The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 7: March 2012 - April 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Take a look at this picture; hardly a dignified look for a Princess, isn't it?
Let's agree to disagree. I'm not criticizing Kate's look. She is, in fact, one of those ladies whose style I genuinely like, even though she is good ten years older than me. Had Kate been a plain Mrs. Cambridge, I would say go for a shorter skirt to show those toned and brilliant legs! It is because I like Kate and her style that this particular dress is somewhat unfortunate.

What's not dignified about it? She's sitting demurely with her knees together, not showing anything she shouldn't. Even if the skirt was an inch longer, we'd still have had the same view.

So Kate should change her style because some people are so small minded and petty as to get up in arms over her showing a bit of thigh? At no point did Kate look vulgar, nor could you see her underwear.

Seriously, did I go to sleep last night and wake up in the 1950s?!?!

I think we went all the way back to the Victorian Era

What's not dignified about it? She's sitting demurely with her knees together, not showing anything she shouldn't. Even if the skirt was an inch longer, we'd still have had the same view.

Letizia and Victoria also wear the same length and sometime shorter than Catherine, but I don't see the same complained when it comes to them. It truly fascinating.

Letizia and Victoria also wear the same length and sometime shorter than Catherine, but I don't see the same complained when it comes to them. It truly fascinating.
I suggest you visit their threads; you'll find more than enough complains about the lengths of their skirts and/or dresses.

As I said, let's agree to disagree. At least, we both appear to genuinely admire the Duchess of Cambridge and her style. :)

I disagree. There is visibility where there shouldn't be. I'm sure the skirt was lined, so no liner was necessary, but I can see her underwear and I should not be able to see her underwear. As I've said before, we (and she) know what the photogs are like, so it is up to Kate to protect herself from this kind of photograph. Either start wearing underwear that matches the outfit or black, so that there isn't such a view, or don't sit down.

Still love the outfit, tho.

Take a look at the skirt in this picture:

Lady Gretton Curtseys To Catherine Duchess Of Cambridge As

The hem is touching Kate's knees. If that's too short then she's going to have to stick to skirts that hit below the knee/mid-calf, which is very limiting and will no doubt lead to more people saying she's boring, dressing too old, too conservative etc. etc.

I attended a strict, all girls grammar school. If Kate had turned up in a skirt that length it would have been considered long.

It's ironic, yesterday was International Women's Day, and we're debating whether a skirt that touches the wearer's knees is too short. Seems we haven't moved on as far as we thought.

Moving ahead was never about skirt lengths. There are those of us who struggled to open the door for younger generations of women so they could "have it all." Skirt length as a measure of women's success is quite an absurdity.

I love her suit, tho.

Last edited:
I think her outfit was fabulous. But I agree with those who say it is too short. She should really wear her skirts an inch longer, at least when she is on official duty, to avoid situations like these.

You could see her underwear?

Well, these pictures dont look good. Given these events are often meticulously planned and it would be wise to chose a different outfit when having to sit down or having to climb out of the for-the-Queen-designed State Bentley.
Its clearly an uncomfortable position to be in for Kate, and its not to be expected that photographers will put down their cameras the next occasion Kate gives to opportunity for some nice views.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/03/08/article-2112023-12150649000005DC-500_470x583.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/03/08/article-2112023-1215A5A5000005DC-454_470x804.jpg

Kate's daring hemline: Duchess of Cambridge shines in short skirt as she joins the Queen on first day of Diamond Jubilee tour
Middleton and Queen board train for 1st day of Diamond Jubilee tour | Mail Online

Lovely pictures for Kate and Elizabeth... I liked her outfit..

Sorry, but I think "the underwear" is in the eye of the beholder ... whether one thinks the skirt is too short or just fine, my 20/20 eyes see no underwear.

In actuality, I have seen HM sitting (at the Braemar games) with her knees not quite together which made me a tad uncomfortable. Whether it was "angle" or "respect" by the photographers no harm was done however there was definitely an opportunity there for those who wanted to take advantage of it.

In the style of a royal spokesperson:
With regard to mention of HRH The Duchess of Cambridge's undergarments in conjuction with a recently published photograph, I can confirm that HRH's handbag has cast a shadow on HRH's lap.
I do so hope that that will be the last time I need mention the foundation garments of a future Queen, unless, of course, there is a specific thread on TRF entitled "royals and their knickers", which I hope there is not.

Oh, now you're going to make us go back and reinspect the photo for "Knickergate"! :D

Shadows are grey...I see white or cream. Who is the eagle eye who confirmed this? My last query on this matter, BTW.

Last edited:
Skirt is not sooo short. When she stands it is ok. It might look shorter under special angle but for me it is not a drama. She is young and has beautiful leggs.
As for the underwear it is imossible to bee seen as she wears tights which cover!

:ermm:Oh dear, what have I done!? I clicked on the photo of Kate to enlarge the image and with my eagle eye, I could see that her handbag is positioned like a bridge across her legs and partly covers her skirt at the hem. The skirt follows the shape of Kate's legs. Beyond the handbag towards Kate's waist the rest of the skirt can be seen through the bridge of the handbag so to speak.
If, however, Kitty is correct, then we must be thankful Kate was not wearing Directoires! Hmm, I've talked about underwear again :whistling:

Beating a dying horse here...for me, it's not the length of the skirt that's at issue. It's a fine length, a couple inches above the knee, nothing shocking. It's the tightness of the cut, which leaves absolutely no excess fabric when she has to bend, sit or stoop. Kate is limiting her own ability to move around freely by wearing such a tight skirt. Yes, it's pretty. Yes it shows her legs off. Yes it's a smart suit. But a princess -- and future queen -- really does, even in the 21st century -- need to comport herself with a certain amount of dignity. I'm not saying she has to wear a burka. I'm saying that as a senior royal, representative of her country, and role model to little girls everywhere, Kate should take great care with how she presents herself.

dazzling said:
March 8, 2012 - Kate in a dark teal outfit matched with a black hat & heels

Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

SOB!
She looks fantastic! Chic, professional and beautiful. Haven't been this blown away since Canada.
I think she looks wonderful and dignified. I think some of us should just get used to the fact that certain people on this board think an above the knee skirt is "too short". It's useless to try to convince them differently; I just write it off as an age thing.

Last edited:
Duchess Of Cambridge Look Amazing and Really Wonderful in this event as always , Thank you all for Posting

Skirt is not sooo short. When she stands it is ok. It might look shorter under special angle but for me it is not a drama. She is young and has beautiful leggs.
As for the underwear it is imossible to bee seen as she wears tights which cover!

amen...she looks wonderfull

Well, these pictures dont look good. Given these events are often meticulously planned and it would be wise to chose a different outfit when having to sit down or having to climb out of the for-the-Queen-designed State Bentley.
Its clearly an uncomfortable position to be in for Kate, and its not to be expected that photographers will put down their cameras the next occasion Kate gives to opportunity for some nice views.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/03/08/article-2112023-12150649000005DC-500_470x583.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/03/08/article-2112023-1215A5A5000005DC-454_470x804.jpg

I agree-these photos show how "dangerous" can be too short skirt... 10 cm more would do a miracle...

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone inform me. Doesn't England have tall Miss clothing available ?

Negative opinions over Kate's thigh-high mishap have nothing to do with an age thing, since I'm of the belief if you've got a great figure you should flaunt it and I have no problem with an above-the-knee hemline - and I'm on the dark side of 30. However, I'm also not a royal Duchess and the focal point of all eyes and wouldn't want my charms exposed and splashed across the world media, phenomenal figure or not. Kate is certainly entitled to wear what she likes in her private time, but when she's on official royal duty making public appearances she needs to rethink about the appropriate attire to wear for ease of comfort and movement, length of hemlines taking into account aforementioned activities, and how much of her figure it is necessary to display. Be that as it may, however, I also consider this is to be one of her best daytime fashions to date - sans overexposed skin - and she looks fantastic.

Last edited:
It's either age or an unabashed prudishness. As has been said too many times the freakin skirt was above the knee! Others have stated that other European Princesses have worn shorter skirts. I know I myself have seen Charlene wearing an upper thigh black skirt, which she actually looked fantastic in. Catherine's skirt rode up like all skirts do when she was getting out of a car and sitting down. When she got out of the car she should have pulled her skirt down to make sure too much wasn't showing. That was Kate's mistake. Elizabeth was wearing a below the knee skirt that rose to her knees when she was sitting; that's what skirts do. Kate was not showing too much because she made sure to keep her legs and knees securely closed from the prying eyes. I will never understand nor do I want to try to understand how a picture of a lady sitting with her knees locked but her outer lower thigh showing is somehow un-royal or undignified! It's hilarious how one day Kate dresses too old for her age, and the next a flash of thigh is shown when she is getting out of a car and she is unworthy to be called Her Royal Highness.
I guess it is just a good thing that some of the women on these boards do not dress the royal Princesses of Europe.

Last edited:
:previous:No one's saying she's a harlot, and I don't know where you're getting that from. That's a pretty nasty term to call someone. Those differing opinions from yours don't mean they stem from unabashed prudishness or age, either. And as far as other princesses' hemlines, we're not discussing them here since this is Kate's fashion thread. However, I'm sure some of the European princesses would do quite well being dressed by some of the members of these boards.

I'll stick to my opinion, and you're more than welcome to stick to yours since agreement is not necessary.

ETA - I see you edited your wording and have now substituted "Her Royal Highness." Again, there's no implication that Kate's unworthy to be called HRH because of her hemline.

Last edited:
That's not her underwear, it's actually the hem of her skirt.

Here's another photo, you can see the hem a little better in this one.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/03/08/article-2112023-12159312000005DC-545_964x1019.jpg

Beating a dying horse here...for me, it's not the length of the skirt that's at issue. It's a fine length, a couple inches above the knee, nothing shocking. It's the tightness of the cut, which leaves absolutely no excess fabric when she has to bend, sit or stoop. Kate is limiting her own ability to move around freely by wearing such a tight skirt. Yes, it's pretty. Yes it shows her legs off. Yes it's a smart suit. But a princess -- and future queen -- really does, even in the 21st century -- need to comport herself with a certain amount of dignity. I'm not saying she has to wear a burka. I'm saying that as a senior royal, representative of her country, and role model to little girls everywhere, Kate should take great care with how she presents herself.

Its uncomfortable to watch - after all, we've all been there as women, finding ourselves handling an outfit that is bearing too much or is too constricting. Dressing in this way makes the focus her body - which is fine if that's your goal, which it is for starlets and models and such. I have been trying to pinpoint what makes her an uneasy 'watch' and this may be part of it. While I am interested in the fashion - her body consciousness is a bit overt for someone like her. Makes me wonder.

The length is an issue for someone in her predicament - photographers. Look at that descent from that car - may as well have been coming down a ladder. :huh: She risks becoming something of a joke. She does have to exercise 'great care in how she presents herself'.

Negative opinions over Kate's thigh-high mishap have nothing to do with an age thing, since I'm of the belief if you've got a great figure you should flaunt it and I have no problem with an above-the-knee hemline - and I'm on the dark side of 30. However, I'm also not a royal Duchess and the focal point of all eyes and wouldn't want my charms exposed and splashed across the world media, phenomenal figure or not. Kate is certainly entitled to wear what she likes in her private time, but when she's on official royal duty making public appearances she needs to rethink about the appropriate attire to wear for ease of comfort and movement, length of hemlines taking into account aforementioned activities, and how much of her figure it is necessary to display. Be that as it may, however, I also consider this is to be one of her best daytime fashions to date - sans overexposed skin - and she looks fantastic.

You've made excellent points, Baroness of Books! She should not have anything to 'prove' regarding her desirability, her figure, etc. There should be no 'need' to excite 'the crowd' in that way.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but she's public figure, part of BRF and shouldn't let people to see her underwear. Kate can wear short skirt privately bit during official engagements should look more sophisticated. Photographers won't look for a sensational photos when she won't give them any reason. It's not the first time when poorly chosen clothes cause such a interest (remember yellow dress in Canada).
My advice is to ask the Queen for a phone to Angela Kelly, order few custom made suits and enjoy functions without the stress.

Let's move on from the underwear discussion please.
Further posts will be deleted.​

I liked the latest outfit, hat & shoes! The green especially suits her-

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom