The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #341  
Old 08-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Baroness of Books's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bookstacks, United States
Posts: 5,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess-royal
I have a VW dress and it's absolutely beautiful, so classic and nothing like Eugenie's monstrous royal wedding creation. She has a point about Kate's eyeliner, which to be frank is pretty bad. She looked so beautiful on her wedding day but her eyes were rimmed with thick black eyeliner and she was wearing way too much blusher. Sometimes her face is also really shiny. I just don't get why she wears so much make up.

As for the fashion, I'm a bit sceptical because before the engagement I always thought she dressed in a very mumsy, passé way: lots of tweed, long skirts, plain jewellery, wide jeans, brown knee-length boots, UGGs, cardis. She must have been working with personal shoppers or image consultants because since becoming engaged she's magically transformed into a human Barbie (I've heard that's Zara's nickname for her), with short skirts and huge glossy hair and a tan and brilliant white teeth and all the perfect fashion choices that were so not her style. She looks nice, but anyone can look nice with the time, money, and help that she's getting. Her everyday style is nothing special: if I could afford it I'd also wear skinny jeans, flats, and a Ralph Lauren jumper. I'd like to see her be a bit more inventive and just tone down on the make up.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
If that statement is truly the case then my opinion of Zara would plummet drastically, for certainly she would have to be aware that a statement like that would get around. Could you quote a source for that comment please?
I somewhat recalled hearing that "Barbie" comment awhile ago and found it in this link:

Talbot Church: Jealousy stalks Kate 'Barbie' Middleton - Commentators, Opinion - The Independent
__________________

  #342  
Old 08-13-2011, 10:01 PM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 6,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
What a load of old coblers! Or better still . . . . Bullswool!!!
__________________

__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #343  
Old 08-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Baroness of Books's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bookstacks, United States
Posts: 5,808
Oh, my, I hope that comment's directed at the story, not me. I merely posted the link in response to a question.
  #344  
Old 08-13-2011, 10:21 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Durham, United States
Posts: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Baroness View Post
I've thought about this, and I think it's more irritating - perhaps to Westwood and to other people- to refer to the Duchess as a "fashion icon" rather than a "style icon". I see a huge difference between the two terms. Fashion (to me at least) is comprised of what's hot at the moment, starting from the top with the famous designers and their runway creations, until the look trickles down for the masses to wear. On the other hand, an individual's style refers to the near-consistent way they dress. Thus, it can be easy to predict what someone would wear. I would call Kate a "style icon" because her critics and fans alike know her style of clothing. I feel the word "icon" has really lost its exclusivity these days, I associate it closer to an icon on a computer. Like folder filled with Issa wrap dresses, the color blue, and LK Bennett shoes.
I completely agree. When you think about it, the BRF are not fashionable particularly but indeed stylish, each in their own way. Diana probably came the closest to being "fashionable". Style is consistent, non-shocking and in good taste and that cannot always be applied to "fashion". Sometimes fashion is just for shock value ... and to keep filling the pockets of every one in the fashion industry. Just today I was reading online about "what is in for Fall", well guess what everything they pointed to that was new for Spring and Summer was very, very out for Fall and Winter. As to my comments re: VW being jealous .... I did not say that. I do think she was a bit miffed that she had not been called upon to offer up her designs and I will stand by that statement. If every criticism could be credited to "jealousy" that could be said about almost everyone here.
  #345  
Old 08-13-2011, 10:55 PM
Baroness of Books's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bookstacks, United States
Posts: 5,808
Personally, I stick to what's stylish and looks good on me rather than what's fashionable because it's "in" for that season and everyone's wearing it, regardless of whether it looks good on them or not. If Kate's philosophy is to gravitate to a look that's tasteful, elegant and suits her, then she is indeed stylish and not fashionable.
  #346  
Old 08-14-2011, 12:26 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Durham, United States
Posts: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Personally, I stick to what's stylish and looks good on me rather than what's fashionable because it's "in" for that season and everyone's wearing it, regardless of whether it looks good on them or not. If Kate's philosophy is to gravitate to a look that's tasteful, elegant and suits her, then she is indeed stylish and not fashionable.
I would agree whole heartedly. In any event it is a no situation because if Catherine went with the "new fasthions" each season she would certainly be criticized for that. I would much rather see her looking elegant and dignified and as you said tasteful.

My eyes sometimes hurt from some of the fashionable young women I see walking around (who clearly have not looked in the mirror, or if they did, they need glasses).

ETA, thanks for the link to that article, I do remember it now. After reading a couple of paragraphs I would have to say what I said the first time ... someone just trying to stir up trouble, IMO.
  #347  
Old 08-14-2011, 04:52 AM
princess-royal's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Baroness
I've thought about this, and I think it's more irritating - perhaps to Westwood and to other people- to refer to the Duchess as a "fashion icon" rather than a "style icon". I see a huge difference between the two terms. Fashion (to me at least) is comprised of what's hot at the moment, starting from the top with the famous designers and their runway creations, until the look trickles down for the masses to wear. On the other hand, an individual's style refers to the near-consistent way they dress. Thus, it can be easy to predict what someone would wear. I would call Kate a "style icon" because her critics and fans alike know her style of clothing. I feel the word "icon" has really lost its exclusivity these days, I associate it closer to an icon on a computer. Like folder filled with Issa wrap dresses, the color blue, and LK Bennett shoes.
She has a style, but I don't think it's iconic. It's not hard to team an Issa dress with heels (especially when you're working with personal shoppers). Coco Chanel and Grace Kelly were style icons in my view - Kate isn't. She's just someone who wears nice, minimalist clothes.

Also, I'm not suggesting that Kate wears the latest fashions. I just think it's silly to idolise her style, which isn't anything special. Everything she wears turns to gold, even if it's not that good. If Beatrice wore the same dresses as Kate there wouldn't be such a explosion of copycat looks.
  #348  
Old 08-14-2011, 10:39 AM
Baroness of Books's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bookstacks, United States
Posts: 5,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post

ETA, thanks for the link to that article, I do remember it now. After reading a couple of paragraphs I would have to say what I said the first time ... someone just trying to stir up trouble, IMO.
And to sell newspapers, because stirring up the pot with reports of supposed dissension and in-fighting within the royal ranks always grabs the public's attention!
  #349  
Old 08-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Super Baroness's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Coast, United States
Posts: 102
I wouldn't take too much stock in anything that comes from Talbot Church - their commentary is very sarcastic in the hopes of being humorous. And it is sometimes, I just read an article from Jan 5 that reveals that for the wedding, Charles proposed that the couple walk to the Palace while allowing time for guests to connect with their "sacred ancestors" through an aboriginal dreamsong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess-royal View Post
She has a style, but I don't think it's iconic. It's not hard to team an Issa dress with heels (especially when you're working with personal shoppers). Coco Chanel and Grace Kelly were style icons in my view - Kate isn't. She's just someone who wears nice, minimalist clothes.

Also, I'm not suggesting that Kate wears the latest fashions. I just think it's silly to idolise her style, which isn't anything special. Everything she wears turns to gold, even if it's not that good. If Beatrice wore the same dresses as Kate there wouldn't be such a explosion of copycat looks.
I still think the use of "icon" or "iconic" has changed in recent years. I would definitely consider Coco Chanel and Grace icons, but it is very difficult to carry over what that entails in today's world. The media loves to label things and people as iconic, ground-breaking, or revolutionary, even if it seems silly by the standards of the past.

I feel there is no way anything Beatrice wears would spark a frenzy - except of course for her infamous "hat." (But I think it's just because it was too easy to make fun of it). Beatrice is nowhere near as well-known/hyped up as Kate is. That being said, I've really liked things both women have worn, and if I saw a copycat for cheap I'd buy it!
  #350  
Old 08-14-2011, 05:13 PM
princess-royal's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Baroness View Post
I still think the use of "icon" or "iconic" has changed in recent years. I would definitely consider Coco Chanel and Grace icons, but it is very difficult to carry over what that entails in today's world. The media loves to label things and people as iconic, ground-breaking, or revolutionary, even if it seems silly by the standards of the past.

I feel there is no way anything Beatrice wears would spark a frenzy - except of course for her infamous "hat." (But I think it's just because it was too easy to make fun of it). Beatrice is nowhere near as well-known/hyped up as Kate is. That being said, I've really liked things both women have worn, and if I saw a copycat for cheap I'd buy it!
I'm going to start calling myself iconic now

Also, check out this dress: it's strikingly similar to the Reiss Shola, which I actually really loved.

Kate Capped sleeve potni roma bodycon Dress at boohoo.com
  #351  
Old 08-14-2011, 06:38 PM
Marika86's Avatar
Heir Apparant
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Week Team Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Villa San Giovanni, Italy
Posts: 4,457
The scarf that Catherine wore during the grocery shopping is Club Check Scarf by Aquascutum
__________________
Marika86
"It's very special, as Kate is very special. It's my way of making sure my mother didn't miss out on today and the excitement." Prince William, November 16 2010
  #352  
Old 08-14-2011, 06:57 PM
princess-royal's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marika86
The scarf that Catherine wore during the grocery shopping is Club Check Scarf by Aquascutum
On the 'What Kate Wore' Facebook page there were a few people who'd bought the scarf and said that it wasn't the same as the one she wore out shopping: theirs are shorter and can't be wrapped around the neck as much, amongst other differences. No one's sure but she might have more than one that are slightly different.
  #353  
Old 08-16-2011, 10:34 AM
PrincessofEurope's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: *, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,250
Nor sure whether its been posted before but the lace dress worn at Zara's wedding was also worn to a wedding of one of Kate's friends in summer 2010
http://madhattery.royalroundup.com/2...ate-middleton/
So that would make the Phillip's wedding the 4th outing for the dress (that we are aware of)
__________________
This is the stuff of fairytales

  #354  
Old 08-16-2011, 10:51 AM
KittyAtlanta's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KittyLand Junction, United States
Posts: 3,126
One definition of "icon" is "an object or person of uncritical devotion." In other words, an idol. I guess Kate is an icon of recycling, but not of "fashion." Nothing wrong with that.
  #355  
Old 08-16-2011, 04:28 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,042
I don't know if I'd describe Kate's style as iconic, if for no other reason than she hasn't really been around long enough to be an icon, but I've noticed that her style strikes a chord with many women in my demographic - late 20s or 30s, like to look well put together but don't have the time or inclination to be fashionistas, not necessarily wealthy but with some expendable income that every once in awhile gets used to buy clothes, etc. in the same price point of the things Kate wears. That is, her look is a realistic one for a relatively large group of people to copy - you don't have to be hard core into fashion to pull it off.

I think that's the point that people like Vivienne Westwood or any of these other designers who make comments about Kate's style might be missing, (I'm thinking mainly of the maturity comment, not so much the eye liner comment). Designers are surrounded by the 0.00001 percent of people who make clothing, hair and makeup an overriding priority in their lives. Which is fine, but the vast majority of women don't live and die by what Ms. Westwood, or any other designer, thinks is good or bad. Fashion isn't an intellectual exercise for most people; those who worry about whether their style is "mature" enough to wear a certain designer, for example, are probably the exception rather than the rule. Most of us just pick out something we like and can afford.
  #356  
Old 08-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Durham, United States
Posts: 1,330
Excellent .... well said.
  #357  
Old 08-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Daphoenyx's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Rosario, Argentina
Posts: 148
I too agree!
__________________

  #358  
Old 08-16-2011, 05:34 PM
Royal Newbie's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northern California, United States
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
I don't know if I'd describe Kate's style as iconic, if for no other reason than she hasn't really been around long enough to be an icon, but I've noticed that her style strikes a chord with many women in my demographic - late 20s or 30s, like to look well put together but don't have the time or inclination to be fashionistas, not necessarily wealthy but with some expendable income that every once in awhile gets used to buy clothes, etc. in the same price point of the things Kate wears. That is, her look is a realistic one for a relatively large group of people to copy - you don't have to be hard core into fashion to pull it off.

I think that's the point that people like Vivienne Westwood or any of these other designers who make comments about Kate's style might be missing, (I'm thinking mainly of the maturity comment, not so much the eye liner comment). Designers are surrounded by the 0.00001 percent of people who make clothing, hair and makeup an overriding priority in their lives. Which is fine, but the vast majority of women don't live and die by what Ms. Westwood, or any other designer, thinks is good or bad. Fashion isn't an intellectual exercise for most people; those who worry about whether their style is "mature" enough to wear a certain designer, for example, are probably the exception rather than the rule. Most of us just pick out something we like and can afford.
Beautifully said!
  #359  
Old 08-16-2011, 07:14 PM
princess-royal's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom
Posts: 64
I think we're being a little unfair to Vivienne Westwood here. Many of her designs are very simple and wearable and no doubt if Catherine stepped out in one of her dresses (and there are some that fit Catherine's style) we'd all be fawning over it. (And I find it's sometimes easier to throw together designer outfits, because the clothes are so well-cut and elegant you only need a dress and shoes.) Some of Catherine's stuff is affordable but I know that I can't go out and buy $300 sweaters and €600 dresses. A lot of her fashion looks quite simple and inexpensive but actually isn't. There's nothing wrong with that, but I don't particularly see her as an inspiration for ordinary women, especially in the current economic climate. She's no different than a normal celebrity: most famous people and models mix designer and high street, so it's hardly revolutionary :P If I did have the money for that sort of wardrobe, I'd probably want to make more colourful/interesting choices. I kind of feel sorry for her because her job forces her to wear some pretty boring outfits.
  #360  
Old 08-16-2011, 07:46 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Durham, United States
Posts: 1,330
Oh, I don't think you need to feel sorry for the Duchess of Cambridge at all. I think she is dressing as she likes and it suits her ... as to VW, I won't go there again, except to say that she should just have kept her mouth shut with the "maturity" comment. Maturity has nothing to do with wearing her designs. Catherine will probably continue to evolve but certainly it would be foolish for her to go out and make a number of purchases when she is not on full time royal duty. As you yourself said, given the economy it's a very wise decision.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Princess Letizia's Daytime Fashion Part 21: August 2011 - October 2011 iceflower Archives 394 10-28-2011 02:55 AM
Princess Letizia's Daytime Fashion Part 20: June 2011 - August 2011 JessRulz Archives 392 08-03-2011 03:57 AM
The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 2: June 2011 - July 2011 dazzling Archives 589 07-07-2011 02:35 AM
The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 1: May 2011 - June 2011 JessRulz Archives 399 06-11-2011 11:57 AM
Crown Princess Mary's Daytime Fashion Part 11: July 2010 - June 2011 iceflower Archives 402 06-08-2011 02:42 AM




Popular Tags
best gown best outfit birthday carl gustaf chris o'neill crown princess mary crown princess victoria current events denmark duchess of cambridge far-right fashion poll general news hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume infanta cristina infanta leonor infanta sofia iñaki urdangarín king carl gustaf king felipe king felipe vi king philippe king willem-alexander letizia liechtenstein margherita monarchy news november 2016 october 2016 picture of the week prince alexander prince carl philip prince daniel prince felix prince gabriel prince nicholas prince oscar princess claire of luxembourg princess estelle princess leonore princess madeleine princess of asturias princess sofia princess victoria queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia gala dresses queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queenmother queen rania queen rania australia november 2016 queen silvia state visit state visit to denmark stephanie sweden swedish royal family united kingdom victoria



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:58 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises