The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 5: October 2011 - December 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love her whole look. Nothing hilarious at all. The Hat is totally appropriate. They are not in a church and her and Camilla have grandfathre and father who faught at war, so they are certainly not disrepectful. They know both of them the etiquette and protocole to adopt better than we do. How can some of you think they know better the way to be dress or to behave? I just dont think they have something in that department to learn from us.

If anyone looks hilarious, it's Sophie with too many feathers, and to a lesser extent, Camilla. Kate looks well dressed and serious.
Of course the poppies refer to Flanders field and the fallen soldiers of WWI.
That is also the significance of the date, November 11th. of the ending of WWI with the signing of the Armistice. The date was known in the US as Armistice Day for many years, now it's Veterans' Day. In the UK it is known as Remembrance Day and the scope has also been broadened to include those fallen in all wars.
From a practical viewpoint, there are very few WWI vets still alive, but there are some!

Of course the poppies refer to Flanders field and the fallen soldiers of WWI.

Actually, today the poppy is a symbol of those who have died for their country since 1914 and is not confined to remember the soldiers of WW1. That is when the poppy first appeared, in America.

Armistice is celebrated on November 11th, but the major remembrance services' across the UK and commonwealth countries are held on the closest Sunday to the 11th. The article on the significance of the poppy.

IMO, Sophie and Camilla looked more appropriate than Catherine's "plonked on" hat and her fashion jacket. I never mentioned that Camilla and Sophie looked inappropriate, Catherine does.

Last edited:
Actually, today the poppy is a symbol of those who have died for their country since 1914 and is not confined to remember the soldiers of WW1. That is when the poppy first appeared, in America.

Armistice is celebrated on November 11th, but the major remembrance services' across the UK and commonwealth countries are held on the closest Sunday to the 11th. The article on the significance of the poppy.
Thank you for another clarification of the date and the poppy. I did mention that it began with WWI and the scope (and even the name in the US) has been broadened to include all vets in both countries.
I was just trying to dispel the comments by a few posters that it began in WWII, an easy misappropriation:)

Catherine's, Duchess of Cambridge, hat is whimsical and age-appropriate. However, this hat might be viewed as inappropriate for the event. The coat is overloaded with ugly buttons that cheapen the look for me. The makeup does nothing to favour her.

Last edited:
I don't see how Kate's "plonked" on hat is any less appropriate than Sophie's sideways hat or Camilla's big feathered. Kate's hat looks fine. Actually, I think all 3 women look appropriate.

Last edited:
I don't like it. All hats are not the best choice for such a event (Sophie's and Camilla's are too much-flowers,feathers and Kate's is simple ugly and placed in strange way). Her coat looks cheap, especially the buttons. As always loose hair and too much make-up (eyeliner especially).

I think Kate's hat is a little bit quirky and different while still ticking all the boxes for the solemnity of the event. It's nice to see her trying something new. From what I could see the coat was lovely too.

I like the bowler shape of Kate's hat; dashing but solemn at the same time. That spotted piece of material under the knot and the contrasting edging around the bow relieve the starkness of the black just enough. I think the coat is pretty but feel a few less buttons on it would have looked better, and from what I can see of the collar, there seems to be a nice touch of embroidery on it. It's hard to tell because of the copyright splashed across it, but some sort of applique is there.

When I saw Kate's hat, I immediately thought of Canada's western frontier culture from the 1800s. Her headgear would fit right in with the Klondike era.

The Queen's hat, meanwhile, is spot on.

I don't like it. All hats are not the best choice for such a event (Sophie's and Camilla's are too much-flowers,feathers and Kate's is simple ugly and placed in strange way). Her coat looks cheap, especially the buttons. As always loose hair and too much make-up (eyeliner especially).

Well except for her shoes (which you can't see) you pretty much ransacked everything she has on, including her make-up and hair. :whistling:

I like the bowler shape of Kate's hat; dashing but solemn at the same time. That spotted piece of material under the knot and the contrasting edging around the bow relieve the starkness of the black just enough. I think the coat is pretty but feel a few less buttons on it would have looked better, and from what I can see of the collar, there seems to be a nice touch of embroidery on it. It's hard to tell because of the copyright splashed across it, but some sort of applique is there.

I agree with your analysis. The hat is original, but still appropriate. I don't have any issues with it (or any other hats that were worn by the ladies). The only thing I didn't like about the outfit is the abundance of buttons on her coat (or specifically those two buttons on each side of her chest were not necessary). Love the embroidery on the collar of the coat. Overall, she looks nice, and in keeping with the occasion.

Yes texankitcat, cause I really don't like how she looked today.

I think that she might have been going for a "military" look.

The only thing I didn't like about the outfit is the abundance of buttons on her coat (or specifically those two buttons on each side of her chest were not necessary). Love the embroidery on the collar of the coat. Overall, she looks nice, and in keeping with the occasion.

I didn't like Catherine's hat at first, but it's growing on me. And I actually like the coat a lot.

I liked Sophie's hat the most; perhaps it would have been more appropriate if it had been black yet I can understand if she desired to have some kind of color. There is definitely something off about Kate's hat, I don't know if it's too small or what; but with the hat, coat, and makeup I have to give Kate a miss.

Remembrance at the Cenotaph,
Catherine Duchess Of Cambridge Sings During The Remembrance Day
Camilla Duchess Of Cornwall Catherine Duchess Of Cambridge And Sophie

I'm sorry but, what a failure on the fashion front. She looks hilarious.
Harsh but unfortunately true.

What can you say about that odd shaped and coloured hat? It's just sort of plonked there and at a very odd angle. It does not flatter her one little bit. Worse, it looked weird, neither fish nor fowl and the hair hanging straight down just made it look crooked instead of dashing!

Now the hat she wore to William's Passing Out Parade was what I call "A Hat", and it was really flattering. Like Mary, the bigger hats with wider brims suit her and give her a certain "je ne sais quoi".

The coat looked cheap and ill fitting and somehow clashed, style wise, with the hat! Once again, the coat she wore with the above mentioned hat and that worn in Copenhagen were both more elegant and substantial. Something along those lines, in black, would have looked more "Catherine".

Make-up? As usual, too heavy, almost comical, or did she just look surprised all the time?

The makeup just seems to get worse. The hair isn't great but it's not as bad as the makeup. I don't like the hat but I really think the makeup makes it look like fancy dress. It's a pity she doesn't go with a more natural look.

I think this is the first time that Catherine's eye make-up has bothered me - normally of course it wouldn't! But wearing a black outfit and hat accentuated the eye liner. I do hope we do not have another Duchess of Windsor on our hands - I recall her make-up was rather severe at times!

With regard to Catherine's hat, I do rather like it because it has rather a 1940's feel to it.

I would have liked it had Catherine worn her hair up, but overall I liked the outfit. Her coat looked lovely.

I think this is the first time that Catherine's eye make-up has bothered me - normally of course it wouldn't! But wearing a black outfit and hat accentuated the eye liner. I do hope we do not have another Duchess of Windsor on our hands - I recall her make-up was rather severe at times!

With regard to Catherine's hat, I do rather like it because it has rather a 1940's feel to it.

I think you nailed it about the eyeliner; unfortunately all that black did accentuate the heavy application and it was very noticeable and severe this time. I, too, liked the hat, though.

Last edited:
I think the idea that wearing your hair down can be 'inappropriate' is utterly absurd. Unless one is in a laboratory for example where for hygiene reasons hair should be tied back (and covered) we should all be able to wear our hair any way we God damn please.

Do you really think cursing is appropriate? I know I don't appreciate it. How is it that one can get into such a tiz about someone else's hair???

It's taken a few days, but I genuinely like Kate's hat now. I was very unsure of it at first- it looked a bit silly to me- but now that I've had a few days to appreciate it, I think it was a perfect choice.

She had to strike a correct balance- she didn't want to wear a small, frilly fascinator because that would look like she wasn't taking the occasion seriously enough. The Countess's hat has already been criticized on those lines, but Sophie has been a royal for a long time now and she's no longer the center of attention- she can afford to make a few less than perfect choices every now and again. She also would have looked quite severe in a heavier black hat, like the ones worn by the Queen and the Duchess of Cornwall. They would have aged her.

The one she ended up choosing looks young enough for her, but somber enough for the occasion, and she looks like a true lady in the pictures from the day. The only thing I would change about the whole look at this point is the two extra buttons on her coat- the ones that are just under her poppy pin. I think they make the coat look too busy, but I like it a lot other than that one small criticism.

And I actually think her makeup is getting better. It's still heavy, but she was up on a balcony and being photographed from quite a distance- she needed to wear "stage" type makeup to look right to the crowds and from a distance. I think we'll see her makeup gradually get less severe- she does her own right now, but I bet she'll continue to seek advice from makeup artists and she'll get better at doing it.

When I saw Kate's hat, I immediately thought of Canada's western frontier culture from the 1800s. Her headgear would fit right in with the Klondike era.

It reminds me of a painting by Gainsborough; that sort of fashion hat from that era.

:previous:Thanks for jogging my memory; the hat looks almost like the style of that era a lady would wear with a riding habit, although with a long veil and without that stylized bow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom