The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 11:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine
I am amazed at how worked up peopke can get over what is really just a dress and a hat. It was appropriate for the occassion. As long as nothing was showing that shouldn't be I think appropriate is all that should be asked for.
I agree with you, and I thought she looked lovely. One thought: yes, she just wore the dress two weeks ago. Perhaps she didn't realize the extent to which the photos from inside Windsor Castle would be circulated and thought it would be safe to wear the dress again at a more public function without people noticing so much.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:00 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I am amazed at how worked up peopke can get over what is really just a dress and a hat. It was appropriate for the occassion. As long as nothing was showing that shouldn't be I think appropriate is all that should be asked for.
Yes, yes, but that would spoil all our fun.

She looked very nice, appropriately dressed and looked like she enjoyed herself.

I think that the hat, although nice, was too flimsy for the dress, which was heavy. But I am nitpicking here. I think it marvelous that she is down-to-earth in that she will wear the same thing twice, she has no problem wearing something she really likes twice in a row.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:12 AM
Heir Apparent

I like the color, but the dress could have used a necklace or some other small piece of jewelry.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think her outfit is nice. Its not draw dropping but nice and tasteful.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:33 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
Another sugary plain jane outfit and it looks like she's got a tea doily stuck underneath her hat. But as I have said time and time again if this is the way Kate wants to dress then it's up to her. SHE has never said she wants to be a fashion plate it is sections of the media who want her to be. Some reports on what she wears are hilarious IMO as the comparisons to "The Emperors New Clothes" are uncanny. I sometimes feel like the child from the story wanting to shout, " But my 70 year old granny wears the same dress" when some journalists are raving about how stylish she is, ha, ha!
Oh you are awful! But you called it right . . . that really is one ugly, insipid coloured hat perched on what is (as a few have so rightly pointed out) great grandma's crocheted coasters!

I liked the clean, fresh lines of the dress but the hat just doesn't match it in either style or form. As to recycling, well that is a good thing but not two engagements in a row. She has a whole summer wardrobe from her Canadian tour so I don't know why we got an action replay. Lack of imagination perhaps? Maybe she could take a few hints from Sophie's style.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:03 AM
Courtier

Kate looked absolutely lovely and this pale shade of pink really does suite her. I was not sure if I liked this dress when I first saw it, however Kate has dressed it up beautifully with the perfect hat to give a simple yet very elegant look. Definitely one of the BEST dressed ladies there!
Old 05-30-2012, 07:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Without Kate the diamond jubilee days should have been boring.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

The pink is the perfect colour to take tea in the English summer. The hat is a tad fussy, but given the simplicity of the dress, a hat with a bit of a dramatic flair was necessary. I think perhaps hats is one of the aspects of her wardrobe where Kate might choose to take a few more risks, while leaving the rest of her appearance quite conservative.

I have no problem with her recycling whatsoever. Even the Queen has started to repeat outfits very quickly, and Camilla does so also.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:36 AM
Serene Highness

I think Kate is working very hard not to draw attention to herself, especially over these jubilee events. expect to see more repeat dresses over the next week, probably a few from last summers Canadian tour. The red Catherine Walker coat and dress, the royal blue lace yoke Erdem dress, the gray silk Roksanda Ilinic she wore when she landed in LA could all be appropriate.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
The Royal Garden Party today - same dress as Lunch with Monarchs plus a hat! Typical DM - damning with faint praise

Thrifty Kate gets her money's worth out of £1,200 designer dress as she recycles Jubilee dress for Palace garden party | Mail Online
I love the whole ensemble! Kate looks fantastic!
Old 05-30-2012, 10:20 AM
Courtier

Although it is a pretty shade I didn't like the dress when she wore it to the Jubilee lunch and I still don't like it.

I don't want her to be a dolly bird or a model but, ye Gods, her choices, IMO, make her seem far older than she is. Is this really how young women of 30 years old in her circle dress. ?

I thought that the hat looked ridiculous.

Good to see her recycling though.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Was surprised to see Kate wear this pink dress again - not because she only wore it a few weeks ago but more cause to me it looks quite heavy and a warm outfit and the weather this past week or so in the UK has been hot. I would have prefered the Duchess repeating one of her many Canadian tour outfits which are more suited to the summer garden party

Old 05-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
Was surprised to see Kate wear this pink dress again - not because she only wore it a few weeks ago but more cause to me it looks quite heavy and a warm outfit and the weather this past week or so in the UK has been hot. I would have prefered the Duchess repeating one of her many Canadian tour outfits which are more suited to the summer garden party
I suspect we will see some of the outfits from the Canadian tour in the coming months. I suspect she will need quite warm clothes for the coming weekend as it is meant to be a max 12 degrees on Saturday!
Old 05-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Heir Apparent

It s strange To see her with the same dress within two weeks...but the dress is really lovely, a bit too formal but lovely...,
Old 05-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Courtier

Hmm, don't know I still dislike the skirt of this dress. Though it definitely looks better this time with the hat.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:05 PM
Majesty

the hat is beautiful! i think it's a nice match to the dress, which i liked the first time during the luncheon. very appropriate.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 05-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breffney View Post

I don't want her to be a dolly bird or a model but, ye Gods, her choices, IMO, make her seem far older than she is. Is this really how young women of 30 years old in her circle dress. ?
Probably not, but then again none of Kate's 30 year old friends are future queens performing public duties with their husband's family which includes the reigning sovereign and her heir. Her friends can wear whatever they want, Kate doesn't have that freedom.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

I like the dress, it's not my favourite but it isn't a disaster, a very elegant and appropriate dress. It's wonderful to see her recycling and I really liked the hat.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Probably not, but then again none of Kate's 30 year old friends are future queens performing public duties with their husband's family which includes the reigning sovereign and her heir. Her friends can wear whatever they want, Kate doesn't have that freedom.
I quite agree EIIR with what you say here. Most 30 year old women and men I know (including me and I'm 40) dress like teenagers trying to prove something - what that something is is anyone's guess but it is likely to be something along the lines of trying to look like celebrities. Catherine on the other hand is ROYAL and a FUTURE QUEEN and both of these situations require her to wear a certain standard of dress sadly lacking elsewhere in our society......and my wardrobe.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:58 PM
Majesty

If we go back a generation, Kate's would-have-been mother-in-law was also criticized for dressing older than her age. She was also 10 years younger than Kate. However, the wardrobe worked for her. I think that Kate's presenting an image of a mature, serious, professional 30-year-old who doesn't want to attract more attention than those higher-up the pecking order. The fact is, she could wear a shroud to public events and look young and glamorous next to the Duchess of Cornwall and The Queen. When she's alone or with William--as she was when she wore the long teal dress--she can ramp it up as much as she likes.

Closed Thread