The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 5: October 2011 - December 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like the dress or the colour on her or anyone else for that matter. I t is boring and honestly she can manage something better, if she must do this let it be in or for a private occasion YUK!!

I really do like the girl but somedays even I have to admit her outfit(s) are very boring for such a young lady. Is it just me or is she getting more and more conservative as the months go by?

Over on the British Royal Family thread, there are photos of some of the guests, too. The women aren't dressed up either, so it seems to have been a function that was after 5, but neither formal nor semi-formal. Fiona Bruce is wearing a knit tunic and tights and boots.

This is Kate's daytime fashion thread isn't it?

I do like the cut/style (what I could see of it) of Kate's frock, very classic. However, that color is (or photographs) really garish.

Hard to say something about this dress cause I haven't seen full photos (and I'm not sure if I will). On the model looks ok, but very easy can make person look matronly and older than is. Kate's look matronly IMO. She should stay with classic outfits. Color is 'interesting' but not my favorite, very bright and this shade of green...I'm not sure. Lay down the blush Kate, however it could look good in mirror doesn't look good on photos.

Kate's green dress

www.whatkatewore.com says this is a $2200 Mulberry dress. Seriously? For a shirt dress that looks like something my mother would have worn back in the 1970's? Come on Kate!!!!:bang:

Hard to say something about this dress cause I haven't seen full photos (and I'm not sure if I will). On the model looks ok, but very easy can make person look matronly and older than is. Kate's look matronly IMO. She should stay with classic outfits. Color is 'interesting' but not my favorite, very bright and this shade of green...I'm not sure. Lay down the blush Kate, however it could look good in mirror doesn't look good on photos.

www.whatkatewore.com says this is a $2200 Mulberry dress. Seriously? For a shirt dress that looks like something my mother would have worn back in the 1970's? Come on Kate!!!!:bang:

Yep, price of 'vintage look'.

These shirt dresses are very fashionable this autumn. LK Bennett have some very nice ones as well, though at a much more reasonable price point.

I hope she'll wore it again and again and again. Otherwise it will be waste of money.

I love the color of the dress (brings to mind the shade they use for the skin color of the main character in 'Wicked'). Catherine looks good in the shade too. I can't say too much on the dress itself, because I can't see the full picture of the look on Catherine. It looks OK on the model, but nothing special.

you must be kidding this dress is awfull and at that price!!!! crazy!!!!!

I fail to see how anyone can judge given that the most we saw of the dress on Kate were the tops of her shoulders! Dresses always look one way when worn by skeletal models and completely different when worn in real life situations.

The price of the dress is not extreme by any means. I got shouted down for remarking on the fact that the Queen of Bhutan was carrying round a bag worth at least £10k, so £1.4k is practically a bargain.

I fail to see how anyone can judge given that the most we saw of the dress on Kate were the tops of her shoulders! Dresses always look one way when worn by skeletal models and completely different when worn in real life situations.

The price of the dress is not extreme by any means. I got shouted down for remarking on the fact that the Queen of Bhutan was carrying round a bag worth at least £10k, so £1.4k is practically a bargain.

In this economy all over the world, yes, the price is extreme. Granted I am fairly sure that this was probably donated to her by a designer in the hopes that she would wear it for the cameras. How many poor people could be fed on $2200? I am judging based on the appearance of the dress on and off the model. See www.whatkatewore.com. It is a shirt dress people. She really does need a stylist. The queen looked oh so much better at this reception.

I also am judging the dress by how it looks on the model since we see so little a view of Kate, and I too find it wanting for that amount of money. I don't care for the style at all; it looks very dowdy and matronly on the model and I'm making an educated guess that it would look the same way on Kate as well. The color is OK, too, though the description of cabbage kind of puts me off.:ohmy:

This green day dress is likely to be worn a number of times and in terms of wearing something of good quality that will last and be accessorised in different ways I would say for a royal duchess it was money well spent. Whether Mulberry ought to be selling dresses at that price in the first place is quite another matter. As for the Queen of Bhutan's £10,000/dollar handbag I had no idea that something you put your carkeys and hankie in could cost so much and feel rather giddy at the prospect. Thank God I'm a man!

All prices are relative to how much one has to spend. As far as recycling this green dress with accessories, well I've been thinking about it and 1) Kate does not appear to accessorize and 2) I can't think what would work with it. Some people will come up with stuff, but I have few clothes myself and rely on accessories for variety. It's the color...not, the actual garment.

As for the Queen of Bhutan's £10,000/dollar handbag I had no idea that something you put your carkeys and hankie in could cost so much and feel rather giddy at the prospect. Thank God I'm a man!

Don't talk to me about men and handbags! They always say something like that, and then when you're going someplace it's "Oh, could you carry my...(sunglasses, theatre tickets, car keys, pills, cigarettes)...just fill in the blank! :ROFLMAO:

:previous:Took the words right out of my mouth! And let me tell you, a lot of men are certainly into high-end name products as well!

And, KittyAtlanta, you're correct about accessories and the role they play in elevating a certain look into something extra special. I don't know if even a long necklace would have worked with that buttoned neckline. And here's another view of the dress on Kate:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-UBhWNonTk...-the-media-at-buckingham-palace-844535751.jpg

Last edited:
Hahaha! Well, Kitty, Mirabel and Baroness, I am but a man and know nothing of accessories! But it's true, there are keys, sunglasses, wallets, coins, sweets, combs, possibly cigarettes, lighters, watches, wrenches, iPhones, iPods, iPads, eye-patches and all sorts that we are quite incapable of carrying on our own.....good job handbags are so damn big these days!! :flowers::flowers::flowers:

I like the color but not the outfit itself.

Since when is there an obligation to feed poor people rather than buy a dress? I'm always surprised to see people decide for others what "too much money is." I'm certain that whatever each of us is paying for internet access would feed a child in Sierra Leone for a month or more.

This forum is, after all, about royalty - and royalty costs money. It always has, always will and it has its totemic purpose to serve, which is why I like watching what they do. I also give money to various charities - but I believe it's up to each person to decide about such matters.

I am a little dissappointed that these days Catherine appears to be spending an awful lot on her royal wardrode. I suspect it is early days and she is probably building a "collection" from which she can pick and choose in time. That said, I really would like to see her wear a lot more "affordable" luxury than pure top end brands. I would also like to see her reuse a lot more of her clothes in public. We live in difficult times, and I think a bit of public symbolism will go a long way.

There are plenty of other European princesses that spend much, much more on their wardrobe than the Duchess. Propably she is given a certain amount of money each month determined by the Prince of Wales to spend on clothes and beauty salon and I am sure she stays within that limit. It is pretty clear that when in private she wears over and over again the same clothes that she had before getting married. And she has first to build up her royal wardrobe before repeating items. But again, this is my opinion and it is not as relevant as one of a UK ciizen.

I am a little dissappointed that these days Catherine appears to be spending an awful lot on her royal wardrode. I suspect it is early days and she is probably building a "collection" from which she can pick and choose in time. That said, I really would like to see her wear a lot more "affordable" luxury than pure top end brands. I would also like to see her reuse a lot more of her clothes in public. We live in difficult times, and I think a bit of public symbolism will go a long way.

Kate not only wears 'affordable' luxury, she often wears high street brands - Topshop, Zara, Reiss etc. In fact she's been criticised by the fashion establishment in this country for wearing high street brands too much.

It seems to me that she's more or less striking the right balance. If some people are saying she wears too much designer gear and others are saying she's wearing too much high street fashion, that tells me that she's just about getting it right.

I have no doubt that this dress will be re-worn several times. Kate has already shown that she has no issue in recycling outfits (and gets criticised by posters on this forum when she does so). No-one comments on the fact that William was probably wearing an ensemble that cost upwards of £4-5k. Prince Charles has been known to favour hand made Jermyn St shoes that cost £3k per pair. But they're worn many times over many years and work out as a good deal. I have no doubt the same will be the case for this Mulberry dress.

Are you kidding - to me it looks like a leftover of some of the shiny outfits Princess Margret used to wear, what else can I say.

I agree with those who think that Kate looks incredibly old for her age, her quasi-peers (current CPs) are 10 years older but most of them look younger and none of them uses such harsh and almost clownish makeup. Quite astonishing for somebody with a light-lightweight workload, lots of servants on hand and no kids as yet.

Worse to come, thats for sure.

Kate not only wears 'affordable' luxury, she often wears high street brands - Topshop, Zara, Reiss etc. In fact she's been criticised by the fashion establishment in this country for wearing high street brands too much.

It seems to me that she's more or less striking the right balance. If some people are saying she wears too much designer gear and others are saying she's wearing too much high street fashion, that tells me that she's just about getting it right.

I have no doubt that this dress will be re-worn several times. Kate has already shown that she has no issue in recycling outfits (and gets criticised by posters on this forum when she does so). No-one comments on the fact that William was probably wearing an ensemble that cost upwards of £4-5k. Prince Charles has been known to favour hand made Jermyn St shoes that cost £3k per pair. But they're worn many times over many years and work out as a good deal. I have no doubt the same will be the case for this Mulberry dress.

Agree!!! I do not think that they are sooo many other CPs wearing unworn dresses bought on sales years ago!
Or wearing so proudly Zara or Topshop! The only one is CP Letizia, but she is promoting Spanish brands (Zara, Mango). I do not think she wears tons of H&M (Swedish).
After all, she is a Princess and one day she will be Queen of England.
Her uselesses cousins (Eugenie+Beatrice) are spending more and more, to be nothing.

Are you kidding - to me it looks like a leftover of some of the shiny outfits Princess Margret used to wear, what else can I say.

I agree with those who think that Kate looks incredibly old for her age, her quasi-peers (current CPs) are 10 years older but most of them look younger and none of them uses such harsh and almost clownish makeup. Quite astonishing for somebody with a light-lightweight workload, lots of servants on hand and no kids as yet.

Worse to come, thats for sure.

See below: Shirt dresses of the type Catherine wore are very fashionable at the moment.

Amalia2 Dress Grey L.K.Bennett

There are plenty of other European princesses that spend much, much more on their wardrobe than the Duchess. Propably she is given a certain amount of money each month determined by the Prince of Wales to spend on clothes and beauty salon and I am sure she stays within that limit. It is pretty clear that when in private she wears over and over again the same clothes that she had before getting married. And she has first to build up her royal wardrobe before repeating items. But again, this is my opinion and it is not as relevant as one of a UK ciizen.

Yes, but I haven't heard Maxima or M-M or any other royal woman who constantly says she and her husband are "normal", then turns up in a BPS2,200 rag.

Also, Kate is not a CP. If that title is used, it is Camilla's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom