The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 4: August 2011 - September 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Super Baroness
It's from the St. Andrew's fashion show..though I think it is the only picture of that particular outfit (if you can even call it that). I'm surprised there aren't more pictures of it, but maybe that's a good thing because I have a feeling people would make a much bigger deal out of it compared to the see-thru dress.

One can definitely see that this photograph was taken more than a few years back. I do not think it is that revealing either. In fact much more would be seen she was wearing a bikini on the beach. Not certain what all the fuss is about.

Last edited:
Well that was a nice article to read! Maybe Kate will get to visit NYC and get to wear what Queen Latifah suggested. It's quite fitting after all since her husband seems to like motorbikes.

i believe she is..all the new styles of dress look like something kate would or have worn

I don't think she wants to be a trendsetter, anyway. She always looks attractive and appropriate; it's best if she doesn't become all about her clothes.

That´s a good point,Mirabel :) I also like her fashion and style-it´s elegant and timeless,sometimes with a little twist but she´s never been trying to be cutting-edge and I haven´t seen any big fashion fauxpas since she´s been married :flowers: Lady Diana was more daring and changed her look a lot,which was very interesting and made her a style trendsetter but sometimes I felt that while she deserved a lot of praise for her outfit choices the reason for her visits or the cause she was supporting was less talked about-which is the most important thing IMO.They both support many charities and good causes and they bring awareness to certain topics that would otherwise be ignored by the press or society ( like AIDS or poverty for example!) That´s why Catherine Middleton has chosen the correct dresscode to fulfil her royal duties and represent her country.

Kate may not be setting trends, but she does seem to be influential in that fashions are starting to reflect her classic, elegant, tasteful style for those who would like to emulate her and veer away from the "less is more" effect.

She certainly has a good influence on fashion but it is more subtle.People in the fashion business usually prefer style icons who are cutting-edge,wearing clothes that "normal" people would not dare to wear on the streets-this is why she is not considered a trendsetter!She does have a great taste and her clothes can be worn by most women-you can choose her looks at work or when you go out and you will always be dressed appropriate for the occasion.

that is way she is so appealing i could wear her style of dress and im a very large girl. and the catch is those dresses would still look good

I don't think she wants to be a trendsetter, anyway. She always looks attractive and appropriate; it's best if she doesn't become all about her clothes.

I have always thought Kate had no desire to be a trendsetter like Diana, or was as obsessed with her clothes like Diana. I hope this doesn't come off as a desire to bash Diana, but her personality is of someone who cares more about clothes and wears them to make a statement and to care about her "image". Kate doesn't seem to want to be a Fashion Queen or a clothes horse.

I have always thought Kate had no desire to be a trendsetter like Diana, or was as obsessed with her clothes like Diana. I hope this doesn't come off as a desire to bash Diana, but her personality is of someone who cares more about clothes and wears them to make a statement and to care about her "image". Kate doesn't seem to want to be a Fashion Queen or a clothes horse.

That´s no Diana-bashing,it´s just a fact that she was caring a lot for her public image and she loved beautiful clothes,jewellery and hats. As someone who is very interested in art,fashion and design it´s very interesting for me to see her trying out so many different looks and playing with her image.
Kate and Diana are very different personalities and I like them both because they are not afraid to be who they are -I guess because Kate was much more mature than Diana she has already found her own style and she´s more confident than Diana was at the beginning of her marriage-Catherine M. has a secure & happy family background and she´s been to university while Diana was often critisized for her lack of higher education.This would explain why Catherine wears less extravagant clothes and less big jewels than Diana because she does not need them to feel comfortable with herself.

Last edited:
@ Xenia- I respectfully disagree with your opinion. Diana cared about her image, as a member of the BRF, she wanted to look the part, and play her role. Princesses are expected to turn up looking like Cinderella, not the maid. And yes, she did have bulimia, an eating disorder, that arouse from low self confidence in her image. That does not mean however, that she was obsessed with her image. That means she was ill.
She did not want to be a fashion icon, that was not her job. Media and public turned her into one. Her job was to be a Princess. Image is part of being in the public eye.
I am sure Diana liked to shop. I am sure she found it relaxing. I am sure she found it exciting to get a new outfit. Most women do.She was never a clothes- horse. If she was, she would have been full of airs, and graces, spending all her time shopping in high- end stores in London. Instead she was the Queen of Hearts, using her time to make a difference.
Diana was Diana. Kate is Kate. Period. No need to label or compare them. IMO, they both dressed,/ dress, very lovely, BTW....

Last edited:

The endless debate continues... :rolleyes:

Imo, it's hard to be a "trendsetter" when you're a classic dresser with a closet full of beautiful, solid basics. Kate always looks classy, appropriate and lovely and I usually want what she's wearing. Occasionally, I can even afford it. So I guess she's a trendsetter for me, lol. Or perhaps just a good reminder that the classy basics are always the best.

Really love the second picture.

I also agree with you in regards to Catherine's attire. She is not a trendsetter per se, and to me, that's what makes her unique. She's not trying to stand out, but simply dress like a classy and mature woman. I think subconsciously, she's setting a trend of dressing in a more conservative style, but to me, that's a positive and not a negative thing.

I love her attire 99% of the time, and if I had the figure, I would probably make similar choices, because I dress in a more conservative fashion myself.

I am not going to debate Diana here,and this is the last I will say about her; Diana did want to be a fashion icon and she cared more about her image than any other member of the royal family. Diana was the one who cared about what the papers were saying about her every day, and on various occasions she used her clothes and her hair to outshine other members of the family.
blauerengel is right that Kate is more secure in herself due to her background and perhaps her relationship with William, that she doesn't crave admiration from photographers and co. So far it seems she dresses nicely to do her job, not to make a statement; and she has also decided to follow the rule of not overshadowing her husband.

Those are recent pix? Where were they taken? I never knew Kate had a booty, I mean it's small but it is there. :p Yes I am a woman and I do notice these things.
I don't know how people can assume Kate has an eating disorder when you see that girls thighs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are recent pix? Where were they taken? I never knew Kate had a booty, I mean it's small but it is there. :p Yes I am a woman and I do notice these things.
I don't know how people can assume Kate has an eating disorder when you see that girls thighs.

She was in Hungerford.
Newbury Today | Duchess of Cambridge spotted shopping in Hungerford

I agree, she looks fantastic. I would love to find out her workout routine. Wales has amazing scenery. I hope she's out there checking it out.

I am not going to debate Diana here,and this is the last I will say about her; Diana did want to be a fashion icon and she cared more about her image than any other member of the royal family. Diana was the one who cared about what the papers were saying about her every day, and on various occasions she used her clothes and her hair to outshine other members of the family.
blauerengel is right that Kate is more secure in herself due to her background and perhaps her relationship with William, that she doesn't crave admiration from photographers and co. So far it seems she dresses nicely to do her job, not to make a statement; and she has also decided to follow the rule of not overshadowing her husband.

As a Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis fan, I find that sentence ridiculous and sexist, to say the least. JKO was the forerunner to Diana, in how she used clothing as a diplomatic tool to bring attention to the arts, culture, and various issues of the day. JKO's clothes were always statement-making, but thank god John F. Kennedy was always secure in own skin and didn't worry about his wife's style "overshadowing" him or his policies. (In fact, he is on record complimenting her on several occasions for how she utilized clothes to spread cultural awareness and peace.) Instead of being thin-skinned and whiny about it, Charles could have learned a lesson or two from JFK on appreciating having a style icon in the family. As well as the other members of clan.

And furthermore, it's highly insulting to say that if a married woman has a flair for fashion, it must be become she wants the spotlight to herself. Gosh, that must be why both Audrey Hepburn's marriages went to crap! It was not Diana's fault that most of the other royals have rather frumpy, unexciting styles.

All that said, I think if and when Kate wears a statement dress, I believe William will support her. She's already altered her style from "Land's End model" to "understated Anna Wintour," so I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't dip her toes in slightly more adventurous waters in the next few years. (Especially given how much of the Alexander McQueen label she has been spotted in.)

Kate is a mature woman who's confident and self-assured and will most likely continue to wear what suits her and won't be swayed by others' opinions of her attire. Perhaps she may experiment a bit more with designs, but she seems to have a firm grasp of knowing what looks good on her and having the basics in her closet that anyone would have i.e. those basic black boots that she just loves to wear! She may be a conservative dresser and wouldn't stand out in a crowd unless she chooses to, but she knows her legs are one of her best assets so I'm sure she won't abandon her skinny jeans and boots just yet. Most likely she'll always keep them as part of her standard wear. :)

Last edited:
I have to agree Blauerengel. Kate may not be a trend setter but she does have a good influence on fashion. New York fashion experts have labelled her as "a style follower and not a fashion trend setter". I am not certain who actually cares about this statement. Kate is Kate. She always looks comfortable, confident, elegant and gracious where ever she goes. That is what really counts at the end of the day. I also think more and more people now have the courage to opt more for a simple and understated look and still feel confident. In any case, fashion is not about what you wear but rather HOW you wear it.

Last edited:
I love that she is not afraid to be modest.

As a Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis fan, I find that sentence ridiculous and sexist, to say the least... JKO's clothes were always statement-making, but thank god John F. Kennedy was always secure in own skin and didn't worry about his wife's style "overshadowing" him or his policies.
Nevertheless, even JFK did worry about the expense! Jackie spent a fortune on her clothes, and he dreaded the public finding out just how much.
Instead of being thin-skinned and whiny about it, Charles could have learned a lesson or two from JFK on appreciating having a style icon in the family. As well as the other members of clan.
But it wasn't only Charles; I distinctly recall her first appearance at the opening of Parliament- all the press coverage was about how Diana had decided to put her hair up! Even the Queen was virtually ignored! Diana was a beautiful and stylish woman, but she did like the limelight- and her clothes were a huge part of that. I think Kate is wise to avoid going down that path.

CordeliaFitzgerald said:
As a Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis fan, I find that sentence ridiculous and sexist, to say the least. JKO was the forerunner to Diana, in how she used clothing as a diplomatic tool to bring attention to the arts, culture, and various issues of the day. JKO's clothes were always statement-making, but thank god John F. Kennedy was always secure in own skin and didn't worry about his wife's style "overshadowing" him or his policies. (In fact, he is on record complimenting her on several occasions for how she utilized clothes to spread cultural awareness and peace.) Instead of being thin-skinned and whiny about it, Charles could have learned a lesson or two from JFK on appreciating having a style icon in the family. As well as the other members of clan.

You should listen to or read the transcripts of the tapes Jackie recorded, you may view her differently after. She herself says JFK orginally considered her and her clothes a huge political liability but to his credit never asked her to change.....Caroline Kennedy just released the tapes and put out a book if them....just an OT FYI

Thank you Mirabel, I was going to say the exact same thing about other members of the BRF having a problem with Diana's clothes and image; but as I said I am not going to debate Diana in a thread about Kate.

We are told the photos are of Kate, but I don't think it is Kate. She is much too heavy compared to the beach walk photos where Pippa is with her. The two sets of photos were deemed to have been taken only days apart.

KittyAtlanta said:
We are told the photos are of Kate, but I don't think it is Kate. She is much too heavy compared to the beach walk photos where Pippa is with her. The two sets of photos were deemed to have been taken only days apart.

You can clearly tell from the second pic with a profile of her face that it's Catherine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom