The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 06:47 PM
Aristocracy

Well, maybe I'm dumb, but just how many ways can a person with Kate's long hair wear it? I shudder to think what this forum would say if she showed up in pigtails. That leaves "long and loose", "partial updo" and "updo". We saw all of those in Canada.

On the other hand, or rather, on another subject, to those who say Catherine dresses as she does so as not to upstage her husband, is that not exactly what happened in Canada? The expensive designer outfits (some of them bespoke), the chic high heels and little clutches, etc etc hardly say "don't look at me".

Old 07-13-2011, 07:11 PM
Serene Highness

I'm one of those who mentioned she dressed so as not to upstage. The total look just didn't grab my attention - nor that of my daughters and other family members, so I'm just speaking for some people. It's also been said here on this forum (that her look was staid or boring). So there is a set of people (perhaps small, perhaps not) who were not wowed by her high heels or little clutches.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittoria View Post
To people who are wondering why anyone should discuss the Duchess's hair, because it's what's inside that counts,* might I respectfully point out that this IS a fashion forum? The whole point is to discuss the way the Duchess dresses, and her hairstyles can legitimately be considered a part of her fashion look. We don't know the lady, so we can't discuss her personality. She hasn't given more than one interview, so we can't comment on anything she's said publicly. The purpose of this forum is to talk about her look. Perhaps those people who would prefer not to discuss this could find another section of RF that deals with other aspects of her?
I am not saying- don't comment on her hair ever. I do understand that it is a fashion forum. I love fashion! My post earlier could have been worded somewhat better.
*I was just trying to make a point, give an opinion, not trying to stop the discussion, give a reason to stop it or offend anyone, or stop them from giving their opinion . Usually,when members don't like a hairstyle or an outfit, they say so, and then move on. I just wondererd why this hairstyle discussion was going on longer than most. But hey, maybe you are right, I can post in other threads, about other aspects of the Duchess that I like to talk about more than her hairstyle and fashion if it gets boring!
Old 07-14-2011, 01:23 AM
Heir Apparent

..IMO the discussion has gone on this long because no one can believe the hair in her face the constant nervy touching and it is in their opinion and as for the ... nice on the inside thing.. that is just one person's view and I guess she is able to have it .... but this is a fashion thread and dispite the constant comments to the contrary we all joined here to see what the other has to say and comment on that ... I am amazed though at some of the "school marmished" views that just go on and on. We all like to chat about this and what is so horrible about that just read it and move on gosh !!!!!!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:05 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
I'm one of those who mentioned she dressed so as not to upstage. The total look just didn't grab my attention - nor that of my daughters and other family members, so I'm just speaking for some people. It's also been said here on this forum (that her look was staid or boring). So there is a set of people (perhaps small, perhaps not) who were not wowed by her high heels or little clutches.
I totally understand, and I hope I didn't offend. That wasn't my intention. Personally I find her current style to be unadventurous. But the world press seems to have been wowed, if images of Catherine on the covers of all the newspapers and magazines is any indication.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Judging by the future plans for the couple, there will be less emphasis on them, and rather more on the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:32 AM
Commoner

3 the best Catherine's outfits from Canada Tour

What are 3 the best Catherine's outfits from Canada Tour?There were many of them and I know that it's hard to choose only three.But let's do it!
Old 07-16-2011, 08:58 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty93 View Post
What are 3 the best Catherine's outfits from Canada Tour?There were many of them and I know that it's hard to choose only three.But let's do it!
Hi Patty and welcome to TRF!

There is no question in my mind of which are my top 3 favorite outfits. My very favorite is the dress she wore to the BAFTA gala. It looked so comfortable yet so ethereal and feminine. 2nd favorite was the print dress I think she wore in Calgary (or was it PEI)? The final one was the yellow dress. A lot of what Kate wears is somewhat tailored and simple lines. The three I've chosen were more sensuous and feminine without going over the top. This woman has very good tastes in clothes I think.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:30 AM

Hmmm...I'd say my three favorites were (in order of preference)

1. The Alexander McQueen Sailor Dress worn on Prince Edward Island (adorable!)

2. The lilac dress by Roksanda Illincic when she first arrived off the plane in L.A. (sophisticated and sexy at the same time)

3. The black crochet top and white skirt (from Whistles) that she wore on their very last day in L.A. (a nice mix of relaxed and professional)

Here's a link with pictures of all of her outfits:
Duchess of Cambridge Kate Middleton: The wardrobe she wore to wow the world | Mail Online
Old 07-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN1981 View Post
2. The lilac dress by Roksanda Illincic when she first arrived off the plane in L.A. (sophisticated and sexy at the same time)
1. The BAFTA dress
2. Dress above
3. Red Catherine Walker outfit
Old 07-16-2011, 02:35 PM
Majesty

Here are my picks (some were tied, because I couldn't decide):

1. The Catherine Walker outfit and the lace dress she wore when she arrived in Ottawa.
2. The sailor dress from PEI
3. The BAFTA gown and the ensemble she wore to the Inner City Arts

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:00 PM
Courtier

Not easy to choose but my choices are :

1. BAFTA dress
2. Lace Ederm dress
3. Catherine Walker dress
Old 07-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieS View Post
Not easy to choose but my choices are :

1. BAFTA dress
2. Lace Ederm dress
3. Catherine Walker dress
Me Too i chose same dress
Old 07-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

1. The Navy suit she wore on the plane to Canada
2. The printed polo dress
3. Bafta gown
Old 07-18-2011, 07:27 PM
Aristocracy

I'd pick the Illincic dress; the red Catherine Walker outfit; and the pale-purple Issa dress. All three quite sophisticated. I also loved the red hat for Canada Day, though I've some doubts about that cream-silk Reiss dress and its visible zipper, evidently airbrushed out by Mario Testino in the engagement photo.

I disliked the McQueen nautical-themed dress she wore on Prince Edward Island: just too cute and rather childish. Only little girls still wear sailor dresses. And the yellow Jenny Packham also looked like it was designed for an 8-year-old.

The Birger and the gray Catherine Walker dresses were simply uninteresting, as was the floral Packham dress for the polo event.

The BAFTA evening dress was genuinely lovely, an elegant design, but it just didn't knock me out for some reason. I think the problem was the anemic color, which was fine for a day dress but seemed flat for the one spectacular evening dress she was wearing on this tour.

I really, really, really (can't say it enough) disliked the Whistles white dress and crocheted top she wore on the last day. That outfit strongly reminded me of the 70's, an era in which fashion couldn't have been worse.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:44 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Isnt the BRF master of the art when it comes to adding weight into dresses' hemlines? Kate still has her dresses flying up, not the first time on the trip.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...80_196x678.jpg
Nice pins thou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN1981 View Post
Hmmm...I'd say my three favorites were (in order of preference)

1. The Alexander McQueen Sailor Dress worn on Prince Edward Island (adorable!)

3. The black crochet top and white skirt (from Whistles) that she wore on their very last day in L.A. (a nice mix of relaxed and professional)

Here's a link with pictures of all of her outfits:
Duchess of Cambridge Kate Middleton: The wardrobe she wore to wow the world | Mail Online
Thanks for posting the link. I loved the tweed jacket - and have searched everywhere for the designer. Does anyone know ?
Old 07-18-2011, 09:19 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertie5252003 View Post
..IMO the discussion has gone on this long because no one can believe the hair in her face the constant nervy touching . . . . . . .
I missed the nervy touching. I was too gob smacked that she was still wearing her hair like a little girl, the only things missing were the Alice bands and ribbons.

Catherine has made her hair the baseline of any fashion comment about her. She has beautiful hair and she is rightly proud of it but it is very long and all those artistic waves last a couple of minutes in the mildest breeze and then she is reduced to continually pushing it out of her face. Not a good look.

The up dos we saw on the Canada trip should be banished the "try whilst pruning the roses" at home. The were messy, sloppy and badly finished. If she truly did take her hairdresser with her it is far past time to find a new one.

IMO her pièce de résistance gown at the BAFTA gala was totally ruined by her hair, covering almost the entire neck and shoulder line. She looked like she hadn't had time to finish "dressing her hair" and now she has worn two terrific evening gowns ruined by "little girl" hair.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Courtier

I liked the green DVF dress, nice colour, 3/4 sleeves, then the red Catherine Walker, the frock coat over the shift dress, very QEII-like, but not matronly, perfect for a Queen-in-training...and lastly the Malene Birger, Danish designer, so echoes of Princess Mary, maybe an unofficial mentor for Catherine to look to for how the transition from commoner to Princess should be done!
Old 07-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
The up dos we saw on the Canada trip should be banished the "try whilst pruning the roses" at home. The were messy, sloppy and badly finished. If she truly did take her hairdresser with her it is far past time to find a new one.

IMO her pièce de résistance gown at the BAFTA gala was totally ruined by her hair, covering almost the entire neck and shoulder line. She looked like she hadn't had time to finish "dressing her hair" and now she has worn two terrific evening gowns ruined by "little girl" hair.
I know not many others did, but I actually liked the updo she had with the purple dress when they went to the concert. It was okay with me that it was a bit messy because it was a concert - which I see as sort of casual - vs a formal ball or something. However, I completely agree with you that she needs a better hairdresser!

I also agree that her hair ruined the look with her BAFTA gown. For me, the main reason is that it obscured her earrings. I would think the if the queen is kind enough to open her jewel box, you show those bad boys off!! So I was immediately annoyed by the loose hair on that evening. If you're going to wear blingy-dangly earrings, then you wear your hair up, IMO.

I guess my favorite outfit was the red dress-coat she wore with the maple leaf brooch. I also liked her first Western outfit. But overall I was underwhelmed with the majority of her choices.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Heir Apparent

In no particular order, I liked best:

The Bullet dress
The Grey Catherine Walker
Jacquenta cutwork by Erdam

That yellow thing, if it ever is worn again, should never be worn without a belt.

Respectfully submitted....

Closed Thread