The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 7: March 2012 - April 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the camp that thinks she looks lovely when standing straight up, but the minute she has to bend, climb out of a car, or sit, the skirt is too tight and shows too much. Catherine is going to have to think outside the "stand and pose" box from now on. There was one picture at the Daily Mail where I think I can see London, or is it France...

I'm assuming it is just me that saw this outfit in 3 colours - at St. Pancras it looked Green, at Leicester station it looked navy blue, then in later pictures it looked grey :ROFLMAO:

I really liked the outfit, although sadly I think there was an issue with the length of the skirt at the fashion show, although her clutch did well to make sure there were no unfortunate incidents!!

The skirt is just above knee length so I cannot see how that is too short. It would take a great deal of imagination to see "London or France". Its the 21st century not the Victorian age and she is a 30 year old woman with great legs not a grandmother.

Too conservative too british she needs something new...that is a ok suit...but she could do much better, more modern and up To date...but she looks good.

Too conservative too british she needs something new...that is a ok suit...but she could do much better, more modern and up To date...but she looks good.

I don't think a British royal can ever appear "too British" especially when undertaking an official engagement in the UK. She is British after all.

I am in the camp that thinks she looks lovely when standing straight up, but the minute she has to bend, climb out of a car, or sit, the skirt is too tight and shows too much. Catherine is going to have to think outside the "stand and pose" box from now on. There was one picture at the Daily Mail where I think I can see London, or is it France...
You have hit the nail on the head. It's not being a "hater" to say she is wearing her skirts too short for her engagements and it makes me laugh when people blame the photographer for the photos of her sitting down (wow did that clutch come in handy - not to self, must buy more of them), nor blame the Queen for the fact that the Bently is designed for her. Both of those shots were less than stellar!

As to the ensemble itself, I think the colour is lovely and very elegant. The peplum waist really emphasises her tiny waist and the pencil skirt flatters her legs. I am already on record as believing she should lower the heels when out with HM. William is tall enough for it not to matter.

I love her hairstyle. It works so well with her hat and, contrary to those that say that references to Air Hostesses is just a b****y snipe about her mother by "haters", I beg to differ. It's about style!

Many years ago our national airline had "Air Hostesses" whose uniform was very much the same as this ensemble only with a smaller peplum. Their hat was also not unlike Catherine's except for the flower/bow. There is nothing derogatory about noting such similarities, in fact those "Hosties" were admired for their style and elegance and they only recruited "the best".

Come to think of it, the style of updos those women wore were myriad. Catherine could do worse than reference those styles for later information.
I don't think a British royal can ever appear "too British" especially when undertaking an official engagement in the UK. She is British after all.
If a future Queen can't look "British" then I don't know who can!

Last edited:
Catherine should wear dress/skirts that hit right in the calf area so when she sit down it will be around the knee area. Does that sounds about right?

Catherine should wear dress/skirts that hit right in the calf area so when she sit down it will be around the knee area. Does that sounds about right?

LOL, perhaps a burqha just to be sure everything is fully covered at all times. A glimpse of stocking can be quite shocking don't you know.

:previous: we scoff now - but I think that is exactly the advice Diana was given during her first years of marriage and royal outings. and the long skirts just made her look matronly.

I think Kate looked great and she is making her way and will make practical adjustments as she goes

I think Catherine looked fabulous. The outfit was chic and sophisticated, and the hat added a nice touch. I like the shade of teal too. Overall, lovely.

I think when she goes full-time she should consider a stylist to help her out at least get a good base of clothes which she could then add to, a makeup artist and a good repitoire of ways to style her hair. :flowers:

I don't see why she needs a stylist (personally I think they should on;ly be used as an emergency measure, by people with terrible taste)!:ROFLMAO:
Because using a stylist will ensure that the clothes really don't reflect the wearer's personality.

I don't see why she needs a stylist (personally I think they should on;ly be used as an emergency measure, by people with terrible taste)!:ROFLMAO:
Because using a stylist will ensure that the clothes really don't reflect the wearer's personality.

Depends on the stylist :) I feel like say, Angela Kelly has done a tremendous job defining the Queen's style and making it reflect her personality and her role incredibly well.

Depends on the stylist :) I feel like say, Angela Kelly has done a tremendous job defining the Queen's style and making it reflect her personality and her role incredibly well.

HRHHermione, I agree. However, Kate does have a shopper (I'm not saying a stylist) according to the Duchess Kate website. I believe this because her style and dress has changed. I know changing her style is required for new role and status, but she has a level of sophistication that she did not before and it shows. I believe she is getting advise and input form someone. Who that is I don't know and we might not ever know until she is a queen consort.

That isn't true imo. A good stylist will work with their client, find out their likes dislikes and help them find the right balance. Once she becomes full-time her current wardrobe will not be able to carry her thru all the engagements she will have. Catherine needs to add to her wardrobe a serious amount of good well tailored staples such as pants, skirts, blouses, sweater, jackets, etc...

I believe Crown Princess Mary has a stylist and I don't believe for one minute that Mary walks around in anything she isn't comfortable in and wouldn't buy nor that she is a person with horrible taste. It gives Mary a chance to have a second opinion, someone to source pieces for her she might not be able to find.

All in all Catherine is doing a really good job but this is only for sporatic engagements. Once she has a full schedule imo she will need help.

Today's outfit definitely shows a level of sophistication that we haven't seen up to now, and Kate's style is slowly evolving from perhaps a combination of advice and a new-found confidence in trying new fashion. If she proceeds along this path, I think she'll really be delighting us with new colors and styles.

I think that the Duchess looked elegant today but there are limitations in buying clothes from the high street and one of them is length of the skirt.
On someone who is 5'10 most off the peg clothes will be short.

When she bought day clothes for the Canada trip, the ones where length was not an issue were not high street brands but high end/designer wear.

Other royals have never done the "high street" but the Duchess is getting a lot of credit (quite rightly I think) for promoting it especially in difficult economic times.

But I agree with the posts that say she is going to have to make changes but I think that will be when the role is full time - possibly not until 2016 if Prince William continues in the military.

:previous: we scoff now - but I think that is exactly the advice Diana was given during her first years of marriage and royal outings. and the long skirts just made her look matronly.

I think Kate looked great and she is making her way and will make practical adjustments as she goes

During Diana's tenure, except for the last years, skirts were already at mid calf length. I think Catherine looks great but it may be that she may decide to go with a skirt that is not quite so straight so that she has a bit more "wiggle" room. :) At least there are things out there now with a bit more skirt so that she shouldn't end up looking like someone's grandmother.

I think she looked lovely and chic! Yes, the skirt might be a tad too short again, but I don't mind it too much. Kate's hat is also cute and the loose hair goes well with it, IMO.

:previous: I love your avatar! Who is that?

I think someone (can't remember who at the moment) made a really good point that with Kate buying off the rack, she needs to take into consideration that while her size might be good for off the rack clothing, her height puts her at a disadvantage in terms of length.

Personally I don't think the dress was that short but as evidenced by her trying to exit the car, it probably wouldn't hurt to add a couple of inches to her dresses. And really, you can't do that off the rack. Its liek if you are a little hippy, you want to purchase a 14W for example, but you are short, so it hangs off your lengthwise but you can't do a Petitie size because it takes into consideration your height and not your width!

:previous: I love your avatar! Who is that?

I'm glad you like it. :) It's Princess Marianne zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn.

I think someone (can't remember who at the moment) made a really good point that with Kate buying off the rack, she needs to take into consideration that while her size might be good for off the rack clothing, her height puts her at a disadvantage in terms of length.

Personally I don't think the dress was that short but as evidenced by her trying to exit the car, it probably wouldn't hurt to add a couple of inches to her dresses. And really, you can't do that off the rack. Its liek if you are a little hippy, you want to purchase a 14W for example, but you are short, so it hangs off your lengthwise but you can't do a Petitie size because it takes into consideration your height and not your width!

That's a good point indeed. I had similar thoughts in mind when I saw the first pictures. Kate is a tall woman with long (and great) legs. It is possible that some of her outfits wouldn't seem "too short" on a petite lady, like for example Princess Marie of Denmark. I think Kate can show her legs, I have no problem with it, but I do think that her skirts could be a bit longer as she must be extra-careful when she exits cars or bends forward while talking to children. Some of her poses yesterday appeared to be awkward as she seemed aware that the wrong move or pose would probably offer a bit too much of her legs or other things. It would be easy to avoid this, adding a few inches to her skirts would make it only more comfortable for her. I think she will notice that in time.

Last edited:
It's not being a "hater" to say she is wearing her skirts too short for her engagements and it makes me laugh when people blame the photographer for the photos of her sitting down (wow did that clutch come in handy - not to self, must buy more of them), nor blame the Queen for the fact that the Bently is designed for her. Both of those shots were less than stellar!

I love her hairstyle. It works so well with her hat and, contrary to those that say that references to Air Hostesses is just a b****y snipe about her mother by "haters", I beg to differ. It's about style! Many years ago our national airline had "Air Hostesses" whose uniform was very much the same as this ensemble only with a smaller peplum. Their hat was also not unlike Catherine's except for the flower/bow. There is nothing derogatory about noting such similarities, in fact those "Hosties" were admired for their style and elegance and they only recruited "the best".

Thanks for pointing this out, MARG :flowers:

Footwear fit for a princess: Talented fashion student wins competition to design shoes for the Duchess of Cambridge
Fashion student Becka Hunt to design shoes for Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton | Mail Online

Not keen on this shoe being worn by any royal lady ...

I think that the Duchess looked elegant today but there are limitations in buying clothes from the high street and one of them is length of the skirt.
On someone who is 5'10 most off the peg clothes will be short.
I have two nieces who are 5'9" and 5'11" respectively. When they both buy the same dress one looks great and everyone comments on how much leg the other is showing. The eldest has "legs that go all the way up" which is what Catherine has and she has the same problem. Skirts are uncomfortably short and so she finds it more comfortable when she has something specially made whereas her shorter cousin doesn't have that problem at all.

I think with time Catherine will be getting her clothes custom made. Now whether that is couture or special edition High Street is anyone's guess but I think either would be more than happy to accommodate Catherine's needs.

I think I would prefer it if Catherine had her clothes made "in-house" so to speak, like the Queen does. I'm not sure if this would be more expensive than buying high-street fashions, but I guess there can't be much in it if you buy wholesale material. Either that, or the high-street clothes could be adjusted to fit not only the Duchesses height, but her very slim figure. As lovely as Catherine's legs are, seeing at least 3/4 of them getting out of the car behind the very well-covered Queen, certainly broadened the generation gap!

On another matter, has Catherine ever worn trousers (as opposed to jeans)? I wonder what a trouser-suit would look like on her?

If a skirt that's about an inch above the knee is too short, then she won't be able to wear the vast majority of skirts/dresses on sale in the UK today. If I wore that skirt to work no-one would bat an eyelid.

Skirts of all lengths have a tendency to ride up somewhat based on what the wearer is doing.

Case in point

When you see the way the Queen clambers out of the State Bentley, even though it was made specifically for her, anyone wearing even the most conservative short skirt is going to show some leg.

Queen climbs out of State Bentley

The only way to negate that would be to wear skirts the same length as the Queen, and given Kate is not an 86 year old lady, I think that would be unfair.

Well, these pictures dont look good. Given these events are often meticulously planned and it would be wise to chose a different outfit when having to sit down or having to climb out of the for-the-Queen-designed State Bentley.
Its clearly an uncomfortable position to be in for Kate, and its not to be expected that photographers will put down their cameras the next occasion Kate gives to opportunity for some nice views.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/03/08/article-2112023-12150649000005DC-500_470x583.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/03/08/article-2112023-1215A5A5000005DC-454_470x804.jpg

Kate's daring hemline: Duchess of Cambridge shines in short skirt as she joins the Queen on first day of Diamond Jubilee tour
Middleton and Queen board train for 1st day of Diamond Jubilee tour | Mail Online

Last edited by a moderator:
So Kate should change her style because some people are so small minded and petty as to get up in arms over her showing a bit of thigh? At no point did Kate look vulgar, nor could you see her underwear.

Seriously, did I go to sleep last night and wake up in the 1950s?!?!

:previous:
With respect, people can and do have different opinions.
No one asked Kate to dress like a Stepford Wife. Nevertheless, some, including me, did think the skirt was just a little too short. True, it wasn't vulgar and there were no unfortunate pictures (which may also be due to photographers' discretion, however unbelievable that may sound); however, the point is, if Kate wears an equally short skirt, it may lead to some unpleasant incidents.

Kate is not an average person; most of us can wear mini skirts whole day and no one will mind. However, none of us are surrounded by dozens of photographers on every public or private outing.

Take a look at the skirt in this picture:

Lady Gretton Curtseys To Catherine Duchess Of Cambridge As

The hem is touching Kate's knees. If that's too short then she's going to have to stick to skirts that hit below the knee/mid-calf, which is very limiting and will no doubt lead to more people saying she's boring, dressing too old, too conservative etc. etc.

I attended a strict, all girls grammar school. If Kate had turned up in a skirt that length it would have been considered long.

It's ironic, yesterday was International Women's Day, and we're debating whether a skirt that touches the wearer's knees is too short. Seems we haven't moved on as far as we thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom