ceremony. I dont think what Catherine wears is high on BP's agenda

Oh, let's move on from the jeans, shall we? :)

Kate wore another blue outfit today.
According to reports, her outfit for the reception is ice blue dress by Alan Jones of PA.

Richard Palmer, the royal reporter, informs that Kate's dress tonight is from Christopher Kane. And that Alan Jones of PA describes that it is ice blue.
https://twitter.com/RoyalReporter

This is a very popular thread and it would be a great shame if it has to be closed, even temporarily, because of some of the personal and derogatory comments being made. This is not what this Forum is about, and it isn't fair on other posters.

I don't write this to offend anyone.

Can we please move on?

Offending posts duly removed.
Guys, please watch your terminology. What may be colloquial to some members may be offensive to others.
The English language has no shortage of adjectives so it's best to avoid such terms and expressions.

Warren
Admin

This is appropriate for the occasion. I little too close in color to Her Majesty's outfit but I don't think it's that big a deal.

Can't say I particularly like this outfit.
I mean, the colour is great and it's certainly appropriate - but it's not my cup of tea.

Love the colour, Charlene was wearing a similar colour, but this looks old structured and too fitting for a 30 year old. I hope she's not wearing that for the 3 hour opening ceremony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom