The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 4: August 2011 - September 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She hasn't done bad, that's true. The thing with that Duchess is that she's faking it. I see no real grace, no natural elegance in this girl, sorry. She can wear the best-tailored suit, stand correctly etc. but then she'll soon crack that silly smile (reminds of a half-paralysed face from a stroke or something :innocent:) and her middle-class mediocrity is back... :yuk: Don't get me wrong, she dresses well (just well, I haven't spotted any superb appearance yet) but ordinarily 'elegant', her style just doesn't interest me anymore. ;) My two cents.

Me neither. Not after the tour to the US. I think you are raising interesting points. Many of the dresses she chose during her stay in the US looked somehow cheap to me and they certainly haven't been cheap. I think that, if someone has an eye for delicate pieces, one can find pretty classy looking clothes at H&M even. So, yes, she might indeed not have a real elegant taste of her own. We have seen that for years - she pretty much dressed like every girl her age who reads fashion magazines and tries to look a bit posh. Simply ordinary as you said. Well, apart from her position and body (before the weight loss) there isn't anything special about her I'm afraid. :ermm:

Soapstar, that's the impression I get, it can't be analysed any further. It's totally fine if we see things differently, isn't it?

LovelyKate, this is a thread about the fashion choices of a certain lady among the royals. We can criticize her style here . It doesn't mean that we spend 24 hours a day talking about Kate's clothes in real life. No no no! :)

I don't feel at ease with this actual vision according to which women are only considered as interesting if they have a good style. Kate has her own style: she feels good in her clothes, so what? I don't like this dictat of fashion.
Women have a personnality, they can't be limited to what they wear. This is a very reductive vision of them. At the beginning I didn't care of all that was said about Catherine, but now, when I read all these articles or posts on various forums, I think that people should find another aim in their life than alqays criticizing her. If she was a bad wife, living a scandalous life, she could be criticized. Who cares if Catherine wears boots, or other pieces that don't correspond to the actual fashion?

I actually agree 100 % with you, but we simply don't know much about her personality. She has a nice smile and thus seems nice, but so far I haven't even seen a speech by her. She does what is expected from her, smiles, shakes hands. She's the woman at HIS side and actually I don't think her position leaves that much room for personality. Could she afford a scandalous life? No. Most of the time she will say what is expected. So, what else should we judge apart from her fashion now (this may change later as she CAN find her way to bring in her own personality more)? I agree that it seems a bit superficial, but on the other hand this is a fashion forum, I love fashion and I will simply comment on how I find this or that princess' clothes. :flowers:

Last edited:
Soapstar, that's the impression I get, it can't be analysed any further. It's totally fine if we see things differently, isn't it?

Of course it's fine if we see things differently. Not everyone will agree on everything. Which is why some people find Kate's fashion choices boring or ordinary and others don't.Or why some in the fashion world are applauding her choices and some are not.

What I am trying to understand though, is what you mean by middle-class mediocrity?

I know that this is a thread in wich we can criticise her style, I have already visited it, and even contributed to it too! Sometimes I like what she wears, sometimes I don't. I only reacted to the article posted a few posts before, and to some posts very critics, but not to all the posts. In fact I was thinking to another forum on which Catherine is always criticised a lot, whatever she wears... I love talking about fashion, but I only think that sometimes, it comes too far with Catherine, as if for some people she only exists to wear clothes. I just regret this attitude!

Last edited:
Middle-class mediocrity seems to be a diss on the middle class. And once again this idea that Kate is somehow not good enough to be a royal because she wasn't born rich.

I've noticed that fashion's been taking a more lady-like turn particularly in the last couple of years. I love it!!!:flowers:

There are several definitions of mediocre. I take it to mean "average." There are some who use it negatively and some, positively.

I think mediocre fits Kate, whether she had been born poor or rich.

As far as Kate's fashion goes, with a couple of exceptions --- she looks like all the people I see on a daily basis. To me, her style is neither exceptional nor abominable.

I really like Catherines style but I´ve also worked in the fashion industry and can tell you that most fashion-people are dressing like normal average citizens,only for a fashion show or special events everyone is trying to wear it better than others :) Of course everyone is trying to make a good impression and stand out from the crowd with their creativity but I´ve never seen anyone with crazy hair like Lady Gaga *lol* If you look at the most popular fashion designers you will be surprised that they usually wear jeans and t-shirt and no extravagant, fancy stuff! When you work on a collection you are always under a lot of pressure because usually you have very little time to design and create your fashion ideas and therefore wearing uncomfortable clothes or high heels would be a hindrance at working efficiently....The crazy outfits and makeup are the exception,but they are seen as the rule by people from outside the industry :)
What is shown at fashion shows and what is sold as ready to wear clothes in the shops is often quite different-most pieces are alterated so that they can be worn on the street.

Last edited:
Well all I can say is that I truly DO wish that all you fashionistas (who are obviously NOT middleclass) would do the rest of us a favor by posting your pictures to show us what fashion forward people you all are and what Catherine should aspire to.

Not to mention the nasty innuendoes about class. Yes, it wanes and then it rears it's ugly head once again when the opportunity arises because of some shallow "fashion" writer's opinions.

I have read the negative opinions of Catherine's fashion taste and in some cases I totally agree and in others I do not. We all have outfits that really look great and make us feel great and others that are sort of meh! They take up closet space and we wear them on occasion.

Catherine seems like a pretty average woman of her age but I read with some concern the ultimate snobbish put-down of "middle-class" taste and concluding with "Soap star". These are not fashion evaluations but those of class, of someone who thinks Catherine is middle class and trying to look upper class with her crowning achievement being a "Soap star" look. Now that is just plain nasty, just when you think we are grading on an egalitarian curve along come those who feel an inalienable sense of superiority based on an accident of birth. Theirs!

This sort of snotty put-down has nothing to do with the discussion of The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion and the terms used have nothing to do with a serious discussion of her fashion. It does however speak to an incredible sense of self-entitlement.

Is it too much to ask those of the abovementioned mindset to keep it to themselves or find anther outlet for their snobbery and let those inclined to continue their often passionate but harmless dabate about fashion?

I disagree. I think that she has a lot of dignity and presence for someone who--as we are constantly reminded--came from humble beginnings.

Well, apart from her position and body (before the weight loss) there isn't anything special about her I'm afraid. :ermm:

Catherine seems like a pretty average woman of her age but I read with some concern the ultimate snobbish put-down of "middle-class" taste and concluding with "Soap star". These are not fashion evaluations but those of class, of someone who thinks Catherine is middle class and trying to look upper class with her crowning achievement being a "Soap star" look.

There's a poster in this thread named "soapstar" who was being addressed by name. Kate wasn't being compared to a soap star.

She hasn't done bad, that's true. The thing with that Duchess is that she's faking it. I see no real grace, no natural elegance in this girl, sorry. She can wear the best-tailored suit, stand correctly etc. but then she'll soon crack that silly smile and her middle-class mediocrity is back... :yuk: Don't get me wrong, she dresses well (just well, I haven't spotted any superb appearance yet) but ordinarily 'elegant', her style just doesn't interest me anymore. ;) My two cents.

I think you're being a bit harsh. I think if she tried to be more 'upper class' (whatever that means, by the way), she would be considered a 'snob' and be accused of putting on airs. She has done a great job, and dressed appropriately for pretty much all occasions she needed to be at. Her style reflects who she is; and she's a person who wants to stay true to herself. She's simple, classy, and mature. Her style reflects that.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO a member of the Roylty doesn't have AND shouldn't compete with hollywood/bollywood or other "stars" - so, I think she does it right (even if I find most of her dresses boooooooring), but she is young in her job - so doing it safe is fine with me.

Thank god - life isn't only about appearence :) (but I know that it is important non the less)

What I am trying to understand though, is what you mean by middle-class mediocrity?

It means I find her average in a negative sense.
She doesn't have to be super rich or haughty or come from the 'upper classes' to be considered special or regal. It's the way she carries herself that is fake, she can act and keep it up for a while, then something will ultimately 'betray' how uncomfortable she feels in her new role. I suggested the silly smile, which indicates nervousness and lack of confidence and class - it's much more than that. All that is reasonable of course, don't get me wrong. I understand her, she could never have an aristocratic bearing, like Diana for example, and for obvious reasons. I wouldn't like to elaborate because the middle class comment has annoyed some posters.
Last but not least, all of the above is just a personal point of view. :flowers:

There are several definitions of mediocre. I take it to mean "average." There are some who use it negatively and some, positively.

I think mediocre fits Kate, whether she had been born poor or rich.

As far as Kate's fashion goes, with a couple of exceptions --- she looks like all the people I see on a daily basis. To me, her style is neither exceptional nor abominable.

I totally agree with you, Kitty. You summed it up perfectly. ;)

It means I find her average in a negative sense.
She doesn't have to be super rich or haughty or come from the 'upper classes' to be considered special or regal. It's the way she carries herself that is fake, she can act and keep it up for a while, then something will ultimately 'betray' how uncomfortable she feels in her new role. I suggested the silly smile, which indicates nervousness and lack of confidence and class - it's much more than that. All that is reasonable of course, don't get me wrong. I understand her, she could never have an aristocratic bearing, like Diana for example, and for obvious reasons. I wouldn't like to elaborate because the middle class comment has annoyed some posters.
Last but not least, all of the above is just a personal point of view. :flowers:

I guess I just don't see the need to include the "middle class" part. I understand that you see her as mediocre or average, but the reference to her middle class roots seems like a really personal dig and honestly has nothing to do with her style or personality.

I don't think the way she carries herself is fake or classless. IMO, she comes across as very poised and classy. And it's pretty normal if she feels uncomfortable in her new role. Who wouldn't? I imagine all of the other women (and men) that have married into the royal families have felt the exact same way. Maybe I'm misreading your post, but I just don't see how any of that translates into her being fake or classless. But, we can agree to disagree. ;)

Anyway, I recently noticed that there are a few royal wives (Charlene, Kate, Letizia) that seem to get some serious snark in their fashion threads. It goes beyond, "I hate that outfit" or "her style sucks" and gets into some serious digs about their mental state, their upbringing, their bodies, etc. I don't know why that happens, but I think it sucks.

It's okay, Marg. I didn't take offense. :)

Last edited:
That still does not alter the fact that a woman with little fashion knowledge and absolutely no experience is setting trends that Anna Wintour and company can only dream about and are bent out of shape that this nobody is creating fashion trends with a power that they can only dream about.

I can only imagine how p***** they are that she has the power. They don't. :D

Are you joking? Anna Wintour's power and influence both inside and outside the fashion world has been very well-documented. While Kate's shopping and watching movies in Wales, Anna's having power meetings with fashion designers, film makers and politicians. (I'm sure Kate will have substantial influence someday regarding something, but right now, she's just the heir to the heir's wife, leading a relatively low-key, boring life.)

Also, Anna and company predicted the ladylike trend several months back. The non-fashion media is just now catching up and wrongly attributing it solely to Kate. (Furthermore, Anna's been wearing ladylike day dresses and suits for YEARS now. But because it's part of her job to look impeccable, nobody pays attention to her style even though it's always consistent, always regal, always stylish. Kate, on the other hand, just graduated from Land's End-style clothing to ladylike regality therefore she's getting attention.) (It wasn't that long ago that the Daily Mail was giving Kate fashion advice...)

Last edited:
I like DoCa and Anna Wintour, I don't know if Anna herself chastised Kate for being boring. It is going to take A LONG time before we discover if Kate setting trends is just a fad or something that will continue on the long term. Wether you are a fashionista or not, you have to applaud the girl for being able to look so great and choose such nice outfits without any help.

I like DoCa and Anna Wintour, I don't know if Anna herself chastised Kate for being boring. It is going to take A LONG time before we discover if Kate setting trends is just a fad or something that will continue on the long term. Wether you are a fashionista or not, you have to applaud the girl for being able to look so great and choose such nice outfits without any help.
if you look at the style of dress in the fall fashion you'll see a lot of dresses that copy kate's way of dress

Are you joking? Anna Wintour's power and influence both inside and outside the fashion world has been very well-documented. While Kate's shopping and watching movies in Wales, Anna's having power meetings with fashion designers, film makers and politicians. (I'm sure Kate will have substantial influence someday regarding something, but right now, she's just the heir to the heir's wife, leading a relatively low-key, boring life.)

i think that is why some dont like her style of dress and grooming-for me i cant dress myself and look good.i need a host of friends,mom and my husband where as kate just goes shopping and turns out looking good...dont be a hater just accept the fact that she is a fashion icon....

Several posts not discussing Catherine's fashion - instead discusing her family background and personality - have been removed. Further posts on the issue will be removed at moderator discretion, so please stay on topic and respect other member's opinions.

Thank you,
JessRulz
on behalf of the RHoF moderators.

Issa

While the pictures from the Issa show indicate that the designs are very much what Catherine likes to wear I think we will see her move away from the label due to the involvement of the Al Fayed family.

No surprise there. She is the woman of the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom