The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 5: October 2011 - December 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if that's the same red coat that she wore to Williams's gradation parade a few years ago... The one where both of her parents attended with her.

It's a new coat from LK Bennet. Other colors are still available on their site. The red coat sold out today.

I think the coat would have looked better above her knees. The belt also Would have looked better thinner like on the model. The thick material of her coat was also overwhelming. Few alterations though and it would look more flattering on her.

I agree with another poster who suggested Mary and Kate should have worn jeans, a UNICEF shirt, blazer and their hair up. Maybe then they both would have looked less awkward to me.

William and Frederick were wearing suits. Why the heck would their wives wear jeans and a blazer?:question:

Update, Mary's shirt under her jacket looks rather nice. Seeing more pictures I get a better appreciation for her wardrobe choice.

Last edited:
I thought that Kate looked great. The coat was simple in design, and she's slim enough to wear a belt like that. The boots were fine with me. As for the hair, I'd wear my hair down as well if there had just been a big deal made over my "scar."

After all that hoopla over the scar, I'd probably want to wear my hair down for awhile as well! Let's hope Kate goes back to the half-up, half-down style that flatters her so well and keeps the hair away from her face.

Last edited:
I think Kate's coat could have been shorter and it would have looked better, but she still looked good; Mary was arguably a little more boring, like she was going to work at a school. But they both looked good imo, Kate just shined a little more. Looks like her standard hairstyle is back again, to the disappointment of us all.

I actually preferred Mary's look a little bit- she looks a little more comfortable in her own skin if that makes sense. Kate's still just a touch self-conscious. But that's understandable! Mary's had several years to get used to the royal spotlight, and Kate's still learning.

They both looked lovely.

I don't like the red coat, I thought it was quite long and that was one hideous belt IMO. The hair was messy, it was all over the place, not practical for such an event, a ponytail or hair pulled in a simple bun would've worked. Also with the high collar of the coat she needed hair up.

I thought that Kate looked great. The coat was simple in design, and she's slim enough to wear a belt like that. The boots were fine with me. As for the hair, I'd wear my hair down as well if there had just been a big deal made over my "scar."
Completely agree!
I loved Catherine's coat so much!

On wearing stilletto-boots Catherine towered over her host - seems a bit unpolite to me.

No, it is not a crime but let's face it. Her hair just gets in the way and distracts from the business at hand. Let her save the whole mega coiffured tumbling curls for private or for occasions where she just has to arrive and take a seat.
Agreed! For the most part, I really like how Kate dresses. I think she looked absolutely fine today. But..the hair..it kills me. (So does her make-up but that's another story) As soon as I saw what she looked like and saw her hair I just groaned. For me it's not so much that it is "coiffured" - in my opinion it looks rather terrible curled like that anyway - it's that she is always changing the original styling by putting it behind her ears when it falls in her face! It's so distracting.

I loved her hair at the engagement photocall and when she wears it half up half down. Otherwise, I feel it seriously detracts from the rest of her look. [Gosh, I'm just full of snark right now.]

I think Kate looked absolutely lovely as did Mary. Both ladies dressed in a way that suited their own personal character. I just lovely Kate's coat and belt. So incredibly chic and elegant with the boots. The belt lifted what would have been just a simple red coat. Agreed, the event was not a fashion affair, however I am certain both ladies knew that they would be in the limelight, facing numerous cameras with publicity and therfore dressed accordingly. Both William and Frederik were in suits, so the ladies were definitely not overdressed. As for Kates stiletto boots, well they were just as lovely as Mary's stiletto shoes. I do think both couples came accross wonderfully.

Last edited:
ok finally i see the red coat with a belt...imo it works im not a fan of the belt but somehow she got away with that look...the coat is long but it fits her now if she was wearing a kitten heel with a long coat than i would think it looks odd but with the heels she got away with it but imo princess mary could have dress up a little more than she did..princess mary looks homely imo she still pretty but like a plan jane ..to much gray. this is an odd thought with what both ladies are wearing it wasnt to hard on the eyes..odd statement

hey u know what the new look in coats will be-coats with belts like kate wore..trust me this winter you'll all see ladies wearing their coats like her

are there anyother daywear pics from denmark

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't like her outfit in Denmark. IMO the coat was much too long and her waist looked so thin it almost hurts me to look at it :argh:

I think Kate's Denmark outfit was really beautiful, I especially liked the coat, however I must agree with prinsessan, it made her look very thin - almost too thin.

Last edited:
Only a thin person could wear a coat belted like that. :)and not look like the Michelin Man.

Unfortunately, Kate seems to insist on keeping the fancy party theme clothes-wise for most of her official engagements, as her outfit for the Danish trip had an air of a Russian Red Army Revival... Only the fur hat was missing: How to Pull Off a Winter Hat - Kate Middleton Winter Hat - Real Beauty

As for the way her hair is styled, not only it's unpractical, it also emphasizes her bad posture, she keeps slouching, and it's not very princesslike...

I loved the long coat, Kate is one of the few people who can pull off such a long coat. However I did not like the belt, it already looks dated to me. And if she would keep her half pinned up and down more often it would be much more practical.

As for the way her hair is styled, not only it's unpractical, it also emphasizes her bad posture, she keeps slouching, and it's not very princesslike...

However I did not like the belt, it already looks dated to me. And if she would keep her half pinned up and down more often it would be much more practical.

I agree, I too think Catherine needs to think of what a practical hairstyle might be for her for "working" days like the one in Copenhagen. I guess a hairstyle is very personal to each of us, and I am sure she will get there, she just needs some time.

^^^^Yes, hairstyle is very personal and most likely Kate is hanging on to one that's familiar to her during this period of change. Perhaps Will prefers her longer look, too, but as she develops more into her role she'll no doubt start experimenting with cut and style. I agree, she needs a better hairdo for daytime because the hair is very much a distraction when she constantly handles it and pushes it aside.

Last edited:
Agree the BELT was tacky. And the whole look was too overdressed imo. Not appropriate for UNICEF imo, see Audrey Hepburn for inspiration.

Goodness! Audrey Hepburn was most frequently photographed "on site" of course she would not be dressed anyway but very casually in the midst of Africa!:ermm:

Audrey Hepburn oozed style and elegance from every pore in her body, even dressed for the jungles and villages of Africa. What a lady.

I don't know what anyone is talking about. She wasn't overdressed and I liked the belt. Plus, can we get past all the comments that she is too thin. The comments are alittle rude. Not everyone looks alike and she honestly does not look that thin. There are people who are naturally very thin like that. I know people who look like that and are perfectly healthy. She looked lovely. I loved that coat. Considering everyone was dressed professionally I don't think she was out of placed. Frederik and William had on suits and ties. Mary had on slacks and everything. She looked beautiful. I will agree Mary wasn't dressed properly. And I love her hair. I really don't want her to do much with her hair. She will change her hair when she feels like it. She is still learning royal behavior so the hair fiddling thing isn't that bad. Honestly, it has never bothered me. It's a pretty normal behavior. She will learn and figure things out.

Audrey Hepburn would be a great inspiration for Kate to study, but I don't get the sense that Kate is very studious about fashion (I can relate). For someone who isn't all that interested in fashion, which is how I see her, I think she's doing very well. She's not exactly bookish looking, but a combination of bookish schoolgirl meets athletic schoolgirl- and now has to make public appearances as a princess.

She's doing really well.

(...)

I think Kate's coat could have been shorter and it would have looked better, but she still looked good; Mary was arguably a little more boring, like she was going to work at a school. But they both looked good imo, Kate just shined a little more. Looks like her standard hairstyle is back again, to the disappointment of us all.

Not everyone hates her hair. I think everyone is making too big of a deal about her. Way overthinking and over scutinizing everything!

Not everyone hates her hair. I think everyone is making too big of a deal about her. Way overthinking and over scutinizing everything!
You are absolutely correct. Not everyone "hates" her hair! I should imagine that few do, even more envy the luxurious beauty of it, myself included.

What is an issue is when that hair gets in the way, as indeed it did in Copenhagen. The hairstyle was inappropriate for where she was and what she was doing, to such an extent, that the necessity to move it out of the way detracted from the whole event. It was distracting seeing her continually fiddling with her hair, shoving it out of the way, etc. ad nauseum and, it is not as if this was the first time that this problem has occured.

Take Jennifer Anisten on the Red Carpet. Her hair is beautiful coiffured, bouncing glorious curls. She stolls up the red carpet. Stops and poses for a photo op, moves on, and repeats. That is all she does. However, the Duchess of Cambridge was not doing that sort of thing. When she stopped she was invariably looking down, either at shorter people or children, and as she bends forward, as she did trying to pack a box, her hair falls straight down and gets in the way! And so started the whole hair/hands thing.

When she attended her first evening event in that glorious pink gown, her hair was OK for what she was doing. Walking the red carpet, posing briefly with William for the occasional photo and then in and away from sight. Her hair style was then just a matter of poster's preference and we all have our own opinions.

It all comes down to what works for what she is doing, and that is something she has yet to master. The only real surprise is how very distracting her hair can be, and nobody could have forseen it's potential to irritate. Unkind people are starting to comment that it's a vanity issue because she really loves her hair! Not good a good look and probably neither fair nor correct.

Talking about open hair:
My grandmother (now around 80) was not allowed to wear open hair at school & when you were at work you had to wear your hair up,in a bun or somehow keep it out of your face.This makes sure it doesn´t distract or hinder you and you can focus on your study or work.(When she left school she was glad she could wear her hair open & get a short hairstyle,it felt like a liberation back than!)
While I really like Kate´s hair I believe that ponytail/updo/buns etc. look more professional and she still has a lot of occasions to wear her hair open for red carpet-events.Lots of girls&women play with their hair to hide their insecurity or because they are nervous,but it´s certainly not the best way to handle this problems and it doesn´t make you look confident and elegant when you constantly do things with your hair.

You are absolutely correct. Not everyone "hates" her hair! I should imagine that few do, even more envy the luxurious beauty of it, myself included.

What is an issue is when that hair gets in the way, as indeed it did in Copenhagen. The hairstyle was inappropriate for where she was and what she was doing, to such an extent, that the necessity to move it out of the way detracted from the whole event. It was distracting seeing her continually fiddling with her hair, shoving it out of the way, etc. ad nauseum and, it is not as if this was the first time that this problem has occured.

Take Jennifer Anisten on the Red Carpet. Her hair is beautiful coiffured, bouncing glorious curls. She stolls up the red carpet. Stops and poses for a photo op, moves on, and repeats. That is all she does. However, the Duchess of Cambridge was not doing that sort of thing. When she stopped she was invariably looking down, either at shorter people or children, and as she bends forward, as she did trying to pack a box, her hair falls straight down and gets in the way! And so started the whole hair/hands thing.

When she attended her first evening event in that glorious pink gown, her hair was OK for what she was doing. Walking the red carpet, posing briefly with William for the occasional photo and then in and away from sight. Her hair style was then just a matter of poster's preference and we all have our own opinions.

It all comes down to what works for what she is doing, and that is something she has yet to master. The only real surprise is how very distracting her hair can be, and nobody could have forseen it's potential to irritate. Unkind people are starting to comment that it's a vanity issue because she really loves her hair! Not good a good look and probably neither fair nor correct.

Marg, I agree with everything you've said. Kate has beautiful hair and I'd love to have just an iota of its lushness and length, but she definitely needs a "working" hairstyle that isn't a distraction. When she bends or if it's a windy day, it would be nice not to see the curtain of hair falling across her face and the invariable attempts to tuck it behind her ear or restrain it with her hand. There's a time and place for the long lengthy style and for a restrained, pulled-back one. It really needs to be secondary to what she's doing and not the focal point. All part of the learning curve, one would expect.

Last edited:
I suspect that there are just as many people who like/love Catherine's hair as hate/dislilke it, it's just that they do not appear to be obsessed with it and don't feel the need to constantly comment. I count that in somewhat the same category as the weight issue. IMO, people need to just keep quiet about her weight ...

(...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom