The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Thanks for jogging my memory; the hat looks almost like the style of that era a lady would wear with a riding habit, although with a long veil and without that stylized bow.
I like that comparison. I was wondering why the hat looked so familiar. I've seen that type of look in various period dramas.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I think you nailed it about the eyeliner; unfortunately all that black did accentuate the heavy application and it was very noticeable and severe this time. I, too, liked the hat, though.
I'm beginning to wonder if she's had an eyeliner tatoo. It seems very heavy and it is always present.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^I really, really hope not, otherwise Kate is forever committed to a certain look that she can never change.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Courtier

even if her eyeliner is a tattoo, it would need to be freshened up every 6 - 12 months to be effective .... so there is hope she could still grow out of the phase
Old 11-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, if it's a tattooed eyeliner, let's hope she changes her mind before she needs to get it reapplied!
Old 11-14-2011, 08:50 PM
Royal Highness

I agree everyone. Let's hope if she did experiment with a tattoo that this is a one time experiment.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:26 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Thanks for jogging my memory; the hat looks almost like the style of that era a lady would wear with a riding habit, although with a long veil and without that stylized bow.
. Thats a really really good thought, it certaintly has an historical feel to it (ok without the bow) and as I think Beatrixfan wrote in the thread on rememberane day 2003-2011 Catherine reminded her of a young Queen Alexandra, I keep imaging the photos in black and whie and can really see it. The fur trim on the collor reminds me of a textured collar that Queen Mary would wear, it has that kind of feel to it.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:44 PM
Courtier

I don't like the hat but I also don't think an updo would have worked. It would have made her look like she was riding a horse like the Baroness of Books said. I will also give her some points as at least she did not wear the hat to a wedding prior to attending the event.

I also agree that the Sandhurst hat from William's passing out parade would have looked great with the coat which I did like.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Please indulge me, mods, but in a fit of fancy, I'm posting this picture of what a similar hat and even the coat would look like as a riding habit. Just replace Kate's bow with either a plume or veil, put her hair up and you might have this:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ld...8pt0o1_500.jpg

And don't forget the horse and riding crop!
Old 11-14-2011, 10:28 PM
Courtier

Don't like Kate's hat; Sophie's is the best.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Sophie should have worn a black hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujean View Post
Don't like Kate's hat; Sophie's is the best.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:40 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if she's had an eyeliner tatoo. It seems very heavy and it is always present.
It's not tattooed on. There have been pictures, recent pictures from after the wedding, where she had no make-up on. It's just heavy eyeliner. It seems always present because we usually only see her when she is at an event or something special lol.

On another note: The hat actually grew on me. It's youth and fun and somber enough to fit the occasion. I like it. It's very cute and stylish.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:43 AM
Aristocracy

Where are the photos of her without makeup I would love to see them
Old 11-15-2011, 02:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

I really like the hat but hate the hair.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:38 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady74 View Post
Where are the photos of her without makeup I would love to see them
From Berkshire to Buckingham: Kate Shops at Wilkinson!

From Berkshire to Buckingham: Kate and Will Spotted Walking in the Park! [updated]

I hope these are sufficient.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:45 AM
Aristocracy

I can't really see her face enough to know if she has the eyeliner on but like everyone else ( or nearly everyone ) I hope she takes some advice soon on how to do her makeup it is very aging

Oops sorry I forgot to say thank you for photos
Old 11-15-2011, 02:55 AM
Nobility

You know I will be honest, for me it depends on the event and outfit. Sometimes I agree that her makeup is a little heavy and sometimes it doesn't bother me as much. I don't think it ages her so much as doesn't always enhance her features as best it could. For me, she just wears some very thick eyeliner lol. Looking back at some pictures from a few years ago, she didn't always wear her makeup quite so thick, but yes she does need to tone it down some, but I'm sure with time she will get around to that. Maybe the more prominent she and William become, stylists and such will advice her on her makeup choices, but it doesnt bother me too much usually so.....
Old 11-15-2011, 05:43 AM
Aristocracy

Could anyone tell me if there a certain area of England or class (hate that word but can't think how else to say it) that wear makeup in that way. I'm just wondering where her "look " comes from. I know her mother and sister do the same but it's not something I've noticed in say magazines etc.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm 26 and live in the UK, although not in England, so I'm pretty much in the same age group as Kate and her sister. I would say that the trend among people our age has become more and more towards very dark, smoky eyes with the rim of the eyes very well defined. This is why Kate's make up is so unremarkable to me, I see it on friends and colleagues on a daily basis.

There is no 'class' issue here, I feel it is generic among a certain generation.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:11 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady74 View Post
Could anyone tell me if there a certain area of England or class (hate that word but can't think how else to say it) that wear makeup in that way. I'm just wondering where her "look " comes from. I know her mother and sister do the same but it's not something I've noticed in say magazines etc.
That kind of eye make up is very fashionable or is supposedly fashionable these days and you see it on a lot of women and girls going out on nights out or university bar crawls/student nights. Particularly in the larger cities such as York, London, Newcastle and Manchester. To me, they just look like they have black eyes.