The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 01:37 PM
Aristocracy

I think we'll see more color on engagements in the fall. Light and neutral-colored clothes are really best for hot weather, both from a comfort and a visual standpoint and it was quite warm for much of this tour.

But she wore some outfits in which the colors really "popped": one of the Erdem dresses was a strong blue; I loved the purple Issa dress; and don't forget the red/orange Catherine Walker ensemble and the green DvF dress. And the yellow Jenny Packham was a beautiful color, even though I didn't care for the design.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am a little perplexed about the comments about the hairstyle - was she expected to cut it during the tour? She did wear it up on one occasion & on several other occasions partially up. Yes I agree she could experiment a little more but IMO it's a little early to consign her to the Princess Royal category just yet.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
How true, and those ladies are already 60 years +
It's a bit early for Kate, really.
It's not just the 60 years + royals that aren't changing their hairstyles. Victoria keeps her hair in a constant ponytail, Madeleine always has her hair down, Charlene usually has her hair in some type of bun. With the exception of only a few (Mary and Mathilde come to mind), most of the royal women seem to wear their hair the same way 90% of the time.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Serene Highness

Well, I certainly wear my hair much the same way...although I had periods of sharp deviating in my thirties, I sure wish I hadn't. And I wish I'd never experimented with bangs.

I can certainly understand finding a look that works and sticking with it (I had to go back and cruise for those photos of Kate with her hair up - so she did deviate a bit). But, for most of us, once we've got a cut, it stays the same way for awhile.

I can't imagine Kate without her long brown hair.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think if people are looking for exciting style that they would have better luck with Charlene and that isn't even a guarantee.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-12-2011, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

I think perhaps the Duchess of Cambridge and Queen Margrethe should swap styles for a while as that would surely make Catherine's style...erm...abit more interesting - with her hair up, huge gala gowns, artistic patterns and prints and oh that wonderful gold flower tiara!!! (BTW I adore Margrethe's style)
But hopefully once Autumn and Winter come along, the light summer shades we've seen alot of with Catherine will be replaced with some bolder colours and bigger hats!!!!!
Old 07-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Nobility

I like Catherines style, but it becomes broing. She is always playing on the save side. I want to see skirts, suits, trousers, knitwear, colourful pieces, big hats, hair up in different ways.

The clean dresses with light or blue colours bore me a bit. I want so see more Mary, more Maxima.

And I do want to see her making fashion mistakes. Not to laugh at her but to see her style and personality growing. I want to see her mood eypressed by her colours.
The "save style" is her "protection shield", but I would love to see her open to the world !
Old 07-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphine View Post
I like Catherines style, but it becomes broing. She is always playing on the save side. I want to see skirts, suits, trousers, knitwear, colourful pieces, big hats, hair up in different ways.

The clean dresses with light or blue colours bore me a bit. I want so see more Mary, more Maxima.

And I do want to see her making fashion mistakes. Not to laugh at her but to see her style and personality growing. I want to see her mood eypressed by her colours.
The "save style" is her "protection shield", but I would love to see her open to the world !
There is already one Mary and already one Máxima and that is enough, I think.

I wish for Catherine to remain, above all, herself. If she wants to experiment with clothing then I have no doubt she will do so in the future.

Now is too soon to tell imo - she's only married for 2 1/2 month.

I think a lot of people are (too) impatient because of what the public has gotten used to over the past years.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Majesty

You are right! We have become incredibly greedy but I think we are all about to have our ration cut as the couple retreat to Anglesey to rusticate!

ps: Are we allowed to hope they will become pregnant whilst rusticating?
Old 07-12-2011, 09:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Again you want excitement go to Monaco. Catherine, like Skippy said, should stay herself and wear what she feels comfortable in. Trying to please the public is an endless cycle that leads to heartache and pain.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

She is young, lovely and trying to please. Leave her alone.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
You are perfectly right
Old 07-13-2011, 03:44 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
And who is she trying to please then?
Old 07-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Heir Apparent

The public. William.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:04 PM
Heir Apparent

I was also taught that it is important what is on the inside. However, I have no idea what DofCa is like on the inside so I talk about her hair.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Royal Highness

I don't know if anybody here noticed, but girlfriend here has a pretty nice walk in heels. A lot of High Fashion models can't say the same. Given, they're not as high as on the runway but her walk is quite good.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
The public. William. I do not see what all the fuss about her hair is about, or what purpose it serves. I was taught that it is more important who a person is on the inside, then how they appear on the outside. Is that not true for the Duchess? She is a loving supportive wife. Britain is lucky to have her representing them. Who cares about her hair?
You're absolutely correct. What her hair style is should be up to her, and if she's OK with it, then we should be too. It's not important. It doesn't matter, as long as she does what she needs to do, and is happy doing it. She's settling into her role very well, and is doing her family and William's family very proud. That is so much more important than hair, or clothing, or appearance in general.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Aristocracy

Jacknch, I don't think we're ever going to see "huge gala gowns" on the Duchess. Her style is and has always been sleek, slim, and pared down, fairly minimalist. That's why I generally like it. I was happy to see the back of the big ball gowns popular in the 80's. When the late Princess of Wales started to wear simple column and sheath-style evening dresses instead, I breathed a real sigh of relief.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Nobility

Kate is Kate--herself..an what's wrong with that?

She's not a phony, flamboyant..

She is down to earth.Period
Old 07-13-2011, 05:26 PM
Aristocracy

To people who are wondering why anyone should discuss the Duchess's hair, because it's what's inside that counts, might I respectfully point out that this IS a fashion forum? The whole point is to discuss the way the Duchess dresses, and her hairstyles can legitimately be considered a part of her fashion look. We don't know the lady, so we can't discuss her personality. She hasn't given more than one interview, so we can't comment on anything she's said publicly. The purpose of this forum is to talk about her look. Perhaps those people who would prefer not to discuss this could find another section of RF that deals with other aspects of her?

Closed Thread