The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 07:24 PM
Serene Highness

i also would wear what kate wears so i guess xenia and i can be called matronly :) did anyone notice that lovely piece of lace peaking out from underneath her hat? i thought i was a wonderful touch

imo kate isnt suppose to dress like a movie star or a singer and her modest style of dress fit the occasion or would you rather her wear a micro mini skirt, wearing a sprapless top and spike heels, c'mon people she is a or will be a head of state and that does call for modesty in her style of dress and grooming so call it what u will matronly, plan, modest etc her dress fit the occasion

Old 05-31-2012, 07:39 PM
Courtier

except for the remark about Kate being or who will be a head of state I agree. Kate as future Queen consort will never be a head of state, only William if the time comes.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
EIIR, I'm sure you'd have looked beautiful in Kate's pink dress and would have accessorized it nicely with a lovely scarf or piece of jewelry. I personally liked the dress, but I felt it aged her a bit. I think if any one of us wore it, though, we would have personalized it to our own tastes and maybe given it a different spin on the look. And, actually, I loved the red suit on her at St. Andrews; she's so suited to bright colors.
I agree it's a nice suit, and the colour suited Kate. But, personally, I wouldn't wear that outfit because to me its in the Mary/Maxima/Mathilde age range.

To be honest, probably the most 'age appropriate' items in Kate's wardrobe are the knee high boots with skinny jeans. Her boots have not been at all popular here, and yet they are incredibly ubiquitous among my friends and women our age.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:36 PM
Heir Apparent

I've always felt that Kate looks best in her sporty outdoors look. She looks like a Ralph Lauren model who models those line of clothes; her figure is particularly suited to outdoor jackets, boots and skinny jeans that emphasize her long leggy physique.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:12 PM
Serene Highness

thx kit i didnt know what her future title will be
Old 06-01-2012, 05:15 AM
Administrator

This is a fashion thread - the smoking discussion has been removed as off-topic! Thanks for your understanding!
Old 06-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I'm sorry I ruffled your feathers, but the fact remains that Kate does not have good skin and it ages her.
Thanks for that.

To be honest I haven't done an in-depth study of Kate's face and complexion. I'm assuming that this poor skin is the reason that she, as some people say, uses too much make-up, i.e. to camouflage it. ?

It was her dress sense that made me see her as a lot older than she is.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Courtier

It's interesting seeing the skin discussion between Kate and Mary since people have always goes to the different extremes with each of these ladies, both have been accused of having bad skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breffney View Post
Thanks for that.

To be honest I haven't done an in-depth study of Kate's face and complexion. I'm assuming that this poor skin is the reason that she, as some people say, uses too much make-up, i.e. to camouflage it. ?

A lot of celebs, journalist and royal ladies (Mary) used a lot of make-up (which you can especially see in close up photos). I don't think it's has anything to do with bad skin but with camera light
Old 06-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Courtier

I, too, love Kate in jeans, sporty jackets and boots.

I find it interesting that a number of the young ladies on this forum (those in and around Kate's age) say that they would wear the pink pleated dress and a lot of the clothes that Kate does.

I think that one of the reasons that I find some of Kate's outfits, especially the pleated dresses, so ageing is that I can remember when those type of dresses were worn by older ladies.

Some fashion styles tend to re-appear every few decades. When I was a kid in the early 1970's those dresses were usually worn by ladies 60+ (well, in Ireland, anyway).

If I never had that experience of them I might see them as the ultimate in modern dress.? Just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
A lot of celebs, journalist and royal ladies (Mary) used a lot of make-up (which you can especially see in close up photos). I don't think it's has anything to do with bad skin but with camera light
I must start following Mary's fashion thread.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:28 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Some fashion styles tend to re-appear every few decades. When I was a kid in the early 1970's those dresses were usually worn by ladies 60+ (well, in Ireland, anyway).
its the same here in the states im guessing that some are thinking of seeing older ones wearing such styles? but i love the 60 & 50's looks, very polish and lady like imo
Old 06-02-2012, 12:25 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I find it interesting that a number of the young ladies on this forum (those in and around Kate's age) say that they would wear the pink pleated dress and a lot of the clothes that Kate does.
In my profession I work with many young 20 - and 30 - somethings - and I can vouch that there is an interest in all things 1950's'ish. My young colleagues love watching 'Mad Men', for example.

I have to concur that I do not see Kate's fashion choices as 'aging'. The pink dress is in keeping with young women around me - there is a turning towards a more 'polished' presentation, and a less 'Madonna-like', 'trashy' and sexually explicit presentation as out of the 1980's.

That said, the choice of dress spans an arc - from form-fitting and a celebration of the body, to polished elegance, attention to every detail of make-up and nails, etc.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I, too, love Kate in jeans, sporty jackets and boots.

Count me as one of those young ladies that would wear what Catherine wears. Mind you, not everything, because my figure is nothing like hers, but the overall style is definitely up my alley. Several months ago, I met up with my grandmother in New York City and she told me that my style of dress that day was very much like Catherine's. That was the best compliment someone could have paid me, because I think Catherine dresses in a very mature and lady-like fashion.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:01 AM
Courtier

Quote:

I think kate wears lots of makeup to cover up her plain looks.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:20 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujean

She doesn't have "plain looks". She's one of those many people who 'assume' she looks better with make up on, and piles it on.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:43 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
She doesn't have "plain looks". She's one of those many people who 'assume' she looks better with make up on, and piles it on.
In my opinion she is very plain looking.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by semisquare View Post
its the same here in the states im guessing that some are thinking of seeing older ones wearing such styles? but i love the 60 & 50's looks, very polish and lady like imo
I love the style of the 1940's and 1950's. I'm not gone on the 1960's which is weird considering that is the decade I was born in.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujean View Post
In my opinion she is very plain looking.
I think you may rather lonely in that opinion. Most people find her looks range from attractive to gorgeous.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujean View Post
I don't consider her plain. I think that she has lovely eyes and hair. However her hair often annoys me when she wears it swinging around her face on formal occasions.
She doesn't wear it up or in a chignon often enough for my liking. She did recently (she was wearing a long green gown at the time). She looked great.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujean
I think Kate wears her makeup to suit herself, just as she dresses and wears her hair to suit herself. Which is what a confident woman does.

It all seems to be working well for her. Since her engagement, she has been on many magazine covers and the subject of many articles. I don't recall one major credible paper or magazine referring to her as 'plain'.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Heir Apparent

If Catherine is to be considered to be plain than an awful lot of women should just stay inside and put a bag over their heads because they would never measure up to your exacting standards.

Closed Thread