The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Aristocracy

I wouldn't say tacky... I was thinking... LOUD!!!

so loud my ears are ringing. catherine always looks great but she sticks out way too much here.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:05 PM
Courtier

Weeell I don't know what to say about her outfit. The belt is horrible but at least for once she chose the right shade of red with a blue undertone and not with that horrible orange touch she prefers. Her hair is perfect as always but I really think Kate is too overdressed for the occasion. A ponytail with a blazer and jeans would have been better. What's more when I look at her she looks somewhat tired, her eyebrows are too dark as always and I really think she is under certain conditions .... I somehow have the impression when I look at her ;-)

Old 11-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetiger View Post
I wouldn't say tacky... I was thinking... LOUD!!!

so loud my ears are ringing. catherine always looks great but she sticks out way too much here.
Loud would be Frederik's suit. Was that a blue crushed velvet suit he was wearing?

I don't think Kate's outfit was inappropriate. The men were wearing suits, so I don't see how she was overdressed.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
I think the coat would have looked better above her knees. The belt also Would have looked better thinner like on the model. The thick material of her coat was also overwhelming. Few alterations though and it would look more flattering on her.

I agree with another poster who suggested Mary and Kate should have worn jeans, a UNICEF shirt, blazer and their hair up. Maybe then they both would have looked less awkward to me.
Sorry, I just don't agree with this. Jeans, shirt and blazer DO NOT, IMO go well with hair up.

I think both ladies looked terrific. Oh, for the days when I could have worn a belted coat and looked like that. Only a slender person can wear a belted coat and heavier fabric without looking like a stuffed sausage.

Exccept for being boots, I do not see that Kate's "stilettoes" are any different than Mary's "stilettoes".
Old 11-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent

I thought both ladies looked fine as well, each in their own way.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Majesty

She'll never make everyone happy. Like so many stated here before me, she looked great. It wasn't loud, or tacky, but classy and lady-like. Her playing with her hair seems to be a nervous habit, and I think she was a little nervous. It's not a crime. Let's cut her a little bit of slack. She's doing a great job.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
Her playing with her hair seems to be a nervous habit, and I think she was a little nervous. It's not a crime.
I agree that "playing with her hair" is a nervous habit but that is not what I am talking about.

In all the video shots she is incessantly playing with her hair and then when she has to actually move around, well then it gets really interesting. Tuck, shove, hold, someone speaks to he so she is shoving it back off her face to look at them, trying to tuck it behind her ears as every time she looks down, as she did when she was being instructed how to pack a box, it falls over her face and gets tangled, bending down to talk to a child she has to hold her hair back.

No, it is not a crime but let's face it. Her hair just gets in the way and distracts from the business at hand. Let her save the whole mega coiffured tumbling curls for private or for occasions where she just has to arrive and take a seat.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
Sorry, I just don't agree with this. Jeans, shirt and blazer DO NOT, IMO go well with hair up.

I think both ladies looked terrific. Oh, for the days when I could have worn a belted coat and looked like that. Only a slender person can wear a belted coat and heavier fabric without looking like a stuffed sausage.

Exccept for being boots, I do not see that Kate's "stilettoes" are any different than Mary's "stilettoes".
It was just a suggestion since I felt that she was too "look at me.". With a brand new outfit the press will love to talk about how she continues to "excel" in the fashion arena. If she had looked more low-key I feel it would have given the press more time to talk about the issue. As for her hair, as other posters have pointed out, she spent more time playing with it than packing boxes.

The coat might work for another event but not this one. I freely admit I feel this way about most of her clothes.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wonder if that's the same red coat that she wore to Williams's gradation parade a few years ago... The one where both of her parents attended with her.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think Kate's coat could have been shorter and it would have looked better, but she still looked good; Mary was arguably a little more boring, like she was going to work at a school. But they both looked good imo, Kate just shined a little more. Looks like her standard hairstyle is back again, to the disappointment of us all.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 11-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
I wonder if that's the same red coat that she wore to Williams's gradation parade a few years ago... The one where both of her parents attended with her.
It's a new coat from LK Bennet. Other colors are still available on their site. The red coat sold out today.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
I think the coat would have looked better above her knees. The belt also Would have looked better thinner like on the model. The thick material of her coat was also overwhelming. Few alterations though and it would look more flattering on her.

I agree with another poster who suggested Mary and Kate should have worn jeans, a UNICEF shirt, blazer and their hair up. Maybe then they both would have looked less awkward to me.
William and Frederick were wearing suits. Why the heck would their wives wear jeans and a blazer?

Update, Mary's shirt under her jacket looks rather nice. Seeing more pictures I get a better appreciation for her wardrobe choice.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 11-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Heir Apparent

I thought that Kate looked great. The coat was simple in design, and she's slim enough to wear a belt like that. The boots were fine with me. As for the hair, I'd wear my hair down as well if there had just been a big deal made over my "scar."
Old 11-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Heir Apparent

After all that hoopla over the scar, I'd probably want to wear my hair down for awhile as well! Let's hope Kate goes back to the half-up, half-down style that flatters her so well and keeps the hair away from her face.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I think Kate's coat could have been shorter and it would have looked better, but she still looked good; Mary was arguably a little more boring, like she was going to work at a school. But they both looked good imo, Kate just shined a little more. Looks like her standard hairstyle is back again, to the disappointment of us all.
I actually preferred Mary's look a little bit- she looks a little more comfortable in her own skin if that makes sense. Kate's still just a touch self-conscious. But that's understandable! Mary's had several years to get used to the royal spotlight, and Kate's still learning.

They both looked lovely.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:26 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

I don't like the red coat, I thought it was quite long and that was one hideous belt IMO. The hair was messy, it was all over the place, not practical for such an event, a ponytail or hair pulled in a simple bun would've worked. Also with the high collar of the coat she needed hair up.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:29 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I thought that Kate looked great. The coat was simple in design, and she's slim enough to wear a belt like that. The boots were fine with me. As for the hair, I'd wear my hair down as well if there had just been a big deal made over my "scar."
Completely agree!
I loved Catherine's coat so much!
Old 11-03-2011, 02:32 AM
Royal Highness

On wearing stilletto-boots Catherine towered over her host - seems a bit unpolite to me.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:38 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
No, it is not a crime but let's face it. Her hair just gets in the way and distracts from the business at hand. Let her save the whole mega coiffured tumbling curls for private or for occasions where she just has to arrive and take a seat.
Agreed! For the most part, I really like how Kate dresses. I think she looked absolutely fine today. But..the hair..it kills me. (So does her make-up but that's another story) As soon as I saw what she looked like and saw her hair I just groaned. For me it's not so much that it is "coiffured" - in my opinion it looks rather terrible curled like that anyway - it's that she is always changing the original styling by putting it behind her ears when it falls in her face! It's so distracting.

I loved her hair at the engagement photocall and when she wears it half up half down. Otherwise, I feel it seriously detracts from the rest of her look. [Gosh, I'm just full of snark right now.]
Old 11-03-2011, 06:17 AM
Courtier

I think Kate looked absolutely lovely as did Mary. Both ladies dressed in a way that suited their own personal character. I just lovely Kate's coat and belt. So incredibly chic and elegant with the boots. The belt lifted what would have been just a simple red coat. Agreed, the event was not a fashion affair, however I am certain both ladies knew that they would be in the limelight, facing numerous cameras with publicity and therfore dressed accordingly. Both William and Frederik were in suits, so the ladies were definitely not overdressed. As for Kates stiletto boots, well they were just as lovely as Mary's stiletto shoes. I do think both couples came accross wonderfully.