The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #281  
Old 11-30-2011, 02:58 PM
dazzling's Avatar
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: -, France
Posts: 17,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post

And honestly, I don't get the Kate is buying too many clothes. Who didn't know this was goin to happen? Her life style as Kate Middleton and the Duchess of Cambridge are VASTLY different. One assumes that in 2012 she will be undertaking more public engagements and will need an extensive wardrobe. She already wears things more than once. In fact, I can't think of any lady in the BRF (past or present) who didn't have an extensive wardrobe that they constantly pulled things out from.
Many forget that as her new role she will need a different wardrobe for official events, one she did not have before becoming the Duchess.
__________________

  #282  
Old 11-30-2011, 03:35 PM
KittyAtlanta's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KittyLand Junction, United States
Posts: 2,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
This is clearly a difficult call because at the end of the day if someone is prepared to pay such a price for such a dress then the label is always going to design and sell such dresses at such prices. Maybe she'll pass it on to the Princess Royal?! Maybe she looks to Anne for style advice?! LOL!!!
Who knows, if the style becomes popular, it may be all that's available to buy for a couple of years!

A few months back, I seem to remember another dress she wore one evening that I described as being Krystal Carrington Pink. There must be some quirk of Catherine's nature that makes her like the style.
Do you think Kate is being used to sell slow moving items?
__________________

__________________
  #283  
Old 11-30-2011, 05:36 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 2,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
Since when is there an obligation to feed poor people rather than buy a dress? I'm always surprised to see people decide for others what "too much money is." I'm certain that whatever each of us is paying for internet access would feed a child in Sierra Leone for a month or more.
You are so right, Princess Kaimi!
I remember during the Charles/Diana wedding, a female reporter was talking about it, and her male colleague sneered that the money could be better spent to help world hunger, etc.
And she told him he was so right- and so could all the money spent on the Superbowl, which costs a lot more! That put him in his place very quickly!

But really I don't see how anyone could fault Kate about recycling her clothes, she's wearing lots of things we've seen before.
__________________
  #284  
Old 11-30-2011, 06:06 PM
4Pam's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 2,728
Not a fan of the dress.
__________________
Absence is, in my opinion, important to find out whether something in your life is meaningful and important! It may be difficult to endure, but the end result is always revealing.
  #285  
Old 11-30-2011, 09:41 PM
Frelinghighness's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New England, United States
Posts: 2,310
Just goes to show, money does not equal style.
__________________
  #286  
Old 11-30-2011, 10:11 PM
PrincessKaimi's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hilo, Malibu, United States
Posts: 1,319
Not sure what various people mean by "style." If it's not to your taste, that's fine. But to imply the Duchess doesn't have style is odd, to me. She displays a distinctive way of dressing (style) with virtually no flash, and hardly any "look at me" factor, it's modest, understated. She doesn't seem to have pet designers or themes - to me, that's a plus.

She dresses the way many working women dress, and without attempting to show others up or show herself off. Sure, she could hire a stylist (cost even more money), but the more i see of her, the more i'm sure she is comfortable in her clothes - which is crucial to truly looking stylish.

Would I emulate her? No - and that's a good thing! My life is rather different in almost every way (different climate, different job, different age, different tastes).
__________________
  #287  
Old 11-30-2011, 11:06 PM
Royal Newbie's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northern California, United States
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi
Not sure what various people mean by "style." If it's not to your taste, that's fine. But to imply the Duchess doesn't have style is odd, to me. She displays a distinctive way of dressing (style) with virtually no flash, and hardly any "look at me" factor, it's modest, understated. She doesn't seem to have pet designers or themes - to me, that's a plus.

She dresses the way many working women dress, and without attempting to show others up or show herself off. Sure, she could hire a stylist (cost even more money), but the more i see of her, the more i'm sure she is comfortable in her clothes - which is crucial to truly looking stylish.

Would I emulate her? No - and that's a good thing! My life is rather different in almost every way (different climate, different job, different age, different tastes).
An excellent post PrincessKaimi. I whole heartedly agree.
__________________
  #288  
Old 12-01-2011, 12:00 AM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,108
Thank goodness she wore the collar open!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
__________________
  #289  
Old 12-01-2011, 01:39 AM
MARG's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 3,579
Firstly, love it or hate it, Catherine certainly has an emerging "style". Personally I am not a fan as I think the style she favours is too linear and featureless. It lacks flair and originality to the degree that basically, she could merge with the wallpaper!

Absolutely not my style, but it is hers and the second point that is constantly being raised is cost. Catherine is a "starter" royal wife and as such has a need for multiple day dresses and suits rather that the considerably less than most of us would need or require. That she spends good money on what many think is stodgy and boring is beside the point. We have certain expectations from our royals and I don't think Catherine quite "gets" that yet.

I personally do not want to see her wearing something that I can afford to wear. I am a snob and I want to see her wearing the sort of terrific clothes that I would love to wear. Clothes that flatter her and showcase British or even Commonwealth fashion (and yes I would love for her to wear some really gorgeous European numbers).

Mostly I want to see her looking like a Duchess and not a housewife!
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #290  
Old 12-01-2011, 01:48 AM
Jacknch's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Grundisburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Do you think Kate is being used to sell slow moving items?
Well, I suppose it depends on how the system works: do designers simply send her things to try before she buys; do they give her dresses as a thank you for previous purchases or does she simply look on-line/visit the shops and choose solely for herself? In the first instance, they could send her a dress and she may feel obliged to wear it but she should be prudent enough to send such items back on the understanding that she cannot accept freebies.
An alternative is that designers these days have run out of ideas, simply recreate ghastly fashions from years ago and hope for the best that someone like Catherine will buy them, wear them and boost sales.

With regard to cost, I was thinking last night what proportion of someone's income might be spent on clothes. Someone rich could easily spend a couple of grand on one dress, yet it might equate to a small percentage of their monthly income. Someone less well-off might only spent £50, yet may well be spending a higher percentage of their income. Not sure if that helps anyone understand how so much could be spent on a single item.
__________________
J
  #291  
Old 12-01-2011, 01:54 AM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 1,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Do you think Kate is being used to sell slow moving items?
I'd be very surprised if that were the case. I doubt she's taking designer freebies, and I'm sure she's even being careful about taking big discounts. The palace has been remarkably careful about how they've introduced her to her role- they've seen how ugly it can get, and this time around they've anticipated intense media scrutiny, which they were unprepared for in the days of Diana and Sarah Ferguson.

I'm sure she picks things she likes, and that she feels comfortable in. And I actually saw some commentary that her dress was a bit of a sly joke at the reporters present, with its "Peace and Love" theme
__________________
  #292  
Old 12-01-2011, 04:39 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Can't post a source, but the source is somewhere on this board.
The source is everywhere out there, lots of claims of being "normal" (no servants, doing shopping themselves, husband & wife life, not wanting a big wedding if they had had it their way etc etc) partly confirmed by the royal house (the servants part), yet the clothing bill, hairdresser bill or kind of vacation they have doesnt really fit in.

Back to fashion - completely agree with agami.pearl and Lmarch.

Its ok to build a classic wardrobe for many years to come and the items can well be expensive (coats, gala dresses). But why a dowdy and frumpy bilious green fashion - not classic - dress has to cost a fortune for everyone to see in such times is beyond me.
__________________
  #293  
Old 12-01-2011, 05:48 AM
muriel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Well, I suppose it depends on how the system works: do designers simply send her things to try before she buys; do they give her dresses as a thank you for previous purchases or does she simply look on-line/visit the shops and choose solely for herself? In the first instance, they could send her a dress and she may feel obliged to wear it but she should be prudent enough to send such items back on the understanding that she cannot accept freebies.
An alternative is that designers these days have run out of ideas, simply recreate ghastly fashions from years ago and hope for the best that someone like Catherine will buy them, wear them and boost sales.

With regard to cost, I was thinking last night what proportion of someone's income might be spent on clothes. Someone rich could easily spend a couple of grand on one dress, yet it might equate to a small percentage of their monthly income. Someone less well-off might only spent £50, yet may well be spending a higher percentage of their income. Not sure if that helps anyone understand how so much could be spent on a single item.
My understanding from somebody in the know in the fashion world is that designers do from time to time send items of clothing / accessories to SJP. If Catherine likes any of them, she keeps them, the others are returned with a thank you note. The items kept are pais for by the office. She does not accept any freebies at all.
__________________
  #294  
Old 12-01-2011, 07:48 AM
agami.pearl's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: -, Poland
Posts: 1,802
IMO instead spending money on matronly dress she should hire make-up artist, maybe it would be the end of horrid make-up.
__________________
  #295  
Old 12-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Francisco, United States
Posts: 2,013
There is so much discussion about how terrible Catherine looked but are there any full length pictures of her? All I can find are head and shoulder shots.
__________________
  #296  
Old 12-01-2011, 09:45 AM
miche's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 515
They never said they were normal, not even by the palace. All the said was that they wouldn't have full time servants while the were in Wales. Nothing was ever said about servants when in London. The only place were normal came up was the newspaper that proclaimed that the no servant meant they were modern and normal. And as usual they gave credit to Diana.
__________________
  #297  
Old 12-01-2011, 09:46 AM
miche's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
There is so much discussion about how terrible Catherine looked but are there any full length pictures of her? All I can find are head and shoulder shots.
No, we got full length pictures of everyone except for William and Catherine
__________________
  #298  
Old 12-01-2011, 10:50 AM
muriel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
They never said they were normal, not even by the palace. All the said was that they wouldn't have full time servants while the were in Wales. Nothing was ever said about servants when in London. The only place were normal came up was the newspaper that proclaimed that the no servant meant they were modern and normal. And as usual they gave credit to Diana.
I agree with you.

However, a few posts or stories in the tabloids can end up picking up a life of their own, and often get restated as statements of fact (which they clearly are not). What is even more amusing is when posters are aggrieved as members of the BRF do not follow these "facts" in real life.
__________________
  #299  
Old 12-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Baroness of Books's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bookstacks, United States
Posts: 5,593
Of course Will and Kate are normal! They only have full-time servants in one household as opposed to two!!
__________________
  #300  
Old 12-01-2011, 12:36 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 6,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Of course Will and Kate are normal! They only have full-time servants in one household as opposed to two!!
Love it .
__________________

__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crown Princess Victoria's Daytime Fashion Part 5: May 2011 - June 2012 dazzling Archives 392 06-04-2012 02:20 AM
Queen Rania's Daytime Fashion part 9: January 2011 - January 2012 dazzling Archives 387 01-12-2012 06:54 AM
Crown Princess Mary's Daytime Fashion Part 13: August 2011 - November 2011 dazzling Archives 386 11-04-2011 08:30 AM
Crown Princess Victoria's Daytime Fashion Part 4: October 2010 - May 2011 iceflower Archives 391 05-08-2011 03:22 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth birthday bourbon-parma camilla chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria danish royals engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri habsburg hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume hohenzollern infanta elena king abdullah king abdullah ii king albert ii king carl xvi gustav king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander norway palace picture thread pom pregnancy prince constantijn prince felipe prince felix prince frederik prince henrik prince joachim prince laurent princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess annette princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess haya princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess marie princess marilene princess mary princess maxima queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sheikh state visit wedding willem-alexander william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:35 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]