The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:03 PM
Serene Highness

Since when is there an obligation to feed poor people rather than buy a dress? I'm always surprised to see people decide for others what "too much money is." I'm certain that whatever each of us is paying for internet access would feed a child in Sierra Leone for a month or more.

This forum is, after all, about royalty - and royalty costs money. It always has, always will and it has its totemic purpose to serve, which is why I like watching what they do. I also give money to various charities - but I believe it's up to each person to decide about such matters.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:08 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Don't like the outfit, nor the colour. I think she looked incredibly old at this occasion.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:36 AM
Courtier

The color is yukky!!
Old 11-30-2011, 05:54 AM
Heir Apparent

I am a little dissappointed that these days Catherine appears to be spending an awful lot on her royal wardrode. I suspect it is early days and she is probably building a "collection" from which she can pick and choose in time. That said, I really would like to see her wear a lot more "affordable" luxury than pure top end brands. I would also like to see her reuse a lot more of her clothes in public. We live in difficult times, and I think a bit of public symbolism will go a long way.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:26 AM
Nobility

There are plenty of other European princesses that spend much, much more on their wardrobe than the Duchess. Propably she is given a certain amount of money each month determined by the Prince of Wales to spend on clothes and beauty salon and I am sure she stays within that limit. It is pretty clear that when in private she wears over and over again the same clothes that she had before getting married. And she has first to build up her royal wardrobe before repeating items. But again, this is my opinion and it is not as relevant as one of a UK ciizen.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I am a little dissappointed that these days Catherine appears to be spending an awful lot on her royal wardrode. I suspect it is early days and she is probably building a "collection" from which she can pick and choose in time. That said, I really would like to see her wear a lot more "affordable" luxury than pure top end brands. I would also like to see her reuse a lot more of her clothes in public. We live in difficult times, and I think a bit of public symbolism will go a long way.
Kate not only wears 'affordable' luxury, she often wears high street brands - Topshop, Zara, Reiss etc. In fact she's been criticised by the fashion establishment in this country for wearing high street brands too much.

It seems to me that she's more or less striking the right balance. If some people are saying she wears too much designer gear and others are saying she's wearing too much high street fashion, that tells me that she's just about getting it right.

I have no doubt that this dress will be re-worn several times. Kate has already shown that she has no issue in recycling outfits (and gets criticised by posters on this forum when she does so). No-one comments on the fact that William was probably wearing an ensemble that cost upwards of £4-5k. Prince Charles has been known to favour hand made Jermyn St shoes that cost £3k per pair. But they're worn many times over many years and work out as a good deal. I have no doubt the same will be the case for this Mulberry dress.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:53 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmarch View Post
www.whatkatewore.com says this is a $2200 Mulberry dress. Seriously? For a shirt dress that looks like something my mother would have worn back in the 1970's? Come on Kate!!!!
Are you kidding - to me it looks like a leftover of some of the shiny outfits Princess Margret used to wear, what else can I say.

I agree with those who think that Kate looks incredibly old for her age, her quasi-peers (current CPs) are 10 years older but most of them look younger and none of them uses such harsh and almost clownish makeup. Quite astonishing for somebody with a light-lightweight workload, lots of servants on hand and no kids as yet.

Worse to come, thats for sure.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Kate not only wears 'affordable' luxury, she often wears high street brands - Topshop, Zara, Reiss etc. In fact she's been criticised by the fashion establishment in this country for wearing high street brands too much.

It seems to me that she's more or less striking the right balance. If some people are saying she wears too much designer gear and others are saying she's wearing too much high street fashion, that tells me that she's just about getting it right.

I have no doubt that this dress will be re-worn several times. Kate has already shown that she has no issue in recycling outfits (and gets criticised by posters on this forum when she does so). No-one comments on the fact that William was probably wearing an ensemble that cost upwards of £4-5k. Prince Charles has been known to favour hand made Jermyn St shoes that cost £3k per pair. But they're worn many times over many years and work out as a good deal. I have no doubt the same will be the case for this Mulberry dress.
Agree!!! I do not think that they are sooo many other CPs wearing unworn dresses bought on sales years ago!
Or wearing so proudly Zara or Topshop! The only one is CP Letizia, but she is promoting Spanish brands (Zara, Mango). I do not think she wears tons of H&M (Swedish).
After all, she is a Princess and one day she will be Queen of England.
Her uselesses cousins (Eugenie+Beatrice) are spending more and more, to be nothing.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Are you kidding - to me it looks like a leftover of some of the shiny outfits Princess Margret used to wear, what else can I say.

I agree with those who think that Kate looks incredibly old for her age, her quasi-peers (current CPs) are 10 years older but most of them look younger and none of them uses such harsh and almost clownish makeup. Quite astonishing for somebody with a light-lightweight workload, lots of servants on hand and no kids as yet.

Worse to come, thats for sure.
See below: Shirt dresses of the type Catherine wore are very fashionable at the moment.

Amalia2 Dress Grey L.K.Bennett
Old 11-30-2011, 10:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbruno View Post
There are plenty of other European princesses that spend much, much more on their wardrobe than the Duchess. Propably she is given a certain amount of money each month determined by the Prince of Wales to spend on clothes and beauty salon and I am sure she stays within that limit. It is pretty clear that when in private she wears over and over again the same clothes that she had before getting married. And she has first to build up her royal wardrobe before repeating items. But again, this is my opinion and it is not as relevant as one of a UK ciizen.
Yes, but I haven't heard Maxima or M-M or any other royal woman who constantly says she and her husband are "normal", then turns up in a BPS2,200 rag.

Also, Kate is not a CP. If that title is used, it is Camilla's.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:33 AM
Royal Highness

This dress coasts Ł175, Kate wore old-fashioned frock 10 times more expensive. Other princesses has a lot of designers outfits but they're working much more than Kate.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Although I understand and even appreciate the way Catherine dresses, I agree with Duke of Marmalade - this green dress really could have seen the light after many years of beeing stored in one of Princess Margareth's old trunks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Yes, but I haven't heard Maxima or M-M or any other royal woman who constantly says she and her husband are "normal", then turns up in a BPS2,200 rag.

Also, Kate is not a CP. If that title is used, it is Camilla's.
There are European princesses other than the Crown Princesses. For instance, Beatriz and Eugenie.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Are you sure you have heard Kate make that comment, or is this something the tabloids have put out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by agami.pearl View Post
This dress coasts Ł175, Kate wore old-fashioned frock 10 times more expensive. Other princesses has a lot of designers outfits but they're working much more than Kate.
The Mulberry dress is a similar concept to the LK Bennett dress - the brands are positioned quite differently, and hence the difference in price.

Is your issue with the style of the dress, or its price?
Old 11-30-2011, 12:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Can't post a source, but the source is somewhere on this board.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Can't post a source, but the source is somewhere on this board.
Its very easy for us to confuse what one may read on TRF or a tabloid and what might be a statement of fact. Given how little members of the BRF say to the press, I would be surprised that this is something Kate has herself said to the Press.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
You hit the nail right on the head

I can't believe how some beautiful young women like Kate and Charlene can put on clothes that could belong to their great grandmother (Charlene's dress at National day at the opera)
Old 11-30-2011, 01:02 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smush View Post
You hit the nail right on the head

I can't believe how some beautiful young women like Kate and Charlene can put on clothes that could belong to their great grandmother (Charlene's dress at National day at the opera)
Given that this is such an old style that was worn frequently by our mothers and grandmothers back in the day, and the simplicity of it...I find it really hard to believe that there is $2200 worth of so called "designer brainpower or workmanship" in that dress. My opinion, makes her look old and dowdy. She looks dowdier than older members of the royal family. I don't care how on trend it is.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
The Mulberry dress is a similar concept to the LK Bennett dress - the brands are positioned quite differently, and hence the difference in price.

Is your issue with the style of the dress, or its price?
More with price, it's just ridiculously expensive dress. I know sometimes things are overpriced but it's just unbelievable. I would forgive Kate to spend money on some classic piece like coats, bags, suits. But this dress in will totally forgotten in few months, unless she will be like P Anne and will wear it at her child's wedding or grandchildren's christening.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Considering that Kate has shown that she will rewear a dress from five years ago, I think we can assume that we might see the dress again. So if she wears it five times thats how much per appearance? That about works itself out.

And honestly, I don't get the Kate is buying too many clothes. Who didn't know this was goin to happen? Her life style as Kate Middleton and the Duchess of Cambridge are VASTLY different. One assumes that in 2012 she will be undertaking more public engagements and will need an extensive wardrobe. She already wears things more than once. In fact, I can't think of any lady in the BRF (past or present) who didn't have an extensive wardrobe that they constantly pulled things out from.

Anne is just the best known IMO. I mean, heck, wearing the dress you wore to your brothers 1981 wedding thirty years later? I am jealous that she could still fit it!

ETA: In regards to the normal quote...I believe its the idea that William and Catherine aren't full time royals as of yet, and I have heard them say that they would like to live as normal as life as possible. Key word as possible. I didn't add as possible, I recall someone saying that. They know they are not normal but they would like to do some things that many of us take for granted.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:18 PM
Royal Highness

This is clearly a difficult call because at the end of the day if someone is prepared to pay such a price for such a dress then the label is always going to design and sell such dresses at such prices. Maybe she'll pass it on to the Princess Royal?! Maybe she looks to Anne for style advice?! LOL!!!
Who knows, if the style becomes popular, it may be all that's available to buy for a couple of years!

A few months back, I seem to remember another dress she wore one evening that I described as being Krystal Carrington Pink. There must be some quirk of Catherine's nature that makes her like the style.