The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #161  
Old 07-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Posts: 192
Private Tour at the Buckingham Palace with the Queen, 22.7.11

Her Royal Highness Catherine Duchess of Cambridge: Queens Reaction to Private Tour of Kate Middleton's Wedding Dress Display at Buckingham Palace
__________________

__________________
  #162  
Old 07-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahla10 View Post

"Kate countered with her own view and said it had a '3D effect'."

They were looking at the dress, not a screen showing a picture of the dress, right? Priceless.
__________________

__________________
  #163  
Old 07-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 119
Nice, simple, cream-colored dress. Something I'd buy, because I like the crossover effect and the slim skirt.

I'm hoping Reiss will be offering dresses like that for autumn and winter. They've got some new items on their website, but they are mostly sleeveless or short-sleeved.
__________________
  #164  
Old 07-22-2011, 03:30 PM
KittyAtlanta's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KittyLand Junction, United States
Posts: 3,023
I'll start out by saying that my comment is made with utmost respect for HM and the Duchess. I really like the gown, so my comment is strictly related to the display, not the objects of display.

From the expression on HM's face, I think she probably did say "horrible" and "horrid." I feel the same way from the photographs, but might not feel the same after seeing the exhibit in person. However, I DO trust HM's take on things.

The display sort of looks like the "Bride of Dracula" with the bride still waiting to form from the Ether.

Then again, there is the possibility that, since Harry Potter is over, the curate decided on a Hogwarts-type of ambiance.
__________________
  #165  
Old 07-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Kit's Avatar
Kit Kit is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 768
Quote:
The display sort of looks like the "Bride of Dracula" with the bride still waiting to form from the Ether.
*rolling on floor laughing* I also think it looks scary. I still don't like Kate's dress, something is just not right. Maybe the bodice, maybe the neckline but to me
the main problem is the veil and the way it is attached to the tiara. It really spoils the overall impression ....
__________________
  #166  
Old 07-22-2011, 03:40 PM
4Pam's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 2,824
Well I think Kate and HM look very nice. As for the the Queen's comments on the exhibit and Kate's response: no surprise. two women from two generations so their artistic tastes would be different.
__________________
Absence is, in my opinion, important to find out whether something in your life is meaningful and important! It may be difficult to endure, but the end result is always revealing.
  #167  
Old 07-22-2011, 06:24 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 119
I actually don't think their aesthetic tastes are different on ths subject of how the exhibition was presented. I think they just had a different way of expressing their reactions.

The dress, by the way, is a Joseph item. It looked cream to me, but What Kate Wore is calling it very pale pink or salmon:

http://whatkatewore.com/
__________________
  #168  
Old 07-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
*rolling on floor laughing* I also think it looks scary. I still don't like Kate's dress, something is just not right. Maybe the bodice, maybe the neckline but to me
the main problem is the veil and the way it is attached to the tiara. It really spoils the overall impression ....
What is wrong about it then in your eyes?
__________________
  #169  
Old 07-22-2011, 07:04 PM
princess gertrude's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Columbia, United States
Posts: 2,072
Kate's dress today was nice, a bit plain, but still nice. And of course the Queen looked bright and lovely. The wedding dress display is a little spooky, being in a big room with no lights on and the spotlights. I might have felt the same way seeing it as the Queen. Love the fact that they have the cake on display.
__________________
  #170  
Old 07-22-2011, 07:04 PM
figtreecrossing's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Midwest, Australia
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebaby View Post

On the other hand, or rather, on another subject, to those who say Catherine dresses as she does so as not to upstage her husband, is that not exactly what happened in Canada? The expensive designer outfits (some of them bespoke), the chic high heels and little clutches, etc etc hardly say "don't look at me".
The way I see Catherine's motive for dressing as she does is more directed to William and who William looks at..
Like us all, we wish our husbands to only have eyes for us...
"don't look at the other girls, look at me"
Apart from wanting to be approved of by the Royal Family, I don't think Catherine gives too much concern about what the rest of us think. She is a beautiful woman and she has an innate self confidence about her own skin.
__________________
  #171  
Old 07-22-2011, 07:13 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I'll start out by saying that my comment is made with utmost respect for HM and the Duchess. I really like the gown, so my comment is strictly related to the display, not the objects of display.

From the expression on HM's face, I think she probably did say "horrible" and "horrid." I feel the same way from the photographs, but might not feel the same after seeing the exhibit in person. However, I DO trust HM's take on things.

The display sort of looks like the "Bride of Dracula" with the bride still waiting to form from the Ether.

Then again, there is the possibility that, since Harry Potter is over, the curate decided on a Hogwarts-type of ambiance.
Caroline de Guitaut, the curator of the display, released or allowed to be released an almost unseemly number of pictures of herself in white gloves arranging the dress for display. She looks completely enraptured by the dress.

http://tinyurl.com/3wyzs34
__________________
  #172  
Old 07-22-2011, 07:21 PM
Royal Newbie's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northern California, United States
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by figtreecrossing View Post
The way I see Catherine's motive for dressing as she does is more directed to William and who William looks at..
Like us all, we wish our husbands to only have eyes for us...
"don't look at the other girls, look at me"
Apart from wanting to be approved of by the Royal Family, I don't think Catherine gives too much concern about what the rest of us think. She is a beautiful woman and she has an innate self confidence about her own skin.
I don't think she can be really concerned with what WE think as WE all think something different. Some people like her hair, others hate it. Some think she is "boring", others elegant and sophisticated. She looks old, she looks fabulous, her make-up is horrible, blah, blah blah...

She'd go crazy trying to dress to please the PUBLIC, so I think she should please herself, William, the RF, whoever makes her happy. IMHO
__________________
  #173  
Old 07-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 7,165
The dress that Kate wore at the private viewing of the exhibition at Buckingham Palace looks mostly beige to me. In one of the pictures the light makes it appear a little on pink side. What do I think of it? It befits the occasion, though I myself am not a fan of it.
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
  #174  
Old 07-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Royal Newbie's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northern California, United States
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by fascinator View Post
"Kate countered with her own view and said it had a '3D effect'."

They were looking at the dress, not a screen showing a picture of the dress, right? Priceless.
fascinator, while I completely understand your amusement, may I offer a different interpretation?

Perhaps the Duchess was stating that the exhibition looked like a 3D MOVIE effect as those definitely look ghost-like. (and lame, but that's just me)

Personally, I think the display is sorta creepy, but I would give my first-born to be able to see that dress up close!!!
__________________
  #175  
Old 07-22-2011, 08:07 PM
figtreecrossing's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Midwest, Australia
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Newbie View Post

She'd go crazy trying to dress to please the PUBLIC, so I think she should please herself, William, the RF, whoever makes her happy. IMHO
and that's a very healthy way of thinking too!
__________________
  #176  
Old 07-22-2011, 09:48 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 119
As a museum professional who comes here for fashion discussions, let me suggest that we get back to clothes and leave exhibition design to another category?
__________________
  #177  
Old 07-22-2011, 10:05 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Newbie View Post
fascinator, while I completely understand your amusement, may I offer a different interpretation?

Perhaps the Duchess was stating that the exhibition looked like a 3D MOVIE effect as those definitely look ghost-like. (and lame, but that's just me)

Personally, I think the display is sorta creepy, but I would give my first-born to be able to see that dress up close!!!
That's not lame at all- you have a point, and so does she, but that statement has to be one of the great all time examples of British politeness. She was obviously trying very hard to be gracious and find something-- anything- kind to say.

Other options "Well, it does look rather ... white ... with the rest of the room so dimly lit"

She may have earned her angel wings today. Talk about grace under pressure!
__________________
  #178  
Old 07-23-2011, 04:51 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cotabato City, Philippines
Posts: 1
She is very pretty and I like the way she dresses.
__________________
  #179  
Old 07-23-2011, 01:32 PM
roseroyal's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rapid River, United States
Posts: 3,929
Loved her outfit today!
__________________
http://spedmusings.blogspot.com/2014...-adoption.html
Keep calm and watch Siegfried- from a wall hanging my parents gave me for my birthday! LOL!
  #180  
Old 07-24-2011, 04:32 AM
dazzling's Avatar
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: -, France
Posts: 18,856
Its not a bad dress but it didn't fit well. The sleeves looked too big which gave an ill-fitting impression. It also ages Kate in some way, the color didn't flatter her. I think it would be a nice dress if it was in some kind of strong color matched with a belt.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Princess Letizia's Daytime Fashion Part 21: August 2011 - October 2011 iceflower Archives 394 10-28-2011 02:55 AM
Princess Letizia's Daytime Fashion Part 20: June 2011 - August 2011 JessRulz Archives 392 08-03-2011 03:57 AM
The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 2: June 2011 - July 2011 dazzling Archives 589 07-07-2011 02:35 AM
The Duchess of Cambridge's Fashion and Style, Part 1: May 2011 - June 2011 JessRulz Archives 399 06-11-2011 11:57 AM
Crown Princess Mary's Daytime Fashion Part 11: July 2010 - June 2011 iceflower Archives 402 06-08-2011 02:42 AM




Popular Tags
belgium carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jewellery jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince daniel prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:46 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]