The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 4: August 2011 - September 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
London designers hail elegant Kate Middleton | Reuters

-> very nice article,the hat with the flower is in my top ten of Kate´s headgear:flowers:
I read that she chose the flower herself to add a personal touch to her outfit, isn´t it lovely?

I also get quite angry about posters who constantly comment on her middle class upbringing,to me she has more class and charisma than most of the royal-born princesses and princes,she´s studied at uni,never said anything silly to the press and didn´t have any scandals or pictures where she´s heavily drunk.
I don´t know what more she could do to be accepted but I guess some ppl with prejudices will never stop picking on her:sad:

Last edited:
dont be a hater just accept the fact that she is a fashion icon....

Dareling if she were a fashion icon then y does she make me wanna go to sleep each time i see her?.. :eek: ..she has no mercy whatsoever looks just so booooring, i luved a couple fascinators n' dresses of late but nothing too exciting for a true fashionista..even Karel's old rags are more dramatic and in vogue..hihi..just kidding.. :p

However, the Times also noted that Middleton's style is not particularly adventurous, "or even especially chic." “She is no Daphne Guinness,” Anna Wintour told the paper.

Thank Heaven!!! Does anyone really want the future Queen of England to look like Daphne Guinness? I think not. Guiness gets comments because she is off the wall .... would anyone really want to look like her? Well.... she is slender and does have lovely bone structure, but as to "fashion" forget it. Most of the time she looks really weird.

The Duchess of Cambridge's Fashion

I think we have to look at this like we should any person's fashion. She will make hits and have misses, like the Duke's mother, but the breath of fresh air she has breathed into the royal family is far more important.
Also, Looks to me like in the past few months she's done a heck of a job as officer's Wife and a Duchess and I look forward to the rest of their lives bcause I have a feeling it will be Great.:crown4:

Kate most likely could be a work in progress and it'll be interesting to see how her tastes evolve, as we saw with Diana.

Kate most likely could be a work in progress and it'll be interesting to see how her tastes evolve, as we saw with Diana.

I think Diana was still a work in progress she died so young. Quite frankly I hope I'm a work in progress if and when I become old and grey. (old anyway, grey is staring to show!!!)

So far I like Kate's "progress"!!!

I think it is okay to be a follower and Kate and William are not after the fashion medals as far as I can see. I like what she wears most of the time and though she may evolve and she isn't a trendsetter I am not sure that she would see that as her job. IMO

Yes, but I perceive one major difference in their approach to fashion: Diana liked to stand out, while Kate prefers to blend in.

At least that's how I see it.

:previous:True, at this point Kate dresses in an understated and elegant way and I don't really see her becoming a fashion trendsetter unless more people just emulate her own style and make it more fashionable. But it's always interesting to see how tastes change as one matures. I certainly don't dress the same now as I did in my 20s and 30s; my tastes in fashion have certainly evolved as I expect Kate's will. Diana, I believe, had a different approach to fashion and it remains to be seen how Kate views and utilizes fashion as part of her lifestyle/position.

Last edited:
:previous:True, at this point Kate dresses in an understated and elegant way and I don't really see her becoming a fashion trendsetter unless more people just emulate her own style and make it more fashionable. .

I think that it is not on Kate's purpose to be a fashion trendsetter. All her previous life, and the patience she had for almost 8 years show that she knows how to "stay calm and behind". Diana used the way to dress (when she started to dress well, because at the beginning it was a catastrophy...) to be in front of the stage, it was her way to take revenge of the failure of her marriage.
Kate is happy, she married the man she loves and he loves her, and she is assisting him on his duties and his position. She does not want to be better than him, she is near him, at his side.

Dareling if she were a fashion icon then y does she make me wanna go to sleep each time i see her?.. :eek: ..she has no mercy whatsoever looks just so booooring, i luved a couple fascinators n' dresses of late but nothing too exciting for a true fashionista..even Karel's old rags are more dramatic and in vogue..hihi..just kidding.. :p

so she make you sleepy..that made me laugh..and i needed that can you give an example of exciting or darning dresses for kate?

I don't think we can compare the two here either. Diana was 19 when she appeared on the royal scene and at that age it's pretty common that one hasn't found an own style. That leaves much room for evolvement indeed. Kate is almost 30 and I guess she has already found her own style and ideas about clothes and accessory. ;) I imagine that she will refine the style we already know, but I don't expect huge surprises (unless she will mainly follow the advices of a stylist).

so she make you sleepy..that made me laugh..and i needed that can you give an example of exciting or darning dresses for kate?

I'm sorry, but I don't like the fact that critical or just plain differing opinions always have to be ridiculed in some way at this forum... If 88hermes feels sleepy when he/she watches Kate's fashion, then there's as little to laugh at as if you say you absolutely love Kate's fashion.
I, for one, absolutely adored Kate's wedding dress and loved the navy blue military-style coat by McQueen, but the rest of her fashion left me quite indifferent or even bored (so far) as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think we can compare the two here either. Diana was 19 when she appeared on the royal scene and at that age it's pretty common that one hasn't found an own style. That leaves much room for evolvement indeed. Kate is almost 30 and I guess she has already found her own style and ideas about clothes and accessory. ;) I imagine that she will refine the style we already know, but I don't expect huge surprises (unless she will mainly follow the advices of a stylist).

Allow me to clarify my post; I'm not comparing the two women with their individual fashion evolvement, either actual or speculative. I had only brought up Diana as an example of how her fashion changed most likely due to her own position and access to designers, and whatever her reasons were for style choices, I'm certainly not comparing Kate to her. I'm sure if Kate decides to tweak her look and experiment, it will continue to reflect her underlying classic style.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I don't like the fact that critical or just plain differing opinions always have to be ridiculed in some way at this forum... If 88hermes feels sleepy when he/she watches Kate's fashion, then there's as little to laugh at as if you say you absolutely love Kate's fashion.
I, for one, absolutely adored Kate's wedding dress and loved the navy blue military-style coat by McQueen, but the rest of her fashion left me quite indifferent or even bored (so far) as well.
no worries its all in fun i also love her style of dress and grooming but for all the other ones who dont they should back up their claim with examples of what she should be wearing.
i love the fact she dresses up to go to the mall or grocery shopping i would love if we all did
what i want to say is not to take our joking to heart its all in fun

I like the way Kate dresses, and I'm sure that I'd probably feel following her style if I were her age (which was almost 20 years ago)--in the same way that I followed Diana's style. In age and body-type, I'm closer to the Duchess of Cornwall; but I don't care for the way she dresses and I really don't know why. I think that Kate might "up the wow factor" when her father-in-law comes to the throne. Her status will be higher then, and so we'll perhaps be seeing more couture garments--along with tiaras and more items of jewelry. I can't see her ever becoming an ostentatious dresser though.

:previous: No, I don't believe ostentation is in Kate's vocabulary, either, and she's dressing in the style that suits her and her position for now. But when Charles comes to the throne, and as the Princess of Wales, she'll hopefully ramp up her look with her clothing and jewels. She can certainly be glamorous without being glitzy.

I tend to agree with what Baroness of Books is saying here - i.e. Catherine will "ramp up" her look once she is the Princess of Wales.

The current fashion trends provide scope for a multitude of looks and ideas and individuality has been particularly key over the last decade or so. Accordingly, Catherine has an almost unlimited choice of outfits within her own defined style and way of dressing. During the 1980's I think the expectations of what one should and could wear were more limited, so anything even slightly racy or new caused a sensation and Diana was good at wearing such new ideas. Remeber when skirts went above the knee in around 1988? It caused a sensation and I remember Diana and Sarah started to wear their skirts short like that. Hemlines have never really come down again.

Nowadays, what people can wear is less restricted and we see all sorts of styles and flamboyance on every highstreet. In order to create the same WOW factor as Diana did back in the 80's, I think Catherine would have to start wearing theatre costume and plumes of feathers!

Last edited:
I agree too with Baroness of Books. I think Kate is capable of "ramping up" her style without being to flashy. Her style is great now, all it needs are a few tweaks here & there.

:previous: No, I don't believe ostentation is in Kate's vocabulary, either, and she's dressing in the style that suits her and her position for now. But when Charles comes to the throne, and as the Princess of Wales, she'll hopefully ramp up her look with her clothing and jewels. She can certainly be glamorous without being glitzy.

I'm in complete agreement. It's not yet time for her to step out and pull the big guns. She'll do that a great deal as a Princess of Wales and Queen Consort.

but whats wrong with how she dress rt now? i think its a great type of style

I'm not a fan of the hat, but I really like the dress. Bright and vibrant (and love the lace).

I personally think she waaaaaay missed the mark here. Dress is fine by itself but doesn't match shoes or hat from these pics and it looks like 3 pieces not an outfit.....I dislike this whole look myself aside from the dress color

I love everything about the outfit except the shoes. They are too shiny and look tacky. If it were me, I would have stuck to suede velvety wine red pumps :)

I like the dress and the color is so complementary to Kate's coloring; she looks fantastic in vibrant jewel tones. But I don't care for the small hat perched on all that hair, which I had read somewhere took 4 hours in a salon to do. And I agree that the shoes look too shiny; red suede pumps would have looked lovely.

Last edited:
I'm not too keen on this latest wedding outfit - althought the colour is a nice vibrant one, the accessorised items don't "lift" the outfit imo. I'm finding these little hats so beloved by young British Royals & their friends/relations are rather tedious & a little pointless when you have ample locks.

I quite liked Kate's lace red dress, I thought it was very pretty and the headpiece was lovely with it. I liked the simplicity of the hat since the dress was busy with being all lace. The only miss of the look was the dark red heels which I thought didn't match the overall look.

Last edited:
Lovely dress ruined by the accessories (often thing with Kate). For me red hat is too much, dress should be the main 'red star' of the outfit. Prada shoes are ok, nothing special. Usual hair covers the top of the dress, make-up is too strong.
Honesty I prefer Pippa's outfit better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom