The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 6: December 2011 - March 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As for her hair, Lumutqueen, I believe it takes Kate a good deal of work and time, in the salon and out, to maintain. To postulate that wearing her hair down is a sign of laziness is disrespectful and unkind, as well as untrue.

I agree entirely. Anyone looking at Kate would see that she obviously spends a lot of time and effort on her hair. No-one's hair looks that good on its own. The easier thing to do would be to stuff it up in a boring old chignon as so many people seem to want her to do.

I think Kate looks quite nice in the dress, but the DM also shows it in green, and I much prefer that version!

Especially when she'll be working with children, it would be nice to choose something a bit more colorful. JMO.

Not a fan of this look; not awful just not fantastic. The cut makes her look pregnant. I do look her booties.

Last edited:
I honestly do not know why this girl favours dark colours, on her trips abroad last year she wore some lovely colourful outfits. She looks boring. Yet again, her hair is down. I think if I ever met Catherine, my one question would be why do you always have your hair down? She has beautiful long hair which she could do so much with, it just looks like she's lazy.

That's probably why she wears it down. If my hair were that beautiful, I'd wear it down most of the time, too.

I agree entirely. Anyone looking at Kate would see that she obviously spends a lot of time and effort on her hair. No-one's hair looks that good on its own. The easier thing to do would be to stuff it up in a boring old chignon as so many people seem to want her to do.

Indeed, takes a lot of time, effort and money and someone elses hard work to make it that beautiful. As you say it's not natural for normal hair to look that good. Whilst beautiful, it's boring. I bet she'd even make a tiara look boring if she wears her hair down for future state events. She just about pulled off having her hair down for her wedding.

That's probably why she wears it down. If my hair were that beautiful, I'd wear it down most of the time, too.

I'm sure she pays a lot of money to have it lying flimsy around her shoulder, glistening in the sunshine with a few lose curls at the bottom. I'd save money and do it myself. She has done all the years prior to be married.

As for her hair, Lumutqueen, I believe it takes Kate a good deal of work and time, in the salon and out, to maintain. To postulate that wearing her hair down is a sign of laziness is disrespectful and unkind, as well as untrue.

It's certainly not unture, as it's my opinion that Catherine comes off lazy wearing her hair down. You disagree. It's a shame for the stylist who has so obviously done her hair since marriage, to have to continually do the same hairstyle when so much more could be done with it. Like I've said above, a waste of money IMO when she could maintain that hairstyle without the need of a stylist. But then all sorts of stories would fly around that she's not making the effort, turning up to events looking dishevelled etc.

Last edited:
The coat looks nice and the colors suit her. Her current hair color looks pretty, too. I actually like shooties, but these here look a bit cheap to me (or maybe it's the combination with the tights, dunno...). For a British royal she looks a bit too cheap generally, IMO. Even Camilla wears high quality stuff (and NO, I don't think Kate should spend more money on clothes, good quality, or clothes that at least look like good quality, does not necessarily cost a fortune). I still think she has a long way to go... However... ;)

I'm sure she pays a lot of money to have it lying flimsy around her shoulder, glistening in the sunshine with a few lose curls at the bottom. I'd save money and do it myself. She has done all the years prior to be married.

I've heard that her hair is naturally curly, so it might be best handled by a professional. I believe Kate and her mother (and maybe her sister) have used the same salon for several years:

"The Richard Ward Hair and Metrospa in London has been cutting Kate’s hair for years and were asked by the now Duchess of Cambridge to style her tresses for the exceptionally big day watched by two billion people globally."

Hair Tips from Kate Middleton

Eeeek! Those skinny legs in those ugly, motorcycle moll "shooties" is a new low. The dress looks like...nothing.

The hair looks dull and brittle. Seems to look good only when it is freshly glazed.

Next thing will be maternity speculation because of the semi-empire waist on this little girl dress. What is she thinking???

Sorry gang. She's going the wrong way for me.

Last edited:
I rather like coat/dress thingy. The print is fun and the color is great for her. I'm not sure about the cut though.
And maybe it is a bit short on a windy day..

... [snipped] I hope the Piers Atkinson commission is a rumor, too. But even if it isn't, I doubt he'd design anything outlandish for Kate. No doubt, he would design something tasteful (hopefully!), as Sarah Burton did for Kate's wedding dress. Burton is creative director for the house of Alexander McQueen, who was responsible for some pretty outlandish outfits, himself.
The late Lee Alexander McQueen created pieces of art, which were watered down for consumers. Only a special woman (e.g., Daphne Guinness)can pull some of McQueen's pieces off. Rich ladies such as Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, wear the watered down versions.

Last edited:
I also thought at first that Kate's dress was a coat. I actually have a pair of summer slacks in a similar print and it's not an easy pattern to wear since it's very muted. I'd have preferred the green dress featured on the website, but I have to say that I don't like the style at all. She can do so much more with color and cut. I'm not a fan of shooties, either, but at least she's wearing them correctly with the proper color hosiery.

Last edited:
Duchess of Cambridge looked very lovely today. I am relieved she did not get a make-over to look like a runway model when becoming Prince William's wife.

Eeeek! Those skinny legs in those ugly, motorcycle moll "shooties" is a new low. The dress looks like...nothing.

The hair looks dull and brittle. Seems to look good only when it is freshly glazed.

Next thing will be maternity speculation because of the semi-empire waist on this little girl dress. What is she thinking???

Oh dear, it appears the Duchess has committed some cardinal sin. Perhaps a lot of the posters here would be happier if she turned herself into a vacuous ingenue who dressed according to the latest edition of Vogue?

Oh dear, it appears the Duchess has committed some cardinal sin. Perhaps a lot of the posters here would be happier if she turned herself into a vacuous ingenue who dressed according to the latest edition of Vogue?

I've got quite a lot of copies of the UK Vogue stockpilled under my bed and I can tell you, some of the outfits Catherine has worn have been featured on the pages. The designer she's worn have obviously had their names mentioned numerous times, perhaps not lesser known UK designers but the big ones.

There is a difference between saying Catherine's clothes don't suit her, and saying she should become someone who has no thought or intelligence and should act like an innocent young girl, which no poster has said.

I thought the dress was appropriate, don't mind the hoose but hated the boots. I think this must be a different generation thing. I simply hate those boots young princesses seem to love: Catherine, Letizia, Victoria...
In short: she managed to look pretty in spite of the boots and touching the hair AGAIN.

OMG she looks 12 the dress is too young for her IMO why well I won't say for fear of the carry on re her wt. I will say the hair should have been secured and the only thing I like are the boots... total YUK ! IMO

Generally I despise that kind of boot. I think they look horrible on most women. I must say I think Catherine is one of the very few who wears them well and properly. It was a very muted look and I would like more color but I do think she looked very nice ... very business like. I think that is her aim when she is carrying out these duties. I think that is working because the discussions about her clothes have been very minimal and more directed toward information about the charity. I look forward to seeing her choices in the coming Jubilee year, especially on those occasions when she is not accompanying the Queen.

I agree, Princess of Durham. I generally dislike shooties but Kate just about gets away with it. I wouldn't buy them myself but they fitted with the rest of her outfit today.

The coat looks nice and the colors suit her. For a British royal she looks a bit too cheap generally, IMO. Even Camilla wears high quality stuff (and NO, I don't think Kate should spend more money on clothes, good quality, or clothes that at least look like good quality, does not necessarily cost a fortune). I still think she has a long way to go... However... ;)
Thank you for expressing what I've been thinking too. This coat dress doesn't look like it fits properly, it looks like the waist is off and is too short. And, the fabric looks cheap to me too.
As you say, clothes that look like good quality don't cost a fortune, and they could be worn again....:flowers:
With a brooch!

Sorry gang. She's going the wrong way for me.

I have to agree. She looks terrible.
Wrong dress/skirt/coat... whatever that thing is...
wrong length and definitely wrong color. And these shoes (which I like) to this outfit wrong again!
It looks like she got this outfit from her grandmother but didn't fit in at all.
And her hair is nothing new, like always.

I like the coat.It's lovely.The only thing I don't like is the shoes.

Last edited:
There's really nothing wrong with the dress/coat dress thing IMO. She looks nice in brown. It's just that right on the heals of her last appearance in brown I'd have thought she would have picked another color. I do wish it was longer though.

Last edited:
muriel said:

There are definately posters who will always find something to complain about in regards to her clothes, hair, anything.

I thought the outfit was fine. I liked it. Appropriate for the occasion and looked comfortable. People looked happy to see her and she looked happy to be there.

HM wears colourful dresses and coats in order to be seen in a crowd. The Duchess of Cambridge could do likewise for the same purpose because she, too, should be visible on official occasions. That she wears demure colours tells me at least that she doesn't want to attract attention through her clothes and I can understand that. She is the latest, even though a senior, member of the family and she obviously sees her duty in being a "supporting actor" ähhhh, member of The Firm. Thus her clothing in the Uk and her different choice of colours when abroad. My guess is that we'll see quite some colourful dresses during their tour to Singapore etc.

When in time she is a mother of an heir either apparent or presumptive and HMs jubilee is over and everything is back to normal, then we will seea more flamboyant duchess.

Thank you for expressing what I've been thinking too. This coat dress doesn't look like it fits properly, it looks like the waist is off and is too short. And, the fabric looks cheap to me too.
As you say, clothes that look like good quality don't cost a fortune, and they could be worn again....:flowers:
With a brooch!

The problem with Kate wearing a brooch is that it would be difficult to see with her hair and the busyness of the pattern.

I definitely don't like her footwear today. I think the dress would have been better in a solid color (the green shown on the site is lovely). However, I think the printed version is good when one is working with kids and paint. If something falls on you, it won't be too obvious because of the print. I think overall, she looks nice. Her smile is her best feature, and she appears to be genuinely enjoying herself.

I don't have a problem with the dark colours Kate seems to favour, particularly as its still winter in the UK & we tend to leave our brighter colours for the sping & summer :)
I also quite like the printed fabric and I think the boots look good.
It wouldn't be one of my favourite outfits, but I think it is far from a disaster.
I'm looking forward to seeing Kate turn up for an official engagement in a trouser suit which quite a few of the European Royals do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom