The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Aristocracy

Oh I'm so tired of these little hats perched at a stupid angle on the head/forehead, they remind me of that cleaning product that you "stamp" your toilet bowl with.

The lace dress is pretty but how is it Kate manages to make these outfits look boring and almost mousy? Is it just me? It's like she's not really wearing the dress, it's wearing her. Her fashion sense is confused - expensive pieces, not fitting together properly. I still get the feeling she's caught between wanting to look elegant and not wanting to be accused of being a fashionista.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Aristocracy

DScarebaby, I disagree. I think you picked up the "not wearing but wearing her" comment (often used for many years, in newspaper and fashion articles and even minor novels) without being quite sure what it meant.

It refers to an outfit that is so flashy, noticeable, sui generis, so progressive and fashion-forward, even avant-garde and high couture, that you can't even see the wearer for the dress -- or whatever it is. That she is utterly overwhelmed by it, more or less disappearing beneath it. That is not the case with the Duchess, and it certainly is NOT the case with this dress.

This a simple design, a cut of the type she has always liked. She's wearing it, not vice-versa.

I'm pleased by the strong color, since I was getting a bit tired of the neutrals she likes and since she wears reds and roses well. My only problem with the dress is that I'm not excited by heavy lace. However, the cut is sleek and to my taste, I love the chic little hat, and the dark-ruby shoes work, too.

Not my favorite look owing to the lace, but not bad at all.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Just want to say that I hope the fascinator trend doesn't die soon. I think it is fantastic and a great accessory for younger royals who aren't in love with the ancient hat tradition.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Nobility

The lace and hat are attracting. Her hair flowed really well. I thought everything about her was wonderful. I can see why she is the majestical. She never appears to fail me and who I thought she was. I'm happy again to see her for it's not so often the grace. Thanks for the link. It's an honor reading here. Someday I won't shy away. Excuse me for now.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Catherine looked lovely. Very appropriate for a wedding. They sure have lots of friend getting married this summer.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Seriously what is up with that? The most my friends do is have babies. Seems W,K, n P always have some friend walking down the aisle.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:55 AM
Nobility

Lovely to see Catherine in red. I agree with those who have said she looks good in vibrant jewel tones. I'm eagerly waiting to see the additional pictures to form an opinion of her look at the wedding though. Her hair and the make up are what I've come to expect from Catherine -- part of her signature style! As for everything else, from the photos I've seen, something about it looks off to me -- the fabric, the undergarment, the shiny shoes, the matching red hat. Hopefully it's just a case of bad photography! Or perhaps it's not as delicate a look as I associate her with.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:22 AM
Majesty

I think that a flesh-toned lining under that dress would have been nicer than the black one. A simpler hat would have been nice, too. Am I right in thinking that's the red hat that she wore on Canada Day? The reds don't quite match.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Only if the maple leaf she wore on the hat for Canada Day was removable. If so then it is probably the same hat.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:35 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Apparently Kates red/raspberry lace dress is by Erdem and her shoes by Prada.
Erdem does have a great fit for Kate, hope to see her more in his designs.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:41 AM
Heir Apparent

She really love lace dresses...she looks lovely in this dress, I really like it!
Old 09-26-2011, 07:06 AM
Courtier

I agree. It is not so easy to "pull off" a lace dress, more especially a brilliant shade of raspberry. However, Kate quite obviously does this with absolute ease and elegance. I do believe she took a bit of a chance here.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:45 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
Apparently Kates red/raspberry lace dress is by Erdem and her shoes by Prada.
Erdem does have a great fit for Kate, hope to see her more in his designs.
I do believe the red lace dress is by Colette Dinnigan. To me Kate looks a healthy weight now - not quite so slim as before. Agree about the hat - not quite the same red, and the shoes - nah - dress is great thou
Old 09-26-2011, 08:04 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
I personally think she waaaaaay missed the mark here. Dress is fine by itself but doesn't match shoes or hat from these pics and it looks like 3 pieces not an outfit.....I dislike this whole look myself aside from the dress color
I have to agree. Somehow she has managed to make this outfit look boring and yet the individual pieces are anything but.

If she had wanted to lift it out of the realm of boring I suggest a killer up do under that fascinator would have given a whole new look, a break between the dress and hat, instead of the usual pedestrian "sheep" look favoured by her friends and sister, of ever longer locks obscuring half the face, the neck and neckline of the dress.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:40 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Front view
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-fNJv7UexrU...onwedding2.jpg
Old 09-26-2011, 09:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystiblue View Post
I do believe the red lace dress is by Colette Dinnigan. To me Kate looks a healthy weight now - not quite so slim as before. Agree about the hat - not quite the same red, and the shoes - nah - dress is great thou
Erdem has a blue lace dress. Is that the same in red?

She wore also a similar in blue, on their Canada trip. SAme designer?

I do not like the shoes either. But the dress is super.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:46 AM
Administrator

For all you true fashionistas out here who are looking for something edgy as it relates to Catherine's style of dress, accessories and/or hair. I think you have a long wait.

Since the eyes of the world are on her (and I think we can all agree that they are) IMO Catherine isn't going to do anything (as evidenced by Zara's wedding as well as this wedding) to bring additional attention to herself. So as long as she is with other members of the BRF (like the Queen, Charles and/or Camilla) she isn't going to do something totally edgy in regards to fashion or her hair. At this point, the attention is on her because she is new, young and pretty. Similar to other people who have joined royal families At some point, they have to hope that this dies down.

Maybe when its just her and William but even than I doubt it...her role is to support her husband not to take attention from him.

And let's not forget that sometimes it takes a while to develop a style or feel comfortable in your new role that you can take risks. That's what happens when people lose weight for example. Now they can wear certain things and fashion is fun. Or when you have new actresses who are trying to develop a career. Does anyone remember the horrors that Halle Berry, Julia Roberts, Nicole Kidman, Renee, Z. and/or Sandra Bullock wore when they first started acting. I do, and it wasn't pretty.

So if she isn't going to do solo engagements until 2012 (that have nothing to do with the Jubilee) that's when you should expect to see a different Catherine IMO. Until than, she will fly under the radar so to speak.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:54 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystiblue
I do believe the red lace dress is by Colette Dinnigan. :
I believe you're right. I think whatkatewore.com tracked it down officially even though DM said wrong designer.

Will and Kate are at that age where all there group is begining to marry, my husband and I once went to 12 weddings in 18 months due to everyone being 'that age'.... Can you imagine the baby showers to come?
Old 09-26-2011, 10:48 AM
Royal Highness

MRSJ-I also see everyone around me getting married or pregnant *lol*
I didn´t visit so many weddings like you but it´s good to see that young people are not afraid to tie the knot and accept responsibility.

The red dress reminded me of her blue Erdem dress she wore in Canada but then I looked at the pictures and noticed that only the silhouette is the same while the design is a little bit different.
I looked up Colette Dinnigan (Collette Dinnigan) but I didn´t find Kate´s dress in the collection...I´never knew that designer before but now I´ve seen pictures of her dresses & I really like her designs a lot :-) It would be great to see the duchess in some of her clothes,they would certainly look good on her!
Old 09-26-2011, 11:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
The bride looked wonderful in her somewhat unique gown. Very pretty.

As for Kate's outfit, I'm hoping the color did not photograph true. If that was the color, the whole thing is awful...and the shoes are gorgeous, but not a good match.

Closed Thread