The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 7: March 2012 - April 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She has looked great the last 2 engagements and yes she clearly has been online on this forum reading our helpful comments re the eyeliner situation and our advice has had a positive effect. At least that is how I like to view it so well done Cathy you look much better .. now about the hair .....

I never got the "insert famous woman her" read this forum "every forum claim this" and are taken commenter advice

I think saying someone looks 'waxy' and 'doll-like' is not far off. If you don't think there's been any attacking here then I can only assume you haven't spent much time on this thread. Kate's been compared to a clown, a panda, she's been called trashy, vulgar, cheap and ridiculous. That's before we get to the posters who believe that it's Kate's fault that photographers try to take pictures up her skirt.

I think she looks lovely. What I DON'T understand is that Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie ALL wear heavy eye makeup and yet for some reason do not come in for the same criticism as Catherine. It's a puzzle, have to wonder just why that is. :whistling:

I think she looks lovely. What I DON'T understand is that Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie ALL wear heavy eye makeup and yet for some reason do not come in for the same criticism as Catherine. It's a puzzle, have to wonder just why that is. :whistling:

That's a good point, Kate gets criticized for things that other royal ladies do as well yet they get no comment. I have seen Maxima, Mary, and Letizia wear either eyeliner or skirts shorter than Kate's yet it is the latter who gets the snarky comments.
As for the criticisms Kate gets for her hair; at this point I am just tired of hearing them. It's the same thing all the time usually from the same people. I have short hair, but I don't feel the need to make Kate my imaginary barbie doll; possibly because I get my hair fix through Kim and Khloe Kardashian.

Last edited:
She certainly didn't seem to wear lighter makeup just days earlier, on March 15 event.
The contrast is quite startling. It opens her eyes and makes her look so much more natural

Duchess Kate: St. Paddy's Day Parade! | duchess kate saint patricks day 06 - Photo Gallery | Just Jared

She also seems to have a lighter hand with the blush. It's all good.

. . . . .What we all have to remember is that unlike Mary, Maxima, Letizia etc. Kate is doing her own make up . . . . .
Can you give a reference for the above not doing their own makeup?

Last edited:
The contrast is quite startling. It opens her eyes and makes her look so much more natural

Duchess Kate: St. Paddy's Day Parade! | duchess kate saint patricks day 06 - Photo Gallery | Just Jared

The contrast that Marg points out (thank you, Marg) is why I believe that she does use a makeup artist for certain events. Her appearance at the National Portrait Gallery in February and the Military Awards in December also showed a much more refined makeup job IMO....her base makeup is a tad lighter and more diffused-looking as well as more professional, blended eye makeup and completely different blush tone and application. However, I don't have a problem with how she wears her makeup anyway (anymore, that is, I've given up on her changing the heavy eyeliner as it IS her prerogative); it just looks quite different to me at some events than others.

Princess Mary's personal stylist has been mentioned on numerous ocassions. Anja Camilla Alajdi

Princess Mary's twins meet siblings | thetelegraph.com.au (quoted after the birth of the twins near bottom)

and one of her favorite makeup artists

Princess Mary's beauty secrets: make-up tips

The other Cp's I haven't found any specific mention of any of them having a stylist, peronal makeup artist or hairdresser.

CP Letizia also uses a professional make-up artist, the same she used when she was at the TV.

About the other CP I do not know.

Kate wore a lovely blue dress with black belt, matching clutch and court shoes for opening a children's hospice in Ipswich today.
Her hair was styled in typical Kate fashion; loose, natural looking curls. The makeup was again a bit too heavy for my taste.

According to Daily Mail, Kate borrowed the dress from her mother who had worn the same dress for Ascot 2010. The dress does look similar, but not necessarily the same; I think there is some difference, especially in the collar. Then again, why not borrow a dress from your mother if you like it and its appropriate for the occasion?

One of our members, Andrew Goodchild, shared that Royal Blue is the colour of Ipswich local sports teams, so it's a nice gesture Kate chose that particular colour.

Last edited:
I'm still in love with royal blue for dresses and tops at the moment, so I could never say anything bad about this dress. It looks really pretty and it has a color that suits Kate well, IMO.

I heard the dress is by Reiss and I've also read it several times that it's her mother's dress. That's a bit weird if true.

I wish Kate would play a bit more when it comes to accessories. Basically she's almost always wearing the same shoes, the same hairstyle and make up style over and over again. Only the dresses vary, but not that much either.

I'm not in love with the dress, but I think her face and hair look lovely. She must be a great actress or the most self assured woman in the world because she doesn't look a bit nervous.

Odd that she's wearing the same dress as her mother. It looks fine on Catherine.

On Twitter, some of the royal correspondents are saying that Carole borrowed the dress from Kate, not the other way around.

There is nothing wrong with wearing her mother's dress, both women have the same figure. I find it a bit big on both women, not very well fitted. Love the colour.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/03/19/article-2117068-123C5498000005DC-865_310x929.jpg

Well the hair, what bothers me most about it when hanging down is either covering up jewellery or applications (not this time) or making a very bad posture, when it hangs down in front making Kate look like slouching along (today)
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/03/19/article-2117068-123C51E3000005DC-38_470x928.jpg

Kate looks really classy in both the green and blue dresses. The sophisticated style really suits her.

I love that blue and also the wider belt; it looks so much better than the narrow ones. Style seems somewhat dowdy, though, but I'm so glad to see Kate in a jewel tone and she looked very elegant today. I think she also wore her diamond and sapphire earrings, too, but I don't recognize her bracelet. Now that we know she can accessorize nicely, maybe she can start varying her look with two-toned shoes and clutch.

Last edited:
I liked today's outfit. I was glad to see that the skirt was a bit longer than the grey dress she wore to Dulwich the other day. I thought the grey could have been just a tad longer given the fullness of the skirt. I remember reading something by a style expert that said the fuller the skirt the longer the length should be. A full skirt should ideally be just below the knee or mid calf while a narrow skirt could be from the middle of the knee to just above the knee depending on the age of the wearer and the occaission.

JMO, but I think mid-calf length looks terrible on anyone!:eek:
It's almost guaranteed to make a woman look dowdy and middle-aged.

(Yes,I do believe Sarah Chatto looked frumpy at the royal wedding).

Very classic, very formal, very British again... she never fails wearing these dresses...people can like or dislike but she's always appropriate:flowers:

Agree with Duke that the dress is ill-fitting. The back is terribly gathered at the waist. I do like the color and the way that brings out her sapphire statement jewelry, and the length is good too.

Nice color, but dress is old-fashioned, too big and ages Kate. I was hoping that eye-liner gone forever, unfortunately I was wrong.

I think Catherine looks lovely, sophisticated, elegant and classy. I love shades of blue on her. The belt adds good contrast to the outfit too.

Kate gets much more attention from a much more diverse audience than the other royal women mentioned. Beatrice and Eugenie *have* had their makeup criticized rather broadly.

But Kate gets more of it for another reason. Her overall clothing style is fairly traditional and conservative (skirt length not withstanding, her color and fabric and style choices are not avant garde). Therefore, not only does one expect makeup that goes with that style, but, in contrast to her clothes, the makeup pulls more attention.

I do think she's got a longterm problem of deciding whether to make herself up (and style her hair) for close ups, medium shots, or for the crowds. She almost can't win.

That is one deadly boring dress. It's completely shapeless and well.. better suited for her mother. Pump it up girlfriend, you can do better.

I think saying someone looks 'waxy' and 'doll-like' is not far off. If you don't think there's been any attacking here then I can only assume you haven't spent much time on this thread. Kate's been compared to a clown, a panda, she's been called trashy, vulgar, cheap and ridiculous. That's before we get to the posters who believe that it's Kate's fault that photographers try to take pictures up her skirt.

This is sooooooo comical. Some of us "attack" how Kate (a complete stranger) looks and then you attack some of us (complete strangers, again) who are only thinking outloud. Are you Kate's cousin or something. You take it so personally. If you are related to Kate (or a friend of hers), please pass on our constructive criticisms to her.

BTW, she has been quite glam this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom