The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 5: October 2011 - December 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great job Duchess. I for one do not love her style but this works great for me.

I like her outfit. But she is too thin for me.

Everybody has a different body and shape,some women are naturally slim...when you are rather tall like Catherine you also look thinner than a smaller woman.

I think Kate looked fantastic! The red looks great on her.

Catherine looked great. I love the coat (the belt's OK, not bothering me really), and the boots go well with the look. The outfit appears to be comfortable, in a classy, understated, very Catherine, way.

@ Daria- Agree with you 100% Love it! Especially love the coat!
The best part of any Catherine outfit- her smile.

@ Daria- Agree with you 100% Love it! Especially love the coat!
The best part of any Catherine outfit- her smile.

Rose, that goes without saying. Her smile lights up the room.

Say what you will about her, but it's hard to visualize "Catherine" and "tacky" in the same sentence; that's definitely not an element of her style. And Muhler and EIIR, thank you for the explanation of the poppies. We also have poppies in remembrance of living and deceased war veterans for the U.S. Memorial Day; I just didn't realize about the World War I remembrance in Europe.

Last edited:
Say what you will about her, but you can't use "Catherine" and "tacky" in the same sentence; that's definitely not an element of her style. And Muhler and EIIR, thank you for the explanation of the poppies. We also have poppies in memory of living and deceased war veterans for the U.S. Memorial Day; I just didn't realize about the World War I remembrance in Europe.

Poppies and their symbolism and the poppy appeal.
As for Catherine and the word tacky of course we can use those two words together, it is our opinion and it is certainly an element of her style as she, for me, quite frequently looks tacky. She just has to learn.:flowers:

Last edited:
I love the whole look.

The color is great on her.

I like boots and coat is not bad (but seems to be a little too big or not flatter Kate's body well). Yes, belt is horrible, I just can't stand such a shiny belts so I found it tacky. I prefer original version of this coat.
As always boring hairstyle and harsh make-up.

The red is very pretty. It has a lot of richness to it. The style of the coat isn't my thing but the color is simply beautiful.

My understanding of "tacky" is something that is shabby or in bad taste - no I don't think so.
I personally liked the outfit ( including the belt). I agree that comments about her thinness are a little repetitive, but looking at the video footage I was struck that her facial features seem to be "sharper" if this make sense.

I love this outfit. It looks great with the boots. She really looks amazing! And I must agree with roseroyal, her smile is her best accessory!!;)

I think the coat would have looked better above her knees. The belt also Would have looked better thinner like on the model. The thick material of her coat was also overwhelming. Few alterations though and it would look more flattering on her.

I agree with another poster who suggested Mary and Kate should have worn jeans, a UNICEF shirt, blazer and their hair up. Maybe then they both would have looked less awkward to me.

Poppies and their symbolism and the poppy appeal.
As for Catherine and the word tacky of course we can use those two words together, it is our opinion and it is certainly an element of her style as she, for me, quite frequently looks tacky. She just has to learn.:flowers:

I realize that anyone can express what one wants here, but IMO it just seems incongruous to use a term that also means distasteful or offensive in that context. We all know that Kate has a fashion learning curve, but I feel she's always dressed in a manner that certainly isn't tacky. :flowers:

Last edited:
Say what you will about her, but it's hard to visualize "Catherine" and "tacky" in the same sentence; that's definitely not an element of her style.

In complete agreement. Catherine's style is anything but tacky. It's classy. If she makes a few mistakes, it's all right, because we all have had days when we made poor fashion choices in the eyes of others. It's part of being human.

I am always surprised to see people freaking out about the slightest critical comment. Nobody said Kate's style is tacky, it was about the belt, an accessory.

I personally find Kate's daytime style classic and elegant, yet at times too old for her age. The hair is annoying at times too, sometimes I think she is keeping it down only to be able to fiddle around with it, giving her something to do.

For me Catherine's outfit was a big disappointment. As soon as I saw the shiny accessorised belt and enormous stilettos I knew she had decided to make a fashion statement. If I had any doubts her hair and makeup took care of that.

I know it is not warm there so I expected a coat and, if she had kept the original belt it would have been "practical", but she didn't. The dizzying height of her stilettos boots were just plain ridiculous, as was the highly coiffured curls tumbling down face and shoulders. She seemed to spend the entire engagement pushing her hair back or trying (in vain) to tuck it behind her ears. How distracting for the poor man trying to show her how to pack the box. All he could see was her hair or her hand shoving it off her face!

IMO, her whole "look" was totally inappropriate for the engagement at hand, but a great look for the glossy mags!

I wouldn't say tacky... I was thinking... LOUD!!!

so loud my ears are ringing. catherine always looks great but she sticks out way too much here.

Weeell I don't know what to say about her outfit. The belt is horrible but at least for once she chose the right shade of red with a blue undertone and not with that horrible orange touch she prefers. Her hair is perfect as always but I really think Kate is too overdressed for the occasion. A ponytail with a blazer and jeans would have been better. What's more when I look at her she looks somewhat tired, her eyebrows are too dark as always and I really think she is under certain conditions .... I somehow have the impression when I look at her ;-)

I wouldn't say tacky... I was thinking... LOUD!!!

so loud my ears are ringing. catherine always looks great but she sticks out way too much here.

Loud would be Frederik's suit. Was that a blue crushed velvet suit he was wearing?:lol:

I don't think Kate's outfit was inappropriate. The men were wearing suits, so I don't see how she was overdressed.

Last edited:
I think the coat would have looked better above her knees. The belt also Would have looked better thinner like on the model. The thick material of her coat was also overwhelming. Few alterations though and it would look more flattering on her.

I agree with another poster who suggested Mary and Kate should have worn jeans, a UNICEF shirt, blazer and their hair up. Maybe then they both would have looked less awkward to me.

Sorry, I just don't agree with this. Jeans, shirt and blazer DO NOT, IMO go well with hair up.

I think both ladies looked terrific. Oh, for the days when I could have worn a belted coat and looked like that. :) Only a slender person can wear a belted coat and heavier fabric without looking like a stuffed sausage.

Exccept for being boots, I do not see that Kate's "stilettoes" are any different than Mary's "stilettoes".

Last edited:
I thought both ladies looked fine as well, each in their own way.

She'll never make everyone happy. Like so many stated here before me, she looked great. It wasn't loud, or tacky, but classy and lady-like. Her playing with her hair seems to be a nervous habit, and I think she was a little nervous. It's not a crime. Let's cut her a little bit of slack. She's doing a great job.

Her playing with her hair seems to be a nervous habit, and I think she was a little nervous. It's not a crime.
I agree that "playing with her hair" is a nervous habit but that is not what I am talking about.

In all the video shots she is incessantly playing with her hair and then when she has to actually move around, well then it gets really interesting. Tuck, shove, hold, someone speaks to he so she is shoving it back off her face to look at them, trying to tuck it behind her ears as every time she looks down, as she did when she was being instructed how to pack a box, it falls over her face and gets tangled, bending down to talk to a child she has to hold her hair back.

No, it is not a crime but let's face it. Her hair just gets in the way and distracts from the business at hand. Let her save the whole mega coiffured tumbling curls for private or for occasions where she just has to arrive and take a seat.

Last edited:
Sorry, I just don't agree with this. Jeans, shirt and blazer DO NOT, IMO go well with hair up.

I think both ladies looked terrific. Oh, for the days when I could have worn a belted coat and looked like that. :) Only a slender person can wear a belted coat and heavier fabric without looking like a stuffed sausage.

Exccept for being boots, I do not see that Kate's "stilettoes" are any different than Mary's "stilettoes".

It was just a suggestion since I felt that she was too "look at me.". With a brand new outfit the press will love to talk about how she continues to "excel" in the fashion arena. If she had looked more low-key I feel it would have given the press more time to talk about the issue. As for her hair, as other posters have pointed out, she spent more time playing with it than packing boxes.

The coat might work for another event but not this one. I freely admit I feel this way about most of her clothes.

I wonder if that's the same red coat that she wore to Williams's gradation parade a few years ago... The one where both of her parents attended with her.

I think Kate's coat could have been shorter and it would have looked better, but she still looked good; Mary was arguably a little more boring, like she was going to work at a school. But they both looked good imo, Kate just shined a little more. Looks like her standard hairstyle is back again, to the disappointment of us all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom