The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Before I moved to Scotland permanently, I lived for 15 years in a clutch of villages: Glossop, Hadfield and Tintwistle.

I can assure you that VW is not altogether well regarded in her native village....

Oh, and the "League of Gentlemen" was filmed in Hadfield.....

Tintwistle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Nobility

Thank God she doesn't have freckles as well. People would be telling her to get rid of those too :-) One can assume that Will likes her, just the way she is, and since she doesn't look like lady GaGa, I think she is fine.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenways View Post
All the Middleton ladies (well 3 of them at least) wear their eyeliner like that. Obviously that's how they learned to apply it. Could be time for a little softening of the liner, apparently, our eyes get smaller as we age and closing the size of the eye socket by painting its rim only makes them smaller again.
True, as we age we have to adjust not just our fashions but our makeup accordingly...not that Kate is old by any means but as we get older we have to consider that what looked good on us 10 years ago may not have the same results in our appearance now.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:21 AM
Nobility

I love Kate's style - her dress sense are more classic and timeless. But I do agree that her eyeliner make her looks harsh and serious. Despite smiling radiately, I really do not see any softness in her make up esp for her wedding as compare to other royal brides (for example, Charlene's perfect makeup during her religious wedding). I know they are two different individual with different characteristic but one could clearly see the difference in makeup skill by a professional. Anyway I still have this tingling feeling that she had tattooed eyeliner and she draws a thicker line over it every time. You could see the close up Calgary picture in the Mail Online VW article, her usual thick eyeliner was gone (maybe she did not draw it in full here) but the thin one is still there perfectly circling around her eye - too perfect to be hand drawn I think. And this maybe the reason why she prefer to do her own make-up even on her special day - she may not want a outsider to know that she has tattooed eyeliner.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:40 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
To be honest, this whole VW rant tickles me pink!

Here were a goodly number of us lauding her style. Her dress, her shoes (oooohh yummy), her hair,her hats, her . . . . OMG I just wish she wasn't so heavy handed with the dreaded eyeliner!!!!!

VW (not a designer whose style I particularly like) has the temerity to say that Catherine is, wait for it, too heavy handed with her eyeliner and wham! Let's bring back hanging or, how about a ritual burning at the stake!

Who are we to cast the first stone when so many of us have already taken a left-turn on the road to the moral high-ground on this topic?
For the record, I have never criticized Kate's make-up, or probably any royal's make-up, because I don't wear very much of it myself, so who am I to judge was is too much.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Majesty

This may belong in the 'Current Events' thread as well, but I thought since it deals with style, to post it here.

Kate Middleton's Style Secrets Revealed! - Starpulse.com

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:36 AM
Aristocracy

regarding Kate use of heavy eyeliner,I think who is used to wear heavy eyeliner including me,can't easily get rid of it as you always have comments like" you look tired"," don't you sleep well yesterday?" when you don't wear eyeliner.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:31 AM
Serene Highness

Yet, one can make the transition between heavy liquid liners and more subtle powdered ones, without getting the "what happened to you? have you been ill?" kinds of comments.

And then, one can transition to a less bold shade. These are things we all face as we style ourselves - and the 20's are an interesting decade (I have two 20 something daughters, they're both subtly changing their style as they move further and further away from heavier teen-style eyeliner). The younger one, who is a stylist would love to see Kate wear dark brown liner applied with a push brush. People would scarcely notice (well, we all would).

Really, at some point, Kate is going to either change that eyeliner or look very tired at 60, because ultimately, the heavier wet-applied liner is very aging when it gets into those wrinkled eyelids.

Not that liquid liner is always bad - there are some that are applied very lightly - simply lightening up a little and going with a charcoal shade instead of that black she uses would be a good thing - just once in awhile. Getting stuck wearing the same basic eyeliner every day is not necessary for anyone.

Seems many of us are on the same page - but apparently Kate isn't reading. Who wants to send her the link??
Old 08-13-2011, 08:19 AM
Courtier

I went from a heavier pencil liner to the powder; several years ago, but not without a fight. It does look more natural and if one likes to make it a little bolder, one can use either a thicker brush or wet the brush before using the powder.

I would like to add, that heavy liner or not, William fell in love with Catherine as is. I don't think that this will be a marriage as his fathers to Diana, but one that will last. If she chooses, she may one day read this board or take advise from someone, and lighten the eye makeup. But the end result, she is Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge, future Queen of England.

Hell, I might pull out the eye pencils - the Duke of York needs a good wife?:)
Old 08-13-2011, 08:25 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Catherine shopping in Wales wearing the same purple jumper she wore last week matched with a scarf, dark pants and hair in a bun.

Kate Middleton Shopping In North Wales Pictures
Old 08-13-2011, 09:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Kate Middleton Pictures in England Before Royal Wedding
Old 08-13-2011, 10:48 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
Catherine shopping in Wales wearing the same purple jumper she wore last week matched with a scarf, dark pants and hair in a bun.

Kate Middleton Shopping In North Wales Pictures
I think the darker wash jeans look a lot better with the sweater. Really like this particular outfit (and the fact that the weather is cool enough to be dressed like that...it's a scorcher here in NYC).

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Gentry

I have a VW dress and it's absolutely beautiful, so classic and nothing like Eugenie's monstrous royal wedding creation. She has a point about Kate's eyeliner, which to be frank is pretty bad. She looked so beautiful on her wedding day but her eyes were rimmed with thick black eyeliner and she was wearing way too much blusher. Sometimes her face is also really shiny. I just don't get why she wears so much make up.

As for the fashion, I'm a bit sceptical because before the engagement I always thought she dressed in a very mumsy, passé way: lots of tweed, long skirts, plain jewellery, wide jeans, brown knee-length boots, UGGs, cardis. She must have been working with personal shoppers or image consultants because since becoming engaged she's magically transformed into a human Barbie (I've heard that's Zara's nickname for her), with short skirts and huge glossy hair and a tan and brilliant white teeth and all the perfect fashion choices that were so not her style. She looks nice, but anyone can look nice with the time, money, and help that she's getting. Her everyday style is nothing special: if I could afford it I'd also wear skinny jeans, flats, and a Ralph Lauren jumper. I'd like to see her be a bit more inventive and just tone down on the make up.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess-royal View Post
I have a VW dress and it's absolutely beautiful, so classic and nothing like Eugenie's monstrous royal wedding creation. She has a point about Kate's eyeliner, which to be frank is pretty bad. She looked so beautiful on her wedding day but her eyes were rimmed with thick black eyeliner and she was wearing way too much blusher. Sometimes her face is also really shiny. I just don't get why she wears so much make up.

As for the fashion, I'm a bit sceptical because before the engagement I always thought she dressed in a very mumsy, passé way: lots of tweed, long skirts, plain jewellery, wide jeans, brown knee-length boots, UGGs, cardis. She must have been working with personal shoppers or image consultants because since becoming engaged she's magically transformed into a human Barbie (I've heard that's Zara's nickname for her), with short skirts and huge glossy hair and a tan and brilliant white teeth and all the perfect fashion choices that were so not her style. She looks nice, but anyone can look nice with the time, money, and help that she's getting. Her everyday style is nothing special: if I could afford it I'd also wear skinny jeans, flats, and a Ralph Lauren jumper. I'd like to see her be a bit more inventive and just tone down on the make up.
If that statement is truly the case then my opinion of Zara would plummet drastically, for certainly she would have to be aware that a statement like that would get around. Could you quote a source for that comment please?
Old 08-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham

If that statement is truly the case then my opinion of Zara would plummet drastically, for certainly she would have to be aware that a statement like that would get around. Could you quote a source for that comment please?
It was only in the Daily Mail so it's most likely not true, but it made me laugh because I can imagine Zara joking about her in that way. If she did say it though, I'm not sure she would have realised that it would become public. After all, tabloids use all kinds of unscrupulous means to get their stories..
Old 08-13-2011, 06:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
Im not sure why the backlash at VW since many of us here agree and have discussed many times that Kate's eye make up is indeed too heavy.
THANK YOU. I don't get it either. Westwood spoke her opinion and wasn't mean about it at all. Kate's eyeliner is too much and she her style is average, there's nothing wrong with average.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlklhm View Post
Anyway I still have this tingling feeling that she had tattooed eyeliner and she draws a thicker line over it every time. You could see the close up Calgary picture in the Mail Online VW article, her usual thick eyeliner was gone (maybe she did not draw it in full here) but the thin one is still there perfectly circling around her eye - too perfect to be hand drawn I think. And this maybe the reason why she prefer to do her own make-up even on her special day - she may not want a outsider to know that she has tattooed eyeliner.
Interesting thought. I've been puzzled by it because one would expect that there just would be some days she wouldn't bother - we all have those days. I've had another thought.

Many years back I sold make-up - a very strange thing for me to do since I don't wear it much myself - but so it was. I went to seminars on application and all that - remember none of it and am no wiser because of it - but I noticed a phenomenon happening with the women regarding their make-up. The women who had been selling make-up the longest invariably had the heaviest make-up. It seemed to me that as time wore on, after applying make-up day-after-day, the ideal one is striving for becomes ever more elusive as the skin ages (however mildly) and the face alters. The result is the women began to apply more and more make-up to sustain the illusory image (in their minds) that they had with just a dash of make-up when they were 18.

There is also the phenomenon of women never varying from the 'look' they had in their hey-day, or when the man they fell in love with first saw them (I speak from experience on this one - if my man liked that pert little 'do' of mine then it was his for the duration). If I'm not mistaken, in that famous picture of Kate in her see-thru negligee from the charity fashion show when she would have been about 18/19 - when she caught William's eye in a romantic way - Kate's eye make-up is very heavy. Hence, its a look she has been fond of and was part of the gestalt that drew William.

If she did indeed have a tattoo done - its done (and too bad) - because I don't believe there is a way to remove a tattoo that's that close to the eye. For her sake, I hope she wasn't that foolish - don't you think her mother would have put a stop to it? I guess we just have to wait and see - if over the next 5 years - even with her first-born cradled in her arms in the days after the wee one's birth - we see liner - you may be right, you may have divined it - and that's why she's being so proprietary about her make-up. Its not just a case of her being 'self-reliant' - though it may be just that, too.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:26 PM
Serene Highness

My complaint about VW is not really about her eyeliner comments. I am guessing that she must make some nice things/designs but the majority of what I have seen is major ghastly. She irritated me originally with her put down about Catherine's style not being "mature" (clearly because she was not wearing VW designs) well .... I just have to repeat ... I hope Catherine NEVER matures to that level. The eyeliner comment was, IMO, merely an add on as it has gotten some public comments and IMO she took advantage of that which was originally about Catherine's style. IMO Catherine has a classice, BRF "style." It is NOT VW style. I just found these comments to smack of (frankly) and older, 70's designer getting her dig in. I have said this several times ... it is NOT primarly about the eyelliner, which I admit could be softer but I just don't get my knickers in twist over something like that. :)

ETA indeed, I hope it is not tatooed either, Ouch!
Old 08-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham
My complaint about VW is not really about her eyeliner comments. I am guessing that she must make some nice things/designs but the majority of what I have seen is major ghastly. She irritated me originally with her put down about Catherine's style not being "mature" (clearly because she was not wearing VW designs) well .... I just have to repeat ... I hope Catherine NEVER matures to that level. The eyeliner comment was, IMO, merely an add on as it has gotten some public comments and IMO she took advantage of that which was originally about Catherine's style. IMO Catherine has a classice, BRF "style." It is NOT VW style. I just found these comments to smack of (frankly) and older, 70's designer getting her dig in. I have said this several times ... it is NOT primarly about the eyelliner, which I admit could be softer but I just don't get my knickers in twist over something like that. :)

ETA indeed, I hope it is not tatooed either, Ouch!
I don't think it was jealousy as such. It's often assumed that if someone criticises someone's style, they're jealous for whatever reason, but for someone who cares so much about fashion it must be irritating to have a woman who dresses nicely but quite boringly lauded as a style icon.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess-royal View Post
for someone who cares so much about fashion it must be irritating to have a woman who dresses nicely but quite boringly lauded as a style icon.
I've thought about this, and I think it's more irritating - perhaps to Westwood and to other people- to refer to the Duchess as a "fashion icon" rather than a "style icon". I see a huge difference between the two terms. Fashion (to me at least) is comprised of what's hot at the moment, starting from the top with the famous designers and their runway creations, until the look trickles down for the masses to wear. On the other hand, an individual's style refers to the near-consistent way they dress. Thus, it can be easy to predict what someone would wear. I would call Kate a "style icon" because her critics and fans alike know her style of clothing. I feel the word "icon" has really lost its exclusivity these days, I associate it closer to an icon on a computer. Like folder filled with Issa wrap dresses, the color blue, and LK Bennett shoes.

Closed Thread