The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 05:17 PM
Aristocracy

Thanks for posting.

Clearly the same dress, but the lapels and collar look disproportionately large and thick now. Somehow, it looked better in 2006.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:21 PM
Nobility

Despite the fact that she's probably lost 15 pounds since 2006, she doesn't seem to have altered the coat. I think it's really baggy on her and looks out of place for a summer wedding.

Didn't she wear the black and white thin cocktail dress to a wedding in June? That seemed like a better choice. Sure, it's a sorta royal wedding but try a nice light dress.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:39 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

Royal Wedding: Zara Phillips' wedding: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrive for the ceremony - hellomagazine.com

Not a big fan of this coat but Catherine looks very elegant. I like the hat
Old 07-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Aristocracy

I actually think that she had the coat tailored, since she IS thinner now, but I don't feel that it looks "baggy".

However, if she ever wants to wear it again, she should have the sleeves slightly shortened.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:57 PM
Serene Highness

why shorten/it looks fine
Old 07-31-2011, 03:38 AM
Nobility

I like the coat although she must have had it tailored as she is much thinner then when she first wore it.

I know everyone seems to like the hat but I really don't. I saw it described on another blog as looking like a potato chip/crisp and from the side angle I have to agree. Maybe I would have preferred it more if she had put her hair up??
Old 07-31-2011, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Catherine looks really elegant but the heavy fabric looks too heavy for summer time and the color does her nothing. As mentioned, the fact she has lost weight, she should've gotten that coat altered for a nicer fitting. I quite like her hat but I do find it a bit busy with that coat.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

I love the hat, wonder who made it? the coat i thought to heavy for a summer wedding! but ovrall she looks beautiful
Old 07-31-2011, 01:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes I agree ashelen the hat the nice the rest of it too big on her very small frame and the colour is wrong plain boring actually IMO
Old 07-31-2011, 02:59 PM
Aristocracy

For some time now "THE" colour to be seen in has been nude/beige/taupe/biscuit/mushroom or whatever the madeup name the fashionistas choose to give it. I have been associated with the fashion world for more years than are good for me and I don't think there is a harder, less forgiving, more aging colour. IMO it looks best on those with strong natural colouring, so whilst it does her no favours, the Duchess of Cambridge looks better in it than the Countess of Wessex. I have also noticed that on many daytime appearances Camilla wears colours that her skintone and blonde hair disappear into-such a shame when her options are unlimited. Still, with any luck, next seasons colour will be kinder.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:25 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaritsa View Post
For some time now "THE" colour to be seen in has been nude/beige/taupe/biscuit/mushroom or whatever the madeup name the fashionistas choose to give it. I have been associated with the fashion world for more years than are good for me and I don't think there is a harder, less forgiving, more aging colour. IMO it looks best on those with strong natural colouring, so whilst it does her no favours, the Duchess of Cambridge looks better in it than the Countess of Wessex. I have also noticed that on many daytime appearances Camilla wears colours that her skintone and blonde hair disappear into-such a shame when her options are unlimited. Still, with any luck, next seasons colour will be kinder.
I don't know about that: my daughter and I went shopping yesterday and the colors/styles that were out were, shall we say, AWFUL! Very busy abstract prints with clashing colors - we both looked at them and wondered who in their right mind would think that those would look good on ANYONE. My daughter is a perfect size six (American -five foot six, 105lbs.) and those prints would have made even her look huge. Let alone acid green, avocado green, pink, black and florescent yellow mixed together in one print. Hideous.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
I love the hat, wonder who made it?
Her hat looked quite similar to Sophie's, which was made by Jane Taylor.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:42 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
I don't know about that: my daughter and I went shopping yesterday and the colors/styles that were out were, shall we say, AWFUL! Very busy abstract prints with clashing colors -
The US tends to be at least a year behind London. The mushroom colors will probably make their way here in a year or so
Old 07-31-2011, 03:45 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fascinator View Post
The US tends to be at least a year behind London. The mushroom colors will probably make their way here in a year or so
I had no idea. Though I really cannot tell that much of a difference between what is worn here in NYC and what is worn by those who live in London/United Kingdom. Wonder why there's such a gap.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:01 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
You've hit the nail on the head. I think Catherine looks great in almost anything she wears is really due to the way she presents herself. She radiates confidence, and self-assurance. Her smile is probably her best feature. She just glows, and that puts people at ease.
This is wonderfull sentiment and she genuinely look so happy and comfortable, she was beaming. The outfit although very neutral, I do not think it was close enough to white, to upstage the bride, any hint of colour would have drawn more attention. It looked very sunny, but remembering her position she must dress appropriatly and by all accounts it was'nt that warm and quite windy. The dress coat and hat looked classic and sophisacated, I actually liked her hat, it had a wonderful shape and structure. Her hair can get some criticism ;o) but it looked wonderfull clipped back, which also showed off the positioning of her hat and her fantastic earrings!!!
Old 08-01-2011, 12:41 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Kate Middleton turns up to Zara Phillips royal wedding in coat she wore in 2006 | Mail Online

I didnt think it looked heavy or baggy (unlike the flimys v-neck dresses Kate loves so much) but very classy. I found the overall look very fitting to the wedding. Kate is a royal and I am glad that she looked different than the celebrity ladies attending.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Serene Highness

i agree its nice to see someone dressing in a classic way and i lov the hat
Old 08-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Heir Apparent

I do think Catherine looked very elegant and understated at the wedding in Edinburgh. I also think she was dressed in a delibrately understated way so as not to take away the limelight from Zara and Mike. The hat, IMO, helped refresh the ensemble in a very classic way. All in all, I would suggest that Kate got a 7/10 for her appearance at the wedding.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Nobility

I very like that hat. I´m not a big fan of the beige coat but Catherine looked very pretty and elegant
Old 08-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
I love the hat, wonder who made it? the coat i thought to heavy for a summer wedding! but ovrall she looks beautiful
Phillip Treacey made the hat.