The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 10:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Nice to see the pretty neckline of the dress with the hair back. Needed a necklace or brooch, IMO. Hat served its purpose to keep the hair back, but pretty ugly, at least not like one of Sophies

Old 05-30-2012, 10:16 PM
Nobility

I loved her outfit yesterday. A brooch would have been nice, but regardless she looked beautiful. I would totally wear that ensemble!

Old 05-30-2012, 11:37 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Probably not, but then again none of Kate's 30 year old friends are future queens performing public duties with their husband's family which includes the reigning sovereign and her heir. Her friends can wear whatever they want, Kate doesn't have that freedom.
Exactly. I have seen a great deal of commentary all over the internet criticizing Kate's wardrobe as matronly. IMO, she is dressed appropriately as the future Queen. I'm sure Her Majesty approves of her wardrobe.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:38 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Peach View Post
Exactly. I have seen a great deal of commentary all over the internet criticizing Kate's wardrobe as matronly. IMO, she is dressed appropriately as the future Queen. I'm sure Her Majesty approves of her wardrobe.
And there are some people who are her age that dress very similar to her. Everyone has a different style. She really doesn't seem that matronly to me. She dresses appropriately for her age and position in my opinion. There are some 30 year olds who need to grow up.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:48 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

So how would Diana have coped with Kate? William says he wishes his mother had met Kate. But would the original royal fashion icon have seen her as an ally - or rival? | Mail Online
Old 05-31-2012, 05:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Very interesting article.

In two words my personal opinion is that Diana would be glad with Kate. First of all, because Diana adored her boys, and Kate is the love and the hapiness for William. And secondly, Kate's choice is the result of what Diana always wanted for her kids. A normal, down to earth, happy life. A modern royalty, concious of the actual situation of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Catherine View Post
And there are some people who are her age that dress very similar to her. Everyone has a different style. She really doesn't seem that matronly to me. She dresses appropriately for her age and position in my opinion. There are some 30 year olds who need to grow up.
Correct. Her way to dress is first of all appropriate to her role and future role, and I believe THIS is her main though when she dresses. Being stylish and modern comes after.

I would say that some opposites, like a 40 CP Letizia, dressed in knee-short jeans pants, or in sportish jacket in Army day, this is NOT appropriate for a future Quuen, even if it is modern.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003

Correct. Her way to dress is first of all appropriate to her role and future role, and I believe THIS is her main though when she dresses. Being stylish and modern comes after.
Very true.
And it is as I, and probably many more, would dress if we were in her position.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post

I would say that some opposites, like a 40 CP Letizia, dressed in knee-short jeans pants, or in sportish jacket in Army day, this is NOT appropriate for a future Quuen, even if it is modern.
I must read / post on the Letizia fashion page. She can get it beautifully right or dreadfully wrong at times.

Kate, I don't think, will get it wrong. But, IMO, surely one can dress for the occasion without looking years older than you actually are.

On another forum that I belong to we were comparing pictures of Kate and Mary of Denmark. We all agreed that Kate could easily be Mary's age. !!
Old 05-31-2012, 12:12 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breffney View Post
I must read / post on the Letizia fashion page. She can get it beautifully right or dreadfully wrong at times.

Kate, I don't think, will get it wrong. But, IMO, surely one can dress for the occasion without looking years older than you actually are.

On another forum that I belong to we were comparing pictures of Kate and Mary of Denmark. We all agreed that Kate could easily be Mary's age. !!
Honestly, I'd say it's all everyone's point of view and matter of opinion. We are never going to agree on this or any subject totally. Because Kate's style is very similar to what I would where, I don't find her old, boring, or frumpy and I'm no where near Mary's age and it's younger than Kate. In watching Kate for years, she hasn't really changed her style or who she is. I actually really like that. She's just being who she is. Fashion is a top priority for her and I don't think it should be. It's not her job to be an icon. That's just my opinion though and others will disagree.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, that is partly due to genetics. Kate can't do anything about the fact that up close, she is quite raggedy (meaning her complexion needs some intensive work), but she is very pretty from a distance. Mary has excellent skin and it has been taken care of.

There are many men and women who look 20 years younger than they really are. It is just a fact.

Anyway, comparing one person to another is kind of, well, mean.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Catherine View Post

In watching Kate for years, she hasn't really changed her style or who she is. I actually really like that. She's just being who she is.
I'm really glad that you posted that, Anna Catherine. I haven't been watching Kate for years and had wondered if she had changed her style because of the position she found herself to be in, i.e. serious girfriend, fiancee and finally wife of a future King.

While I may not like a lot of what she wears I have to say that I, too, admire her for being true to who she has always been.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:35 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I'm really glad that you posted that, Anna Catherine. I haven't been watching Kate for years and had wondered if she had changed her style because of the position she found herself to be in, i.e. serious girfriend, fiancee and finally wife of a future King.

While I may not like a lot of what she wears I have to say that I, too, admire her for being true to who she has always been.
Yeah I've watched her since the press first discovered she was his girlfriend waaaaaayyyyyyy back when they were still in college sooooo.... I've always enjoyed keeping up with her and her clothes
Old 05-31-2012, 12:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Well, that is partly due to genetics. Kate can't do anything about the fact that up close, she is quite raggedy (meaning her complexion needs some intensive work), but she is very pretty from a distance. Mary has excellent skin and it has been taken care of.

There are many men and women who look 20 years younger than they really are. It is just a fact.

Excuse me. ! You see two ladies side by side and it is mean to say "gosh, but Mary and Kate could be the same age".

You are the person who was fairly descriptive as to how you view Kate and Mary. Now, your description of Kate was horrible.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:47 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

That's a great line! They all get it beautifully right or dreadfully wrong at times. Some more than others, of course!!!

I think Kate does get it beautifully right, but she's new to the game. Give her time.... (and I love Kate for her ordinariness, but one day she will turn up in a fright - look at Crown Princess Mary's Ode to the Worst Gown of 1970 which she wore the other night. Never would have expected that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post

I admire Kate because she does not seem to need to go beyond "ordinary." She does her own makeup, and her own hair, and her own shopping. And while that means she is no glamour queen, it also means she's not a narcissist about her appearances.

(..)
Old 05-31-2012, 12:51 PM
Nobility

The Kate Middleton Look Book -- The Cut

So a HUGE thanks to Mystiblue for this. I love this lookbook because I remember so much of it. It goes all the way back to 2005 when she first appeared. There are even a couple pictures I haven't seen (which is saying something)! I am way too excited about this but here you go. click to begin the slideshow. It starts with her most recent appearance and goes back. YAY!!!
Old 05-31-2012, 02:22 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Two hats worn by the Duchess of Cambridge tipped to fetch 1,500 at auction... though experts say estimate could be smashed as Kate fans clamour for Royal souvenir

Quote:
Over the last year she has become the nation’s favourite style-setter. But before her marriage to Prince William, the Duchess of Cambridge used to hire her hats. News of the then Kate Middleton’s thrifty ways emerged yesterday as two stylish hats worn by her were put up for auction. The first was a black and white disc-shaped Philip Somerville creation made out of straw, with a woven horsehair brim and feather plumes, that she wore to great affect when her boyfriend joined the Order of the Garter at Windsor in June 2008.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm 27, so when people say Kate's wardrobe is matronly, I ask myself would I or my friends wear what she's wearing. 90% of the time the answer is yes. I would've happily worn that pink dress from the garden party at a wedding, or something similar. One of the few times I've thought that I wouldn't wear what Kate's wearing was when she and William visited St Andrews. To me, that outfit was too old for her.

Kate must be the only woman capable of being criticised for being matronly, and yet also get criticised for having what people describe as too-short hemlines and plunging necklines.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:07 PM
Heir Apparent

EIIR, I'm sure you'd have looked beautiful in Kate's pink dress and would have accessorized it nicely with a lovely scarf or piece of jewelry. I personally liked the dress, but I felt it aged her a bit. I think if any one of us wore it, though, we would have personalized it to our own tastes and maybe given it a different spin on the look. And, actually, I loved the red suit on her at St. Andrews; she's so suited to bright colors.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Excuse me. ! You see two ladies side by side and it is mean to say "gosh, but Mary and Kate could be the same age".

You are the person who was fairly descriptive as to how you view Kate and Mary. Now, your description of Kate was horrible.
I'm sorry I ruffled your feathers, but the fact remains that Kate does not have good skin and it ages her.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

I also have to laugh at Kate being described as too matronly and then on her next outfit her skirt is too short. I also agree that 85% of the things Kate wears I would also wear as well, including the recent pink dress. Most of what she wears is far from matronly, but she is never going to he Victoria Beckham with her style because she never gave much thought to fashion when she wasn't royalty.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Closed Thread