The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 4: August 2011 - September 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
People who even know about "drama queen gatorade" and feel the need to discuss whether others are drinking it are on the edge of forgetting this is a *fashion* thread, so of course, people are going to go on and on about fashion (and notice that most people said only one or two things - but there are a lot of us on this thread).

Every aspect of her fashion is relevant, in my view, including the way it is seen by the viewing public and whether it was suitable to the occasion (we all have opinions; I actually have none on that point but have read with interest others' opinions and would hate to see people shut down and made to feel like drama queens for expressing those opinions).

How about just sticking to the topic and one's own view of what Kate wore?

And will she please go out in public again soon so we have a different outfit to discuss? Clothes, hair, makeup, handbags (oh, especially handbags - please, let's discuss those).

:previous: Yes, a handbag would be nice to discuss instead of those ubiquitous clutches! :lol:

You know I am not a fan of the clutches (except for social events) and I always wondered why some royals (Kate for our purposes) used them, and than I saw someone (can't remember who) with a handbag, and I kind of got the reason: it just seemed kind of awkward doing an engagement with a shoulder bag. The only happy medium IMO is to use the same type of purses as the Queen.

I always worry with a clutch that you could put it down and easily forget it. And some of them are so tiny you can just about fit a lipstick or cell phone in them, maybe more apropos for evening. I've seen some very nice handbags with shorter straps that can be worn on the arm, but perhaps Kate may not want to emulate the Queen too much in that respect.

One of the few, if only, occasions I've seen Kate with a handbag after her marriage. Of course, this might be too large for an engagement where you're shaking hands and trying to put this on your arm without hitting people with it. But maybe something on a smaller scale. This is departing for Canada where Kate probably needed a large purse to put her stuff in. I really like her whole outfit, actually, and it would have been nice to see a repeat sighting of it:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/06/30/article-2009840-0CCC73CA00000578-849_306x784.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't really call departing for a royal tour an engagement in itself. To be honest, why do they need handbags or clutches on engagements?

One of the few, if only, occasions I've seen Kate with a handbag after her marriage. Of course, this might be too large for an engagement where you're shaking hands and trying to put this on your arm without hitting people with it. But maybe something on a smaller scale. This is departing for Canada where Kate probably needed a large purse to put her stuff in. I really like her whole outfit, actually, and it would have been nice to see a repeat sighting of it:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/06/30/article-2009840-0CCC73CA00000578-849_306x784.jpg

The bag is really beautiful and ladylike,just the right style for Kate:flowers: Her choice of bags/clutches are usually very nice,she has a good eye for the right accessoires to match her mostly minimalistic,subtle dresses and outfits.

I wouldn't really call departing for a royal tour an engagement in itself. To be honest, why do they need handbags or clutches on engagements?

I didn't mean to imply that the departure was a engagement if it came across as such; I just speculated that Kate was using this particular style handbag for her own purposes on the plane since it was larger than she normally wears and seemed more functional. As for the necessity of wearing handbags or clutches, I would think they're useful to keep makeup, mints or tissues in case of emergency. Also, for me, an outfit isn't complete without a handbag to accessorize it; you look too empty-handed. And maybe a clutch or handbag is useful since it gives the carrier something to occupy her hands as a reason to avoid contact when necessary. Or in the case of a new royal, perhaps something secure to hold onto in case of nerves or jitters. I know this is a bit OT, but I read that the Queen keeps a lot of items in her handbag and uses it as signals to guests and staff of her intentions. There is a link to that article in case anyone is interested, but I don't want to put it here since this isn't the place for the Queen's fashion.

I think Catherine looks very nice in this picture. I like all of it, however as I recall some people complained that she looked like she was going to a job interview ... or some such nonsense.

I've always liked clutches -- they are neat, sleek, and sophisticated -- but mine are large enough to be easily tucked under the arm, and they usually have straps or chains that are normally tucked inside but allow them to hang from my shoulder if necessary. Catherine's are so tiny that I'm not sure I see the point of them beyond giving her something to do with her hands and acting as a "finishing touch" accessory -- which, truth to tell, is a reasonable purpose, I suppose.

Both sisters are very nice, of course i prefer CAtherine, she is prettier.

A strange thing. I always thought that Catherine is much taller than her sister, but.. no. They have the same height.

Catherine looks about 3 or 4 inches taller than Pippa in these photos, to my eye. :flowers:

They were on sloping ground in the picture I saw, with Pippa standing on the higher portion. There's a good 4/5-inch difference in height, but I still think Catherine is not as tall as 5'10", despite the claims

I like that casual outfit, but I won't disagree with CrownPrincess5 that the pale peach of the sweater may not be the best color for her. And I wouldn't spend that much money on wellies, assuming What Kate Wore has the prices right. And I thought my Hunters were expensive!

They were on sloping ground in the picture I saw, with Pippa standing on the higher portion. There's a good 4/5-inch difference in height, but I still think Catherine is not as tall as 5'10", despite the claims

I like that casual outfit, but I won't disagree with CrownPrincess5 that the pale peach of the sweater may not be the best color for her. And I wouldn't spend that much money on wellies, assuming What Kate Wore has the prices right. And I thought my Hunters were expensive!

I read that Catherine is 1.78cm and always pippa looked shorter. You are right pippa stands in a higher place. Like the wellies.

I think Kate looks really good in jewel tones; that purple dress she wore in Canada and the purple sweater on her grocery trips complement her coloring so well.

Baroness of Books, I agree. She wears intense, definite colors very well, and I loved both that purple Issa dress and the deep purple Ralph Lauren sweater. We may not see much of her this fall, but with cooler weather, I hope that she'll be getting away from the pale summer shades and neutrals and choosing richer, more resonant tones that will work well with her coloring.

Doesn't all ladies need a clutch or handbag? :whistling:
It completes a ladies look, you can also put quick items that you might not find at engagements or are not at easy reach like tissue.

I agree, she deserves a bit of a fashion break.
Totally agree with this - she never looks awful. We all have our different tastes and ideas how Kate should look but some of the criticism she's been getting lately is way ott. I personally find there is always something I like or find interesting about her clothes/accessories.

Totally agree with this - she never looks awful. We all have our different tastes and ideas how Kate should look but some of the criticism she's been getting lately is way ott. I personally find there is always something I like or find interesting about her clothes/accessories.

Ditto. She gets it right 99.9% of the time, and almost always, there's something to compliment.

I think Catherine's dress was more than a little 'Majorette' looking for a very big Brass Band. Could VW have done worse? :D

Vivienne Westwood has absolutely NO clue how to design anything respectable or suitable for anyone. In fact she is the one who came up with the dreadful outfit Princess Eugenie wore to William and Kate's wedding. As for Kate's so called "majorette" outfit, I actually loved it. So chic and elegant and very, very Kate indeed. Loved the gold buttons too.

Last edited:
Vivienne Westwood has absolutely NO clue how to design anything respectable or suitable for anyone. In fact she is the one who came up with the dreadful outfit Princess Eugenie wore to William and Kate's wedding. .

Finally a logical word!!!!

How could people believe that this crazy out of mesure outfits could be worn by a person with the class of Kate, and being the future Queen of UK for instance!!!!! :lol:

Finally a logical word!!!!

How could people believe that this crazy out of mesure outfits could be worn by a person with the class of Kate, and being the future Queen of UK for instance!!!!! :lol:
-----------------------------------------

Actually, I take exception to both statements :previous:. If one can look past the models' makeup, there is more than one item from the Fall/Winter 2011-12 collection that I'd like to add to my wardrobe.

Semisquare, the fact that the Queen doesn't carry much in her handbags doesn't mean that a modern, much younger princess wouldn't have quite a lot she might want to carry. The Duchess doesn't have a lady-in-waiting at the moment, and she goes shopping for groceries and clothes. She needs a wallet or credit card holder for those trips, and perhaps she carries some grooming items in her larger bags: hair brush, lip gloss, nail file, etc. These days, almost no one is without a phone.

What the Queen does may not be what other royals do.

Vivienne Westwood states in the article that she wants Kate to be extraordinary in her fashion. Well, maybe Kate wants to be her own version of extraordinary which is a low-key, subtle and classic style. What designers want and expect, and what Kate desires are two different things and she needs to dress according to her own tastes and lifestyle, not live up to what others demand of her. Give her a break, indeed!

Semisquare, the fact that the Queen doesn't carry much in her handbags doesn't mean that a modern, much younger princess wouldn't have quite a lot she might want to carry. The Duchess doesn't have a lady-in-waiting at the moment, and she goes shopping for groceries and clothes. She needs a wallet or credit card holder for those trips, and perhaps she carries some grooming items in her larger bags: hair brush, lip gloss, nail file, etc. These days, almost no one is without a phone.

What the Queen does may not be what other royals do.

Exactly, Vittoria, every modern woman needs a handbag or accessory in which to carry necessary items, and Kate doesn't seem any different even if her lifestyle certainly differs from ours.

Last edited:
ok but here is my question..wont the bag get in the way of meeting and greeting people? huh...huh... im telling you imo she should use and keep the clutch again imo

Actually I think that is why she (and others) use the clutch. And older royal ladies (such as the Queen and the late Queen Mother) used handbags but not shoulder bags. It might be more of a hassle to meet and greet while worrying about your shoulder bag falling off your shoulder.

Westwood is certainly not for me, either. Clutches are so darling, and sophisticated too - and all Kate needs to do is acquire more of them.

What I would want if I were a princess:

Balenciaga Pink Clutch Bag

I'd want a bunch of others, too. That would be my weakness. I'd also want some Balenciaga firsts to wear on my arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom