The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 4: August 2011 - September 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceflower

Administrator
Site Team
Country
Germany
Welcome to Part 4 of the thread for The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion!

You can find the old thread here:

** The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 3: July 2011 - August 2011 **

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs!

· Only pictures you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
· We expect our members to treat each other and the royals and persons in these threads with respect.
· Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
· Off topic and empty posts will be deleted without notice.
· Please be careful not to write in capital letters.

:flowers: Happy Posting! :flowers:

Love what Catherine wore in Birmingham! Elegant, regal, classic, and stylish!
A perfect look for a natural royal! Perfect!

I really didn't care for her suit/dress today. The buttons were the first thing that I saw, and I felt there were too many of them. Don't get me wrong, I can count on my hand how many times I didn't like her appearance, but this was just...no.

Her hair looked nice though.

Daria_S said:
I really didn't care for her suit/dress today. The buttons were the first thing that I saw, and I felt there were too many of them. Don't get me wrong, I can count on my hand how many times I didn't like her appearance, but this was just...no.

Her hair looked nice though.

I liked the skirt quite a bit, wasn't a fan of the blouse. Someone pointed out that it looks like something Diana would have worn in the eighties and I think that's accurate.

Still, I don't expect every outfit she wears to be my favorite!

As a reply to the statement that she is a wife of Military Officer and not
A Queen and thus should apparently dress with that in mind, Catherine is
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge, wife of the heir to the heir to the throne.

As a reply to the statement that she is a wife of Military Officer and not
A Queen and thus should apparently dress with that in mind, Catherine is
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge, wife of the heir to the heir to the throne.

She is both actually, and I think currently more a military officer's wife. At least until William is done with the RAF and they step up.

Skippy said:
She is both actually, and I think currently more a military officer's wife. At least until William is done with the RAF and they step up.

When she's doing royal duties, she needs to dress like a royal. Which she does and well. It was appropriate for her to dress that way today.

I'm sure she doesn't wear McQueen to grab a quick lunch with William on the base.

A busy blouse with all the buttons, trim and epaulets, but I did like the pencil skirt with the double slits. A simpler blouse that didn't try to match too much would have done the skirt justice, IMO.

Last edited:
Baroness of Books said:
A busy blouse with all the buttons, trim and epaulets, but I did like the pencil skirt with the double slits. A simpler blouse that didn't try to match too much would have done the skirt justice, IMO.

Hopefully we'll see her wear it that way next time she does a bit of recycling!

I was just thinking that something was off with this outfit. And I believe that it might be the shirt as well. The outfit is just a little too busy for my tastes, not to mention, I can not stand brass buttons on anything, just a quirk of mine I guess.

Wow, quite a few pages on that one outfit. The two pieces were obviously designed to go together, so again, I'll trot out my point about Kate needing to experiment with *new designers.* Frankly, I think this outfit is almost silly and looks like a parody of what a military wife would wear.

Maybe William liked it - and maybe she likes it, though. Some girls dream of dressing like sailors, it's true (often a theme in beauty pageants).

It could also be the case that "perhaps you had to be there." So much is established about a style by the way the person steps out of their vehicle, presents themselves in the setting, etc. Maybe it worked for this occasion, but Kate is just wearing it, she does not rock this look.

I think the outfit is too much and the buttons on the shirt don't line up with the skirt which for me is kind of annoying. I think a plainer shirt would have looked better maybe she thought it was cute! She needs to try some other designer and to make sure the outfits fit a little better. The shirt seems a little big in some areas on her.

I think the outfit is too much and the buttons on the shirt don't line up with the skirt which for me is kind of annoying. I think a plainer shirt would have looked better maybe she thought it was cute! She needs to try some other designer and to make sure the outfits fit a little better. The shirt seems a little big in some areas on her.
imo your right a plain shirt would have work but i still think she look good

And yea, I love McQueen but it would be nice to see her change it up a bit. Sarah Burton must be a good friend of hers.

If Vivienne Westwood has a more conservative line, maybe that would appeal to Kate and tempt her to wear other designers. ;)

If Vivienne Westwood has a more conservative line, maybe that would appeal to Kate and tempt her to wear other designers. ;)

:ROFLMAO: My eyes, my eyes. I really don't want that spooky woman anywhere near Catherine. I think it is one of those situations where it is best to leave well enough along. :lol:

:previous:Ah, gee, just thought I'd throw that idea out and see the reaction! :ROFLMAO:

:previous:Ah, gee, just thought I'd throw that idea out and see the reaction! :ROFLMAO:
You are a very wicked person with an incredibly warped sense of humour, although in this case, I'll give you a pass. :whistling:

I think Catherine's dress was more than a little 'Majorette' looking for a very big Brass Band. Could VW have done worse? :D

I think Catherine's dress was more than a little 'Majorette' looking for a very big Brass Band. Could VW have done worse? :D

Actually that's a fairly good description. All she needs is a baton and to start marching! :D

I liked the skirt but the shirt was too much with it - it ended up looking a bit like a costume. I would love to see this skirt again but with a plainer shirt.

Having respectfully read everyone's post since yesterdays visits, it's very interesting to hear the varied opinion. For my part I woul firstly, like to say that on the subect of the outfit being to formal, this was the third day of royal visits, Wednesday Charles and Camilla visit parts of London, including Tottenham and Croydon (bearing in mind their age and position) formal suit and skirt and jacket attire woukd be considered appropriate. Thursday Harry was in Salford he was also formally dressed in a suit, bearing that in mind when William and Catherine visited Birmingham on Friday dressing down (bearing in mind they were not helping with the pratical matters of the clean up) would have looked odd in the context of the previous days. I would assume William's suits cost a fair bit (apprechiating that they are worn frequently) but this skirt/blouse combo can together and sepreatly be worn many times in different ways and build up as a staple in her working wardrobe. I believe the pencil skirt cost £580 and the blouse £795, I apprechiate that this is more than the day after the wedding day Zara dress, but this was a royal visit for an important issue, they were visiting humble victims familes, the day after the funerals, emergency services that dealt with the riots, community leaders that are dealing with the aftermath and victims and communitites that have been effected. Of course a previously worn outfit could have been worn but the visit was meant to be a boost for the community, the occassion needed it to be formal and I am sure that there are many skirts and blouses available that cost more. More frevioulsly, I think she looked stylish and classic, the skirt had wonderful splits and it fell beautifully, but personally I do like nearly everything she wears. It's interesting that she usually wears smart dresses to daytime occasions in Canada, so it was refreshing to see a skirt and blouse and I have read that Sarah Burton designed it to be worn together, so prehaps for its first outing, it's nice to see it together. It was teamed with her prada shoes and just simply earrings and no clutch (prehaps that was the subtle dressing down, no clutch and minimum jewellery.
I do have one other though that when Catherine wears Sarah Burton designs, to places, it lets them have a fealing to the occassion of her wedding day, the knitted dress tp Prince Edward Island etc, equally the Canada Day dress could easily have warrented a new dress but wearing the offical engagement photos dress is letting us into that time, same for her earring in Birmingham from the day the engagement was announced. This is of course just my opinion but Catherine seems to really like to be symbolic and right not what she wears shows this.

Last edited:
This outfit looked too much like a costume, according to me. When I first saw it, I couldn't believe it! It seems that this was a wrong outfit for a very important event. However, an outfit is just an outfit, and Catherine was perfect, smiling nicely to people, listening to them with a lot of attention... She did her job perfectly well.
I only wish that she would wear this skirt with an other shirt, I'm sure this could be really beautiful! I'm still disapointed by her eyes make-up, it should be lighter, I'm really convinced that it would softened her beautiful face a lot.
I really love these shoes. Does anybody knows which brand they are? Thanks! :flowers:

LovelyKate said:
I really love these shoes. Does anybody knows which brand they are? Thanks! :flowers:

According various sites she has at least 3 pairs of Navy pumps, one are Blahniks, the second Prada and the third are suede and so far have been unidentifible. I believe these are those. Many news outlets report the blue suede as Prada but per WKW and such sites they are not Prada, her prada blue ones are different.......so to answer your question they are an unknown brand or Prada ;) depending on your source

^ Thanks! :flowers: So it seems that I fell in love with the most mysterious shoes owned by Catherine?! :lol:

Someone had mentioned in an earlier comment about the possibility of Kate's eyeliner being tattooed on. I thought that was an interesting observation. I really hope this isn't the case since the effect is permanent and gives the wearer no chance to ever reverse it. You're committed to a certain look and if you change your mind, I doubt you can use a laser to remove a tattoo in the eye area. Only time will tell with this one.

I liked the skirt but the shirt was too much with it - it ended up looking a bit like a costume. I would love to see this skirt again but with a plainer shirt.

I'm sure you will...see it again, I mean. :lol:

I agree with brehinol that Kate can combine it in many ways to give a different.appearance.

As for the eyeliner, I very much doubt that it is tattooed; there was a great deal of publicity when the idea first became trendy, but I don't think many people (not counting Michael Jackson) actually adopted the fad.

Women realize that styles of makeup change too; they wouldn't want to be stuck with a permanent, outdated look.
Besides, I've seen some pictures of Kate without eyeliner someplace (although now I don't remember the occasion).

I'm sure we will eventually see Kate combine the skirt and blouse in myriad ways, given her tendency to recycle her outfits. I wouldn't mind seeing the blouse with a plain skirt or slacks, and the skirt with a simpler blouse. As for the eyeliner tattoo theory, I hope you're right that she didn't have it done, Mirabel, and I'd love to see pictures of Kate minus that liner!

Catherine's visit ti Birmingham

I think Catherine should have worn A much more simple outfit - this was a visit to people who have suffered because of the riots in Birmingham after all. On the other hand, people might have wanted to seen her 'dressed up' a bit. But let us not forget the occasion - and please don't forget she is relatively knew to the role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom