The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 01:22 AM
Nobility

I liked the skirt but the shirt was too much with it - it ended up looking a bit like a costume. I would love to see this skirt again but with a plainer shirt.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:58 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

While I didint see the necessity to "dress down" I didnt see the necessity to show up in a brand new look-at-me Sarah Burton combo on this particular occasion either.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...11_306x948.jpg
A simple elegant non-label-screaming suit would have done it. But this is not only over the top but takes away the attention from the purpose, why she was there.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:16 AM
Commoner

Having respectfully read everyone's post since yesterdays visits, it's very interesting to hear the varied opinion. For my part I woul firstly, like to say that on the subect of the outfit being to formal, this was the third day of royal visits, Wednesday Charles and Camilla visit parts of London, including Tottenham and Croydon (bearing in mind their age and position) formal suit and skirt and jacket attire woukd be considered appropriate. Thursday Harry was in Salford he was also formally dressed in a suit, bearing that in mind when William and Catherine visited Birmingham on Friday dressing down (bearing in mind they were not helping with the pratical matters of the clean up) would have looked odd in the context of the previous days. I would assume William's suits cost a fair bit (apprechiating that they are worn frequently) but this skirt/blouse combo can together and sepreatly be worn many times in different ways and build up as a staple in her working wardrobe. I believe the pencil skirt cost £580 and the blouse £795, I apprechiate that this is more than the day after the wedding day Zara dress, but this was a royal visit for an important issue, they were visiting humble victims familes, the day after the funerals, emergency services that dealt with the riots, community leaders that are dealing with the aftermath and victims and communitites that have been effected. Of course a previously worn outfit could have been worn but the visit was meant to be a boost for the community, the occassion needed it to be formal and I am sure that there are many skirts and blouses available that cost more. More frevioulsly, I think she looked stylish and classic, the skirt had wonderful splits and it fell beautifully, but personally I do like nearly everything she wears. It's interesting that she usually wears smart dresses to daytime occasions in Canada, so it was refreshing to see a skirt and blouse and I have read that Sarah Burton designed it to be worn together, so prehaps for its first outing, it's nice to see it together. It was teamed with her prada shoes and just simply earrings and no clutch (prehaps that was the subtle dressing down, no clutch and minimum jewellery.
I do have one other though that when Catherine wears Sarah Burton designs, to places, it lets them have a fealing to the occassion of her wedding day, the knitted dress tp Prince Edward Island etc, equally the Canada Day dress could easily have warrented a new dress but wearing the offical engagement photos dress is letting us into that time, same for her earring in Birmingham from the day the engagement was announced. This is of course just my opinion but Catherine seems to really like to be symbolic and right not what she wears shows this.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:33 AM
Courtier

This outfit looked too much like a costume, according to me. When I first saw it, I couldn't believe it! It seems that this was a wrong outfit for a very important event. However, an outfit is just an outfit, and Catherine was perfect, smiling nicely to people, listening to them with a lot of attention... She did her job perfectly well.
I only wish that she would wear this skirt with an other shirt, I'm sure this could be really beautiful! I'm still disapointed by her eyes make-up, it should be lighter, I'm really convinced that it would softened her beautiful face a lot.
I really love these shoes. Does anybody knows which brand they are? Thanks!
Old 08-20-2011, 07:39 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyKate
I really love these shoes. Does anybody knows which brand they are? Thanks!
According various sites she has at least 3 pairs of Navy pumps, one are Blahniks, the second Prada and the third are suede and so far have been unidentifible. I believe these are those. Many news outlets report the blue suede as Prada but per WKW and such sites they are not Prada, her prada blue ones are different.......so to answer your question they are an unknown brand or Prada depending on your source
Old 08-20-2011, 07:57 AM
Courtier

^ Thanks! So it seems that I fell in love with the most mysterious shoes owned by Catherine?!
Old 08-20-2011, 08:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Someone had mentioned in an earlier comment about the possibility of Kate's eyeliner being tattooed on. I thought that was an interesting observation. I really hope this isn't the case since the effect is permanent and gives the wearer no chance to ever reverse it. You're committed to a certain look and if you change your mind, I doubt you can use a laser to remove a tattoo in the eye area. Only time will tell with this one.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathl29 View Post
I liked the skirt but the shirt was too much with it - it ended up looking a bit like a costume. I would love to see this skirt again but with a plainer shirt.
I'm sure you will...see it again, I mean.

I agree with brehinol that Kate can combine it in many ways to give a different.appearance.

As for the eyeliner, I very much doubt that it is tattooed; there was a great deal of publicity when the idea first became trendy, but I don't think many people (not counting Michael Jackson) actually adopted the fad.

Women realize that styles of makeup change too; they wouldn't want to be stuck with a permanent, outdated look.
Besides, I've seen some pictures of Kate without eyeliner someplace (although now I don't remember the occasion).
Old 08-20-2011, 09:08 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm sure we will eventually see Kate combine the skirt and blouse in myriad ways, given her tendency to recycle her outfits. I wouldn't mind seeing the blouse with a plain skirt or slacks, and the skirt with a simpler blouse. As for the eyeliner tattoo theory, I hope you're right that she didn't have it done, Mirabel, and I'd love to see pictures of Kate minus that liner!
Old 08-20-2011, 10:21 AM

Catherine's visit ti Birmingham

I think Catherine should have worn A much more simple outfit - this was a visit to people who have suffered because of the riots in Birmingham after all. On the other hand, people might have wanted to seen her 'dressed up' a bit. But let us not forget the occasion - and please don't forget she is relatively knew to the role.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:40 AM
Aristocracy

Though I don't care for the outfit as a whole, according to "What Kate Wore," the blouse has a pretty peplum effect when worn untucked, and it's a shame to hide it by tucking it into the skirt. It would look attractive worn untucked with, say, just a pair of skinny jeans and navy flats.

And, as some people have suggested, the skirt might look better worn with another piece. Together, they simply look too "costume-y".
Old 08-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
While I didint see the necessity to "dress down" I didnt see the necessity to show up in a brand new look-at-me Sarah Burton combo on this particular occasion either.
A simple elegant non-label-screaming suit would have done it. But this is not only over the top but takes away the attention from the purpose, why she was there.
Please don't act like a drama king...
Old 08-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Please don't act like a drama king...
... seems there are a lot of drama kings on the board who share this sentiment ...
Old 08-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade
Totally agree with you.
This outfit was too loud for the event. Like I said before, Kate does not even have the curves to wear a dress like this. She looked like she was going to a costume party.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
... seems there are a lot of drama kings on the board who share this sentiment ...
It can be positive or less positive.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Serene Highness

The thing about recycling this outfit is that it will announce "recycled outfit" if she ever wears either part without the other. Since they are designed to go together and are practically a dress, I'm guessing she keeps it that way.

I was a little surprised at the price tag for the outfit (mentioned above) and would hope she'd get more than one use out of it. I think she'd have done well to wear a blazer, a blouse with a hint of military styling (if she was keen on that) and a well-styled navy blue skirt. She should take a page from her husband's book - get a very well fitting suit and wear it often, don't fall into the fashion doll trap.

The outfit makes me think that her designer (was it Burton again?) got her keyed up about looking "military" (having run out of ideas) and we can look for more of the same "theming" in the future, until Kate gets more of a handle on how she wants to handle her daily daytime style.

Now I can't wait to see when (and if) she wears this again.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:02 PM
Heir Apparent

I really didn't see the reason for a military look for the purpose of this particular visit. When William and Kate attended the Irish Guards Medal Parade in June and he was dressed in his uniform, I liked how Kate also picked up the theme of the occasion in her outfit. There, it was more suitable; here, not so. I also think wearing a jacket or blazer would have completed the outfit; to me, she looked like she walked out of the house missing a critical item of clothing. I will never forget the day years ago when I rushed out of my house late to work to commute to Manhattan, forgetting my suit jacket hanging on the stair newel. I felt so uncomfortable throughout the day just wearing my long-sleeved blouse and skirt. I'm just glad I didn't forget anything else! Just my opinion, as always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
You are a very wicked person with an incredibly warped sense of humour, although in this case, I'll give you a pass.
Thank you! Sometimes my sense of humor can be a tad off the wall; keeps life interesting.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

I also think that a simple skirt and coat would be fine for this kind of event...she is overdressed...way too mucht!
Old 08-20-2011, 05:32 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

The wool-crepe skirt & the military silk-georgette blouse wore by Catherine during her visit in Birmingham.
I like the skirt, has a nice style. I'm not a big fan of the blouse, I would have preferred a more simple style for the blouse.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Good gawd people its an ugly outfit, its not like she committed high treason.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Closed Thread