The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 9: June 2012 - September 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lovely summery dress, looks very light and cool given temps in London are 30C/86F plus. I prefer this £35 dress to the £500 Stella McCartney she wore to the NPG the other day. I even like the wedges, perfect for walking on the football field. She wasn't actually playing football (I think she was playing table tennis) so flats weren't necessary.

Lovely summery dress, looks very light and cool given temps in London are 30C/86F plus. I prefer this £35 dress to the £500 Stella McCartney she wore to the NPG the other day. I even like the wedges, perfect for walking on the football field. She wasn't actually playing football (I think she was playing table tennis) so flats weren't necessary.
I like this one better too; the only advantage of McCartney dress was the bright colour.
She didn't play football - William did (and enthusiastically too).

The dress is nice enough but looks high-waisted on Kate (I've noticed many of her dresses do, like the Jesire one she once wore to the National Gallery).
I guess she doesn't mind this.

Love the look and it's perfect for the weather and the event.

Always surprised by how contradictory some of these posts are- all in the eye of the beholder I suppose. For example, high-waisted vs belt around the belly. :)

Love the dress, regardless of price. It fits well and looks to be well made. I like the addition of the belt and choice of wedges. I would have loved to have seen her hair pulled back in a ponytail though, for some reason I'm thinking it would have been more in step with the event. All-in-all she looks great.

Always surprised by how contradictory some of these posts are- all in the eye of the beholder I suppose. For example, high-waisted vs belt around the belly. :)
That's because the latest dresses, not being the right size, end up sitting high-waisted on Catherine without being tailored that way, which throws everything slightly off-balance.
Just look at the Stella McCartney dress on the model, with everything in the spot where it's meant to be.;)

Very smart dress the one with the belt, luv the wedges :)
The lady has personal style.
Respect plz.

It's the issue with any off-the-peg clothing for all of us!

I am what my husband calls curvy ;) but I am also short. Majority of off-the-peg dresses would require the services of a royal page. Perhaps HM would lend me hers now they are practiced in carrying a train :lol:

But, back on topic, I think the high-waists help to balance out her figure.

She looks great! She has a shorter torso, but the dresses look fine.

As far as wedges go, I can't live without them and often wear them in public, thank you very much. They are much more comfortable than regular heels, and if you're going to be on grass at all, they give you more stability.

The dress is nice, it seams like a Burberry pattern...

I love the dress! Perfect for her as well as the shoes. :)

I love the dress. She looked nice today.

I like it. It's nice to see her in a dress with a pattern. The belt pulls everything together.

This dress is nice it's somethings that looks comfortable to wear with pumps or flats, and it looks nice on her the way she wore it.

i think she looks great - she has a long torso and proportionately a good chest, so sometimes the off the peg items do tend to settle a bit high. Having said that - she may actually like it that way - I felt the Yellow Emilia Wickstead dress was too high waisted as well and that was supposedly custom made - maybe it is her perferred fit. I do think the belt helped anchor the dress.
And the wedges are perfect - its a summer heel that she can wear on the grass without sinking and it looks lovely with her summer dress.

I think Catherine's Hobbs dress is great on her. It looks very comfortable, which was probably the main concern for this event, since it involved being active. The shoes were a good choice too. Overall, well done.

She looked great at the event today in the Hobbs dress - it was a casual outing for the Duchess and in the summer heat this look was a perfect choice

One thing regarding the Hobbs dress; for whatever reason, DM chose to print the sale price - not the original, which is closer to £90.
Not very expensive, but not that cheap either.

Anyway, three more pictures for a perspective:
- Hair
- Make up
- The shoes

No idea why she keeps buying dresses a couple of sizes too small.
Nothing sits in the right spot here - the dress could have looked nice enough, but its belt ends up around the belly instead of the waist, skirt a tad too short, sleeves too tiny.
Those sling back wedges are ugly, but then I don't understand anyway why wedges would be worn by any woman in public. For an engagement involving sports activity, what's wrong with nice ballet flats?
Use wedges for gardening only - preferrably as flower pots.
Your observations are spot on. The key point in this ensemble is a democratic price.

Boring dress hate the shoes and the hair down for this type of engagement I ask why ... Osti had a dress wit hthat very pattern when I was a girl my Nana had one which is how I nremember it so well and I can tell you that was some 40 yrs ago now I am a vintage crazy person but this is insane IMO of course

I agree with those who say it's a lovely summer look. I think it's a bit bland (gray and white are a bit boring to me), but appropriate for the event.

Your observations are spot on. The key point in this ensemble is a democratic price.
Agree about the poor fit of the dress and that this isn't the first time the waist has been off. I always look to see the fit, first and in off the peg clothing, a bigger size doesn't necessarily mean it will fit better.
I think spending money on cheap clothing that doesn't fit is a true waste of money.
The only reason some of these clothes from inexpensive brands look pretty good on her is that she is very tall and thin. Forget about the rest of us mortals;)

I like the dress very much on her.

I think the cut of the dress is nice but only if it did fit well. The color is dull and washed out, the print is not pretty. I don't understand why she wore a dress in the first place, IMO pants would be more suitable with flats or low heels.
I think this look for todays event wasn't thought out well.

They're skinny jeans. I'm a few years younger than Kate and pretty much all my female friends wear skinny jeans, or drain pipes, or 'jeggings' or similar all the time. I'm the exception because I'm just the wrong shape for them. If I had Kate's figure, more particularly Kate's legs, I would never wear anything else.

I love those jeans, both the style and the color. However, I think they highlight her thinness a perhaps a bit too much; or maybe I'm just jealous of her legs! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom