The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 8: April 2012 - June 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who would have ever thought that red would have been an appropriate color if you don't wish to detract from the Queen? A very smart decision to wear it given the color scheme of the barge.

Last edited:
Such a gorgeous red! This dress is very classic and elegant. The hat is interesting, I like it. Overall, I though she looked great!

I liked the red dress and hat. It was bright and stood out against the dark uniforms of William & Harry. At times, Kate red hat was the only thing you could see in the wide shots once the royal barge moored up by Tower Bridge. She can't be accused of stealing the Queen's spotlight. I also loved the dolphin brooch she got from the Royal Navy submarine service which William is the royal commadore. Glad that the boys wore their army and raf uniforms and not navy ones since that is where they serve with. The navy had plenty of representation with Phillip, Charles, Andrew, Anne & Tim.

Pippa and Carole were present? That's nice. I think Kate looked great in the red and as usual a half up half down looks amazing.

I think red shoes would've been too matchy. The nude heels were the right choice. Although, her feet must've been pretty sore after over 4 hours of constant standing.

I love Kate's red outfit! She looks amazing!

I think red shoes would've been too matchy. The nude heels were the right choice. Although, her feet must've been pretty sore after over 4 hours of constant standing.

I'm not sure "too matchy" is really much of an issue when you have a red dress, red hat, and red clutch. My point is that the beige heels were impractical, but Kate is not known for her practical sartorial choices. :)

(editing to add: and a red umbrella, too! LOL)

Last edited:
She took my breath away- stunning! If that is not princess perfection, I don't know what is!

Maybe the red shoes were the wrong shade of red. Red can be hard to match.

roseroyal said:
She took my breath away- stunning! If that is not princess perfection, I don't know what is!

I agree. I think she looked every bit a royal princess today. Her tartan scarf and her brooch were the perfect finishing touches.

Maybe the red shoes were the wrong shade of red. Red can be hard to match.

Exactly what I was thinking - there are many different reds and if you're going to match red, it has to be exact.

Also, matching the red of her outfit and hat to the red on the barge was absolutely the right thing to do. If she had chosen navy or white, she would have stood out as much as the Queen did and she definitely did not want to go there.

I'm not sure "too matchy" is really much of an issue when you have a red dress, red hat, and red clutch. My point is that the beige heels were impractical, but Kate is not known for her practical sartorial choices. :)

(editing to add: and a red umbrella, too! LOL)
At any other time I would agree with you 100%, but not this time. Her beautiful beige shoes matched her beige and red tartan scarf but in all honesty I'll bet a dollar to nothing that the advice given was "wear comfortable shoes". And, let's face it, those shoes seem to be the ones we have seen her wear the most and are probably the most "broken in". However, I'll bet she's looking at the height with a whole new perspective after standing around on a barge for so many hours! ;)

I think we may also see her taking a page out of the Queen and Camilla's books and maybe going for the coat over dress look to give more protection from the elements in future for such occasions. Her dress was lovely but she looked frozen to the marrow by the end of the pageant. At one point I saw her comparing her white frozen mitt to the boys gloved one's. If they'd been wearing anything but uniform I bet she would have pinched one from each on the premise that they could stick their bare hand in their pocket! :D

I think we may also see her taking a page out of the Queen and Camilla's books and maybe going for the coat over dress look to give more protection from the elements in future for such occasions. Her dress was lovely but she looked frozen to the marrow by the end of the pageant. At one point I saw her comparing her white frozen mitt to the boys gloved one's. If they'd been wearing anything but uniform I bet she would have pinched one from each on the premise that they could stick their bare hand in their pocket! :D

Marg, I absolutely second your view, it made my morning! :ROFLMAO: isn't a lovely thought that we are going to watch a young bride turn into a future queen right before our eyes? Catherine is so willing to learn and so quick to do it, too, so I guess she is already planning how to use her new ideas/experiences to adapt parts of her wardrobe.

Did you notice Kate sported just the right coloured red umbrella too! Now that is colour coordination for you

:previous: True, but she won't have truly aced it until she has one of those clear ones with a red trim. Then there's no danger of taking out someones eye, and we can still get a really good look!

I thought the red on Kate was a bit of a standout until I saw the barge - red, red, red. Kate just faded into the background while the Queen in white stood out, which was completely appropriate. Kate also made sure to stand further towards the back. Kate is not the type to draw attention to herself.

As for the color, I agree that no royal lady just turns up in a color without prior approval and/or direction from the Queen. All the royal ladies, except for Queen and Camilla, were in navies and red. Eugenie had a cream coat but she was not on the same platform.
I saw the procession on TV and Kate did definitely NOT fade into the background. Every time the camera was on her she definitely stood out. But since white is also a very strong colour and since the Queen was standing on the most prominent place she was not overshadowed IMO.
And I agree that the colours were most probably coordinated/approved. The barge is red, white and golden. So the Queen wore white, Camilla gold and Kate red.

I do like the suit and the colour, I really like tos ee Kate inr ed because of her dark hair, she looks fabulous.:flowers::flowers:

She is MAGNIFICENT!!!
Maybe the hat in nude tones, would not be bad either, but in any case she was perfect!!
And by far she wore the outfit in the best way that the two others!!!

I would love Kate to wear trousers this afternoon/evening - totally practical given the inclement weather & the nature of the event- but somehow I can't see it happening.

I would love Kate to wear trousers this afternoon/evening - totally practical given the inclement weather & the nature of the event- but somehow I can't see it happening.

Interesting point, but I think it will never happen! I can't recal any british royal lady wearing trousers in such an event. Does someone remember one?

Kate was the height of sophistication. A simple yet very chic outfit suited her superbly along with the shade. I just loved the hat too. Overall, an absolutely perfect look for a very proud and handsome Prince William.

In my opinion, Kate is plain pretty. She's a goodlooking woman, but put her in a big crowd and she wouldn't stand out. Nothing wrong with that, most of us don't. We're not all genetic freaks ala Kate Moss or Adriana Lima.

Ok Adriana Lima has an exotic look, and has a great figure, but Kate Moss??? ...she doesn't reach 10% of Kate's Middleton beauty, a part being super skinny, since it's considered a quality nowadays:sad:, I wonder why you consider K. Moss having good genes. The one who has good genes it's the Duchess of Cambridge, her figure, her height, her charisma, unlike K. Moss who has an unhealthy look and skinny legs full of cellulite;)

Last edited:
I don't think the high heels should've been an issue. There were lovely red velvet seats around the thrones, obviously designed for the rest of the royal party to perch on. For some reason not one of them chose to sit down; I suppose it's one of those occasions where no one wants to be the first one to sit down so in the end they all stay standing for 4 hours.

I'm sure Kate assumed that with the special seating they'd all be sitting down at some stage, but when HM chose not to sit I think the rest of them felt they couldn't either. Quite funny when you think about it.

Ok Adriana Lima has an exotic look, and has a great figure, but Kate Moss??? ...she doesn't reach 10% of Kate's Middleton beauty, a part being super skinny, since it's considered a quality nowadays:sad:, I wonder why you consider K. Moss having good genes. The one who has good genes it's the Duchess of Cambridge, her figure, her height, her charisma, unlike K. Moss who has an unhealthy look and skinny legs full of cellulite;)

Agree with you! Catherine has a natural global beauty! Kate Moss??? Nothing for me. She writes nice in pictures (with all the makeup and styling) but in reality, if we did'n know her what would we think? Just another very skinny girl, with insignifiant face.

Interesting point, but I think it will never happen! I can't recal any british royal lady wearing trousers in such an event. Does someone remember one?

Princess Anne did yesterday!:flowers:

I don't think the high heels should've been an issue. There were lovely red velvet seats around the thrones, obviously designed for the rest of the royal party to perch on. For some reason not one of them chose to sit down; I suppose it's one of those occasions where no one wants to be the first one to sit down so in the end they all stay standing for 4 hours.

I'm sure Kate assumed that with the special seating they'd all be sitting down at some stage, but when HM chose not to sit I think the rest of them felt they couldn't either. Quite funny when you think about it.

I personally think that the plush upholstery of the seats became damp through the foggy air, so they simply couldn't be used.

Last edited by a moderator:

I was thinking that's the reason she chose those shoes; she has worn them so frequently that they must be comfortable.
And of course no one may sit if the Queen is standing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom