The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 8: April 2012 - June 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh, I don't mind it. Don't love it, don't hate it. She must have weights in the skirt this time, otherwise it would've been up round her shoulders as it's VERY windy today.
Doubt there were any weights sewn in, at least not judging by this picture from DM.

I go for both, granny on Little House on the Prairie. Kate looks horrible, very unkempt.

^^ No weitghts sewn in, but this pic will no doubt inspire a lot of speculations...

:previous:
Well, Kate looked skinnier than ever during last night's gala, so no speculations of that kind for a while, I'm afraid. ;)
It's just a horribly unflattering and ill-fitting dress.

^ Yes, but you know medias, they are able to speculate about anything! :lol:

I am not a fan of this look and I don't know why as I do not mind the dress. Perhaps it is that it just does not suit her nor does it fit properly, IMO. I really do not like the shoes.

I'm not a fan of the look. The shoes are all right, but the dress is absolutely awful. Doesn't fit very well and the color looks as if it's been in the washer too many times. Sorry Catherine, but this was a miss.

Awful dress, very old Laura Ashley or Little House on the Prairie.

Hate this dress! It ages her too much.

And not very practical footwear to wear on uneven surfaces, at least for me.

Last edited:
And not very practical footwear to wear on uneven surfaces, at least for me.

Probably good for stamping down the divots in the field at half time as is the custom. I felt sorry for the ladies who showed up in heels, very impractical given how wet it has been and not good for walking out onto a polo field.

Yep, you get all dressed up to attend a polo match and then you march out on the field at half time and fix the divots. Heels are not recommended.

Honestly, I thought you were pulling my own leg (encased in a flat slipper) which is why I had removed my post. I didn't think well-dressed ladies at polo matches wearing heels would stamp divots at polo matches! Must be so much fun.

Well sometimes they bring their glass of champagne with them, so it is sort of like a cocktail party out there while stamping down divots. A womans work is never done.

Last edited:
I suspect drinking champagne while stamping divots would increase the levity of a dull task. Men get to play and women must toil.....

Last edited:
I am not a fan of this look and I don't know why as I do not mind the dress. Perhaps it is that it just does not suit her nor does it fit properly, IMO. I really do not like the shoes.
Plus the style of the shoe does not go with the style of the dress. I had a thought about the fit of some of Catherine's clothes. I know she has lost some weight, but what about this idea - maybe because of her height, she has to get some of the off the rack things a little larger to keep them from being too short. I spent a lot of years having to buy blouses a size larger to get the sleeves long enough for my arm length. This was before tall sizes became more prevelant.

:previous: I had not thought of that, but a seamstress could always alter them slightly for her so that the fit is a little better.

If that's the case, then she needs to have those clothes altered and taken in. But I can't see why she can't find clothing proportional to her height if she's concerned about the hemlines. And I thought as a petite person, I had problems with hems too long!

Last edited:
The dress looks like something she pulled out of he mothers closet years ago. The color is dull, the cut is unflattering - has no shape what so ever to it. Polo matches are fun events where Kate could be spotted in bright colors, bold prints with a nice wrap or keep it all plain but young.

Hmm, it's too much of a contrast for me from the night before! I've gone off these day dresses :-(

I congratulate Kate! She is bound and determined not to feed the photographers when she's out and about on non official duties. I'm sure if she keeps this up they will be following her less and less. We all know she had better taste than this from pre-wedding pics so one is only left with thinking she has to be doing this deliberately. :whistling:

Again well done Kate! Eventually you two may get a more normal life (however sooner or later babes will be in tow and all will be for naught).

Really? You think she thinks that by wearing a dowdy dress she's going to cause less interest in herself and her husband - the future King and Queen of England?

This dress is dull, aging and poorly fitted. I can't imagine, even if you want NO attention drawn to you, that you would want to project that image. Just when I think Kate is starting to grow into her role as princess, she disappoints me with an outing like this.

I also don't like the dress, don't like the cut and the collar, but to me she is the kind of person that can wear almoust anything and look nice!

The style is retro. It reminds me of the Mulberry dress she wore to the reception for the press at BP. You see quite a lot of this kind of girly, buttoned up, old fashioned style on the high street at the moment. I have a blouse in a similar style that I got from Topshop that I wear to work under a black blazer.

The wedges are the perfect shoes for polo. We've had so much rain lately, I have no doubt it was muddy. The height will have stopped her feet getting dirty, which would've been the risk in flats. Heels would've been a disaster. Funnily enough, on the Libelula model for this dress, the designer has also paired it with brown wedges:

Rebecca Shirt Dress

I think the fashion is in for this type of matronly style. CPrincess MM of Norway also recently wore a Valentino dress with such button-up & big bellow sleeve.

I think the fashion is in for this type of matronly style. CPrincess MM of Norway also recently wore a Valentino dress with such button-up & big bellow sleeve.

Yes, but MM's dress was also horrendous.

Last edited:
Well I think the dress could be improved immensely by having almost the same style of sleeve - but have it fastening at the elbow and not the wrist.

Also at the end of the day, Kate has had very few fashion misses since her engagement.

And thanks for the insight as to why the shoes were chosen.

Both Queen Elizabeth and Princess Anne were born princesses and yet I know they don't give two hoots what others think about their clothes when they are out and about on non-official duties. Her outfit is at least in style (though most hate it). I know I saw similar outfits here and they cost a pretty fortune.

The interest in her will never cease but maybe, just maybe, newspapers won't sell as much based on her image in the daytime clothes they manage to catch her wearing so the intrusive pack *might* lessen somewhat. On their off time they aren't public domain so I'm sure they are bound and determined to make themselves as uninteresting as they possibly can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom