The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 3: July 2011 - August 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kate is fashionably "pulled together" not an icon, yet. She does make great choices though.

I don´t know what is so special about this scarf,it looks nice and classy but you can find that style in every city....I like this minimalistic colours a lot,you can wear it with almost every jacket or coat,it´s just as easy to wear like the Burberry-scarf as it works with almost all colours....

Vivienne Westwood likes to shock the establishment a little bit from time to time-it turned out to be a great publicity stunt,after all everyone of the Kate-thread-followers know her by now *lol*
She has very extravagant outfits at her fashion shows but also pret-a-porter dresses and well-cut blazers and skirts that are not so shocking or flashy;-)
I guess she´s just a little bit disappointed Catherine doesn´t wear her designs a lot,I can understand that as everything she is wearing is sold out afterwards:D

i like the skirt but not the top but again...she is very pretty so she can wear it and still it looks good but it does remind me of an outfit princess di wore..i have to search for the pic

The Duchess looks beautiful but to think that her blouse cost almost 800 pounds.... I can remember as a child when my father brought home five pounds a week wages and we had everything we needed to live comfortably. But that was back in the 50's. Sorry to digress.
Indeed you do! Five pounds was worth a whole lot more than it is today so comparisons are impossible.

Catherine is not required to dress "a la op shop" just to prove we are living in a recession. To do so would be patronising and offensive.

As the Queen Mother said when visiting bombed out London, "I put on my best dress to visit you, just as you would if you had come to visit me" or sentiments to that effect.

That being said, I think the outfit a little too severe for my taste and wish she had at least tied up her hair, it kept falling over her face!

Yes agree with previous posters that the skirt is fine but the blouse isn't great. Honestly in my opinion it's just plain ugly but she still looks nice and it seems an appropriate outfit to me

My problem with the blouse is that the sleeves appear to long, the cuffs to wide and I don't like those horizontal strips across the front...3 is odd. More would of been better if they were going to do that.

MM

The Duchess looks beautiful but to think that her blouse cost almost 800 pounds.... I can remember as a child when my father brought home five pounds a week wages and we had everything we needed to live comfortably. But that was back in the 50's. Sorry to digress.

This repeated discussion about level of life of royalty is very strange. On one side, YES they live a very expensive life, and it is true that in example, with the cost of this outfit, one family can live for a month!

On the other side, they are royals, and what we expect from them is also to live a high life! Sometimes is nice to see Catherine wearing a Zara dress, or shopping at the grocery herself, but basically, we all know that this is the exception. Royals live in palaces, do not clean themselfs, when they travel they sleep at 5-6 stars hotel suites,they wear Prada dresses and Christian Louboutin shoes! ALL their life is scales upper to the lifelevel of any average of their citizens, and I think this has to be accepted OR to abolish monarchy!

What the purpose to have a Queen who dresses to the chinese discount shops at 1€ per piece, and does her ironing herself?

We should not be hypocrite.

I'm not crazy about this outfit for a few reasons. First, I don't like "theme" clothes. The Duchess obviously loves navy, and navy-and-white combinations, so the nautical/military look is going to appeal to her, but she's overdone it. She has a great deal of navy/navy-and-white in her wardrobe, and at least three nautical/military-look outfits. I'm finding them boring.

Second, while she wears this outfit about as well as one could expect, it's just not particularly attractive or interesting. It has a sort of stiff 80's look to it, and the design of the blouse is gimmicky. (Though it's not nearly as awful as that terrible white and gold suit worn by Diana that someone posted above.)

Third, given the context of the visit, I really think the Duke and Duchess should have dressed down. I realize that Charles and Camilla wore the usual royal visit gear, but they are much older. Somehow a suit and tie on William and Alexander McQueen and heels on Catherine strike a wrong note.

Last edited:
I agree...I think it would of been better, considering the location, if they had gone more casual.

MM

Third, given the context of the visit, I really think the Duke and Duchess should have dressed down. I realize that Charles and Camilla wore the usual royal visit gear, but they are much older. Somehow a suit and tie on William and Alexander McQueen and heels on Catherine strike a wrong note.

Yes totally agree for the context of the event i think a more casual dress code would have been better.

The problem with dressing down is that they would have looked out of place. I watched video of their visit and the people they are meeting are dressed up (suits, dresses, etc). The outfits William and Kate chose were appropriate for the event.

BBC News - Prince William and Kate visit Birmingham after riots

I like both the skirt and top, but separately. I think a simpler top would have worked better for this outfit. Although I will say the outfit looks better in motion.

I definitely agree with your post, fandesacs2003.

Last edited:
soapstar, I looked at the video, and they could have toned down what they wore without looking out of place. People tend to dress up a bit for royal visits, but they can also be warned in advance if the royals intend to be fairly casual. I'm not talking about jeans, but it seems to me that William could have worn khakis and a blazer and gone tieless, and Catherine could have worn less a less expensive ensemble and left the heels at home.

The overall look seems that Kate was trying a bit too hard for a statement IMO. The overall look does look good, too much going on with the blouse detailing and the skirt with gold buttons and the open hair. A simple blouse would work or either a very plain skirt/pants. That outfit is also not her age, it ages her quite a bit.

This repeated discussion about level of life of royalty is very strange. On one side, YES they live a very expensive life, and it is true that in example, with the cost of this outfit, one family can live for a month!

On the other side, they are royals, and what we expect from them is also to live a high life! Sometimes is nice to see Catherine wearing a Zara dress, or shopping at the grocery herself, but basically, we all know that this is the exception. Royals live in palaces, do not clean themselfs, when they travel they sleep at 5-6 stars hotel suites,they wear Prada dresses and Christian Louboutin shoes! ALL their life is scales upper to the lifelevel of any average of their citizens, and I think this has to be accepted OR to abolish monarchy!

What the purpose to have a Queen who dresses to the chinese discount shops at 1€ per piece, and does her ironing herself?

We should not be hypocrite.

Amen to that!

The overall look seems that Kate was trying a bit too hard for a statement IMO. The overall look does look good, too much going on with the blouse detailing and the skirt with gold buttons and the open hair. A simple blouse would work or either a very plain skirt/pants. That outfit is also not her age, it ages her quite a bit.

Agree. It is the firsts timew I do not like what she wears. Maybe the half-outfir would be better, I mean this skirt with a simple shirt, or this blouse with simple dark pants or a pencil skirt.

Furthermore, the whole outfir does not worth for 1500 pounds! She worn much better for less money

soapstar, I looked at the video, and they could have toned down what they wore without looking out of place. People tend to dress up a bit for royal visits, but they can also be warned in advance if the royals intend to be fairly casual. I'm not talking about jeans, but it seems to me that William could have worn khakis and a blazer and gone tieless, and Catherine could have worn less a less expensive ensemble and left the heels at home.

I guess I just don't see why they had to dress down though. In one of William and Kate's threads, Zonk posted a really good quote by the Queen mother - (paraphrased) "They would dress up to visit me in their Sunday best, why shouldn't I do the same for them?"

Now if William and Kate were actually taking part in the cleanup or doing something that required a more hands on approach, then I could see the criticism for wearing a suit/heels, but since they're not I don't see the big deal.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/08/19/article-2027885-0D7DBAFB00000578-363_306x816.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/08/19/article-2027885-0D7DB92100000578-456_306x816.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/08/19/article-0-0D7DB8F700000578-568_634x1024.jpg

not liking the combo, it looks far too severe, like a governess' outfit.

either the skirt with a more casual blouse or the blouse with some navy pants or pencil skirt yes, but this looks like a young Margaret Thatcher :wacko:

I don't like this outfit either. Well she is entitled to make fashion mistakes like the rest of us.

Love the skirt but not the top.

Something about wearing a nautical themed outfit to visit grieving families doesn't sit well with me.

Yes, she looks polished and put together, but off in a way. (I guess that's what everyone meant about my Letizia's outfit for the military parade.)

soapstar, the Queen Consort's statement was lovely at the time, but this is a very different era, in which the royals are much more subject to criticism (previously the press and the public kept a respectful distance), and they are less formal in most contexts anyway.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't have a problem with her dressing up and wearing heels (especially since Harry, PC and Camilla all dressed up for their visits).

My only problem with the outfit is that I don't like the top and skirt together. I think she should have worn one or the other.

Last edited:
I agree,love the skirt not the top.

Funny how a few months changes things. I recall almost everyone having high hopes that Catherine would wear Alexander McQueen/Sarah Burton. She's done it and now is being criticized .... especially with comments about the skirt and blouse not looking good together when clearly they were designed to do so. I guess Sarah Burton "just got no taste". Haha

Again, a situation of no win for Catherine. <shrug>

If that blouse cost BPS800 or E800 or whatever convertible currency is used, Kate needs to learn that you can "fool some of the people all time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time. (A. Lincoln) She needs to either be more frugal or stop with attempts to not offend the general population with regard to her "station" in life.

Now, I'm not saying she shouldn't have what she wants. I'm saying that she (and Wills) need to be honest. She's not working and he's on military pay, so wearing an 800.00 blouse is insincere.

I'm looking forward to seeing her in that blouse at least 10 times.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom