The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 8: April 2012 - June 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking jeans and a sweater would have been more practical. :ROFLMAO:

I'm thinking jeans and a sweater would have been more practical. :ROFLMAO:

It would have been more practical, but then again, Kate would've felt very out of place. Other women - as evidenced by videos available of the event - were wearing knee-length dresses or skirts.

CanRoyal said:
It would have been more practical, but then again, Kate would've felt very out of place. Other women - as evidenced by videos available of the event - were wearing knee-length dresses or skirts.

I don't think so, you wear what you like to a private event. Just because other people wear skirts, which suited them doesn't mean you have to.

But Kate wasn't just a spectator, she was presenting prizes. The Queen goes to the polo and presents trophies to the winners, and she most certainly looks the part. She doesn't just pop along in head scarf and wax jacket.

EIIR said:
But Kate wasn't just a spectator, she was presenting prizes. The Queen goes to the polo and presents trophies to the winners, and she most certainly looks the part. She doesn't just pop along in head scarf and wax jacket.

And she's The Queen. Freezing yesterday and Catherine didn't exactly look the part in that dress.

And she's The Queen. Freezing yesterday and Catherine didn't exactly look the part in that dress.

The weather in London and Surrey was very mild yesterday, so one was comfortable outdoors without a jumper.

As regards whether Kate looked the part or not is an entirely subjective matter. I thought she was dressed quite appropriately for the low key nature of the event. I am not fan of the dress, but dresses of that style seem quite fashionable this year. Perhaps recessionary Britain is learning to dress conservatively this season!

She is a style-free zone at the best of times but this is her most horrific outfit yet.

An odd choice for this occassion and though I like the shoes and I really like this dress they are not for the event.Was there something I am missing here?? Is there another event going on that requires her to look dressy .. the woman they are both speaking with is also dressed up so maybe ..... but I agree when a royal goes anywhere must not have skirt blowing about...

I think the dress design is cute and retro, but the fabric just doesn't seem to mesh. The espadrilles are awful. I know everyone likes toned legs, but her legs look manley(sp?) and I find that quite unattractive.

I am clearly in minority here. I thought she looked terrific. I love the "blousy" look and do not consider it as "too large or ill fitting". I too think there were a few weights in this dress and it blows about in rather a different way. The DM is trying to make an issue in their picture of her running but I think that was because she was running and not because it was blowing up. That dress would have been up above her shoulders if not weighted. Clearly we all have different opinions .... variety is the spice of life. :)

Lumutqueen said:
I don't think so, you wear what you like to a private event. Just because other people wear skirts, which suited them doesn't mean you have to.

I don't know about anyone else, but I tend to choose what to wear base on what everyone else is wearing. I wouldn't wear jeans and a t-shirt to an event where everyone else is dressed in skirts/dresses and the men in dress pants.

The weather in London and Surrey was very mild yesterday, so one was comfortable outdoors without a jumper.

As regards whether Kate looked the part or not is an entirely subjective matter. I thought she was dressed quite appropriately for the low key nature of the event. I am not fan of the dress, but dresses of that style seem quite fashionable this year. Perhaps recessionary Britain is learning to dress conservatively this season!

Apparently not without a long sleeved dress though. At such a low key event, jeans and a t-shirt with a cardi wouldn't have looked out of place either.
The price certainly wasn't conservative nor recessionary.

I don't know about anyone else, but I tend to choose what to wear base on what everyone else is wearing. I wouldn't wear jeans and a t-shirt to an event where everyone else is dressed in skirts/dresses and the men in dress pants.

How would you know what people were wearing until you turned up though? We know from past looks like Catherine has most often worn jeans and boots to the polo matches she's watched. She was presenting an award this time, so ditch the boots and wear flats.

Last edited:
I think the dress design is cute and retro, but the fabric just doesn't seem to mesh. The espadrilles are awful. I know everyone likes toned legs, but her legs look manley(sp?) and I find that quite unattractive.
Plus the shoe style doesn't go with the dress. I think they are ugly but could have worked with a cotton sundress. It just wasn't sundress weather.

I agree with your comment on her legs. They remind me of the gross pictures you see of female body bulders. Ick!!

Like most here, I thought the dress was a little too dowdy. If Kate had even left the two top buttons open, it would have looked more sporty.

I am not fan of the dress, but dresses of that style seem quite fashionable this year. Perhaps recessionary Britain is learning to dress conservatively this season!

I wouldn't be at all surprised if she kept up wearing outfits like the above (maybe not as fugly ;)) to events that aren't too demanding of how fancy one has to dress.

She wears pasty earings because she wants to show she didn't marry William for his wealth. She wears outfits that won't upstage their friends or her husband when she can. They really don't want the attention that his mother got and she definitely doesn't want or need it (her expression when she sights photographers on their non-public time speaks volumes). Right now she is a helicopter pilot's wife and that is what they currently want...ie a normal life as much as possible. Already people are getting tired of her daytime wear on news conversation threads and are asking for poor Pippa to be hounded instead.

She will be stylish when the situation demands it otherwise she'll do her darndest I'm sure to not stand out from the crowd.

Last edited:
I love Kate's hair in that picture, the way it curls is very pretty.
I think the dress would have been better if the belt was higher.
Other woman at this event were wearing dresses, so the idea of wearin jeans is out. I also think the other women were wearing heels but in not sure. There is one woman wearing a black dress with a white shawl around her shoulders, I think if Kate had worn that it would have been nice.

Last edited:
"manly"?

Man, women cannot win. If we're curvy, we're unhealthy and should lose some weight. If we're thin, we should put some on, but muscle, not fat because fat is bad. Then, if we're very dedicated and athletic and in fantastic shape... we're "manly".

There is no one perfect body type and everyone needs to love the body they have. Can we please not criticize the Duchess's body? Her fashion is fair game but her body is not.

Apparently not without a long sleeved dress though. At such a low key event, jeans and a t-shirt with a cardi wouldn't have looked out of place either.
The price certainly wasn't conservative nor recessionary.

What is your issue with a long sleeved dress on a day like last Sunday?

I can certainly imagine all the negative comments on this very forum had she appeared at the event in jeans and a t-shirt to hand out the prizes after the polo.

"manly"?

Man, women cannot win. If we're curvy, we're unhealthy and should lose some weight. If we're thin, we should put some on, but muscle, not fat because fat is bad. Then, if we're very dedicated and athletic and in fantastic shape... we're "manly".

There is no one perfect body type and everyone needs to love the body they have. Can we please not criticize the Duchess's body? Her fashion is fair game but her body is not.

Could not agree more with you. The carping will carry on endlessly, no matter what Catherine's body shape is, or how she is dressed under the guise of a "discussion" on the fashion thread.

As you can see on this very thread, some find it objectionable she wore a dress to hand out prizes at the Polo, as opposed to jeans and a t-shirt. The next objection was that her dress had sleeves. And that is before you get to the fact that her dress did not cost 9.99.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was posted on another thread (thank you ghost_night554) and shows that Kate correctly chose a dress for this polo match - the Audi Polo Challenge. Jeans & a t-shirt would have been inappropriate. (Also, the proceeds benefited Harry's charity, Sentebale - so it was very appropriate that William and Kate support him in this endeavor.)
Audi Polo Challenge - Duke of Cambridge & Prince Harry playing polo - YouTube

LadyoftheLake said:
....She wears pasty earings because she wants to show she didn't marry William for his wealth. She wears outfits that won't upstage their friends or her husband when she can. They really don't want the attention that his mother got and she definitely doesn't want or need it (her expression when she sights photographers on their non-public time speaks volumes). Right now she is a helicopter pilot's wife and that is what they currently want...ie a normal life as much as possible. Already people are getting tired of her daytime wear on news conversation threads and are asking for poor Pippa to be hounded instead.

She will be stylish when the situation demands it otherwise she'll do her darndest I'm sure to not stand out from the crowd.

I think this is a very astute comment. I believe Kate has been quoted as saying something along the lines of I am not a clotheshorse as well as she would want the focus to be on her brother-in-law's favorite charity - Sentebale. So what you say certainly fits in with that point of view.

Last edited:
I was going to say last week after posters had accused Kate of looking like a trashy slut that, having previously also been accused of looking like a clown among other things, that the only thing she hadn't been compared to is a drag queen. Now she apparently looks 'manly' with the legs of a bodybuilder we've pretty much got the full set of insults. What do you all think?

I think that she has been well dressed adn done a good job as Duchess so far. She doesn't need to be a fashion icon. And I agree with LadyoftheLake.
And on another note. I love her legs, they are defined and muscular. I would much rather see that than untoned legs. Of course, I run everyday so my legs look a lot like Kate's. Just shows me she's physically active and enjoys looking and feeling good.

It's just a bad dress. It doesn't portend to anything but a bad her choice for a relatively private event. If we're all honest we have a piece or 2 in our closet the we love but others don't and that's fine.. She's allowed to wear anything she likes just because she likes it. We don't have to like or love it and can we comment in it all day long but it's only a dress. On her next appearance she'll wearing something different.

I have no problem at all with Kate wearing a dress to the polo match since others were dressed that way and she was presenting awards. I just dislike the style and fit of the outfit; I still feel it's too big and matronly on her.

"manly"?

I've come to the conclusion that I really don't care if Kate is fat or thin. Kate is Kate.

I made the "manly legs" comment. Kate's legs do not look feminine, therefore they look manly. I can see where sinewy women wold not agree with me, and that's fine. My comment was not a criticism, merely an observation. I think I'll stop commenting, in the fashion threads, on anything but fashion.

In that vein, I guess I liked the two daytime dresses. They could be a bit longer, but it is of no consequence.

"manly"?

Fantastic post. :flowers:

Kate has nice, toned legs and I don't see anything manly about them. It's a real shame that people are criticizing her legs (as well as the legs of many other women with similar body types).

Last edited:
"manly"?

Perfectly said!!!
Even if you go throught the other threads, you see that is always something wrong with the princesses! They are always too.... something!
Too thin, too fat, too high heels, too underdressed, too everdressed, too .... too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom