The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

I, too, see this as a day dress. This type of garment is what I wear when I'm working. Nowhere near a cocktail dress. However, cocktail attire may be different in some parts of the world. This dress could pass for cocktails in my patch if it were black and were worn with some serious jewellery.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Gentry

Bored to tears...the dress (bland), the hair (always in the way). Starting to think she does need a stylist.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:00 PM
Aristocracy

Dress nice and simple, hair all over the place and eyeliner as usual too much
Old 09-29-2011, 05:34 PM
Courtier

Great look,very pretty dress and shoes.
But why on earth is she always wearing dresses.I hope to see her in skirts or different type of dresses.
As usual I dislike her eye liner and her hair hanging down
Old 09-29-2011, 05:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by soraya View Post
Great look,very pretty dress and shoes.
But why on earth is she always wearing dresses.I hope to see her in skirts or different type of dresses.
As usual I dislike her eye liner and her hair hanging down
Anything else?
Old 09-29-2011, 05:56 PM
Heir Apparent

She doesn't look like a "working princess" to me. The hair and the tiny evening clutch scream "I wanna be at a cocktail party". Honestly, one puff of wind and she'd look a like she'd been pulled thruough a bush backwards and I cannot believe she would find salvation in her itsy, bitsy, teeny, weeny clutch!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Aristocracy

Her hair is all one length so when it falls free from the crown it falls on to her face. If it had a little layering around the front it would look less messy. As Pippa wears her hair the same way it must be family fashion ( as is the eyeliner )
Old 09-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
Anything else?
Did I say something wrong?
Old 09-29-2011, 06:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I hope she doesn't wear the skirt and jacket together. Separately, they are nice pieces. The skirt would look great with a black cashmere twinset. The jacket would be good with a short black circle skirt to soften the boxyness. As for the jacket looking like cheap material; well, you get what you pay for. When you're the stay-at-home spouse of a soldier, I guess you can't do couture. Those feather thingie earrings are really beyond cheap looking.

I hope this frugalness is not a sign that she is bored and is doing theraputic shopping. I'm not going to speculate...
If Kate ever stepped out wearing those two items together, I'd really have to revoke her fashion membership card immediately! I'm sure she purchased them to wear separately; I can't imagine anyone thinking that those colors could be worn together (but you never know!). Anyway, I like your suggestions of what she can wear with the jacket and skirt.

As for today's outing, no surprises here, which is what I'm expecting now. The dress is simple and elegant in a low-key color, and showcases Kate's figure beautifully. A long necklace might have relieved the simplicity. Her hair is in her usual style. I agree that this garment in black with the appropriate accessories could really be spiced up into a nice cocktail dress with a pashmina in a dramatic jewel color. I wouldn't mind seeing Kate wear a more substantial day clutch, though, rather than that small one that's more suitable for evening wear.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by soraya View Post
Did I say something wrong?
Not from what I see. You covered the bases in the nicest possible way.
  • She looks nice and you like her dress: I agree.
  • You want to see a little variety in her clothes: I agree.
You took the words from my mouth about the eyeliner, and, as shown in some of the photo's, her hair turned into rats tails on the ends!
Old 09-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

I loved Catherine's dress today, it was such a lovely fit on her. I also love her hair. Her hair is really long, therefore she's limited as to what she can really do with it when she wears it down so perhaps she should try more updos? The shoes we have seen before (on just about every British Royal woman), but I do love them.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Royal Highness

http://whatkatewore.com/

Apparently the Duchess owns it in more then one color, I'd love it in grey! Nice dress

Update- never mind, still love it but just say the price....way outta my range!

Update 2- love this desc of Kate's hairstyle at the Nat'l portrait Gallery tour- we we'd have seen it

“She was dressed all in black — she must have been boiling because it was a really hot day in London — in knee-length black boots, black tights and a slim-fitting black dress,” the onlooker says. “She had her hair up, completely pulled up into a twist at the back.”
Old 09-29-2011, 07:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
What Kate Wore

Apparently the Duchess owns it in more then one color, I'd love it in grey! Nice dress

Update- never mind, still love it but just say the price....way outta my range!
It's a really nice dress, especially in "gunmetal" (grey simply was not good enough apparently). I tried to ignore the price of the dress, then I happened to look through all the other AW dresses and discovered the one Sophie wore to the Monaco wedding and then my mouth dropped at the price, haha. Wayyyyyyyyyy out of my range, even if I saved for half a year, haha.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Serene Highness

You all are so loyal. You are able to keep up quite a fashion conversation when there's so little to work with (right now). Well, some of you are more like me (bored to tears).
Old 09-29-2011, 08:34 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi
You all are so loyal. You are able to keep up quite a fashion conversation when there's so little to work with (right now). Well, some of you are more like me (bored to tears).
If she is wearing the same style dress , hair and eye makeup in 2 years time I'll be bored to tears too
Old 09-29-2011, 08:47 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that beige isn't one of Kate's best colours. IMO she looks better in something vivid. That fitted dress in a jewel tone or other bold colour would have looked terrific.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I think that beige isn't one of Kate's best colours. IMO she looks better in something vivid. That fitted dress in a jewel tone or other bold colour would have looked terrific.
Wow, you took the words right out of mouth! The dress is impeccably fitted and designed, but a dash of color would have been more flattering...even if only in the shoes or accessories. Oh well, I'd rather see Catherine wearing anything than not see her at all!
Old 09-29-2011, 08:51 PM
Serene Highness

Trimming the ends of long hair is considered obligatory grooming by some people - the ends of Kate's hair bother me too - but I find it interesting that her slice of English culture is obviously not as obsessed with hair ends as L.A. or parts of Hawaii - much like when I was young. We didn't care.

The eyeliner is similar. I was pretty aware that only very young women still wore heavier eyeliner by the time I was 25, and that it had a certain connotation - but obviously, it's fine with Kate. For awhile I was at a loss as to what to do instead, but then made the transition to a push brush and MAC products - took about 30 minutes to change over, still has an eyeliner effect, but not nearly as obvious or harsh. I was probably 34-35 when I made the switch but my friends considered me slow.

Today, one might expect experimentation with powdered liners or self-mixed liquid liners (doesn't take that much time) rather than the quick and easy liquid liner she seems to be wearing daily. This tells me that within her circle, women don't speak about these things much and/or no one is willing to come forward and show her an alternative (find it hard to believe she wouldn't switch if she compared views of herself in the mirror; if I'm wrong, then she sees her own face in a different way than people see themselves where I live).

Of course, in both of the places I inhabit, makeup and hair have to stand up to scrutiny under outdoor sun - and people are pretty style conscious (especially when it comes to hair). By style, I mean "health". Healthy hair is a must. There is a way of wearing hair Hawaiian style that allows for some ruffled ends (I'm sure most of you have seen pictures of it), but that would be Hawaiian style, not English style. Kate has the hairstyle of a woman stuck in the late 90's/early new millennium.

Anyone laying bets on whether she ever changes? (And when?) Will she always have this hairstyle? (Diana's hairstyle varied some, but was essentially the same length; for Kate, I'm wondering if she'll keep it the same length but, as someone mentioned, maybe put in some subtle layers or highlighting?). Any takers? She's gotta change sometime! (Or not - look at Camilla!)
Old 09-29-2011, 08:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
Trimming the ends of long hair is considered obligatory grooming by some people - the ends of Kate's hair bother me too - but I find it interesting that her slice of English culture is obviously not as obsessed with hair ends as L.A. or parts of Hawaii - much like when I was young. We didn't care.

The eyeliner is similar. I was pretty aware that only very young women still wore heavier eyeliner by the time I was 25, and that it had a certain connotation - but obviously, it's fine with Kate. For awhile I was at a loss as to what to do instead, but then made the transition to a push brush and MAC products - took about 30 minutes to change over, still has an eyeliner effect, but not nearly as obvious or harsh. I was probably 34-35 when I made the switch but my friends considered me slow.

Today, one might expect experimentation with powdered liners or self-mixed liquid liners (doesn't take that much time) rather than the quick and easy liquid liner she seems to be wearing daily. This tells me that within her circle, women don't speak about these things much and/or no one is willing to come forward and show her an alternative (find it hard to believe she wouldn't switch if she compared views of herself in the mirror; if I'm wrong, then she sees her own face in a different way than people see themselves where I live).

Of course, in both of the places I inhabit, makeup and hair have to stand up to scrutiny under outdoor sun - and people are pretty style conscious (especially when it comes to hair). By style, I mean "health". Healthy hair is a must. There is a way of wearing hair Hawaiian style that allows for some ruffled ends (I'm sure most of you have seen pictures of it), but that would be Hawaiian style, not English style. Kate has the hairstyle of a woman stuck in the late 90's/early new millennium.

Anyone laying bets on whether she ever changes? (And when?) Will she always have this hairstyle? (Diana's hairstyle varied some, but was essentially the same length; for Kate, I'm wondering if she'll keep it the same length but, as someone mentioned, maybe put in some subtle layers or highlighting?). Any takers? She's gotta change sometime! (Or not - look at Camilla!)
Regarding her hairstyle, my guess is that it is either a security blanket for her or her husband simply likes it that way. Probably both. I wish she would wear it up more often (purple dress in Canada) because I think it's really stunning and, as a side benefit, stays neat and tidy without fiddling. I've given up thinking about the eyeliner issue!

PS - Don't see the hair changing until she's around 40.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:59 PM
Aristocracy

with all the comments about Catherine's eyeliner - go back and look at pictures of her mother at ascot or the wedding. she does the same thing.