The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 6: December 2011 - March 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if she is trying to dress this way so that the media and people can't say she is too over dressed or her outfits are too expensive. I think her outfits have been simple and subdued. Hardly any color and very minimal. Maybe for a reason? Maybe so the focus is not on her so much? If that makes sense.

Well the dress was in the sale, I think this is her only outfit that has been. As for not talking about it, the majority of news stories are running with headlines about her clothes. Twitter is full of people praising what Kate wore and not what she did today. Take this thread for instance, almost 3 pages of comments on one outfit and her current events thread has just over a page and a half. Catherine can be minimal, spend little and still wear bright colours - ordinary people everyday manage so if she wanted Catherine could as well. Catherine is a public figure, she needs to be seen. Blacks, browns, dark reds are just going to blend in

:snore: So let's add up the complaints now.
Hair is always down
The always constant "don't like her dress"
Make up
Looks skinny
And now the new "she shouldn't wear dark colors"

I wonder what the next round of "If Kate were my Barbie doll" will bring us.
I have shoes like what Kate wore; I am actually happy to see something different on her feet besides the black heels. When I first saw the dress I thought it was ugly, but I admit it is growing on me though it is still not my favorite look of hers. I haven't seen many pictures, but some have said her dress flew up again....why hasn't she been putting weights in them?

I wonder if she is trying to dress this way so that the media and people can't say she is too over dressed or her outfits are too expensive. I think her outfits have been simple and subdued. Hardly any color and very minimal. Maybe for a reason? Maybe so the focus is not on her so much? If that makes sense.
But that is the problem. The focus is on her. No one would be there at that time and in that place if they had not come to see Catherine. And if they came to see Catherine they would have had a hard time unless she was close up as neutrals fade into the background.

Catherine can dress "fashionably" when she is not "on duty" but when she is she is there to be seen. She is the centre of attention and that is why she is there. She is raising the awareness of her patronage and so people come to see her!

IMO her dress was too short and flying skirts are never in style. As to her overall "look"? She looks like a little brown wren.

Ok I've seen more pictures of today's outfit and it is still growing on me the more I see it. I think it is a cute look, still not her best but definitely not bad to look at. I also think the shoes give it a unique touch and make the look less boring.

She should have learned from the Canada scenario, the dress flying around is not a good thing at all, let alone such a short dress.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...21_306x557.jpg

Is that as high as her dress got? If so does it not flying higher mean she did have some kind of weights in it?

Last edited:
The dress is nice but not one of her best looks - i do like the fact she continues to stick to what she knows and likes by using affordable clothing.

Was never a fan of the those ankle boots from the first engagement. Personally i prefer the classic elegant court shoe combination.

On this occassion her hair would have been better caught back - it was a windy day and she was working lots with kids

Apart from looking cheap, this dress-coat looks sooo conservative and 50's... Not my cup of tea.

I don't think the dress looks cheap. Actually, to me, it is one of the better inexpensive items she has worn.

I understand younger women liking the shooties. I like shooties, too, with trousers. The look when worn with skirts/dresses is somewhat tawdry. Kate is not a girl any longer. She is a woman with an important job. I just wish she would dress like one.

Be aware that Kate is not the only royal female who needs to stop wearing girl's clothing, especially the short skirts. I'm not talking BRF, but Maxima, Victoria, etc.

I quite like this dress, but on Kate looks boring, colors are bland. Cut is nice, but skirt is too short (especially visible when she was bending down) and caused the problems with strong wind (in my opinion she should know after incident in Canada how to cope with wind and clothes). Don't like the shoes, only focused her skinny legs. Hair and make-up as usual, I've stopped to believe that she will ever change it.

Short skirt? It was just above the knee. I would hardly call that dress short or girlish.

when Kate was standing it was ok, but here
http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/13...DC7668E28A4056978159AD936BEA3FF6A68CD9FA5D81B
for me too short, I know that she's young but such a cut wasn't the best idea
She looks like a coltish teenager from the side but I have to be honest, the reinvented "Baby Doll" dress is just too young and cute to be worn by a 30 year old woman expecting others to take her seriously.

This photo really highlights the limitations of the ensemble. The skirt is in danger of exposing royal knickers and so there goes one hand holding the front down and with all that hair flying around I am betting the hand I can't see is trying to s to shove it out of the way so she can speak to the child. I'm not going to guess which hand she would have to let go of to accept flowers!

Aren't we all so terribly terribly discreet. Puleeze, Katherine is not close to revealing the royal knickers!!! This, IMO, is merely an excuse to criticize. Actually, I think Katherine should be wearing her skirts below mid-calf, shoes ... no higher than two inches, hair done up in a knot at the back of her head with no make up. Then that would satisfy "some" people and then others would carry on about how drab, boring and old fashioned she looked.

What's a girl do do? :)

Aren't we all so terribly terribly discreet. Puleeze, Katherine is not close to revealing the royal knickers!!! This, IMO, is merely an excuse to criticize. Actually, I think Katherine should be wearing her skirts below mid-calf, shoes ... no higher than two inches, hair done up in a knot at the back of her head with no make up. Then that would satisfy "some" people and then others would carry on about how drab, boring and old fashioned she looked.

What's a girl do do? :)

A simple black burqa would cover all the fashion sins that seem to upset people:eek: Classic yet elegant. You can never go wrong with black especially with a nice string of pearls (worn underneath of course so as not to risk showing cleavage)

Last edited:
This is hard to put because I don't know how these things work behind the scenes...why hasn't somebody taken Catherine in hand and developed a "working" wardrobe for her ("working" as opposed to casual or evening)? IMO she needs about a dozen suits to start, either trousers or skirts, with various blouses, sweaters, scarves, etc. She's like any young woman starting a new career (well, sort of) and I don't know why she's wearing years old pieces that are either too dark, too short, too whatever (take your pick), with her hair whipping about and skirts flying up. I'd like to believe she'd listen to well-meaning advice but can't believe she hasn't been given any by now. I mean this in a friendly way because I really want to see her represent the royal family properly. :flowers:

This is hard to put because I don't know how these things work behind the scenes...why hasn't somebody taken Catherine in hand and developed a "working" wardrobe for her ("working" as opposed to casual or evening)? IMO she needs about a dozen suits to start, either trousers or skirts, with various blouses, sweaters, scarves, etc. She's like any young woman starting a new career (well, sort of) and I don't know why she's wearing years old pieces that are either too dark, too short, too whatever (take your pick), with her hair whipping about and skirts flying up. I'd like to believe she'd listen to well-meaning advice but can't believe she hasn't been given any by now. I mean this in a friendly way because I really want to see her represent the royal family properly. :flowers:

Well, I for one think she IS representing the royal family properly.

If she wears a new designer outfit she is criticized for spending money and not being sensitive to the current economic climate.

And then when she wears an outfit that she bought previous to her royal life she is accused (frequently by the same people mentioned above) of not taking her new role seriously, and/or not looking "royal" enough.

IMHO, it seems that she can't win for trying.

She's fabulous ... Leave her alone. Haven't we all learned our lessons with Dian? Sheesh!

Short skirt? It was just above the knee. I would hardly call that dress short or girlish.

Seriously! I am starting to wonder how old some of you guys are you think that is a short skirt. It almost touches her knees for crying out loud! Conservative catholic private schools have skirts around that length.

Seriously! I am starting to wonder how old some of you guys are you think that is a short skirt. It almost touches her knees for crying out loud! Conservative catholic private schools have skirts around that length.

Exactly. That skirt length would have been allowed at my Catholic school. It looks a little shorter when the wind flared up and blew it up, but even then it didn't come anywhere close to indecent.

The more I look at this dress, the more I like it. It's a classic shape, but I don't think it feels dated.

Her Majesty is barely 5'3" and Kate is 5'10, or so I have read; at the very least, she is quite tall. Unlike The Queen, Catherine does not need to worry about wearing bright colors "in order to be seen." She will always be seen, no matter what she wears. And last year in Canada and the US, she did wear a brighter colour palette, but then it was summer. Many smartly dressed women wear darker colours in cooler weather. A couple of readers termed her shooties "cheap." They are Aquitalia and are NOT cheap.

Honestly, Kate's dress isn't even short. The dress hits a little above the knee...a length that I've seen worn by women of all ages.

In fact, Letizia, Victoria, Charlene, Mathilde and a few other royal ladies wear dresses/skirts this length (and in some cases shorter), yet they don't receive the same level of criticism. It's odd, I just don't understand the fuss about Kate's hemlines.

Having said all that, I'm really not fond of the pattern on this dress. It's looks dull to me. It's probably one of my least favorite outfits she's worn. I do like the shooties though. I know many hate them, but I think Kate wears them well.

Last edited:
...why hasn't somebody taken Catherine in hand and developed a "working" wardrobe for her ("working" as opposed to casual or evening)? IMO she needs about a dozen suits to start, either trousers or skirts, with various blouses, sweaters, scarves, etc. :flowers:
Sorry but I would hate this. It's people like me need a working wardrobe not Kate - she's a royal, she can promote British fashion, she is new to her role and as such still experimenting with her look.

An intelligent 30 year old woman needs to be "taken in hand"?! How condescending. She's old enough to make her own decisions. She's not a 16 year old starting her first job. She's also not working in an office, so a dozen dark suits would be completely out of place.

Frankly, I admire the fact that she wears pieces that she's had in her wardrobe for years. It goes to show that she's not like some other princesses who buy the bulk of the latest Prada collection and wear very little else.

I did not mean to speak condescendingly about Catherine or her wardrobe. She and William, from the beginning, have decided to do things in their own way and this extends to her style of dressing. I don't agree with the posters who suggest that she would be criticized if she did get an entirely new wardrobe, and I am surprised that she hasn't done this for her public life, that is all. And yes, most, if not all, of the other European princesses have done so with great results.

If Kate were to buy a whole new wardrobe the yelling would be intolerable. Why does she need a new wardrobe, she is wasting tax payers money. There seem to be a lot of people who don't like her in her own country and they would have a field day on the girl. I think she dresses properly for the job and is presentable.

I am really looking forward to the outfits Catherine will wear when appearing with HM on their two upcoming engagements! It will be interesting to note if they are new or different from what she's worn before.

Kate is already criticized by some for not working enough and being viewed as lazy; whenever she goes out shopping she is criticized by the same people as having no goals, purpose etc. I can only imagine the vitriol she would receive if she dared to spend money on all new clothes. Plus I would hate to see her or any Princess constantly wearing female business suits, since when has that been the norm? They are royals, not Hilary Clinton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom