The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 11:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

I don't like the dress or the colour on her or anyone else for that matter. I t is boring and honestly she can manage something better, if she must do this let it be in or for a private occasion YUK!!

Old 11-29-2011, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Catherine Duchess Of Cambridge Meets Guests During A

Catherine in a lovely green Mulberry dress at the BP reception for the Press last night.
Lovely shade of green but such a pity that she is in a dress ideal for daytime and not evening.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Aristocracy

I really do like the girl but somedays even I have to admit her outfit(s) are very boring for such a young lady. Is it just me or is she getting more and more conservative as the months go by?
Old 11-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Over on the British Royal Family thread, there are photos of some of the guests, too. The women aren't dressed up either, so it seems to have been a function that was after 5, but neither formal nor semi-formal. Fiona Bruce is wearing a knit tunic and tights and boots.

This is Kate's daytime fashion thread isn't it?

I do like the cut/style (what I could see of it) of Kate's frock, very classic. However, that color is (or photographs) really garish.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Royal Highness

Hard to say something about this dress cause I haven't seen full photos (and I'm not sure if I will). On the model looks ok, but very easy can make person look matronly and older than is. Kate's look matronly IMO. She should stay with classic outfits. Color is 'interesting' but not my favorite, very bright and this shade of green...I'm not sure. Lay down the blush Kate, however it could look good in mirror doesn't look good on photos.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Gentry

Kate's green dress

www.whatkatewore.com says this is a $2200 Mulberry dress. Seriously? For a shirt dress that looks like something my mother would have worn back in the 1970's? Come on Kate!!!!
Old 11-29-2011, 01:44 PM
Royal Highness

Yep, price of 'vintage look'.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by agami.pearl View Post
Hard to say something about this dress cause I haven't seen full photos (and I'm not sure if I will). On the model looks ok, but very easy can make person look matronly and older than is. Kate's look matronly IMO. She should stay with classic outfits. Color is 'interesting' but not my favorite, very bright and this shade of green...I'm not sure. Lay down the blush Kate, however it could look good in mirror doesn't look good on photos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmarch View Post
www.whatkatewore.com says this is a $2200 Mulberry dress. Seriously? For a shirt dress that looks like something my mother would have worn back in the 1970's? Come on Kate!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by agami.pearl View Post
Yep, price of 'vintage look'.
These shirt dresses are very fashionable this autumn. LK Bennett have some very nice ones as well, though at a much more reasonable price point.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Royal Highness

I hope she'll wore it again and again and again. Otherwise it will be waste of money.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Majesty

I love the color of the dress (brings to mind the shade they use for the skin color of the main character in 'Wicked'). Catherine looks good in the shade too. I can't say too much on the dress itself, because I can't see the full picture of the look on Catherine. It looks OK on the model, but nothing special.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

you must be kidding this dress is awfull and at that price!!!! crazy!!!!!
Old 11-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

I fail to see how anyone can judge given that the most we saw of the dress on Kate were the tops of her shoulders! Dresses always look one way when worn by skeletal models and completely different when worn in real life situations.

The price of the dress is not extreme by any means. I got shouted down for remarking on the fact that the Queen of Bhutan was carrying round a bag worth at least £10k, so £1.4k is practically a bargain.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:04 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I fail to see how anyone can judge given that the most we saw of the dress on Kate were the tops of her shoulders! Dresses always look one way when worn by skeletal models and completely different when worn in real life situations.

The price of the dress is not extreme by any means. I got shouted down for remarking on the fact that the Queen of Bhutan was carrying round a bag worth at least £10k, so £1.4k is practically a bargain.
In this economy all over the world, yes, the price is extreme. Granted I am fairly sure that this was probably donated to her by a designer in the hopes that she would wear it for the cameras. How many poor people could be fed on $2200? I am judging based on the appearance of the dress on and off the model. See www.whatkatewore.com. It is a shirt dress people. She really does need a stylist. The queen looked oh so much better at this reception.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Heir Apparent

I also am judging the dress by how it looks on the model since we see so little a view of Kate, and I too find it wanting for that amount of money. I don't care for the style at all; it looks very dowdy and matronly on the model and I'm making an educated guess that it would look the same way on Kate as well. The color is OK, too, though the description of cabbage kind of puts me off.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:52 PM
Royal Highness

This green day dress is likely to be worn a number of times and in terms of wearing something of good quality that will last and be accessorised in different ways I would say for a royal duchess it was money well spent. Whether Mulberry ought to be selling dresses at that price in the first place is quite another matter. As for the Queen of Bhutan's £10,000/dollar handbag I had no idea that something you put your carkeys and hankie in could cost so much and feel rather giddy at the prospect. Thank God I'm a man!
Old 11-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

All prices are relative to how much one has to spend. As far as recycling this green dress with accessories, well I've been thinking about it and 1) Kate does not appear to accessorize and 2) I can't think what would work with it. Some people will come up with stuff, but I have few clothes myself and rely on accessories for variety. It's the color...not, the actual garment.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
As for the Queen of Bhutan's £10,000/dollar handbag I had no idea that something you put your carkeys and hankie in could cost so much and feel rather giddy at the prospect. Thank God I'm a man!

Don't talk to me about men and handbags! They always say something like that, and then when you're going someplace it's "Oh, could you carry my...(sunglasses, theatre tickets, car keys, pills, cigarettes)...just fill in the blank!
Old 11-29-2011, 07:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Took the words right out of my mouth! And let me tell you, a lot of men are certainly into high-end name products as well!

And, KittyAtlanta, you're correct about accessories and the role they play in elevating a certain look into something extra special. I don't know if even a long necklace would have worked with that buttoned neckline. And here's another view of the dress on Kate:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-UBhWNonTk-...-844535751.jpg
Old 11-29-2011, 07:41 PM
Royal Highness

Hahaha! Well, Kitty, Mirabel and Baroness, I am but a man and know nothing of accessories! But it's true, there are keys, sunglasses, wallets, coins, sweets, combs, possibly cigarettes, lighters, watches, wrenches, iPhones, iPods, iPads, eye-patches and all sorts that we are quite incapable of carrying on our own.....good job handbags are so damn big these days!!
Old 11-29-2011, 07:51 PM
Heir Apparent

I like the color but not the outfit itself.