The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 11:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Kate is fashionably "pulled together" not an icon, yet. She does make great choices though.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Gentry

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5600881_n.jpg

There does seem to be a difference between Catherine's checked scarf and the scarf that Aquascutum is advertising. Probably from a different line/season

Old 08-17-2011, 11:17 AM
Royal Highness

I don´t know what is so special about this scarf,it looks nice and classy but you can find that style in every city....I like this minimalistic colours a lot,you can wear it with almost every jacket or coat,it´s just as easy to wear like the Burberry-scarf as it works with almost all colours....

Vivienne Westwood likes to shock the establishment a little bit from time to time-it turned out to be a great publicity stunt,after all everyone of the Kate-thread-followers know her by now *lol*
She has very extravagant outfits at her fashion shows but also pret-a-porter dresses and well-cut blazers and skirts that are not so shocking or flashy;-)
I guess she´s just a little bit disappointed Catherine doesn´t wear her designs a lot,I can understand that as everything she is wearing is sold out afterwards
Old 08-19-2011, 08:11 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

"Daily Mail" article about was Catherine wore today in Birmingham

Nautical but nice: Duchess of Cambridge is stylish on duty as she visit area affected by riots | Mail Online
Old 08-19-2011, 08:23 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...63_306x816.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...56_306x816.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...8_634x1024.jpg

not liking the combo, it looks far too severe, like a governess' outfit.

either the skirt with a more casual blouse or the blouse with some navy pants or pencil skirt yes, but this looks like a young Margaret Thatcher
Old 08-19-2011, 08:24 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marika86 View Post
The Duchess looks beautiful but to think that her blouse cost almost 800 pounds.... I can remember as a child when my father brought home five pounds a week wages and we had everything we needed to live comfortably. But that was back in the 50's. Sorry to digress.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:35 AM
Aristocracy

Love the skirt but I'm not so crazy about the blouse.

MM
Old 08-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Serene Highness

i like the skirt but not the top but again...she is very pretty so she can wear it and still it looks good but it does remind me of an outfit princess di wore..i have to search for the pic
Old 08-19-2011, 09:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by figtreecrossing View Post
The Duchess looks beautiful but to think that her blouse cost almost 800 pounds.... I can remember as a child when my father brought home five pounds a week wages and we had everything we needed to live comfortably. But that was back in the 50's. Sorry to digress.
Indeed you do! Five pounds was worth a whole lot more than it is today so comparisons are impossible.

Catherine is not required to dress "a la op shop" just to prove we are living in a recession. To do so would be patronising and offensive.

As the Queen Mother said when visiting bombed out London, "I put on my best dress to visit you, just as you would if you had come to visit me" or sentiments to that effect.

That being said, I think the outfit a little too severe for my taste and wish she had at least tied up her hair, it kept falling over her face!
Old 08-19-2011, 09:10 AM
Royal Highness

Yes agree with previous posters that the skirt is fine but the blouse isn't great. Honestly in my opinion it's just plain ugly but she still looks nice and it seems an appropriate outfit to me
Old 08-19-2011, 09:11 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
It does remind me of an outfit princess di wore
Indeed : The Prince And Princess Of Wales Meeting King Fahd And The Saudi

Odd choice fot this kind of visit. A more understated "high street" outfit would have been maybe more apparopriate...
Old 08-19-2011, 09:16 AM
Aristocracy

My problem with the blouse is that the sleeves appear to long, the cuffs to wide and I don't like those horizontal strips across the front...3 is odd. More would of been better if they were going to do that.

MM
Old 08-19-2011, 09:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by figtreecrossing View Post
This repeated discussion about level of life of royalty is very strange. On one side, YES they live a very expensive life, and it is true that in example, with the cost of this outfit, one family can live for a month!

On the other side, they are royals, and what we expect from them is also to live a high life! Sometimes is nice to see Catherine wearing a Zara dress, or shopping at the grocery herself, but basically, we all know that this is the exception. Royals live in palaces, do not clean themselfs, when they travel they sleep at 5-6 stars hotel suites,they wear Prada dresses and Christian Louboutin shoes! ALL their life is scales upper to the lifelevel of any average of their citizens, and I think this has to be accepted OR to abolish monarchy!

What the purpose to have a Queen who dresses to the chinese discount shops at 1€ per piece, and does her ironing herself?

We should not be hypocrite.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Aristocracy

I'm not crazy about this outfit for a few reasons. First, I don't like "theme" clothes. The Duchess obviously loves navy, and navy-and-white combinations, so the nautical/military look is going to appeal to her, but she's overdone it. She has a great deal of navy/navy-and-white in her wardrobe, and at least three nautical/military-look outfits. I'm finding them boring.

Second, while she wears this outfit about as well as one could expect, it's just not particularly attractive or interesting. It has a sort of stiff 80's look to it, and the design of the blouse is gimmicky. (Though it's not nearly as awful as that terrible white and gold suit worn by Diana that someone posted above.)

Third, given the context of the visit, I really think the Duke and Duchess should have dressed down. I realize that Charles and Camilla wore the usual royal visit gear, but they are much older. Somehow a suit and tie on William and Alexander McQueen and heels on Catherine strike a wrong note.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Aristocracy

I agree...I think it would of been better, considering the location, if they had gone more casual.

MM
Old 08-19-2011, 09:42 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittoria View Post
Third, given the context of the visit, I really think the Duke and Duchess should have dressed down. I realize that Charles and Camilla wore the usual royal visit gear, but they are much older. Somehow a suit and tie on William and Alexander McQueen and heels on Catherine strike a wrong note.

Yes totally agree for the context of the event i think a more casual dress code would have been better.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:47 AM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

The problem with dressing down is that they would have looked out of place. I watched video of their visit and the people they are meeting are dressed up (suits, dresses, etc). The outfits William and Kate chose were appropriate for the event.

BBC News - Prince William and Kate visit Birmingham after riots

I like both the skirt and top, but separately. I think a simpler top would have worked better for this outfit. Although I will say the outfit looks better in motion.

I definitely agree with your post, fandesacs2003.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Aristocracy

soapstar, I looked at the video, and they could have toned down what they wore without looking out of place. People tend to dress up a bit for royal visits, but they can also be warned in advance if the royals intend to be fairly casual. I'm not talking about jeans, but it seems to me that William could have worn khakis and a blazer and gone tieless, and Catherine could have worn less a less expensive ensemble and left the heels at home.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

The overall look seems that Kate was trying a bit too hard for a statement IMO. The overall look does look good, too much going on with the blouse detailing and the skirt with gold buttons and the open hair. A simple blouse would work or either a very plain skirt/pants. That outfit is also not her age, it ages her quite a bit.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:25 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
This repeated discussion about level of life of royalty is very strange. On one side, YES they live a very expensive life, and it is true that in example, with the cost of this outfit, one family can live for a month!

On the other side, they are royals, and what we expect from them is also to live a high life! Sometimes is nice to see Catherine wearing a Zara dress, or shopping at the grocery herself, but basically, we all know that this is the exception. Royals live in palaces, do not clean themselfs, when they travel they sleep at 5-6 stars hotel suites,they wear Prada dresses and Christian Louboutin shoes! ALL their life is scales upper to the lifelevel of any average of their citizens, and I think this has to be accepted OR to abolish monarchy!

What the purpose to have a Queen who dresses to the chinese discount shops at 1€ per piece, and does her ironing herself?

We should not be hypocrite.
Amen to that!