The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 08:18 PM
Heir Apparent

I have read the negative opinions of Catherine's fashion taste and in some cases I totally agree and in others I do not. We all have outfits that really look great and make us feel great and others that are sort of meh! They take up closet space and we wear them on occasion.

Catherine seems like a pretty average woman of her age but I read with some concern the ultimate snobbish put-down of "middle-class" taste and concluding with "Soap star". These are not fashion evaluations but those of class, of someone who thinks Catherine is middle class and trying to look upper class with her crowning achievement being a "Soap star" look. Now that is just plain nasty, just when you think we are grading on an egalitarian curve along come those who feel an inalienable sense of superiority based on an accident of birth. Theirs!

This sort of snotty put-down has nothing to do with the discussion of The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion and the terms used have nothing to do with a serious discussion of her fashion. It does however speak to an incredible sense of self-entitlement.

Is it too much to ask those of the abovementioned mindset to keep it to themselves or find anther outlet for their snobbery and let those inclined to continue their often passionate but harmless dabate about fashion?

Old 09-16-2011, 08:28 PM
Heir Apparent

I disagree. I think that she has a lot of dignity and presence for someone who--as we are constantly reminded--came from humble beginnings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post
Well, apart from her position and body (before the weight loss) there isn't anything special about her I'm afraid.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:30 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Catherine seems like a pretty average woman of her age but I read with some concern the ultimate snobbish put-down of "middle-class" taste and concluding with "Soap star". These are not fashion evaluations but those of class, of someone who thinks Catherine is middle class and trying to look upper class with her crowning achievement being a "Soap star" look.
There's a poster in this thread named "soapstar" who was being addressed by name. Kate wasn't being compared to a soap star.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoorMeansLight View Post
She hasn't done bad, that's true. The thing with that Duchess is that she's faking it. I see no real grace, no natural elegance in this girl, sorry. She can wear the best-tailored suit, stand correctly etc. but then she'll soon crack that silly smile and her middle-class mediocrity is back... Don't get me wrong, she dresses well (just well, I haven't spotted any superb appearance yet) but ordinarily 'elegant', her style just doesn't interest me anymore. My two cents.
I think you're being a bit harsh. I think if she tried to be more 'upper class' (whatever that means, by the way), she would be considered a 'snob' and be accused of putting on airs. She has done a great job, and dressed appropriately for pretty much all occasions she needed to be at. Her style reflects who she is; and she's a person who wants to stay true to herself. She's simple, classy, and mature. Her style reflects that.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:50 AM
Nobility

IMHO a member of the Roylty doesn't have AND shouldn't compete with hollywood/bollywood or other "stars" - so, I think she does it right (even if I find most of her dresses boooooooring), but she is young in her job - so doing it safe is fine with me.

Thank god - life isn't only about appearence :) (but I know that it is important non the less)
Old 09-17-2011, 11:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
What I am trying to understand though, is what you mean by middle-class mediocrity?

It means I find her average in a negative sense.
She doesn't have to be super rich or haughty or come from the 'upper classes' to be considered special or regal. It's the way she carries herself that is fake, she can act and keep it up for a while, then something will ultimately 'betray' how uncomfortable she feels in her new role. I suggested the silly smile, which indicates nervousness and lack of confidence and class - it's much more than that. All that is reasonable of course, don't get me wrong. I understand her, she could never have an aristocratic bearing, like Diana for example, and for obvious reasons. I wouldn't like to elaborate because the middle class comment has annoyed some posters.
Last but not least, all of the above is just a personal point of view.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
There are several definitions of mediocre. I take it to mean "average." There are some who use it negatively and some, positively.

I think mediocre fits Kate, whether she had been born poor or rich.

As far as Kate's fashion goes, with a couple of exceptions --- she looks like all the people I see on a daily basis. To me, her style is neither exceptional nor abominable.
I totally agree with you, Kitty. You summed it up perfectly.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:06 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoorMeansLight View Post
It means I find her average in a negative sense.
She doesn't have to be super rich or haughty or come from the 'upper classes' to be considered special or regal. It's the way she carries herself that is fake, she can act and keep it up for a while, then something will ultimately 'betray' how uncomfortable she feels in her new role. I suggested the silly smile, which indicates nervousness and lack of confidence and class - it's much more than that. All that is reasonable of course, don't get me wrong. I understand her, she could never have an aristocratic bearing, like Diana for example, and for obvious reasons. I wouldn't like to elaborate because the middle class comment has annoyed some posters.
Last but not least, all of the above is just a personal point of view.
I guess I just don't see the need to include the "middle class" part. I understand that you see her as mediocre or average, but the reference to her middle class roots seems like a really personal dig and honestly has nothing to do with her style or personality.

I don't think the way she carries herself is fake or classless. IMO, she comes across as very poised and classy. And it's pretty normal if she feels uncomfortable in her new role. Who wouldn't? I imagine all of the other women (and men) that have married into the royal families have felt the exact same way. Maybe I'm misreading your post, but I just don't see how any of that translates into her being fake or classless. But, we can agree to disagree.

Anyway, I recently noticed that there are a few royal wives (Charlene, Kate, Letizia) that seem to get some serious snark in their fashion threads. It goes beyond, "I hate that outfit" or "her style sucks" and gets into some serious digs about their mental state, their upbringing, their bodies, etc. I don't know why that happens, but I think it sucks.

It's okay, Marg. I didn't take offense.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:31 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
That still does not alter the fact that a woman with little fashion knowledge and absolutely no experience is setting trends that Anna Wintour and company can only dream about and are bent out of shape that this nobody is creating fashion trends with a power that they can only dream about.

I can only imagine how p***** they are that she has the power. They don't.
Are you joking? Anna Wintour's power and influence both inside and outside the fashion world has been very well-documented. While Kate's shopping and watching movies in Wales, Anna's having power meetings with fashion designers, film makers and politicians. (I'm sure Kate will have substantial influence someday regarding something, but right now, she's just the heir to the heir's wife, leading a relatively low-key, boring life.)

Also, Anna and company predicted the ladylike trend several months back. The non-fashion media is just now catching up and wrongly attributing it solely to Kate. (Furthermore, Anna's been wearing ladylike day dresses and suits for YEARS now. But because it's part of her job to look impeccable, nobody pays attention to her style even though it's always consistent, always regal, always stylish. Kate, on the other hand, just graduated from Land's End-style clothing to ladylike regality therefore she's getting attention.) (It wasn't that long ago that the Daily Mail was giving Kate fashion advice...)
Old 09-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

I like DoCa and Anna Wintour, I don't know if Anna herself chastised Kate for being boring. It is going to take A LONG time before we discover if Kate setting trends is just a fad or something that will continue on the long term. Wether you are a fashionista or not, you have to applaud the girl for being able to look so great and choose such nice outfits without any help.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-17-2011, 11:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I like DoCa and Anna Wintour, I don't know if Anna herself chastised Kate for being boring. It is going to take A LONG time before we discover if Kate setting trends is just a fad or something that will continue on the long term. Wether you are a fashionista or not, you have to applaud the girl for being able to look so great and choose such nice outfits without any help.
if you look at the style of dress in the fall fashion you'll see a lot of dresses that copy kate's way of dress

Quote:
Originally Posted by CordeliaFitzgerald View Post
Are you joking? Anna Wintour's power and influence both inside and outside the fashion world has been very well-documented. While Kate's shopping and watching movies in Wales, Anna's having power meetings with fashion designers, film makers and politicians. (I'm sure Kate will have substantial influence someday regarding something, but right now, she's just the heir to the heir's wife, leading a relatively low-key, boring life.)
i think that is why some dont like her style of dress and grooming-for me i cant dress myself and look good.i need a host of friends,mom and my husband where as kate just goes shopping and turns out looking good...dont be a hater just accept the fact that she is a fashion icon....
Old 09-18-2011, 07:34 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Several posts not discussing Catherine's fashion - instead discusing her family background and personality - have been removed. Further posts on the issue will be removed at moderator discretion, so please stay on topic and respect other member's opinions.

Thank you,
JessRulz
on behalf of the RHoF moderators.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:57 PM
Serene Highness

Issa

While the pictures from the Issa show indicate that the designs are very much what Catherine likes to wear I think we will see her move away from the label due to the involvement of the Al Fayed family.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:11 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Kate has an awful lot of doppelgangers out and about...Kate must be hitting the Mars Bars hard! LOL
i want to be able to hit the mars bars and be as small as she is
Old 09-20-2011, 01:18 PM
Majesty

More praise for Catherine's fashion.

London designers hail elegant Kate Middleton | Reuters

Old 09-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Serene Highness

guess who made the list of people's best dressed? kate
Old 09-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by semisquare View Post
i'm not surprised in the list. She knows how to dress, and does it well.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by semisquare View Post
Surprise, surprise,
Old 09-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
Surprise, surprise,
My thoughts exactly .

Old 09-20-2011, 03:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

No surprise there. She is the woman of the moment.