The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 4: August 2011 - September 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Be pretty with a flowery spring dress. Kate could, if she wished, get a flower spring dress...next Spring...

I see that a lot of European royal ladies use clutches on their meet and greets, but these clutches are a nice substantial size that you can easily tuck under your arm leaving your hands free. I have one that's long and narrow and fits comfortably under my arm. If Kate sticks with clutches, that's the size I like, not the little change purse types that leave you really no option but to keep in your hand. I like the size of the Balenciaga clutch, and if someone would like to drop $1,045 on that for me, I wouldn't argue against adding it to my wardrobe! :wub:

Last edited:
The cluches she is usually carrying are nice but not practicall at all. They totally block you one arm and you can`t put nothing inside eccept one small lipstick.deNo way to put one of the actuall mobile phones like.i-phone or simil and of course no cigarets (does she smoke??). In fact her cluches are strictly decorative items. Letizia carries a practical side of cluches.

Westwood is certainly not for me, either. Clutches are so darling, and sophisticated too - and all Kate needs to do is acquire more of them.

What I would want if I were a princess:

Balenciaga Pink Clutch Bag

I'd want a bunch of others, too. That would be my weakness. I'd also want some Balenciaga firsts to wear on my arm.

That's a little too pink for me. Reminds me of an accessory that could be used by Galinda from 'Wicked' (she loved her pink). However, in another color this clutch could work.

Westwood is certainly not for me, either. Clutches are so darling, and sophisticated too - and all Kate needs to do is acquire more of them.

What I would want if I were a princess:

Balenciaga Pink Clutch Bag

I'd want a bunch of others, too. That would be my weakness. I'd also want some Balenciaga firsts to wear on my arm.

Nice clutch, but it's the color of Pepto Bismol. I would like it in a more neutral color.

:previous: True, too flamingo pink for me though I like the style.

Last edited:
Totally agree with this - she never looks awful. We all have our different tastes and ideas how Kate should look but some of the criticism she's been getting lately is way ott. I personally find there is always something I like or find interesting about her clothes/accessories.

I completely agree. Its one thing to say an outfit looks bad; its completely another to say her outfit is somehow disrespectful to the occasion. Then again people say the same thing about Victoria of Sweden and Charlene of Monaco.

She does nothing for me at all. Those demure tea dresses are never going to offend but they could never be called stylish either. To be fair if that is how she wants to dress it's up to her, she clearly isn't trying to be a fashion plate but some sections of the media are determined to have their replacement Diana so will keep emphasisng what a style icon she is because that is what THEY want her to be. At the end of the day they aren't doing her any favours because their comments only emphasise how old-fashioned she is for someone her age.

Last edited:
She does nothing for me at all. Those demure tea dresses are never going to offend but they could never be called stylish either. To be fair if that is how she wants to dress it's up to her, she clearly isn't trying to be a fashion plate but some sections of the media are determined to have their replacement Diana so will keep emphasisng what a style icon she is because that is what THEY want her to be. At the end of the day they aren't doing her any favours because their comments only emphasise how old-fashioned she is for someone her age.

imo i dont think she is old fashioned but she is a safe dresser-and that is a refreshing change. when you look at women in the media very few are safe in their dressing. i love the tea dress it reminds me of the days when women took pride in how they looked. they dress up for trips to the mall or grocery shopping.
and imo she is a replacement for princess di-anything kate wears people buy. so in that respect i think she is becoming an replacement diana. i dont think by kate's choice but people are looking for that "royal star". not to say other princeses arent classy but its base on the fact she married princess di's son. im sure prince harry's wife will have the same comparisons-imo

let me add not that princess di can not be replace but i think she is the new generation princess di
shes warm,pretty(imo),can wear anything and it looks good on her, inline for the throne via marriage and seems like a reg person who had a job, finish school .

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if we were all being honest we would have to admit that if she wasn't married to who she is married to no one would be commenting on her clothes at all because it's all quite boring. But then if she wasn't married to William would she be dressing this way? Lets not forget that this is a girl who walked down a catwalk in next to nothing so i do wonder where the real Kate Middleton is in this whole scheme of things ie are these clothes really her or are they what she thinks the Royals would prefer her to wear?

BTW Can I also say that we only have the newspapers word that what she wears sells out. For my part practically anyone I speak to in her age group says that they wouldn't be seen dead in her clothes.

Last edited:
I really am almost lost for words. No, I am lost for words, quite literally.

I think if we were all being honest we would have to admit that if she wasn't married to who she is married to no one would be commenting on her clothes at all because it's all quite boring. But then if she wasn't married to William would she be dressing this way? Lets not forget that this is a girl who walked down a catwalk in next to nothing so i do wonder where the real Kate Middleton is in this whole scheme of things ie are these clothes really her or are they what she thinks the Royals would prefer her to wear?

BTW Can I also say that we only have the newspapers word that what she wears sells out. For my part practically anyone I speak to in her age group says that they wouldn't be seen dead in her clothes.

I think we also need to remember that she was twenty years old when she wore that rather revealing dress (or was it night-time attire?), and more often than not, style changes with age. Her style reflects her maturity. I think it would be way out of character if she started walking around in skimpy-looking dresses/shirts/skirts. She strikes me as a person who knows when to pull certain items from her wardrobe (though I hope to all that is holy, that the Stella McCartney dress from Prince Philip's 90th Birthday dinner is never pulled out of the said wardrobe), 99.9% of time time looks appropriate for the situation.

More than Kate being 20 at the time, Angela needs to recall that Kate wore a dress designed by one of her fellow college students. I highly doubt models whether high class or catalogue where things that are geared toward their personal style. If Angela had been paying attention over the last decade that Kate has been on the radar, her clothes have always been quite boring and safe.

I am simply pointing out that there is more, by her own actions, to Kate than she is doing herself justice for. She said in the engagement interview that she was intoduced to William and turned red. That simply dosn't add up when one looks back at her on that catwalk. I am only pointing out that I think she is stifling herself fashionwise because IMO she is trying to please the Royals.

Last edited:
What Kate wore on the catwalk wasn't any more revealing--and in fact somewhat less revealing--than what any number of slim young women wear on the beach. Had she been wearing a g-string and pasties, then I can see where there might have been a problem for her reputation.;)

She turned red because he was the future King of England... I would turn red if I ran into him... But they got over that, became friends and the rest is history. And what does that have to do with her fashion sense or trying to impress the royals?

A lot of people are nervous when they meet people like him.

As for her fashion sense, I love it. A large chunk of the fashion world have been way to immodest in these last ten years... I like the clothes that leave the body to the imagination and flatters. I hate hate hate the clothes that might as well not be there at all.

Kate is bringing back real style and class. God Bless her for it!

I am simply pointing out that there is more, by her own actions, to Kate than she is dioing herself justice for. She said in the engagment interview thast she was intoduced to William and turned red. That simply dosn't add up when onre looks back st her on that catwalk. I am mereley pointingf out that I think she is strifling herself fashionwise because she is trying topleasse the Royals.

Well, I think the major issues is that you assume that she is trying to please the royals by her dress sense. What others are pointing out to you is that her dress sense has remained the same when she was dating Prince William as to when she married him. She dresses very conservative and it appears that is her style. There is nothing wrong with that if that pleases her and William.

Frankly, it makes no sense to use her modeling lingerie as an example of her regular style since that is only one example.Its also worth noting that EVERYONE who modeled in that particular fashion show wore clothes like that. I believe its a St. Andrews tradition. It would be different if she dressed like Chelsy (not to slam her but their styles are very different) and than one day she starts showing up in tweed, and a conservative dress. She has never dressed like that.

And frankly, it doesn't matter that 20 year olds aren't buying the clothes that she wears. The point is that SOMEONE is buying them. Actually a lot of someone's as they sell out. So while they may not be your taste or my taste, its someone's taste. And at the end of the day, that's all the designer and the store cares about.

Oh please give it a break Angela. As Xenia had said, if you'd been paying attention over the last decade, you'd notice that Kate's overall fashion sense has always been elegant, but at the same time right for her age. And I Thank the Fashion Gods for that!!

I'm sick and tired of only seeing clothing in the stores that only would be fit to be seen on someone late at night standing on a street corner. Thanks to Kate, that's finally changing and that's a wonderful thing. As Anne Hathaway said in a recent interview, she's grateful to Kate for making it cool to look and wear ladylike clothing again and she's not the only one.

You want to doubt the reports of whatever Kate wears selling out like hotcakes, then that's your right. I'll tell you this though, Holt Renfew in Toronto can't keep their Issa Engagement Announcement Day dresses in stock. Reason being they're gone as soon as they come in. I've also to my great relief noticed a real change in the clothing for the Fall. Yes, things are still "hip" and "young looking", but they're also elegant and lovely.

I'll say it again...Thank The Fashion Gods!!

Oh, because I know you'll bring up yet *again*, if you paid attention you'd know that infamous dress Kate wore for that Fashion Show was two things...

1. A one time night to raise money for a very worthy cause

2. When you model for a Fashion Show, you have no choice in the outfits you're given to wear. You wear whatever the designer you're modelling for decides to have you put on.

As for your "disbelief" of Kate blushing when first meeting William, what's so hard to believe? I believe it, but then I've also met more than my fair share of big name Figure Skaters over the years of going to events and shows. Let me tell you something, when you meet someone "famous" for the first time, you do turn a bit silly and gushy.

I still kick myself over how I acted when I met Four Time World Champion Kurt Browning the first time over twenty years ago. It wasn't pretty and I remember oh too well how giggly I was. And I was a teenager at the time, but I've seen women my Mom's age (almost 80) act all tongue tied and giggly when meeting a famous skater.

So no, it's not impossible to believe Kate got nervous and a bit shy when first introduced to William. In fact, I can easily imagine what was going through her head was something like this...

"OMG...It's *Prince* William right in front of me!!! Now, don't make a fool out of yourself w/him, but what do I say? Then again, maybe it's better if I don't say anything because if I did say something, I'll say something really stupid and then I'll never live it down. Then again, if I don't say something, it'll look rude, but...It's *Prince William*!!!"

Then again, I forgot....Someone who wore a skimpy dress for a Fashion Show would *never* have thought that.

We get it Angela. Now give that poor dead horse a rest please?

I am not trying to do her down. What I am getting at is that I don't believe the tea party dresses act. This is a girl who didn't bat an eyelid at walking into a crowded room dressed like this;

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2010/11/17/article-1289991494685-0C1C419C000005DC-410045_540x584.jpg

I am not at all being critical of her doing that but I am critical of what I perceive to be a false representation of her character ie not that she is immoral but that she isn't as demure (nor IMO should she be) as the impression she is giving. This girl is 29 years old and I think she should enjoy clothes without feeling, because she is now Royal, that she has to look matronly which I'm afraid 99% of the time she does.

Last edited:
:previous: You are certainly entitled to your opinion about Kate and her fashion sense, and what the clothing that she wore for a 10 minute walk down a catwalk at a fashion show for charity, as opposed to what her dress sense is ten years AFTER the fact but after careful thought, I think that Jacknch has the right attitude.

There is really nothing to add.

Last edited:
OMG is it so hard to understand what I am saying? I am not having a go at Kate. What I trying to say is that these previous pics show that she is a girl with a bit of daring and I just wish she would show some of that spirit now instead of wearing dresses that a 60 year old wouldn't look out of place in.

There is nothing matronly about her dress sense... Its classy and mature. As opposed to 'Look at me, Look at me' outfits. This is her style. They only thing she has changed is that she wears panty hose at official events per court decorum. No biggie.

Oh please give it a break Angela. As Xenia had said, if you'd been paying attention over the last decade, you'd notice that Kate's overall fashion sense has always been elegant, but at the same time right for her age. And I Thank the Fashion Gods for that!!
that is so true because there are some royals that cant seem to get it right no matter what help they receive whereas for the last 10yrs kate has a fashion sense about her..u could call it boring , plan but its always fit the event and imo its classy and shows a level of maturity on her part.

I'm sorry but there isn't Kate's style and then the style of "standing on street corners". Ladies Helen and Gabriella Windsor, for example, have been dressing stylish and elegantly for years without looking frumpy. I actually wish they would give Kate pointers on the basics, like when to wear one's hair up with certain hats rather than just going for the curtain effect at every turn and hoping for the best.

Now your complaining about her hair?

I'm sorry. This is nothing frumpy about her style or her hair. She is classic and beautiful. And thats my opinion, obviously you have your own opinion, but I don't think your going to convince most of us. Nuff said.

I'm sorry but there isn't Kate's style and then the style of "standing on street corners". Ladies Helen and Gabriella Windsor, for example, have been dressing stylish and elegantly for years without looking frumpy. I actually wish they would give Kate pointers on the basics, like when to wear one's hair up with certain hats rather than just going for the curtain effect at every turn and hoping for the best.

I don't think Kate dresses "frumpy". What should she be wearing angela? And I am not trying to be snide. I really want to know what you think she should be wearing. Do you have anything in particular in mind, links?:flowers:

And I think I might be one of the few who did not like her hair up while they were in Canada. I prefer it half up, half down, so far. Maybe she'll wear it up soon and I'll like that "do".

Catherine appears to be a lovely young woman. She is slowly finding her style. No one is ready for being hunted by paparazzi as soon as they step outside the way Catherine is. She will eventually build up a wardrobe that fulfills her role as a royal woman that is very close to the throne and yet young and relatively free.

Projection is very tempting but why not let her find her stride at her own pace.

She is going to be a great asset to the royal house and grow into her role just splendidly. She has already shown she has dignity, personality and integrity. The rest will come.

I think the complexity of dressing to: Be a credit to the U.K. -- not too fashion forward, but not too dowdy; keep the spending on super designer togs within the bounds of good sense; look well for the cameras; be true to oneself; represent UK designers; represent the designers of a country/countries being visited; and finally, reflect well on her husband and the rest of the royal family is a seriously daunting task. And she has met the challenge full well! If not every single piece she wears is perfect, she comes very close -- and she is so new at all of this. Her manner is excellent and she carries herself with dignity and a quiet pride, yet is entirely warm and accessible to those with whom she speaks. I fail to understand how anyone can be so critical of this excellent young woman. Let her have her college moments. She surely should not be judged by them. I think we shall all enjoy seeing how she grows and progresses over the years!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom