The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Heir Apparent

I thought the color under Kate's jacket was a blue, but on second look it does seem to be a gray.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Serene Highness

For the gala at the St James palace and this recent one I've noticed that the duke and duchess of Cambridge are sporting a Tudor rose like pin? Is there a reason for this?

Old 11-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
For the gala at the St James palace and this recent one I've noticed that the duke and duchess of Cambridge are sporting a Tudor rose like pin? Is there a reason for this?
They're wearing poppies, to honor those who have fallen in WWI and other wars.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:38 PM
Heir Apparent

I remember seeing war veterans sell these poppies around the U.S. holidays of Memorial Day and Veterans Day, but it's not as prevalent anymore as much as it is in Europe.

In case anyone's interested, here's the link that explains the significance of wearing poppies attributed to the war poem, "In Flanders Field."

In Flanders Field, Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae
Old 11-12-2011, 08:21 PM
Heir Apparent

It's still very popular in Canada as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
I remember seeing war veterans sell these poppies around the U.S. holidays of Memorial Day and Veterans Day, but it's not as prevalent anymore as much as it is in Europe.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for that information; glad to know.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Remembrance at the Cenotaph,
Catherine Duchess Of Cambridge Sings During The Remembrance Day
Camilla Duchess Of Cornwall Catherine Duchess Of Cambridge And Sophie

I'm sorry but, what a failure on the fashion front. She looks hilarious.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:35 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen
Remembrance at the Cenotaph,
Catherine Duchess Of Cambridge Sings During The Remembrance Day
Camilla Duchess Of Cornwall Catherine Duchess Of Cambridge And Sophie

I'm sorry but, what a failure on the fashion front. She looks hilarious.

All 3 of them looks hilarious with their hats. Thot it should be a solemn occasion but why it seems like they are trying to outdo each other with their head gears.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Well, I really like this outfit. I think she looks appropriate and out of the hats she's worn, this one is actually one of my favorites.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:33 AM
Royal Highness

Sorry, I can't appreciate the hilarity. They are all three dressed appropriately for a remembrance service. I admit that Sophie's hat is a little ott ,but their appearance is perfectly in keeping. What would be better headwear -perhaps if they'd all worn flat caps?
Old 11-13-2011, 11:33 AM
Nobility

I love her whole look. Nothing hilarious at all. The Hat is totally appropriate. They are not in a church and her and Camilla have grandfathre and father who faught at war, so they are certainly not disrepectful. They know both of them the etiquette and protocole to adopt better than we do. How can some of you think they know better the way to be dress or to behave? I just dont think they have something in that department to learn from us.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

If anyone looks hilarious, it's Sophie with too many feathers, and to a lesser extent, Camilla. Kate looks well dressed and serious.
Of course the poppies refer to Flanders field and the fallen soldiers of WWI.
That is also the significance of the date, November 11th. of the ending of WWI with the signing of the Armistice. The date was known in the US as Armistice Day for many years, now it's Veterans' Day. In the UK it is known as Remembrance Day and the scope has also been broadened to include those fallen in all wars.
From a practical viewpoint, there are very few WWI vets still alive, but there are some!
Old 11-13-2011, 11:44 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
Of course the poppies refer to Flanders field and the fallen soldiers of WWI.
Actually, today the poppy is a symbol of those who have died for their country since 1914 and is not confined to remember the soldiers of WW1. That is when the poppy first appeared, in America.

Armistice is celebrated on November 11th, but the major remembrance services' across the UK and commonwealth countries are held on the closest Sunday to the 11th. The article on the significance of the poppy.

IMO, Sophie and Camilla looked more appropriate than Catherine's "plonked on" hat and her fashion jacket. I never mentioned that Camilla and Sophie looked inappropriate, Catherine does.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Actually, today the poppy is a symbol of those who have died for their country since 1914 and is not confined to remember the soldiers of WW1. That is when the poppy first appeared, in America.

Armistice is celebrated on November 11th, but the major remembrance services' across the UK and commonwealth countries are held on the closest Sunday to the 11th. The article on the significance of the poppy.
Thank you for another clarification of the date and the poppy. I did mention that it began with WWI and the scope (and even the name in the US) has been broadened to include all vets in both countries.
I was just trying to dispel the comments by a few posters that it began in WWII, an easy misappropriation
Old 11-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Catherine's, Duchess of Cambridge, hat is whimsical and age-appropriate. However, this hat might be viewed as inappropriate for the event. The coat is overloaded with ugly buttons that cheapen the look for me. The makeup does nothing to favour her.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:17 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

I don't see how Kate's "plonked" on hat is any less appropriate than Sophie's sideways hat or Camilla's big feathered. Kate's hat looks fine. Actually, I think all 3 women look appropriate.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:20 PM
Royal Highness

I don't like it. All hats are not the best choice for such a event (Sophie's and Camilla's are too much-flowers,feathers and Kate's is simple ugly and placed in strange way). Her coat looks cheap, especially the buttons. As always loose hair and too much make-up (eyeliner especially).
Old 11-13-2011, 12:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think Kate's hat is a little bit quirky and different while still ticking all the boxes for the solemnity of the event. It's nice to see her trying something new. From what I could see the coat was lovely too.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:23 PM
Heir Apparent

I like the bowler shape of Kate's hat; dashing but solemn at the same time. That spotted piece of material under the knot and the contrasting edging around the bow relieve the starkness of the black just enough. I think the coat is pretty but feel a few less buttons on it would have looked better, and from what I can see of the collar, there seems to be a nice touch of embroidery on it. It's hard to tell because of the copyright splashed across it, but some sort of applique is there.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:40 PM
Nobility

When I saw Kate's hat, I immediately thought of Canada's western frontier culture from the 1800s. Her headgear would fit right in with the Klondike era.

The Queen's hat, meanwhile, is spot on.