The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 6: December 2011 - March 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:But, you know what, if she started wearing her skirts longer they would start calling her dowdy and dressing too old for her age. Let's face it, she can't win. The best thing she can do is just "keep on, keepin' on" and ignore the idjits. Just MO, of course. :D Otherwise they would have her dancing like a marionette with them pulling the strings ... and they would love it.

Kate, like the rest of us, has to make choices. If one is going to wear short skirts AND bend over, well...

Thank you! veyr Nice outfit :flowers:

It still astounds me that people consider a skirt that ends just at the knee or just above it a "short skirt".

:previous:
I have to agree. While I didn't particularly like the coat (in my opinion, it didn't suit Kate's figure), it would never occur to me to call it, or the dress underneath, short.
Of course, different people - different opinions.

Kate's skirts are not ending "just at the knee." They are 2 or 3 inches above the knee and they are getting photos of her inner thigh. Her skirts need to be mid-knee. She's still got plenty of leg to show off.

I'm sorry, I'm just very uncomfortable that somehow Kate just has to suck it up; as if she was asking for photographers to take pictures up her skirt because the dress was very slightly above the knee.

That's the sort of old fashioned thinking that I thought women, at least, had seen through. Kate has the right to wear a modest coat and expect that her personal dignity be respected. The idea that it was somehow her own fault is repugnant. That's the sort of excuse men have used down the centuries to get away with pretty appalling things, "she was wearing a short skirt so she was asking for it". "Had she not tempted me like that all would have been well".

Yuck.

Last edited:
I think she looks great. There is more than enough dowdy to go around in the BRF.

Well, not all photographers are men. I guess I would call myself old fashioned. I guess one has to be old fashioned to cringe when the back of the garment rides up far enough for a pic of Her Royal Thighness.

I liked the dress and daffodil, wasn't crazy about the shoes but overall I think she once again stylish and appropriate. As for the tacky photographs, they will keep taking them as long as people will pay for them/talk about them...just sayin. :)

IMO, it was not the length of the skirt but the angle of the shot. It almost appeared as though the photographer had lain down on the ground to take the shot. There is no way an average size man/woman photographer taking a shot standing in a normal position or even on bended knee would have gotten that shot. It was clearly intentional and premeditated on their part. :ermm:

I liked the dress and daffodil, wasn't crazy about the shoes but overall I think she once again stylish and appropriate. As for the tacky photographs, they will keep taking them as long as people will pay for them/talk about them...just sayin. :)

Yes, she is stylish and appropriate, until she bends over. I agree that the photos will continue to be taken.

I don't plan to waste anymore keystrokes on this subject...LOL

Didn't like the photo from "up the rear" of Kate, thought it was sensationalism.

The only way Catherine can get longer skirts off the rack would be to go to tall miss clothing. Remember she is 5'10" and clothes are mostly designed for shorter people. I think eventually she will go to all custom made clothes for that reason. There is a whole industry that caters to tall people. I am well versed in tall clothing because we have so many talls in our family. My sister had 5 daughters and the shortest was 5'10". They sewed most of their clothes. Her boys were 6'5 to 6'7.

I think the photo was taken from a regular angle. She's just bending over, which she's allowed to do, and I don't see the big deal about it.

The coat is not growing on me, though. It's as if she's trying to make a statement about being in rags or something. But, I'm trying to look at it as fun (the original price tag on that item is interesting).

My intuition tells me that she chose those daffodils herself, which made the outfit for me, and was brilliant. I think she chose the coat herself, too.

It is getting slightly irritating that an above the knee dress is regarded as too short; how many times does it have to be said that this isn't the 1950's. Any dress is going to go up when a wOman bends over unless it's a pencil skirt. I believe Kate was at fault for her yellow dress wind malfunction in Canada, but trying to blame her when some sleaze focuses on her butt as she is bending over is kind of repugnant.
But if idiots are going to take photos like this then I think she needs to learn to bend over differently or start putting pants in her wardrobe.

:previous: And that is really the point. She needs to tailor her clothes to the engagement. If she is going to be bending over then lose the short skirt and the high heels that make her need to bend even further. Most women who are wearing that length do not have to go around bending over in public . . . Catherine does, ego longer skirts or terrific trouser suits.

It is unfortunate that with such long legs what is not short on other girls looks very short on her and, if she continues to bend over in public places, photographers will continue shooting for a glimpse of her royal thighness! It is not right, it is not fair, but it is what it is and Catherine is going to have to deal with it.

I don't think her coat was short, it was a nice length for the style. Any longer would remind me of dress & skirt lengths Camilla & the Queen wear.
I don't want to nit pick but an inch would make a difference. To the knee would be elegant. I'm not advocating mid-calf.
And, where are her gloves?

Last edited:
I just saw that rear-view photo of Kate. I also have to say that what may be average hemline length for many of us, especially those of us petite people whose center of gravity is closer to the ground, is short for Kate. Given her height, the long legs and the sky-high heels she wears, this all combines for glimpses of areas that shouldn't be on show. She needs to crouch down to children, not bend over, not when she's wearing a form-fitting outfit and from a greater height. But her clothing probably impeded her from crouching. As Marg said, she needs to tailor her clothing to the engagements and if that includes slacks and panstsuits, they would certainly be practical additions to a working wardrobe and would be elegant as well.

Last edited:
Above the knee is just fine, I swear every time she steps out the car there is some women complaining that a freakin above the knee dress is somehow too short! Is this a British thing or just an age thing? I don't see women in the work place wearing skirts as long as Kate's. I guess it is just something we are going to have to deal with, that there are people who believe an above the knee dress is the definition of short.

I would never advocate Kate becoming obsessed with her press like Diana, but I do suggest she look at pictures of when she is bending over to see these kids and adjust her habits accordingly. I believe Diana did a lot of bending over like that, but seeing as how Kate has pervert photographers, I really think she should kneel all the way to the ground.

I wonder why the British Royals do not wear pants and pant suits for official daytime activities? Pants suits can be dressy enough for most official activities and certainly be more comfortable, concealing, and warmer (especially in winter). And yes, Catherine could wear lower heels and still be lovely to look at.

I wonder why the British Royals do not wear pants and pant suits for official daytime activities? Pants suits can be dressy enough for most official activities and certainly be more comfortable, concealing, and warmer (especially in winter). And yes, Catherine could wear lower heels and still be lovely to look at.
I'm not sure whether the British Royals are waiting for a bus :D :D:D
I love the fact that they tend to wear skirts\dresses for official events. In my opinion, they look more formal and elegant, like a real ladies.

I noticed that Kate did not have a bag and didnt seem to know what to do with her hands. Perhaps she should take a leaf from her Majesty and the Duchess of Cornwall and always carry a bag

Naturally you are correct but I was not thinking that the Royals walked the cold streets of London nor waited for public transport. But thanks for the whimsical image!

I wondered about the lack of a bag, as well. With the tonal relationship of the shoes to the coat, a bag would have assisted in completing the look if it pulled in the shoes. OTOH, it would have had to have been the right bag, maybe she hasn't located it yet.

It's been unseasonably mild this week in the UK with temperatures up to 18C (64F). There was certainly no reason not to wear a skirt/dress.

Did i miss a picture? Why this long discussion abt length of skirt? Did they take her underwear on pic?

Abt her non carrying a bag, thd more often she does carry one. This time it was exception. Maybe she wanted to have her hands free to touch items inside FM.

About the weather and wearing skirts, generally she is very resistant in cold. Remember the black strapless gown, without anything to cover her, in December!

For me the coat is alright, the problem is the length of the dress underneath (probably Zara blue dress). If the dress would be exactly the same long as coat and wasn't delicate there won't be a problem and such a photos. Kate should learn that photographers are everywhere and only waiting for such a opportunity.

For me there is not problem, just the journalist are idiots! We did not se neither her a..nor her underwear!

I also thought Kate might have wanted to leave a clutch home for the purpose of being hands-free to handle items. But it looked a bit awkward to see her hands crossed in front of her; the pose begged for a clutch in her hands. I can't imagine she couldn't have found a pretty suede one to match the shoes in her travels.

Thanks for the article, Michelle, that was an interesting one to read, especially about the "adjustments" in Kate's appearances. If what we read is true!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom