The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 3: July 2011 - August 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we'll see more color on engagements in the fall. Light and neutral-colored clothes are really best for hot weather, both from a comfort and a visual standpoint and it was quite warm for much of this tour.

But she wore some outfits in which the colors really "popped": one of the Erdem dresses was a strong blue; I loved the purple Issa dress; and don't forget the red/orange Catherine Walker ensemble and the green DvF dress. And the yellow Jenny Packham was a beautiful color, even though I didn't care for the design.

I am a little perplexed about the comments about the hairstyle - was she expected to cut it during the tour? She did wear it up on one occasion & on several other occasions partially up. Yes I agree she could experiment a little more but IMO it's a little early to consign her to the Princess Royal category just yet.

How true, and those ladies are already 60 years + :closedeye
It's a bit early for Kate, really.
It's not just the 60 years + royals that aren't changing their hairstyles. Victoria keeps her hair in a constant ponytail, Madeleine always has her hair down, Charlene usually has her hair in some type of bun. With the exception of only a few (Mary and Mathilde come to mind), most of the royal women seem to wear their hair the same way 90% of the time.

Well, I certainly wear my hair much the same way...although I had periods of sharp deviating in my thirties, I sure wish I hadn't. And I wish I'd never experimented with bangs.

I can certainly understand finding a look that works and sticking with it (I had to go back and cruise for those photos of Kate with her hair up - so she did deviate a bit). But, for most of us, once we've got a cut, it stays the same way for awhile.

I can't imagine Kate without her long brown hair.

I think if people are looking for exciting style that they would have better luck with Charlene and that isn't even a guarantee.

I think perhaps the Duchess of Cambridge and Queen Margrethe should swap styles for a while as that would surely make Catherine's style...erm...abit more interesting - with her hair up, huge gala gowns, artistic patterns and prints and oh that wonderful gold flower tiara!!! (BTW I adore Margrethe's style)
But hopefully once Autumn and Winter come along, the light summer shades we've seen alot of with Catherine will be replaced with some bolder colours and bigger hats!!!!!

Last edited:
I like Catherines style, but it becomes broing. She is always playing on the save side. I want to see skirts, suits, trousers, knitwear, colourful pieces, big hats, hair up in different ways.

The clean dresses with light or blue colours bore me a bit. I want so see more Mary, more Maxima.

And I do want to see her making fashion mistakes. Not to laugh at her but to see her style and personality growing. I want to see her mood eypressed by her colours.
The "save style" is her "protection shield", but I would love to see her open to the world !

I like Catherines style, but it becomes broing. She is always playing on the save side. I want to see skirts, suits, trousers, knitwear, colourful pieces, big hats, hair up in different ways.

The clean dresses with light or blue colours bore me a bit. I want so see more Mary, more Maxima.

And I do want to see her making fashion mistakes. Not to laugh at her but to see her style and personality growing. I want to see her mood eypressed by her colours.
The "save style" is her "protection shield", but I would love to see her open to the world !

There is already one Mary and already one Máxima and that is enough, I think.

I wish for Catherine to remain, above all, herself. If she wants to experiment with clothing then I have no doubt she will do so in the future.

Now is too soon to tell imo - she's only married for 2 1/2 month.

I think a lot of people are (too) impatient because of what the public has gotten used to over the past years.

:previous: You are right! We have become incredibly greedy but I think we are all about to have our ration cut as the couple retreat to Anglesey to rusticate! :D

ps: Are we allowed to hope they will become pregnant whilst rusticating? ;)

Again you want excitement go to Monaco. Catherine, like Skippy said, should stay herself and wear what she feels comfortable in. Trying to please the public is an endless cycle that leads to heartache and pain.

She is young, lovely and trying to please. Leave her alone.

The public. William.

Last edited:
I was also taught that it is important what is on the inside. However, I have no idea what DofCa is like on the inside so I talk about her hair.

I don't know if anybody here noticed, but girlfriend here has a pretty nice walk in heels. A lot of High Fashion models can't say the same. Given, they're not as high as on the runway but her walk is quite good.

The public. William. I do not see what all the fuss about her hair is about, or what purpose it serves. I was taught that it is more important who a person is on the inside, then how they appear on the outside. Is that not true for the Duchess? She is a loving supportive wife. Britain is lucky to have her representing them. Who cares about her hair?

You're absolutely correct. What her hair style is should be up to her, and if she's OK with it, then we should be too. It's not important. It doesn't matter, as long as she does what she needs to do, and is happy doing it. She's settling into her role very well, and is doing her family and William's family very proud. That is so much more important than hair, or clothing, or appearance in general.

Jacknch, I don't think we're ever going to see "huge gala gowns" on the Duchess. Her style is and has always been sleek, slim, and pared down, fairly minimalist. That's why I generally like it. I was happy to see the back of the big ball gowns popular in the 80's. When the late Princess of Wales started to wear simple column and sheath-style evening dresses instead, I breathed a real sigh of relief.

Kate is Kate--herself..an what's wrong with that?

She's not a phony, flamboyant..

She is down to earth.Period

To people who are wondering why anyone should discuss the Duchess's hair, because it's what's inside that counts, might I respectfully point out that this IS a fashion forum? The whole point is to discuss the way the Duchess dresses, and her hairstyles can legitimately be considered a part of her fashion look. We don't know the lady, so we can't discuss her personality. She hasn't given more than one interview, so we can't comment on anything she's said publicly. The purpose of this forum is to talk about her look. Perhaps those people who would prefer not to discuss this could find another section of RF that deals with other aspects of her?

Well, maybe I'm dumb, but just how many ways can a person with Kate's long hair wear it? I shudder to think what this forum would say if she showed up in pigtails. That leaves "long and loose", "partial updo" and "updo". We saw all of those in Canada.

On the other hand, or rather, on another subject, to those who say Catherine dresses as she does so as not to upstage her husband, is that not exactly what happened in Canada? The expensive designer outfits (some of them bespoke), the chic high heels and little clutches, etc etc hardly say "don't look at me".

I'm one of those who mentioned she dressed so as not to upstage. The total look just didn't grab my attention - nor that of my daughters and other family members, so I'm just speaking for some people. It's also been said here on this forum (that her look was staid or boring). So there is a set of people (perhaps small, perhaps not) who were not wowed by her high heels or little clutches.

To people who are wondering why anyone should discuss the Duchess's hair, because it's what's inside that counts,* might I respectfully point out that this IS a fashion forum? The whole point is to discuss the way the Duchess dresses, and her hairstyles can legitimately be considered a part of her fashion look. We don't know the lady, so we can't discuss her personality. She hasn't given more than one interview, so we can't comment on anything she's said publicly. The purpose of this forum is to talk about her look. Perhaps those people who would prefer not to discuss this could find another section of RF that deals with other aspects of her?
I am not saying- don't comment on her hair ever. I do understand that it is a fashion forum. I love fashion! My post earlier could have been worded somewhat better.
*I was just trying to make a point, give an opinion, not trying to stop the discussion, give a reason to stop it or offend anyone, or stop them from giving their opinion . Usually,when members don't like a hairstyle or an outfit, they say so, and then move on. I just wondererd why this hairstyle discussion was going on longer than most. But hey, maybe you are right, I can post in other threads, about other aspects of the Duchess that I like to talk about more than her hairstyle and fashion if it gets boring!

Last edited:
..IMO the discussion has gone on this long because no one can believe the hair in her face the constant nervy touching and it is in their opinion and as for the ... nice on the inside thing.. that is just one person's view and I guess she is able to have it .... but this is a fashion thread and dispite the constant comments to the contrary we all joined here to see what the other has to say and comment on that ... I am amazed though at some of the "school marmished" views that just go on and on. We all like to chat about this and what is so horrible about that just read it and move on gosh !!!!!!

I'm one of those who mentioned she dressed so as not to upstage. The total look just didn't grab my attention - nor that of my daughters and other family members, so I'm just speaking for some people. It's also been said here on this forum (that her look was staid or boring). So there is a set of people (perhaps small, perhaps not) who were not wowed by her high heels or little clutches.

I totally understand, and I hope I didn't offend. That wasn't my intention. Personally I find her current style to be unadventurous. But the world press seems to have been wowed, if images of Catherine on the covers of all the newspapers and magazines is any indication.

Judging by the future plans for the couple, there will be less emphasis on them, and rather more on the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.

3 the best Catherine's outfits from Canada Tour

What are 3 the best Catherine's outfits from Canada Tour?There were many of them and I know that it's hard to choose only three.But let's do it!

What are 3 the best Catherine's outfits from Canada Tour?There were many of them and I know that it's hard to choose only three.But let's do it!

Hi Patty and welcome to TRF!

There is no question in my mind of which are my top 3 favorite outfits. My very favorite is the dress she wore to the BAFTA gala. It looked so comfortable yet so ethereal and feminine. 2nd favorite was the print dress I think she wore in Calgary (or was it PEI)? The final one was the yellow dress. A lot of what Kate wears is somewhat tailored and simple lines. The three I've chosen were more sensuous and feminine without going over the top. This woman has very good tastes in clothes I think. :D

Hmmm...I'd say my three favorites were (in order of preference)

1. The Alexander McQueen Sailor Dress worn on Prince Edward Island (adorable!)

2. The lilac dress by Roksanda Illincic when she first arrived off the plane in L.A. (sophisticated and sexy at the same time)

3. The black crochet top and white skirt (from Whistles) that she wore on their very last day in L.A. (a nice mix of relaxed and professional)

Here's a link with pictures of all of her outfits:
Duchess of Cambridge Kate Middleton: The wardrobe she wore to wow the world | Mail Online

2. The lilac dress by Roksanda Illincic when she first arrived off the plane in L.A. (sophisticated and sexy at the same time)
1. The BAFTA dress
2. Dress above
3. Red Catherine Walker outfit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom